Vireio Perception 4.x Alpha 2 Support Thread

This forum is for the brand new Vireio Perception virtual reality drivers. History in the making!
pegnose
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Vireio Perception 4.x Alpha 2 Support Thread

Post by pegnose »

Grayarea wrote:Life it would seem is stranger than fiction!

Latest Fallout 4 update has "fixed" my problem, however I have no tracking when using the openvr profile with steamvr enabled, and the colour palette of the world is fairly screwed up!

See attached screen shot.

Impressionistic Fallout 4 FTW!
I get this when I don't disable the things in the bilago tool.
Grayarea
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Grayarea »

pegnose wrote:I get this when I don't disable the things in the bilago tool.
I have to plead ignorance as it was the first time using that utility, but you are dead right colour is now back to normal.

OK very impressive!

Impressions so far;

Scene flashes every half a second or so.
view is very zoomed in, cannot see any hud elements, Pip boy is fully rendered as well and is too big to see in the FOV,I am going to play with config files to see if I can fix these.
Rotation of the head translates into the game but x and y movements track the games point of view, not sure if this is expected or not.
rocknrollerj
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rocknrollerj »

Can someone please make a 5min. settings and launch sequence video?
This has become more frustrating then getting Elite Dangerous to work with the Vive, and i bought Fallout 4 just for VR.
I know its now officially coming in 2017... but would still like to try this out.

I've been trying every day and don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I don't think I'm getting injection, but I'm not exactly sure how to check.
Is the ini file supposed to inject (be visible and editable) after loading the aquap file?
Would we then have to edit the file's HUD settings every time we play as per the OpenVR instructions?
Wouldn't it be easier to just provide the ini file with the correct settings?

I've tried everything suggested in the instructions and this thread; I also tried loading the OpenVR stereo aquap file into perception...

I don't find the OpenVR_VirieoPerception .ini file in any folder (Fallout 4 exe or the other folder that Bilago sets for ini files)

Both the Bilago/Perception software is new to me, so I'm having a tough time.
I'm not sure if I'm running Perception as Admin because there is no toggle button (I can't remember if this was a first-time launch setting?).

A 5min. video would clear up a lot of confusion, and save a lot of time for everyone...
pegnose
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pegnose »

rocknrollerj wrote:Can someone please make a 5min. settings and launch sequence video?
This has become more frustrating then getting Elite Dangerous to work with the Vive, and i bought Fallout 4 just for VR.
I know its now officially coming in 2017... but would still like to try this out.

I've been trying every day and don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I don't think I'm getting injection, but I'm not exactly sure how to check.
Is the ini file supposed to inject (be visible and editable) after loading the aquap file?
Would we then have to edit the file's HUD settings every time we play as per the OpenVR instructions?
Wouldn't it be easier to just provide the ini file with the correct settings?

I've tried everything suggested in the instructions and this thread; I also tried loading the OpenVR stereo aquap file into perception...

I don't find the OpenVR_VirieoPerception .ini file in any folder (Fallout 4 exe or the other folder that Bilago sets for ini files)

Both the Bilago/Perception software is new to me, so I'm having a tough time.
I'm not sure if I'm running Perception as Admin because there is no toggle button (I can't remember if this was a first-time launch setting?).

A 5min. video would clear up a lot of confusion, and save a lot of time for everyone...

I am not the video guy, so I am trying to go through it step by step. I'd like to be corrected if I state something wrong.

1. You got the Steam version of FO4. You have internet connection, Steam goes online, so Steam is up to date and so is FO4. Make sure by checking the update settings!

2. You have a HTC Vive VR headset. You already used it successfully, meaning that Steam VR is installed and ready to go.

3. You open the Bilago tool and disable the options mentioned in the green Vireio pop-up screen of the 'Fallout4_OpenVR_x64' profile (take a screenshot, if necessary). Look around: the Bilago tool has several tabs. You can also disable Vsync with it and set the "iPresentInterval" to 0 (fps cap; first tab, I believe). Don't let out the "Decals" (different tab than the motion blur and ambient occlusion stuff). An option is disabled if it is *not* lighting up blue. Don't forget to save in the Bilago tool -> the options are written to disk which also sets the respective FO4 config files to read-only (important for rolling back the settings).

