Announcement: VorpX - Rift 3D Driver

backstaia
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Announcement: VorpX - Rift 3D Driver

Post by backstaia »

This is really cool :woot
I was already wondering in the DIY thread how you got those games running on your rift. So i consider mass effect, witcher and descent already confirmed working. Nice! My body is ready for a retro Descent session. March can´t get here fast enough. Give us ARMA / DayZ suppport and you have a very happy customer. I will throw money at you...
MaterialDefender
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by MaterialDefender »

backstaia wrote:This is really cool :woot
I was already wondering in the DIY thread how you got those games running on your rift. So i consider mass effect, witcher and descent already confirmed working. Nice! My body is ready for a retro Descent session. March can´t get here fast enough. Give us ARMA / DayZ suppport and you have a very happy customer. I will throw money at you...
It's Mass Effect 2 + 3, to be precise. Mass Effect 1 isn't covered for now, but most likely will be. ArmA 2 is supported and thus DayZ, I would guess. Although this is one of the cases, where I only worked with the demo so far, so this isn't 100% confirmed. Something might have changed in later patches that breaks the driver. Unlikely, but not impossible. Many things are very game specific in a driver like this.

Descent is a special case, and a good one! It's open source, a custom build of D2X-XL, has nothing to do with VorpX. It's not quite ready for prime time though, and I don't have much time ATM to work out the last kinks. As things stand, I will send my modifications to the main D2X-XL maintainer, he seems to be interested in Rift support himself. So chances are good, that before long you get Descent with Rift support by just downloading the normal D2X-XL build. Descent is a game that, despite its age, is way beyond cool on a Rift-like device. :)
MaterialDefender

For a beta test starting in February I'd like to assemble a small and trustworthy team of testers, five or six people. This test is not meant as a promotional beta like it's usually done by some game companies, so please only apply if you have time (and are willing) to really contribute. No hard work involved. Basically just playing and writing a few e-mails. If that sounds interesting to you and you meet the following three criteria, please send me a PM, I look forward to hear from you!

1. You must have a working DIY-Rift, ideally with Hillcrest tracker. Please include a short description of your builds specs in your PM, also please include some info about your graphics card.
2. You must have some DirectX games to test the driver with. Please include a list of games in your PM, so I can check whether those are (or seem worth to be) supported.
3. You must be willing to sign a non-disclosure-agreement. Sorry for that, I promise to keep it as simple as reasonable.

Also it would be nice if you have some experience in beta testing. This is not a must though.

Optional criterion: You work at Oculus ;) (and are willing to sign a NDA).
Last edited by MaterialDefender on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

About the tracking: implementation details of all kinds I would generally like to treat as little 'trade secrets'. I hope that is no problem.
No worries, I totally understand. I was only wondering as I'm doing some stuff with hacking it in, but am wondering if this will cause people to be banned if they try to play online with a hack like my one.

Actually, could this be an issue for your driver as well, considering that it must be injecting itself into the rendering path, just like a cheat?
MaterialDefender

VorpX does not inject itself into games directly, nor does it copy or change any DLLs. Direct mem-hacking I would consider too dangerous in this regard. VorpX works similar to Fraps, the Steam overlay, and various other programs: it injects itself into DirectX, nothing fancy.

There still might be a small chance that some anti cheat software will see this as potential cheat at first though, I won't deny that. But one advantage of closed source software is that, even if that should be case, it will be far easier to convince potentially worried gaming companies that it poses no threat. Noone is able to produce potentially malicious custom builds, and there is always someone (me in this case) who can be talked to and held accountable.

If anyone wonders: without exception this is a potential issue with any similar software.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Sweet, I totally agree re the closed source. In the long run I think we can only achieve 100% avoidance of being picked up as a cheat, by having our software white listed by the anticheat people. As you say, this will be much easier when its not open source!

One disadvantage to this pathway, will be that it may slow down new releases, as you will probably have to have a signature generated from your executable by the various companies, and I have zero idea how long they may take to do this. Otherwise, anyone could just modify your code to actually be a cheat...
kalabalik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kalabalik »

This sounds all sweet to have several drivers coming out for the rift!
I for one is a racing simulator junkie; so the obvious question is if you got any racers working?
Like Project CARS, Dirt 3, rFactor, iRacing, Live for Speed or such?

