Disappointed with consumer version

cadcoke5
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Disappointed with consumer version

Post by cadcoke5 »

When I purchased a Note 4 phone nearly a year ago, one of my motivations was that I had hoped to use it for VR. And when the consumer version of the Gear VR was announced at $99, I immediately looked to see when I could purchase it. But, I soon realized that my enthusiasm was misplaced.

1st, the Gear VR will NOT work with the Note 4. To me the Note 5 has some limitations that make it not viable to me, even if I could afford the upgrade.

2nd, the Gear VR does not include any sort of head tracking.

And while the Gear VR experience is a little superior to a Google Cardboard, or even an upgraded plastic device holder, it is not anywhere near $99 better.

I do understand that there are technical limitations to implementing inside-out type of head tracking on a mobile device that is already being taxed to its limits. But, that should not have limited the Gear VR folks from implementing an outside-in approach like the Oculus. The PC could simply have been a controller, that monitored a web cam and then informed the Gear VR where the user's head was located via. Bluetooth.

Another solution for the Gear VR would have been to make an optional accessory camera that mounts on the Gear VR to provide inside-out tracking. But, if they don't have the hardware interface or other paths necessary to add this sort of feature, then it would not be viable.

Given the lack of significant discussion on this forum, and the nearly dead sub-forum, I suppose others are just as unenthusiastic as I am.

-Joe
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Disappointed with consumer version

Post by brantlew »

Given that the GVR1 and Consumer GVR are functionally equivalent means that you should be able to pick up a GVR1 for use with your Note4. Currently I am seeing that Best Buy has that device on sale for $100. So that's basically the same deal.

As far as positional tracking goes - you can find a good deal of discussion about that which boils down to inside-out still being impractical. Outside-in - well that makes it a different product altogether for a very different market. No longer a mobile product but simply an untethered one.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

cadcoke5 wrote: 2nd, the Gear VR does not include any sort of head tracking.

And while the Gear VR experience is a little superior to a Google Cardboard, or even an upgraded plastic device holder, it is not anywhere near $99 better.

Given the lack of significant discussion on this forum, and the nearly dead sub-forum, I suppose others are just as unenthusiastic as I am.

-Joe
Gear VR consumer version to my best understanding still has external tracker (I do not mean Positional Tracking but you said it has no any sort of head tracking which is untrue) thus its gyro responses are leap ahead of inbuilt ones offered over cardboard.

Moreover it has touch pad on right side for interaction with return key and embossed capacitive track pad its real interface some thing totally absent on cardboard. now compare Gear VR apps from what are offered over Google App Store.

You will eventually realize Google PlayStore has simply too less apps worth consideration, Most are experiences which are generically not game. Gear VR consumer version will sport Best Optics Mobile based hmd can offer with curated OC Store and true vr games like Esper,Herobound,Ikarus not to forget games like GUNJACK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF2aruO5jAY i don't think there is any thing comparable with google cardboard even remotely.

I Don't say upgrade to S6 or Note5 but some day you indeed have to due to by the time pass apps support will start to become obsolete force you to move next device other than what i noticed that lollipop indeed not work as best on Note4 as its on GalaxyS6. Not even talk about Marshmallow.

Gear VR is sure buy the day Galaxy S6 become $350/400 off contract, Which is really not that far as current lowest is around 529 USD.
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/63440 ... or-529.htm

GVR Consumer bound to be best ergonomics light weight device OcuSung can offer, Best Optics till the date of release, Best finger tip friendly engraved track-pad to be helpful while you are immersed, Best Pricing is Icing on Cake....
I will say OcuSung just trim GS6 to 400 USD and battle is won before start. (Offer UnTethered VR Combo at $500 at launch and Disrupt the market)
Its not impossible just see specs of MOTO X PURE.. Not much differ to S6
http://www.amazon.com/Edition-Unlocked- ... R160%2C200_

If you are firm on sticking with Note4 just follow Brantlew.
Ps. I don't found SamCulus much striking or catchy so yeah its OcuSung henceforth... ;)
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

For your Near Dead Sub Forum Complain ..Just dive here...

https://forums.oculus.com/viewforum.php?f=62

Flooding with enthusiasts.. last post just 16 minutes old as of now...
Last edited by Dilip on Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Dilip wrote:May be 'others' are shifting from MTBS at FTL Speed..... For your Near Dead Sub Forum Complain ..Just dive here...

