Absolutely, the Best Way to Watch 3D without glasses LOL

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Absolutely, the Best Way to Watch 3D without glasses LOL

Post by Silversurfer »

[youtube-hd]<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uef17zOCDb8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uef17zOCDb8&hl ... &version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>[/youtube-hd]

So, where do I sign up for the beta testing program? [Neon Margarita via The Daily What]

http://gizmodo.com/5734541/this-is-abso ... Gizmodo%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Silversurfer

Re: Absolutely, the Best Way to Watch 3D without glasses LOL

Post by Silversurfer »

.....a man went to the doctors complaining of both eyes twitching uncontrollably and the doctor told him to stop watching 3-D television in France.....as the international meaning of auto stereo 3-D seems to have been incorrectly translated in that country. :o
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

:woot
That can't be healthy!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

AHAHaAhAhAhAhaaHA!!!! Comedy Gold!!!!

You know, I actually tried to do that the other day. I had my 3d image viewer app set on wiggle mode so it would flip every half second. Then I tried to just blink my eyes really quick. It didn't really work so well, but for a split-second I almost thought I saw some 3D. LOL!
Zerofool
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zerofool »

A really nice find, I lmao when I saw it :). And a great idea by that guy, I can't believe he actually managed to do it.
nV 3DTV Play, Geo-11, Tridef on 2014 55" Samsung H7000 (aka H7150) @ 1080p60 Checkerboard-3D | Valve Index | RTX 2080Ti, i7-6700K, 32GB 3200CL14, 1+2TB SSDs | Win10 v2004 | DAN A4-SFX | G27
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

There you are! No complaints about dorky glasses anymore! :mrgreen:
Awesome find and just unbelievable! :shock:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

This video was also posted on Engadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/15/man- ... eye-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go read the comments. It seems a bunch of people thought this was real. Fools.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:It seems a bunch of people thought this was real. Fools.
actually, I don't see why this couldn't be real. Probably only 20fps, but it could work. I doubt it would ever become a commercial product though.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I never bothered figuring if the eyes were in sync with the monitor or not because it's not important for the gimmick (it's of course a joke...) I'm amazed he can do this so fast... His voice becomes slightly distorted when the lid-flickering is "enabled" so it seems he's actually able to do this physically somehow with or without help from the frankendevices.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I'm pretty sure he's using editing tricks to do the effect. I mean, you guys have heard about this thing called computer graphics, right?
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cybereality wrote:I'm pretty sure he's using editing tricks to do the effect. I mean, you guys have heard about this thing called computer graphics, right?
I wasn't sure from Likays comment if he was being sarcastic- I hope he was
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

No need to stop worrying about my health. 8-)
Somewhow i actually do think he's showing off an awesome partytrick. Editing was the first thing coming into my mind but the movements seems too real/irregular for it. The sound is also convincing. However the principle will of course not work.
(now going back below me rock continuing smoking something.) :D
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Seriously, it doesn't take much current to cause muscles to contract, it just needs a high voltage. The devices that he puts on the temples would have IR receivers in much the same way as normal shutter glasses, but emit a current that would stimulate the muscle into contracting rather then causing an LCD to darken.
See the following for EMS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical ... timulation
This is entirely possible, and given the crazy people out there, I'd say probable, but quite useless.
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTGv-EvK ... re=related[/youtube]

OMG, taken to the next extreme!
I love this guy attempt to stop laughing one-minute 30 seconds into this video.

