MSI follows fate's whispers, intros 24-inch Wind Top S-3D

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

MSI follows fate's whispers, intros 24-inch Wind Top S-3D

Post by Silversurfer »

Typical, right? As the 3D craze flows from the cinema to the television and onto the PC, it was just a matter of time before one of MSI's Wind Top all-in-ones shipped with support for the third dimension. By most accounts, the new Wind Top AE2420 3D looks like a mildly larger version of the AE2220 we peeked late last year, touting a 24-inch 1080p multitouch panel, support for shutter glasses (a single pair is included), Core i5 or i7 CPU options and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD5730 pushing the pixels. There's also a pair of 5-watt speakers built-in, not to mention an Ethernet jack, VGA output and a handful of USB 2.0 sockets. Mum's the word on pricing, but MSI is expected to have this bad boy on display as Computex kicks off early next week. Yeah, you know we'll be there pretending to be embarrassed while donning the spectacles.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXjHsa35 ... r_embedded[/youtube]

Permalink | MSI | Email this | Comments
Article:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/29/msi- ... ae2420-3d/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: MSI follows fate's whispers, intros 24-inch Wind Top S-

Post by cybereality »

Hmm.. shutter glasses and an ATI card. I wonder if this will work for gaming.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Silversurfer »

well spotted,they didn't show any gaming applications :?
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

cybereality wrote:Hmm.. shutter glasses and an ATI card. I wonder if this will work for gaming.
I don't think so, but let's see what MSI will state in the official PR.
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

Mobility 5730 (and Core i5/i7) would be quite a bit overkill if it does not do gaming ... but quite underpowered for 1080p S3D gaming (which is of course very demanding). Probably good enough most of the time for 720p S3D gaming, hopefully they support it.
Last edited by ssiu on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

[deleted accidental duplicate message]
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

ssiu wrote:Mobility 5730 (and Core i5/i7) would be quite a bit overkill if it does not do gaming
Sure it will, but we were talking about "gaming with shutter glasses", i.e. stereoscopic gaming, and without a clear update on the status of 120 Hz shutter glasses support for ATI cards and 3rd party stereo drivers and applications, it looks a bit uncertain now.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

IZ3D said they would, in fact, be supporting shutterglasses with ATI but I think only particular model displays. They alluded to something coming out soon, maybe it was this.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

Great. http://forum.iz3d.com/blog/?permalink=2980" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So instead of just getting a $500 120 Hz monitor, shutter glasses pack and iZ3D driver license for my high-end Radeon HD, I need to buy the whole all-in-one PC pack for $2500, which has an inferior Mobility Radeon card? Suddently a return to Nvidia starts to make some sense.
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

cybereality wrote:IZ3D said they would, in fact, be supporting shutterglasses with ATI but I think only particular model displays.
Is that only particular models to start with (for the first x months, while sorting out all business/technical issues), but eventually will allow us to buy a $50 driver that works with all 120Hz monitor?

If not then it is bad -- perhaps even worse than NVIDIA ...
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

They'd better support that Asus PG267H monitor... :E
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

Looks like there has been some misunderstaning. The phrase about "particular models" refers to the OEM licenses which are free for the customer but are naturally locked to specific make and model. When it's ready for public release, 120 Hz shutter output will be provided in a full-featured version of the driver and will be purchaseable through standard iZD licenses :P (No pointing fingers, but certain iZ3D developers need to improve their English a little bit :roll:)

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”