3D music video shot entirely with two iPhone 4s

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

3D music video shot entirely with two iPhone 4s

Post by Fredz »

Indie 3D artists created the video with the help of an app and lots of testing

http://vimeo.com/20335633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The self-proclaimed "indie stereoscopic 3D" aficionados at Atomic Cheesecake Productions have produced a 3D music video using two iPhone 4s, the Almost DSLR app, and a bit of post-processing. The video was produced for musician Luke Hagendorf's Changes We Don't Understand and requires a pair of red and cyan 3D glasses to get the full effect.

Utilizing Almost DSLR for precise control over the 5-megapixel cameras on the iPhones, director Ryan Suits was able to work his way around the obvious limitations of shooting a music video with two smartphones. Ryan has also posted a short video of the testing process used to find the perfect marriage between the iPhone 4 and the 3D effect added in post, as well as the rig used to shoot the video (pictured below).

Source : Tecca
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 3D music video shot entirely with two iPhone 4s

Post by cybereality »

Totally impractical, but it seems anything even remotely connected with Apple gets picked up all over the internet.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I just posted this because I found the mount and their test video and comments about cameras synchronisation (3rd link) quite interesting. Your mileage may vary however...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I just get annoyed how all the internet is obsessed with iPhone and wants to lick Steve Jobs' toe-jam off his feet. I'll pass.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I can understand that, but this news has a more general purpose, maybe I should have explained that since it doesn't seem evident.

It shows that it's possible to film a 3D movie with 2 phones and gives an explanation of the type of shots you can and can't do. I think someone who doesn't already own a dual-rig has more chance to find a friend with the same phone than with the same camera to start experimenting 3D filming at no cost.

This hatred towards iPhone or everything Steve Jobs sells reminds me a lot of the anti-3D stance you can see everywhere on the Web. Weird indeed...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I don't necessarily hate Apple. I think they have some solid products, like the iPod (of course). But I have legitimate reasons for not wanting to drink their kool-aid. Mainly that they promote closed, proprietary systems. You can play in their "walled garden" as long as you buy all your hardware and software from them, or pay a tax on 3rd party applications. Want to develop for their platform, you need to buy their computers, their OS, use only their development tools, and pay a heavy cut for each sale. They are probably the worst thing that could happen to the computer/tech industry. I don't necessarily want them to go out of business (cause thats no good either) but if they win the world will look like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BPFODsob1I[/youtube]

And don't you use Linux? Apple is like the complete opposite of that whole movement.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I don't get you there, Microsoft is the exact same thing for PC - even worse in fact - but you don't have a problem with this and you use Windows. Really, I can't understand this attitude towards Apple.

As for Apple not allowing third-party languages or tools for iOS, it's plain wrong, and you can also develop an app for iOS entirely on Windows without owning a Mac. You can also perfectly install your own developped apps if you jailbreak your phone without paying a dime to Apple, it's legal in the US and tolerated elsewhere.

As for me, yes I'm a Linux user, but I also use Windows and iOS. I've chosen Linux in part because of the openess, but mostly because it's far easier to program for it and it's a more solid system. And in the background, iOS is a Unix system too (BSD flavor). Apple has also made significant contributions to free software, while Microsoft is trying to kill them with their stupid patents.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I was thinking more about the mobile space, in terms of iOS versus Android. The desktop market is a totally different beast altogether.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I have a couple of Apple Ipads. I've loaded them up with Apps and music. My family loves them. We hardly turn on the Windows desktop now. I'm new to the Apple world. But my family and I can see a great product here. Apple has done a superb job of "form and function" with some of there products. I'm looking at all their equipment now. I'm not saying I'll be buying all of it. But they have earned a serious consideration from me.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”