Half-Life 2

Case by case Vireio Perception game support discussion. One thread per game!
konstantin_lozev
Cross Eyed!

Half-Life 2

Post by konstantin_lozev »

I have tried Half-Life 2 with Vireio on my main machine Phenom II X4 945 - 3Ghz, RAM 8 gb, Radeon HD 7850 Win7. It loads up and starts, but the left side of the SBS has multiple missing textures. It does not depend which save game I load. Here is how it looks.
HL2-missing textures.jpg
Portal and Portal 2 work on that machine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DrBeef
Vireio Perception Developer

Re: Half-Life 2

Post by DrBeef »

Half Life 2 as better support through Steam VR, it isn't an officially supported title (there's a link to the supported games document in the Vireio release package).
konstantin_lozev
Cross Eyed!

The problem is for the official VR settings you need a Rift, last time I checked at least, so all other DIY projects are out the window in terms of support...
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Does this crash occur when you use DIY Rift from the drop down in the Perception app? I am sure other people have it working without using a rift specifically. It is possible an issue has been introduced for this particular selection.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Just realised, this thread isn't about the crash, it is about missing shaders. However, HL2 isn't officially supported by Vireio, with or without a rift, so I am not surprised it isn't working.

The only reason it is doing anything is because the executable name for Portal is actually hl2.exe (guess they got lazy and couldn't be bothered to rename it). So I expect the shader rules are all wrong as far as Half life 2 is concerned.
konstantin_lozev
Cross Eyed!

Pity no solution for HL2 without having a Rift. Or is there a workaround? I wanted so much to experiment with it, the third-party VR Mod is also Rift-exclusive, what a pity...
konstantin_lozev
Cross Eyed!

DrBeef wrote:Just realised, this thread isn't about the crash, it is about missing shaders. However, HL2 isn't officially supported by Vireio, with or without a rift, so I am not surprised it isn't working.

The only reason it is doing anything is because the executable name for Portal is actually hl2.exe (guess they got lazy and couldn't be bothered to rename it). So I expect the shader rules are all wrong as far as Half life 2 is concerned.
Well, I'd say if the missing shaders get fixed, it will work as a supported game for me:) I am ready to test if you plan on fixing that.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

You make a good point... there may be non-rift owners out there (and future non-oculus HMDs) that would like to have a piece of the HL2 action.

I'll take a look. One of the problems we are starting to have with increased number of supported games is that some of them have the same executable name!, trying to figure out a good way to solve that issue at the moment. I have an idea.
konstantin_lozev
Cross Eyed!

Thanks for not leaving out non-Rifters :)
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Next release will have HL2 support for non-rift owners.. including a VRBoost profile.

The sky gets pretty funky for some reason, haven't figured that out yet, but otherwise everything looks pretty good and it renders everything in both eyes.
konstantin_lozev
Cross Eyed!

OK, if you need a pre-release test, I can do that. Thanks once more.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

I'll try and send you a download link to test over the weekend.

Return to “Game Support”