I run this place for free, the banner ads are purposely not filled with pay-per-click ad crap, and MTBS exists for multiple solutions instead of just one; we work to be here for everyone. The only thing MTBS has ever asked of anyone in these forums is to be respectful. If the biggest contribution any community member could think of is to spit on us, then they are encouraged to do the honorable thing and leave (and just leave). Thank you for your understanding and good luck to you.

Regards,
Neil
cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

I was going to let Dilp's comment slide, rather than draw attention to it. But, since Neil has chimed in, I though I should write to back him up.

Dilip, I can understand how a vendors own forum can become a focus for the user community of that particular product, and may be a lot more active for many reasons. They may benefit from support from the vendor is one potential benefit.

But, MTBS has an important difference. They are independent. That is a critical difference.

Referring me to a different, more active, forum is certainly appropriate. But, I don't see any reason for you to attack MTBS in the process.

-Joe
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Neil wrote:
Dilip wrote:May be 'others' are shifting from MTBS at FTL Speed..... For your Near Dead Sub Forum Complain ..Just dive here...

I run this place for free, the banner ads are purposely not filled with pay-per-click ad crap, and MTBS exists for multiple solutions instead of just one; we work to be here for everyone. The only thing MTBS has ever asked of anyone in these forums is to be respectful. If the biggest contribution any community member could think of is to spit on us, then they are encouraged to do the honorable thing and leave (and just leave). Thank you for your understanding and good luck to you.

Regards,
Neil
Its been long since i read any comment on my post from you, i am sorry to find its response of hurt which i never meant. Words are like shot arrows, you cant take them back .. trying to wipe the traces and expect things to get calm though.. :(

For others i was referring only those people who may be more interested in gear vr in particular. certainly wasn't attacking MTBS as there never was any reason as such.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

cadcoke5 wrote:But, MTBS has an important difference. They are independent. That is a critical difference.

Referring me to a different, more active, forum is certainly appropriate. But, I don't see any reason for you to attack MTBS in the process.

-Joe
Can't agree more, will ensure to be careful henceforth.
Neil

Post by Neil »

It's ok; don't worry about it.

Regards,
Neil
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I still come here, simply because its the only place where virtually everyone who posts has useful input. The other forums like oculus and reddit ARE much more active these days, but the signal to noise ratio is massive.

Besides, I still have great respect for the community here, and thats why I post here when I have serious questions.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Thanks for the kind words. I think some of these communities have just become crazy. Crazy enough to make me sound crazy; Martin Landau crazy if you can appreciate the good natured humor in what I'm saying (not bashing you Martin).

I'm seriously wondering if Reddit is even real. Unless a post is about Vireio Perception, MTBS content is either immediately down-voted, or if it's too good that it would embarrass someone to bury it, it's ignored so it just falls off the wayside. If a community is really that big, it would be impossible to have social organization like that; it's just impossible. I wouldn't be surprised if the Reddit Oculus community is no bigger than MTBS ever was, and it's just a bunch of account multiples running simultaneously. It's just too organized and deliberate. I try not to think about it too much.

Regards,
Neil
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Just today i got lucky enough to try GEAR VR Consumer Version with Galaxy S7, Head set is relatively small in size compared to previous two iterations,
Over all device is light weight and touch pad is very very responsive.

Games i tried was Temple Run VR, Titans of Space & Gunjack VR

Totally blowout with level of immersion, i must say its something beyond cardboard, i own and have tried
many versions of cardboard, no one is near by level of realism offered by Gear VR specially with smooth game-play
of S7 which was Exynos.

See an interesting video of why one should go exynos version.
https://youtu.be/233f0ewFWGk

Gear VR is amazing display fidelity is much more than DK2 i tried, screen door is really minimal.