4. If you have a G-Sync display, you might want to disable that option in the NVidia control center. Don't know whether it has any effect (for me it doesn't).

5. You have downloaded the Vireio Perception Alpha 2 and copied the OpenVR API file according to the further OpenVR instructions (as mentioned in the greenish instruction file) to the (Steam app) FO4 executable dir.

Now you are good to go, here is how to actually start FO4 in VR:

6. Steam must be running.

7. Some say that Steam VR must be started now - for me that wasn't working so far. If you do, you need to have the Steam Desktop Theater disabled.

8. Start the FO4 launcher from within Steam (the little borderless Windows displaying the power suit). You can also lower the graphics settings (recommended with most Graphics hardware out there for VR) - but remember to do that *before* you use the Bilago tool, as it sets the config/ini files to read only.

9. Start perception_64.exe (filename?) with admin rights (otherwise it might not inject), select the correct profile (if it isn't there, your download is corrupt -> download again), read the greenish instructions and close the instructions window (might not be necessary), but not Perception itself.

10. Run FO4 from its launcher - it should become visible on the HMD, as well. Load a save game by 3x pressing 'Enter'.

11. Enjoy the view, or even gameplay with a Radeon GPU and XBox controller.

Or be disappointed, because you bought an expensive game for an alpha release VR injection driver (why did you?). You are lucky, however, as Bethesda is planning to re-release this game in VR, too. You only have to wait until 2017. Let's hope that they don't push update after update now to sabotage 3rd party projects like this one.

PS: I didn't change anything in the 'VireioPerception_OpenVR.ini' file, yet. It doesn't seem to be necessary to get injection.

EDIT: Make sure that every tool is disabled that creates an in-game overlay (like the Steam overly, Fraps, etc.).
Grayarea
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Grayarea »

Has anyone been able to zoom out the view in the vive?

Currently it is like playing the game with your nose against a 27" screen, the fov is very limited and this seriously limits your situational awareness.

I have played with several parameters;

fWorldScale does not seem to alter much.
fAspectRatio appears to make the displayed fov narrower as you reduce the value but the height is unaffected so everything appears squashed.

This youtube video appears to suggest full head tracking in the fallout world should work, as the guy moves his head the point of view moves in game;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWeY__JKqbM

This is not what I am finding. When I move my head the only one that translates into the game is turning the vive on the z axis, x and y only move the in game world view with my head. There is no translation in game.

Not sure if that is clear. The only way I can alter x and y positioning in the vive is by using the mouse or wasd head movement has no effect other than "tilt".
EisernSchild
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by EisernSchild »

Fallout 4 VRBoost pointers are again lost due to latest update from Bethesda, so no tracking is working. Currently rescanning, hope to be able to provide an updated profile today or tomorrow !!
rocknrollerj wrote:Can someone please make a 5min. settings and launch sequence video?
Did a quick instruction video on youtube : (beside that follow the instructions from pegnose)

https://youtu.be/ex-eyympg6A
Grayarea wrote:Has anyone been able to zoom out the view in the vive?
Press <LThumb> to drag the HUD to a fixed position in cyberspace. Alternatively, you can choose "MTBS3D" at the bottom of your SteamVR dashboard.

You can customize (size, position, color,...) both the secondary HUD and the dashboard virtual game screen, please read "//perception//instructions//openvr//openvr_instructions.txt". You can even bind the HUD to your head position (=device 0).
Corpusdeus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Corpusdeus »

I have a similar problem to GrayArea, above. However, my screwed up image is only on the left eye, making it impossible to even play as an animated impressionist painting! As per other reports, head tracking is not working, either.

EDIT: I realized that the Tweaker did not save my settings. I disabled the alert message that was preventing the save, and it now works. However, the aiming reticule is off-center in one or both eyes, as they do not align in my sight. I'm going cross-eyed trying to get my eyes to compensate. I wonder if this is a resolution problem or something like that?