And another game I've been poking cyber about for the Vireio is the amazing Aerofly FS; a flight sim with simple controls, complex wind system and amazing graphics. Would it be possible to perhaps add any (or all :)) of these to the list of supported games? I'd implode of happiness if that was the case...
Durante
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Durante »

Wouldn't Z-buffer based reprojection fail entirely for alpha effects, since they by definition do not write Z?

I like what I'm reading about this project, but I've never been a huge fan of reprojection for stereoscopy. I feel like on PC you can afford to do it right.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Durante wrote:Wouldn't Z-buffer based reprojection fail entirely for alpha effects, since they by definition do not write Z?

I like what I'm reading about this project, but I've never been a huge fan of reprojection for stereoscopy. I feel like on PC you can afford to do it right.
Perhaps... but what if the Rift gets a 120Hz screen like Oculus wants? To take proper advantage of this, the "correct" technique of moving the camera and re-rendering the scene would require you to have the power to push out ~240 FPS. :shock:

There's definitely merit to a very fast approach...
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
MaterialDefender

@kalabalik: There will be some racing games for sure, most likely not every single one from your list for now though. Aerofly FS doesn't seem to be that popular, so it might not make it into the initial release. But I have it on my list now. So maybe it will be supported later, provided it uses DirectX.

@Durante: Handling of alpha effects is game dependent, but mostly done in a way that works fine. most game programmers are smart enough to not write glass panes to the Z-buffer, for example, but the scene behind them. The Z-Buffer wouldn't make much sense for their own post processing either, if they wouldn't account for such things. And out of ~40 games that are supported ATM there was only one so far where some supposedly alpha transparent objects (spider webs and such) weren't covered correctly in the Z-Buffer. And it wasn't a hugely popular one.

Regarding speed please keep one thing in mind: for the Rift you will want to have true 60fps at all times. With a fast reprojection technique you will get that, and still have enough horse power left to use good antialiasing, which is also very important, due to the relatively low display resolution of the devkit.

@TheHolyChicken: Thanks for the support!
Durante
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Durante »

MaterialDefender wrote:most game programmers are smart enough to not write glass panes to the Z-buffer, for example, but the scene behind them.
Absolutely, but that means the glass pane itself won't be correctly displaced, no? Primarily, I wasn't worrying about static geometry but effects implemented using alpha blending, such as smoke and fire. And of course anything where the shading is impacted by the camera position.

I'm not saying it can't be done well, or that it's not a useful method, however all the implementations of Z-buffer based stereo 3D I've seen so far have left a lot to be desired compared to the "real" thing. I also agree that high quality AA is essential, particularly at devkit resolutions. Personally, if it came down to it I'd rather buy a 2nd GPU -- I realize that's not quite a mainstream-ready solution.
MaterialDefender

Absolutely, but that means the glass pane itself won't be correctly displaced
You will usually have a very hard time to notice such things while you are playing (and not searching for image artifacts :) ), after all it's next to transparent.

And the "real thing" isn't often exactly free of minor artifacts either. Non working shadows, misplaced shader effects, crosshairs at wrong depth, etc., to name just a few of the more common issues.

Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages. And personally I wouldn't call one them better than the other. But tastes are different, of course.
Okta

Post by Okta »

I cant remember if it has been asked yet. Will game support be a game by game thing or will there be a generic profile to try for unsupported games and settings to create a profile? Mount and Blade must be made!!

I am pretty excited about this software :D
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Durante
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Durante »

MaterialDefender wrote:And the "real thing" isn't often exactly free of minor artifacts either. Non working shadows, misplaced shader effects, crosshairs at wrong depth, etc., to name just a few of the more common issues.
But those artifacts usually happen when support for stereoscopic rendering is added to the game later on, not when it is built with it in mind (e.g. "3D Vision Ready" games). The damning thing about reprojection, at least to me, is that it has issues even when built right into the game by the developer (e.g. Crysis 2). It's clear there is a quality/speed tradeoff there, and while the speed advantage is significant it's not like the quality part isn't there.
MaterialDefender

@Okta: Mount and Blade (Warblade) is supported. I haven't really played it though and am unsure whether it's very well suited to be played on the Rift in general. But in regard to VorpX it does work fine.