Over all Must Buy if you already own or planning for Galaxy S6/ S7.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Neil wrote:Thanks for the kind words. I think some of these communities have just become crazy. Crazy enough to make me sound crazy; Martin Landau crazy if you can appreciate the good natured humor in what I'm saying (not bashing you Martin).
I just now read this. FYI, in various forums Martin goes by many usernames including "cleverusername" and multiple varations of "geekmaster" (usually claiming to be me). He also misquotes me in many posts. Some folks just inhabit different realities. Crazy is as crazy does. Hopefully the damage in this reality will be limited for all involved. I have seen both sides, all the while experiencing wild ups and downs, and I am still alive to talk about it. Some people like rollercoasters, though they can be scary at times (especially roller coasters of the mind). In general, I think he means well, and some of his multiple points of view are quite sane. He seems driven to shatter reality distortion fields (i.e. clever marketing and historical rewrites that benefit celebrities in this community) as he sees them, in a blunt-force trauma sort of way. Complexity unbounded, with unwanted side-effects. Sadly, he seems to have somewhat pickled my personal friendship with Palmer, and though I got DK1 #127 from the first batch of 300 shipped before GDC 2013 (making me wonder how many of those 300 folks were at that GDC while their Rifts sat back home on their doorstep), I still do not have my CV1 (nor even a shipping notice). Side effect of associating with "Martin"?

EDIT: I just received a PM that shows I did not make myself clear. For clarification, I only use geekmaster. Martinlandau (a completely different individual) admits to using at least 32 usernames (including cleverusername, G33KMAST3R, and others) especially on reddit. His posts masquerading as me sometimes betray his intentions when he refers to "geekmaster" (me) as a third party (e.g. when he says "geekmaster said", etc.).
Last edited by geekmaster on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

I have a Note 4. Part of my modivation to purchase it, was the upcoming Gear VR headset. But, when the consumer version finally came out, it will not work on the Note 4. So, I figured I might buy a used Gear VR, innovator edition. I just checked E-bay, and see that the Innovator editions start at $200, with the consumer version start at around $80.

Perhaps, there are a lot of Note 4 owners that want to get in on the action, without buying a new phone.

For myself, I think I will wait until I can get a headset with head tracking, at a low price. It may take a year or two, but for a new technology like this, even waiting a short time can cause prices to drop, while performance goes up.

-Joe
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Why not sell Note 4 if you really want to get in Gear VR as there is very thin app support and it will soon vanish.
You could have purchased Note 4 supporting new Gear VR Innovator Edition from best buy at $100 when it was pointed out by Brantlew.. that time long gone...

There is huge GPU performance gap between SD820(S7 US) and 805 (Note4 US). Games targeted to 820 will be heavy for 805, some might not work at all.
Not to mention there must be further difference in apps tweaked deeply as per inner workings of SoC to Crunch performance out of them (*Optimized)

Most killer apps are still in developer pipeline, hard to expect them to be low spec supporting as they are targeting consumer device.

There is comparison of SD820(S7 US) with SD 810 not even 805 *Note4* so expect that to be even lower.
[Exynos SoC is even more powerful,See the video from my earlier post.]

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/ ... p-matters/

Not intend to punk but if you are serious about Gear VR fun you should bid farewell to your beloved Note 4

Please try Gear VR+ Galaxy S7 at nearest Samsung outlet and decide your self
its HUGE difference to any cardboard.
cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

What I am REALLY hoping for, is for there to be a killer app that my EMPLOYER will want to have the company obtain for a Gear VR. Then, the problem is solved for me! But, that is certainly doubtful.

I lost the desire to play video games a very long time ago. I do like some of the VR apps, that let me visit a historical sight. But, those are still few and far between. I also suspect that head tracking is such an important benefit, I would not want to invest much now, and kick myself when it gets more affordable to buy a headset with that feature in another year.

-Joe
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

cadcoke5 wrote: I would not want to invest much now, and kick myself when it gets more affordable to buy a headset with that feature in another year.
in that case enjoy "siting on the fence" ;)
cadcoke5 wrote: I also suspect that head tracking is such an important benefit
IMO Head tracking is all about VR, without tracking its just STEREO 3D not VR.
cadcoke5 wrote:What I am REALLY hoping for, is for there to be a killer app that my EMPLOYER will want to have the company obtain for a Gear VR. Then, the problem is solved for me!
Do you work for Mobile Software Developer who develop something for Android? If so is case they really need demo of GEAR VR as soon as you can get them to.

