Minecrift Discussion Thread

kingzope
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Minecrift Discussion Thread

Post by kingzope »

StellaArtois wrote:Thanks for looking!

Escape to menu doesn't work? Ok, another thing to fix...
It's only sometimes. i just had it working for the past 10 or so sessions. I think so far it hasn't worked 15% of the time. I don't know how to recreate the issue though.

Also changing anistrophic filtering on the fly is a no no lol. That definitely gives a crash however It's worth saying that none or 16 did hardly anything to my frames so I would recommend leaving at default for others.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Oh right, so intermittently it doesn't work? Erk.
foley2k2
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by foley2k2 »

The preview 3 leak is the first version that worked on my DK2.
Head tracking is working.

As expected, it's not stable, but it only crashes when you change certain graphics settings.

The only caveat with gameplay is that it's _really_ hard to dig straight down.
I found the angle adjustment.
I have another idea to work around that.
Can straight ahead be configured as wherever you're looking at the time of calibration?

The other thing I saw was a slightly small UI.
It should be 1.2 to 1.5 times larger for readability.

Other than that, great job.
pelrun
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pelrun »

I seem to be 2 feet tall? Everything seems to be only about half the scale that it should be.

Also having the issue where geometry moves about a little bit with my head movement, like the head positioning is slightly mis-scaled compared to the position tracking.
Thomixioso
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Thomixioso »

3d Depth is somehow not so strong as I was hoping. Maybe its PDI I should change, but I guess this option is not included. Head tracking is OK, position tracking could be more pronounced/multiplied.

When do you plan next version? Thank you for your hard work.

Tomas.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

I hear you guys, on it.

Next version will concentrate on trying to sort out the scale issues. Seems to be a FOV plus eye relief issue with the Pre3 build.
TheZippyMan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheZippyMan »

Hello,

I wanted to try out this awesome mod, but there is an issue... When i run the installer it takes very much time and then it says that it couldn't download Optifine...
Can you pls help me?

Greetings :woot
Deop
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Deop »

Hi guys,

the pre3 version is working pretty well for me. The only issues I have now are the scale thing (already acknowledged) and the brightness:

Everything is very bright, even areas that should be dark. Is anyone else getting this?

PS It'd be great if I didn't have to make the Rift the main monitor 8-)
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Deop wrote:Hi guys,

the pre3 version is working pretty well for me. The only issues I have now are the scale thing (already acknowledged) and the brightness:

Everything is very bright, even areas that should be dark. Is anyone else getting this?

PS It'd be great if I didn't have to make the Rift the main monitor 8-)
Regarding the brightness, a few people have seen this. However I can't seem to reproduce it on my test box. Do you have an ATI graphics card?

With the main monitor, I'm waiting for Oculus to fix direct mode then that problem will be solved for free! (I hope).
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

TheZippyMan wrote:Hello,

I wanted to try out this awesome mod, but there is an issue... When i run the installer it takes very much time and then it says that it couldn't download Optifine...
Can you pls help me?

Greetings :woot
You should be able to install it manually. Just download the 1.7.10_HD_U_A4 version from Optifine.net.
cegli
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cegli »

I have an AMD HD7970 and am using Windows 7 x64. I also found that everything was lit, even dark mines, until I cycled through all the shaders (was testing FXAA). After I got back to "None" it was fixed.
Axulus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Axulus »

Minecrift seems to be broken on my system

Windows 8.1
780Ti
i5 4690
Extended desktop mode
Make Rift primary monitor

Even if I turn down the graphics settings, it seems like I get 1fps when actually playing the game, with no head tracking.

Head tracking works fine in the menu screen, and it works fine if, once I am in the game, if I bring up the menu screen. I can look around the world and everything. It only breaks when I actually try to play.
BrandonW6
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BrandonW6 »

I just finally had a chance to play minecrift on my DK2 and wow! :woot This was one of the most anticipated things I wanted to try in the rift. It looks fantastic, jumping off a mountain was the first thing I did.