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention my wares. Windows 10, Radeon R295X2, Oculus Rift CV1.

EDIT 3: I got a screen shot that is actually demonstrating the misalignment of each eye:
Screenshot (3).png
If you look at the right edge of the reticule, you'll clearly see that one eye is several pixels off from the other. I find this to be more nauseating than any motion sickness.

FINAL EDIT (I HOPE): I think I figured it out. The reticule is part of the HUD, and the HUD floats as a layer in front of the game, itself, similar to layers in Photoshop. This is why there is a perspective difference on both reticule and subtitles (parallax). The only thing I can think of to correct this would be to "flatten" (again referencing Photoshop) the HUD to the same depth as the world. I doubt this can be done without editing the game engine, though.

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pegnose
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pegnose »

Corpusdeus wrote:
If you look at the right edge of the reticule, you'll clearly see that one eye is several pixels off from the other. I find this to be more nauseating than any motion sickness.

FINAL EDIT (I HOPE): I think I figured it out. The reticule is part of the HUD, and the HUD floats as a layer in front of the game, itself, similar to layers in Photoshop. This is why there is a perspective difference on both reticule and subtitles (parallax). The only thing I can think of to correct this would be to "flatten" (again referencing Photoshop) the HUD to the same depth as the world. I doubt this can be done without editing the game engine, though.

Thoughts?
You have this in other games, I think you can set this in quakespasm (Quake in VR, on DK2 e.g.). You can have the reticule projected on the first intersecting surface, but that is very disconcerting, because it constantly jumps in distance as you are looking aroung. I would prefer a constant place in depth.
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Ok, here are updated game profiles for OpenVR and Oculus, i'll create OSVR tomorrow : (just replace old files in "//perception//game_profiles")

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlbDrJhGgQm7hi55qKmtXM-ksdrv
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlbDrJhGgQm7hi9aQ0mxVy1Brzbp

Both Head and Positional tracking should work now again, did not test the Oculus profile though, no device attached here.
pegnose
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pegnose »

Cool, thanks!
Corpusdeus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Corpusdeus »

I just tried to use the Oculus and the new profile doesn't seem to be working. :( The middle mouse button also no longer zooms out when held to give the flat-screen view.
Thanks for the quick work, and I'm standing by for that new profile!

I was about to just buy VorpX, but your rapid response has encouraged my patience. Thanks!!!!
Grayarea
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Grayarea »

Confirming head tracking is working great in the new profile(for openvr), cannot wait for nvidea graphics to be sorted out.

One strange thing is that after using Perception and saving, the arms in first person are all elongated when using outside of Vireio.

I had to use an earlier save to get the normal view back.
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

@Grayarea : To set back the FOV for your arms playing FO4 without Vireio please open the game console and type in "fov 90" for 90 degree fov.

@Corpusdeus : Sorry if the Oculus profile does not work properly, i have no device here to fully test. Thx for your patience, the team will do more Oculus testing soon.
Strmtrper6
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Strmtrper6 »

When I get to the step to add symlinks to the Bioshock 2 SP folder, it says no compatible games found. Is there a manual way to do this?
Michelangelo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Michelangelo »

What are the general guidelines to use Vireio Perception 4.x Alpha 2 + Steam + VIVE?

Is this correct?

1) Install the symlinks using the DLLInstaller
2) Start Steam (as admin) and disable GameTheater. Steam Overlay is also required to be disabled? because I do use Steam Controller and it requires Steam Overlay
3) SHOULD I START STEAM VR or not??? currently SteamVR seems to be the only way to turn the headset on.
4) Should I start the game first (as admin) or Vireio Perception (as admin) first???
5) what is the config of the VIREIO PERCEPTION I should use for HTC VIVE? because when I launch it, the screen says "Oculus Profile: Default"...so...is there a way to change to VIVE PROFILE? also I have options for the headset and another one..should I touch anything before launching the game?
6) should I choos any profile in VIREIO PERCEPTION v4.x? there seems to be only profiles for Fallout 4....what about all the games mentioned in the MANUAL? where are those profiles????? for Example...I´m trying to run SKYRIM or Borderlands 2 or maybe Serious Sam 3...or maybe Dead Island Riptide Definitive edition.... WHERE ARE THOSE PROFILES???