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

LOL! But don't tell me you think that video is real too.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:LOL! But don't tell me you think that video is real too.
Cyber, I'm not sure why you're so insistent that these can't be real. If you're ever used a TENS machine, you'll know how powerfully a very small current can make your muscle contract. These are just stimulating smaller (twitch) facial muscles rather then the larger muscles.
Personally, I'd not be comfortable attaching a tens machine to my face since, being so close to the brain, I'd be concerned that a trickle of the current may damage something there, but it all is quite doable.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Oh, I'm not saying it couldn't be real. I'm saying its not. Big difference.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:LOL! But don't tell me you think that video is real too.
Cyber, I'm not sure why you're so certain that these can't be real. If you've ever used a TENS machine, you'll know how powerfully a small current can cause a muscle to contract. The difference is that these guys are essentially using a TENS machine on the smaller twitch muscles on the face, which will get a much faster response.
If you've never used a TENS machine before, I suggest you try one out... it's a weird feeling having something else controlling your muscles.
I do have to admit that the original video in this post MAY not be real since the size of the contraptions used would have to have electrodes very close together which may not be able to stimulate the muscle enough. I'd rather live with an open mind and not just dismiss it entirely.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, I have tried TENS before. I am not saying the concept is impossible. Technically speaking, its within the realm of possibility. I am just saying that the video is fake, mainly just based on the guys demeanor and the general production values of the video. Clearly it is done as a joke, which basically gives away the fact that its a hoax. In that second video the dude even cracks a smile at one point. Clearly bogus. Whether or not the science is feasible is irrelevant to the fact that the videos themselves are clearly humor.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

What are you guys talking about. I tried this at home. Its awesome!! absolutely NO GHOSTING. Its compatable with Izod, DDD, and nvidia. I'm trying it on a 5760X1080P triple screen set-up. WOW!!!!!! ABSOLUTELY mind blowing resolution. Im telling ya this is not fake. Very minimal loss of light. Wow I'm getting another transformer I'm sure I can get even more performance out of my eye lids.

Cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

UPDATE: I switched to 2 car batteries and a honeywell RE-7536 rheostate. You can actually set convergence very high with this set-up and dial in the shuttering frequency. It easily rivals some of the best holographic projections that I've seen. After about 15 minutes your eye lids become strangely numb and it doesn't hurt at all. I'm selling all my shutter glasses now. This is INCREDIBLE. I really didn't think it would work but its awesome.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

There's no question that the video is a joke and a good one too. However i'm absolutely not as sure as cybereality that the movie has to be manipulated:
1: The eyelids are definitely not going at 60Hz and it doesn't have to since vids are captured at a lot slower rate (24/30Hz).
2: There are irregularities on how the eyelids moves throughout the movie (in the end more or less only vibrating a little) which at least with me seeds some doubts that the entire thing we see is fake.
3: His voice "trembles", or what it's called, when the device is turned on which implies he's actually running high voltage/low current through the electrodes.
4: There are diodes that blinks (internal amv) when powered. However they blink at a steady rate, not variable. In the vid they start at a low frequency and then increases in speed... Don't really know what to say about it but anyway....

Theory about maing the vid at all: The guy seems working with visual effects and 3d and maybe had this as a personal but somewhat failed project and then decided to make a good joke out of it. So yes: I do think some parts of the video is real but as a 3d-device it's of course a joke.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Guys, the dude who made it is Francois Vogel, a French video artist known for his "arresting visuals". Its so far from real, its not even funny.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

UPDATE #2: No way. This is the real deal. I switch to a more compact li-poly battery 3 cell running in parallel. The honeywell RE-7536 rheostate allows for perfect synch adjustments. My current set-up will stay in synch for about 15 minutes. Which is just fine. because your eye's become dry from the movement. I recommend visine every 15 min. I asked my wife who is a neurosurgeon at U of M if there was any danger to this tech. She just suggested that we don't let the battery leads touch. So with her blessing I ran this set-up with an Nvidia 580 GTX- over clocked of course, for about 4 hours last night. Just absolutely ZERO, I mean ZERO ghosting. Absolutely blows every other 3D tech out of the water. I'm getting ride of my bulky shutter glasses now. But hey, some of you think its not going to work- your wrong. If you don't want to be one of the cool guys with 120hz eye lid tech- so be it.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
gamergal8292
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gamergal8292 »

Lol, that video clip is too funny! I somehow don't think that this is the way to watch 3d 8-) . I wish it were that simple to watch without glasses...I think it would be a lot cheaper and easier to watch movies if you didn't have the burden of glasses.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

gamergal8292 wrote:I wish it were that simple to watch without glasses...I think it would be a lot cheaper and easier to watch movies if you didn't have the burden of glasses.
Its even simpler than that:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8CHvX6WkbY[/youtube]

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”