However I'm looking for advise if there are any settings I need to tweak, as I find the scale of the world to be too small feeling. When I look down at the ground, it feels approximately chest height. I tried tweaking various settings, but none seemed to really dial it in for me, or I perhaps don't understand what the settings are really doing. Many other demos I have tried give me a good sense of scale, so I think I have my rift setup correctly (IPD). But in minecrift, after about 30 minutes, I could really feel my eyes straining.

Has anyone else experienced this or found a way to tweak it for a more comfortable experience?

Other than that, it is amazing. Fantastic work StellaArtois
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

Everything looks gorgeous fantastic stupendous! I actually got a tear inside my Rift watching the sunset! Notch needs to get off his butt and beg you guys to join Mojang. Only way I could get it working is to set rift as primary monitor and then squint into it really hard to find the launch button, so curse the SDK issues. I'm not feeling the scale / brightness issues folks have been reporting though, seems totally fine to me. There are a few stutters here and there, but largely I'm getting full FPS with View distance set to far +20. Are the blobby shadows something you threw in or is that a 1.7 thing? They look amazing too btw. I'll quit raving now :oops: Thanks everybody for all your hard work :woot
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

BrandonW6 wrote:I just finally had a chance to play minecrift on my DK2 and wow! :woot This was one of the most anticipated things I wanted to try in the rift. It looks fantastic, jumping off a mountain was the first thing I did.

However I'm looking for advise if there are any settings I need to tweak, as I find the scale of the world to be too small feeling. When I look down at the ground, it feels approximately chest height. I tried tweaking various settings, but none seemed to really dial it in for me, or I perhaps don't understand what the settings are really doing. Many other demos I have tried give me a good sense of scale, so I think I have my rift setup correctly (IPD). But in minecrift, after about 30 minutes, I could really feel my eyes straining.

Has anyone else experienced this or found a way to tweak it for a more comfortable experience?

Glad it's generally working for you! :D

Regarding the eye strain, where do you have your eye relief set to (all the way out? All in? Midway somewhere?)
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

rowanunderwood wrote:Everything looks gorgeous fantastic stupendous! I actually got a tear inside my Rift watching the sunset! Notch needs to get off his butt and beg you guys to join Mojang. Only way I could get it working is to set rift as primary monitor and then squint into it really hard to find the launch button, so curse the SDK issues. I'm not feeling the scale / brightness issues folks have been reporting though, seems totally fine to me. There are a few stutters here and there, but largely I'm getting full FPS with View distance set to far +20. Are the blobby shadows something you threw in or is that a 1.7 thing? They look amazing too btw. I'll quit raving now :oops: Thanks everybody for all your hard work :woot
Nice one! [The blobby shadows are sadly not my doing] 8-)
BrandonW6
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BrandonW6 »

StellaArtois wrote:
BrandonW6 wrote:I just finally had a chance to play minecrift on my DK2 and wow! :woot This was one of the most anticipated things I wanted to try in the rift. It looks fantastic, jumping off a mountain was the first thing I did.

Regarding the eye strain, where do you have your eye relief set to (all the way out? All in? Midway somewhere?)
I generally leave it about midway. What do you suggest? Closer or further?
Does one of the in game settings for scale actually effect the "perceived" scale? I could tell that certain settings diverge or converge your eyes more or less.

But the world feels very tiny and compressed, blocks look maybe 1 foot large. It seems that not everyone has this issue.
Im running a GTX760 on an i7, locked into 75 fps, everything looks and tracks fantastically. But after about 30 minutes, I couldnt take the cross-eyed feeling.
But on some other games, I have gone way past any simulator sickness and can spend hours in the rift.

Thanks for replying so quickly btw.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

BrandonW6 wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:

Does one of the in game settings for scale actually effect the "perceived" scale? I could tell that certain settings diverge or converge your eyes more or less.