RIGHT NOW...the only result I get is the game starting in stereoscopic but IN THE MONITOR!! the headset is off and without any image at all...

HEEEEELP ANYONE???
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi !

Once again: DX9 support is in the works, can't say when this is finished now. Vireio v4 only supports Fallout4, more DX11 games also in the works.

Seems Fallout4 pointers are broken again due to latest DLC update from Bethesda. We will provide a definitive profile once we think there are no new Fallout 4 patches for some time.

Regards, Denis
chiisama
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by chiisama »

Tested with Oculus Rift CV1, Win10 64, nvidia 1080, Fallout from Steam (so with latest patches)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

chiisama wrote:Tested with Oculus Rift CV1, Win10 64, nvidia 1080, Fallout from Steam (so with latest patches)
Hi chiisama !

Please turn off "Depth of Field" using the Fallout 4 tweaker as noticed on the Vireio game profile window. It sometimes changes back to default "on" setting, so you sometimes have to reset it off.

Beside that i guess both head and positional tracking is no more working due to the latest game update from Bethesda. We will soon update our profile. And after alpha stage, for the final release of Vireio v4, we will include options to easily update to newer game profiles.

Regards, Denis
Gekko
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Gekko »

Folks, take this as an advice, not as an offense.

I own a Vive and i love Fallout. I was surprised to find your work here and might be a revolutionary development. Truely.
It MIGHT be revolutionary. Because i have no clue how to get your work running.
And this is because of a total lack of information you provide (NO offense, just criticism!).
With the Alpha2 package for Vive+Fallout4 you provided a documentation, listing dozens of games for the Rift and showing up a procedure (run VireioDLLInstaller.exe as an admin and point to the steam-games-folder). Although my whole HDD is full of games you are supporting, the only output i got was "there are no supported games". Ah. Ok. Heading to the forums. Finding people who reported they got it running. Followed their steps. Ah. Ok. There's an instruction showing up when starting Perception_x64.exe! How did i had to know i need to start it? No idea. Geek stuff. I'm into badly documented drivers technology since i got my first Voodoo Card from Voodoo Labs ages ago...even then, all that OpenGL mess you had to solve was well descripted somewhere. But i barely get the information needed to run your work. I followed each step on that instruction card after running the Perception_x64.exe. Hit START on the F4 launcher. Nothing. Switched the order of starting tools and F4 lanucher several times. But every time i start the game just nothing happens.
So, IF you want other people to participate and to get your work appreciated, you urgently need to either do a typework of 10 minutes to describe each step to be known to get this working or you have to make up some youtube clip to show it. Because the way you urge interested people into puzzling their basic instructions together is an undiscribable pain. I stop my efforts to get it working now and i hope you get the point that i quit because there is no sufficient information provided by you. Please withstand the reflex of answering with "use google" or "THERE IS A DESCIPTION IN THREAD XYX, JUST USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION, NOOB!!!11!11!!111!!!!", but understand the total lack of information as a barrier for interested users. Just because of this you did just loose one.

Thank you and goodbye,
Gekko
m3rc1l3ss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

On my Rift CV1, I am running into an issue of all head movement is being inverted. Is there some way I can fix this?
(Rift with an AMD 390)
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

@Gekko :
1) Vireio v4 is in ALPHA stage, that means "EARLY ACCESS". If you're not happy with this just don't use it.
2) Vireio Perception is hard work done from volunteers, if you are not willing to incorporate you are wrong to use this driver.
3) We actually did an instruction video, if you didn't search here in the forums for the link or directly on YouTube then this is actually your own problem.
4) The Fallout 4 profile works on both my PCs and on most other PCs eventually, as users report. You cannot bother me as the developer of Vireio v4 for what happens on your PC. I cannot know, especially if you don't accept any help.