There is one more critical thing that when new version of phone coming out it changes lot of parameters thus ALL EXISTING VR APPs need to be re-tailored
and code optimized before they perform in such way that can take advantage of new chip (SoC)

Soon as developer do that ... in a year there is new SoC on door step. SDK need to be very very modular and incremental so that new processor HP can be
utilized to increase fps while maintaining core logic intact. it should take days not months to transit from optimized for SoC A to SoC B then only viable market
for Gear VR will develop.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

cadcoke5 wrote:I have a Note 4. Part of my modivation to purchase it, was the upcoming Gear VR headset. But, when the consumer version finally came out, it will not work on the Note 4. So, I figured I might buy a used Gear VR, innovator edition. I just checked E-bay, and see that the Innovator editions start at $200, with the consumer version start at around $80.

Perhaps, there are a lot of Note 4 owners that want to get in on the action, without buying a new phone.

For myself, I think I will wait until I can get a headset with head tracking, at a low price. It may take a year or two, but for a new technology like this, even waiting a short time can cause prices to drop, while performance goes up.

-Joe
For a much more affordable interim solution to your dilemma, may I suggest checking out AntVR TAW, which is Note 4 compatible, has 100-degree FoV (with large square solid lenses used in their $500+ dev kit), folds so it can fit in a coat pocket, and only costs $25? It has wonderful reviews (and apparently does not require software dewarping). Essential a fancy google cardboard on steroids:
http://www.mellottsvrpage.com/index.php/antvr-thaw/ wrote:ANTVR TAW
For $25 dollars you can get the ANTVR Taw cellphone holder for your Google Cardboard like HMD. The Taw is one of the better ones you can get because you’ll get 100 deg field-of-view (FOV) without the optical distortion. This makes it a lot better to use with Cardboard like apps because many of them don’t implement distortion correction at all, or do it correctly. That means you won’t get that swimming effect that makes you sick if you need optical distortion correction and don’t have it. I bought Taw to experiment with TrinusVR. It’s easy to use with Samsung Note 4 and the open design of Taw makes it easy to plug into cables and also avoid fogging. Taw works with standard side-by-side stereo 3D on your phone and it very easy to adjust. There’s a small mechanical IPD adjustment, strap adjustment, and different positions you can put your phone in. Overall comfort isn’t too bad but it could benefit with an over the head strap. For $25 you can’t do much better. I’ve tried a lot of other Google Cardboard holders and they just don’t look right when the distortion isn’t done correctly. Taw solves that problem. It’s available over at Gearbest.com and will ship directly from China.
I ordered one from the link provided in that review, using a 9-percent discount code, free ship plus $1.99 tracking (a necessity according to some reviews of that vendor), total less than $25: http://www.gearbest.com/virtual-reality/pp_290659.html Looking forward to it to compare its supposedly awesome lenses to my GearVR.

Unfortunately, the "[youtube]" tag is not working for me, and "[youtube-HD]" makes this page far too wide with no text flow, so just click the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0WyOVT5awU
That guy in this video clamps his phone in crooked, and regarding his comment about it being "stunning" if in an enclosed headset, I plan to try wrapping the sides in opaque black material while using it (and this material could also protect the lenses when carried in a pocket).

Also, regarding your claims of no head tracking in the GearVR, as I recall, it contains the same motion tracker as the DK1 (even using the same USB VID/PID).
Last edited by geekmaster on Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

I just had a message disappear. But, it will force me to summarize....

I lost the desire for games a long time ago, though the ability to visit historical sites, and other interesting places does interest me. But, my main interest is actually industrial.

I work for a company that makes warehouse-scale refrigeration chambers. A lot is for outside the US. I had hoped that Project Tango would provide a cheap and user-friendly solution that we could just send to the potential customer. He would scan his existing facility and mail the unit back to us. According to one company I spoke with, the Tango unit is not really viable for us to take measurements with enough accuracy, and scanning is trickier than you would hope for a consumer unit.

I suspect the recent advances in HMD's for the consumer will also drive the market for scanners for the consumers to use. So, we may have a solution to that in another year or so.

-Joe

Return to “Oculus VR”