But the world feels very tiny and compressed, blocks look maybe 1 foot large. It seems that not everyone has this issue.
Im running a GTX760 on an i7, locked into 75 fps, everything looks and tracks fantastically. But after about 30 minutes, I couldnt take the cross-eyed feeling.
But on some other games, I have gone way past any simulator sickness and can spend hours in the rift.

No problem. Could you try it with eye relief all the way out, and see if that makes a difference to perceived eye strain? I don't think it will make any difference to scale.
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

BrandonW6 wrote:

I find that the closer I can get to all in, the better for picture quality, but eye relief doesn't seem to effect scale for me (although I can start to see the edges of the Rift's screen as my eyes get closer to the lenses.) I wonder if your scale issue isn't due to an IPD thing? I have an IPD of 62.9 that I got from the Rifts configuration utility, is yours much different from that? Perhaps Minecraft is stuck at default IPD rather than reading from the profile?
Tiedye
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tiedye »

Hi, fantastic work on getting it up to the new sdk. It works great. However I was wondering if there was any way to possible change the control scheme, perhaps to a scheme where the cursor is locking in a keyhole or something so you can look around when preforming tasks. I know it's a really low priority but just wondering if that's on the menu for the future.
Axulus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Axulus »

This may somehow be the source of the issue I'm having, or somehow be related to it. Just wanted to add it for feedback purposes in case it helps with development.
Axulus wrote:
ratzes wrote:Issues:

Originally had a 4k monitor that doesn't support 1080p, tried running minecrift in windowed mode is super laggy, when I switch to fullscreen on oculus, minecrift seemed to take on a percentage of the oculus screen proportional to the 4k to 1080p difference, the rest of the screen was my desktop background, also still super laggy.

Minecrift fullscreened on my 4k display with oculus head tracking ran perfect.

I plugged in a primary monitor that was 1080p native and minecrift fullscreened perfectly on oculus and had absolutely no lag.

Just fyi for developers, not sure whether this is on minecrift's side or minecraft's

Also, does anyone else have issues where you can't sprint? I tried remapping keys and I can still only walk. Somebody might have raised this issue, but searching for "minecrift running" obviously returns problems getting the game going.

Once I got the 1080p issue resolved, it was amazing, fantastic work!
Very interesting, I seem to be having a related issue. I am using my 1080p television as my monitor, and when I try to full screen on the Rift (F11), it only fills about 33-50%% of the screen. The only way to get it to fill the entire screen is to hit the Windows Key and Up. However, I get the horrible super lag you experienced in Windowed mode. I also tried switching to an old 1080p standard computer monitor and still had the same issue.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 98#p154298
BrandonW6
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BrandonW6 »

rowanunderwood wrote:
BrandonW6 wrote:

I find that the closer I can get to all in, the better for picture quality, but eye relief doesn't seem to effect scale for me (although I can start to see the edges of the Rift's screen as my eyes get closer to the lenses.) I wonder if your scale issue isn't due to an IPD thing? I have an IPD of 62.9 that I got from the Rifts configuration utility, is yours much different from that? Perhaps Minecraft is stuck at default IPD rather than reading from the profile?
I tried eye relief all the way out, and also all the way in. I do not really notice a difference. I normally leave it about halfway so it isnt touching right against my face. It definitely did nothing for scale. I was concerned that I had messed with too many settings, I did a fresh install of minecraft and minecrift. And I just sorta tried to "deal with it" but I was only able to go for about 30-40 minutes before I had to stop.

My IPD is set to 63 (which was confirmed with a pair of callipers and a mirror). When in game it appears to be a locked setting, pulled from oculus settings. so I am unable to adjust it in game. Is there a way to force it to not use the oculus profile?

Also, not sure if its related, but I did notice that I dont really have true positional tracking. Rotational tracking is working, but I am unable to lean forward and look over an edge. My head position remains fixed on top of the model. Not sure if its supposed to be fully tracked or not.

