Portal 2

Case by case Vireio Perception game support discussion. One thread per game!
budwheizzah
One Eyed Hopeful

Portal 2

Post by budwheizzah »

ISSUE: Portal 2 (VR Boost profile)

:-) Told ya I'd ask hehehe

The support for this game is already largely complete and works great. Just, especially considering you go in & out of walls and keep having to reorient, VR Boost would go a long way into doubling or tripling my play time in this title. It might or might not deal with portal orientation shifts, but just the fact the pitch would mostly remain 1:1 without veering off would help endure the tougher moments the game has to offer.

This is odd playing this I realized I never, ever wondered what it would feel like to go in a wall and come out a ceiling. But now... despite not wondering... now I know what it feels like. LOL

EDITED BY ADMIN: Please limit to just the title of the game in the thread.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Portal 2

Post by Neil »

We use Cheat Engine to lock down the right memory registers. The problem is Portal 2 was causing Cheat Engine to crash before we could get anything substantial. Cheat Engine has since been updated though, so maybe it's worth another try.

If the community can help out with building VR Boost profiles, that would be amazingly helpful. Would you be up to helping us find the registers?

BaggyG knows how to create these profiles pretty well, so maybe he can share some instruction with this to get you started.

Regards,
Neil
budwheizzah
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by budwheizzah »

At the current time I am stretched pretty bloody thin!
This is the kind of thing I'll be glad to help with in winter time (Sept-March)... right now between the work development, personal development and summer time action like rocketry events my head is spinning! LOL

The second I can sit and at least wrap my head around the VRBoost docs and how to get the basics working I definitely will help. Especially because I *want* Portal 2 like that.
*Edit: Was mentioning the experience of VR Boost in other games as comparison saying they feel like first party implements, but I removed the reference and used this general statement instead :-)
WolfMan5750
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WolfMan5750 »

Hi, I have been trying to get Portal 2 to work with Vireio 2.1.0. Everything looks great and mouse emulation works. I'm getting 75 fps, which is nice. However, I can't seem to get the memory scanner to start. Once I'm in game, I press numpad 5 and nothing happens. Is there something else that I need to enable?
DrBeef
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by DrBeef »

Are you actually being asked to START MEMORY SCAN?, or is it simply a blank screen?, there's no chance there is an older copy of Vireio DLLs in the Portal 2 game folder?

Portal 2 should atcually inject without DLL copying, but do please check, it sounds like it might not be working right, you should at least be seeing it attempt to scan. Also, is your a steam copy?
Poolback
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Poolback »

Hey guys,
Thank you for all this work, it's been amazing so far.

I do have some problems regarding Portal 2.

The 3D seems to be working well, but the Scanner doesn't seem to find proper adresses. Perception does tell me he finds many adresses, but none of those adresses seem to work.
I have restarted the game many times, and tried it over and over, but I can't find the proper adresses for head tracking.
Is there something else I should do ?
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Could you capture a short video using fraps or something just so I can see what you are doing for the scan please?, also make sure you have as little loaded into memory as possible, extra programs etc will possibly cause the Portal 2 memory locations to change to something else, which would disrupt the scanner, as it searches a fairly narrow region.

Here's a boring little video of me running the vrboost scan in Portal 2.. probably doesn't tell you a great deal, but proves it works :)

http://youtu.be/HKTTMNv76f4
Poolback
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Poolback »

Here's a little video of what I am doing : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZNo4bBrfzI

Sorry about the mic, forgot it was on. Now, I just realized my chrome is open with like 20 tabs, might be why. I'm going to give it another shot.

EDIT : Nope, still the same, except there are 10 potential adresses (none that works).
ghettocat2007
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ghettocat2007 »

Has anyone had the chance to try this with SIXENSE razer hydra functionality? I bet its awesome.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

@Poolback Is it the steam version of Portal 2?, if not there might be some binary difference subverting the scanner

@Ghettocat, I haven't tried it (no hydra), but I would love to!
Poolback
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Poolback »

Sorry for the very late reply, but yeah, Steam version of Portal 2.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Can you replace portal2.xml in vrboost_rules with this one:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxb0u6 ... sp=sharing

and try it again.. this one scans a MUCH bigger region, and if it fines multiple candidates, will ask you to look in certain directions to eliminate invalid ones.