We will have COMPREHENSIVE DOCUMENTATION, but this will be AFTER Alpha stage.
m3rc1l3ss wrote:On my Rift CV1, I am running into an issue of all head movement is being inverted. Is there some way I can fix this?
(Rift with an AMD 390)
Hi m3rc1l3ss !

We currently work on core issues and hope to soon release an updated Alpha version of Vireio v4. Tracking (both head and positional) is currently broken for FO4 due to the latest update from Bethesda. Thx for your patience !

Regards, Denis
m3rc1l3ss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Thanks, wasn't sure if I was just missing a setting or something since it worked perfectly fine otherwise.
FireFoxG
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by FireFoxG »

I got it rendering 3d in the headset, but it's not stereo on the main monitor, there is no tracking in the headset, and only roll on the 2d monitor.

The sight reticle and chaperon system(when visible) are the only things that track to any movement of my head from within the vive.

It seems to run without any stuttering in downtown concord.

rx480 + intel 990x with vive.

PS, as others have said, you devs putting in 10 min on a write up will save literally weeks of time across all the users who are trying to do this. I alone spent at least 4 hours on it.

PSS, for those with the "impressionist' look in the left eye, a full computer restart fixed this for me. i didn't mess with any bilago settings after the restart, ran perception -> fo4 launcher - > load game setting file -> launch fallout from launcher. good luck
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi FireFoxG !

Sorry, we know that all tracking is currently broken since the latest Bethesda update. We currently work on core issues for a new alpha 3 release, then we have an updated Fallout4 profile and more new game profiles.

There may also be performance issues in alpha 2 when tracking is broken.

And of course we will do a better documentation now for the next alpha release and a comprehensive documentation for eventual release of v4.

Regards, Denis
uKER
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by uKER »

I'm trying to run Dear Esther on the CV1 (it worked fine with Perception a year ago when I had the DK2) and it's crashing at startup with a 0xc0000005 (access violation) error.
The game runs fine if I don't have Perception running.
I'm running Perception x86 as an administrator and needless to say I've copied the DLLs using the installer.
Any ideas?
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi uKER !

Sorry, Dear Esther is a DX9 game that was supported by Vireio v3. And Vireio v3 does not support newer Oculus runtimes. We currently work on DX9 support for the new architecture (v4) of Vireio and then will support all games again v3 already supported.

Regards, Denis
uKER
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by uKER »

Thanks for the clarification.
Shouldn't the documentation then be updated to remove that game (and possibly others) from the list of supported games then?
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Yes, documentation will get an overhaul with the next release.
SouthernCross
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SouthernCross »

Having some major issues. One eye is displaying fine, the other is displaying like the screenshot I've included. No head tracking either.
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi SouthernCross !

Please take a look at my answer to chiisama in this thread : turn off "depth of field" in the Fallout4 launcher.

Vireio v4 Alpha 3 will come soon with a detailed manual !

Regards, Denis
ElCodeMonkey
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Hey everyone. I'm excited to get Fallout 4 working with the Vive and I've had very minimal success thus far. I've at least learned how to get it started finally :-). Any help on the below would be greatly appreciated!

Issues:
1. Tracking works for tilting head but not turning head. Must use mouse. (tried Fallout4_OpenVR_x64_experimental_Y_tracking.aqup as well)
2. Very, very, very little depth.
3. Can't see full screen to select options at startup or during load. Face plasters right in the center with no tracking to see the rest.
4. Lots of blinking (followed all steps with Bilago's Tweaker)

Do I need to update the VireioPerception_OpenVR.ini file to fix this stuff? Anyone got a good ini to start from?

Thanks a ton!
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

Vireio v4 Alpha 3 is out. The download link is on the MTBS3D front page.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Yep, we finally could release the last Alpha version. We continue here in the "Alpha 3 Support Thread".

Return to “Vireio Perception 4.X”