Please let me know if there is any other suggestions you have that I could tweak, primarily for the scale issue. If I could get everything to feel about double the size, this would be perfect. I cant shake the feeling that I'm a tiny dwarf or toddler size when in minecrift.

I have a friend with a totally different gaming pc setup and a dk2. I'm going to get him to install it so I can see if the scale looks any different for him.
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

Tiedye wrote:Hi, fantastic work on getting it up to the new sdk. It works great. However I was wondering if there was any way to possible change the control scheme, perhaps to a scheme where the cursor is locking in a keyhole or something so you can look around when preforming tasks. I know it's a really low priority but just wondering if that's on the menu for the future.
Keyhole functionality is present but turned off by default for some reason, if you go into vr options and look under mouse controls, you can setup a Keyhole with a range of 90 l/r and a much larger up/down (a must for reaching that last block of a tree trunk).
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

BrandonW6 wrote: Also, not sure if its related, but I did notice that I dont really have true positional tracking. Rotational tracking is working, but I am unable to lean forward and look over an edge. My head position remains fixed on top of the model. Not sure if its supposed to be fully tracked or not.
Yea, I noticed the Positional tracking seemed a little weird also. I was able to stretch up a bit to see out of my front door windows, but when I leaned forward, something felt off. I'm very sensitive to VR sickness, so I didn't explore that issue any further. :oops:
BrandonW6
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BrandonW6 »

BrandonW6 wrote: I have a friend with a totally different gaming pc setup and a dk2. I'm going to get him to install it so I can see if the scale looks any different for him.
Update:
My Card is Nvidia, my friend has a higher end ATI Card. Both of us run i7's

I had him install it, the scale was the same as it is on mine. He tried it first and didn't think there was anything weird about it. Until I pointed out that the ground appears about chest height. Then he agreed that he felt that was correct. Large vistas that should look hundreds of feet away appear much closer.

Interestingly, he DID have full positional tracking. It started to act weird close up to the camera, but at 4-5 feet away his positional tracking worked just as expected.

Anyways, just leaving this here for discussion. Even with the scale issue this is still bloody fantastic, I'll just pretend to be a dwarf, and patiently wait hoping it will be adjustable somehow in a future update.

Thanks Again for this awesome mod!
Drewbdoo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Drewbdoo »

Hey guys - I'm not sure if this is a common issue or not but I had this game working flawlessly and something got boinked badly.

What's happening is that when I launch it, my ipd is badly off (though sometimes it isn't) but I'm also getting no headtracking at all. And then, when I exit out of minecraft, the oculus config tool says there's no rift connected. The rift display mode can switch it back to direct mode, but it still won't recognize it unless I a) reboot the machine or b) unplug the hdmi, plug it my other hdmi monitor and then plug the rift back in....

I've no idea where to even start looking for the problem. Thanks!

Edit: Ok, not sure what I did to screw it up still, but reinstalling the Oculus runtime did the trick. I appears as something happened to the rift driver. I was messing around with some custom resolution software at the time, so I totally blame that. Back up and crafting!
Divrann
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Divrann »

Finally got it working for FTB 1.6.4 after cranking up the memory, but I still have head tracking issues. (DK2)

No matter how I move, the screen is just a static image in front. I've Paused OVRServer_x64.exe through the config.
I also cannot get calibration for it to work, when I press the button for it, nothing happens.

I understand the part about having a dual image for minecraft, dragging it to the oculus and making it fullscreen, that part is easy.. but I don't understand how minecraft 'knows' to enable head tracking. It just seems like that part of it isn't starting. I have this exact same problem in Elite Dangerous as well, if that helps, but everything else such as demos work fine.