If it works for you (this version still works fine for me) I'll update the one in the repository.

Please let me know how you get on..
-Nio-
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by -Nio- »

Hi all! thanks to exist :)

i've some problem with my portal 2 vr,
I use the sdk 0.8 with vireio perception V 3.0.1

my set up is:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor

I found some trouble when after starting portal 2 and create a new game, my point of you inside oculus is to have a giant screen in front of me, i'm not "in the game" but i'm watching it, like a screen.

I really don't know why it happens, any help?

Thanks all!!!
plinko
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by plinko »

Hello all, this is going to be lengthy but there's some strange things happening to me. I'm actually having the same issue as the guy above me but I'm having some other unique issues as well...

I'm running Oculus SDK 0.8.0.0 with Vireio Perception 3.0.1. My PC specs are the following:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
8.0 GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows 10, 64-bit
Oculus Rift DK1

I followed the directions outlined in the document here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TYp ... muunik2s1d

But I'm still having a few weird issues. First off, in my Rift, it just looks like a black void with a big screen, sort of like SteamVR's theater mode. I do not have SteamVR enabled however, so that is not what is going on. I can move my head around and it works but the screen stays in the same position, again like I'm in a movie theater watching the game. At this point my FPS just drops and drops continuously, but I tried continuing anyways to see what I could do. I do as instructed and press "CTRL + R" to center the view and it works...sort of. It does recenter the big screen in the void, but again the screen just sits still so that's not much help. So here's one of the weirdest issues going on: When I play any map that starts with an elevator, my FPS starts at around 230 and then just drops and drops constantly until it stays around 6-10 fps. However, when I keep walking into the level, once I pass a certain point my fps skyrockets to around 230 again, and it stays there constantly for the remainder of the level, even if I go back to the intro elevator area. I'm not really sure what that's about?

Next, I tried screwing around with the settings to see if I could get it to work. First I have to say there's absolutely no mouse movement whatsoever, but again my head movement tracks in that weird theater room void. I can also use Left, Right, and Scroll wheel on my mouse, I just can't move the player's head. So now I activate VRBoost and it says "STATUS: WAITING USER ACTIVATION".

Now before I even try anything else, on my Rift screen my head movement now moves the screen. Wherever I look, the screen is in the center of my view. There is still no mouse movement however, so the player is constantly looking forward. My mouse also does nothing still, so I can't turn at all. I should note that it works fine in the menu, but yeah I can't move the character's head. On my main monitor there's something interesting going on. When I move the Rift around, the screen moves on the Roll axis. That is the only thing that works though, Pitch and Yaw do absolutely nothing. But again, inside my Rift I can move with Pitch, Yaw, and Roll and the screen will reposition itself wherever I'm looking.

Anyways back to the VRBoost, it says to press NUMPAD5 to start so I do it. It scans and finds 2-3 candidates, sometimes 2, sometimes 3, and it tells me to look straight ahead and press NUMPAD5 again. I do it and it tells me to look up at least 45 degrees. I look up and then the time runs out and it says it failed. I've tried multiple times but it seems like it doesn't pick up the upward movement of my head?

So after all of that, I feel like the game is not detecting my Rift's Pitch and Yaw movements, but somehow it is because in my Rift goggles the screen follows my head movements? I'm not sure! I also want to note that if I alt-tab away from the game and move the Rift around, my mouse moves around the screen. So my rift is somehow being detected while also not working I guess? I have no clue.

I apologize for the extremely long post but I just want to play Portal 2 with the Oculus Rift! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi Plinko !

First of all: We are extremely close to release a complete new architecture, we will release Vireio Perception v.4.0.0 still in April ! This first version will only support DX11, DX9 (like for Portal 2) will be added within the next months.

The current functionality will - of course - still work but for Oculus the latest SDK supported was 0.6.1. This is why maybe the tracking does not work at your place (with SDK 0.8.0.0).

Since we are fully concentrated on the new architecture now we cannot provide full support for the current driver anymore, sorry for that but the new version will be definately great. And i promise here to take care for Portal 2 whenever we add DX9 support again in a new, enhanced way.

Regards, Denis
plinko
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by plinko »

Thanks for the reply! I can't wait until the new version. Glad you guys are working hard at it!

Return to “Game Support”