Edit: Noticing when I go to head tracking settings and press, Mode:Oculus I get this error in console
[STDERR] Error! Couldn't load Oculus: Last initialisation attempt failed

Also, The little blue light for the motion tracker is not on, leading me to believe it's not kicking in.. It does turn on when I run the OculusConfigUtil, so it is set up correctly.

Does anyone know if the versions are 'upwards' compatible with the newest SDK? Maybe that's my issue. The setup instructions for the 1.6.4 version say to use 0.2.5c, and only talk about the DK1.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Divrann wrote:Does anyone know if the versions are 'upwards' compatible with the newest SDK? Maybe that's my issue. The setup instructions for the 1.6.4 version say to use 0.2.5c, and only talk about the DK1.
No, they are not. They're built on the 0.2 SDK. Only the 1.6.4 preview and 1.7.10 previews use 0.3 and 0.4, respectively, so only they support the DK2.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Progress update. I'm pretty sure I've managed to fix the scale issue. It's looking a *lot* better for me now. It's back to the scale it was with the DK1 on Minecrift 1.6.4 thankfully.

I now need to clean up the code somewhat and remove all my debug code I've accumulated over the last couple of weeks looking into this. That said, I hope to get a new release out at the end of the week.
davidmi58
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidmi58 »

StellaArtois wrote:Progress update. I'm pretty sure I've managed to fix the scale issue. It's looking a *lot* better for me now. It's back to the scale it was with the DK1 on Minecrift 1.6.4 thankfully.

I now need to clean up the code somewhat and remove all my debug code I've accumulated over the last couple of weeks looking into this. That said, I hope to get a new release out at the end of the week.
That's great news! I will be looking forward to it. Please, keep it coming!
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

StellaArtois wrote:Progress update. I'm pretty sure I've managed to fix the scale issue. It's looking a *lot* better for me now. It's back to the scale it was with the DK1 on Minecrift 1.6.4 thankfully.

Thanks! I plan on doing an endurance test video soon for DK2 motion sickness using Minecrift.
Tbone
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tbone »

So...the week is over... :D
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Tbone wrote:So...the week is over... :D
Not quite - Pre4
BrandonW6
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BrandonW6 »

Scale looks much better on PRE4 version.
Thank you!
Tbone
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tbone »

StellaArtois wrote:
Tbone wrote:So...the week is over... :D
Not quite - Pre4
Yay!
Tbone
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tbone »

I'm getting a bug today that I was not getting last night. When I load up Minecrift (with Rift as primary), it loads up to the menu smoothly with low persistence. The view then hangs quickly for two or three times and then, as the music begins to play, I get blurriness/judder when I move my head, as if low persistence is no longer working. I didn't have this problem last night, and I'm not doing anything differently. I restarted, turned the headset on and off, reset the service. Other demos are still working fine. I'm not sure where the issue is...

Edit: Nevermind, I fixed it. It doesn't seem to like AMD's GVR feature...
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

I just got a replacement DK2 (my first one bricked from the 2.12 firmware update lol) And I'm not sure if the DK2's screen is bad or if this is a bug with Minecrift.. But I'm noticing that when I go into dark caves, that the screen is very noticeably darker in my right eye.. :(

It's only a problem in dark caves, I don't notice any brightness issues anywhere else.. Like the darkness is just heavier in the right eye. And I don't really notice it in other games, at least no where near as badly if it is there.
cegli
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cegli »

Try cycling through all of the shaders once. That fixes a lighting bug for me. All the shaders only show up in your right eye, so close one eye while doing it or your brain will hurt!
Axulus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Axulus »

I just tried the pre-release 4 - the freezing problem is fixed on my system, but now I'm getting a weird graphics effect - I see red and blue everywhere. It sort of looks like chromatic aberration but it's not. The best way to describe it is that it is like looking at something meant for those old style red and blue 3-D glasses :anaglyph - Any way to fix this?
twmclark
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by twmclark »

Works great but i cant seem to get and kind of head tracking to work. Any ideas?

Return to “Minecrift”