As things stand now there will most likely be a generic profile that has most functionality minus the stereoscopic 3D. Image warping and head tracking in mouse emulation mode will work for most games out of the box. Stereoscopic 3D has to be added game by game though, most likely there will be ~50 for the initial release. Support for more will be added later, depending on the success of the thing, of course.

@Durante:
But those artifacts usually happen when support for stereoscopic rendering is added to the game later on
Yes, but that's what were talking about here, isn't it? Adding 3D support to games that do not have it built in. Not much use for a driver like this if a game already has stereoscopic 3D. ;)
hammerbot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by hammerbot »

HI

I know its a long shot but would this driver work with Silent Hunter 5?

This game would be perfect for VR
Okta

Post by Okta »

hammerbot wrote:HI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY0lBjrlfT0

Holy cow! Imagine this with the Rift and some GVS http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=15403

Have competitions with your friends to see who can keep his lunch down the longest :lol:
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
miFFhoe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by miFFhoe »

Haven't seen anybody here talking about Flight Simulator 2004 & X, what about them? Rift + FSX would change my life.
hammerbot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by hammerbot »

Okta wrote:
hammerbot wrote:HI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY0lBjrlfT0

Holy cow! Imagine this with the Rift and some GVS http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=15403

Have competitions with your friends to see who can keep his lunch down the longest :lol:

Yeah. My fav video is this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmvkGPBYQMA

Just imagine seeing this trough rift :D
kalabalik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kalabalik »

MaterialDefender wrote:@kalabalik: There will be some racing games for sure, most likely not every single one from your list for now though. Aerofly FS doesn't seem to be that popular, so it might not make it into the initial release. But I have it on my list now. So maybe it will be supported later, provided it uses DirectX.
Very nice to have some racers!

But even if Aerofly aint that popular right now I could easily see that change with a Rift...

Just watch these:
Wonderful video; and according to a commenter it's super easy to pick up and play: http://youtu.be/KAZwLM_mVzo
Glider aerobatics: http://youtu.be/CAnGkWoQTf0
Someone already got the HMZ working with AFS: http://youtu.be/loRqx92CGdQ

So that would be a very nice flight sim to use as its arcadey in its simplicity but yet a joy to fly as the wind simulation and 'feel' of the planes has the right weight to them...

Can't wait to soar the swiss skies! <3
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cromfel »

What I would really love to see with Rift is Free Space 2 for me its the most awesome space game ever.

I get such a flashbacks when I look at the Hawken videos because the cabin "feeling" of suitability is same with Free Space when thinking of Rift. :roll:

The thing is that Free Space 2 actually was released as an Open Source project so it would be one hell of a blast to see it with Rift :woot
Mel

Post by Mel »

Cromfel wrote:What I would really love to see with Rift is Free Space 2 for me its the most awesome space game ever.

I get such a flashbacks when I look at the Hawken videos because the cabin "feeling" of suitability is same with Free Space when thinking of Rift. :roll:

The thing is that Free Space 2 actually was released as an Open Source project so it would be one hell of a blast to see it with Rift :woot
I purchased Free Space 2 to use with my DIY Rift (for, like, $3.00), and discovered that it's a non-DirectX game. Apparently there's a DX9 conversion for it somewhere, but I was unable to find it. Does anyone know anything about this 'patch'.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

@ miFFhoe: I'll be using it with FSX etc. However, I suspect it will be too hard to read gauges etc due to the resolution, and unfortunately due to the complete VR coverage, we wont be able to use external gauges etc either, so will have to rely on zoom.
Mel

Post by Mel »

WiredEarp wrote:@ miFFhoe: I'll be using it with FSX etc. However, I suspect it will be too hard to read gauges etc due to the resolution, and unfortunately due to the complete VR coverage, we wont be able to use external gauges etc either, so will have to rely on zoom.
FWIW: I tried FS-X on my DIY Rift, in conjunction with DDD and TrackIR 5, and didn't have any problem reading the gauges if I leaned towards them a bit. The two big issues with FS-X were the less than optimal out-the-window views due to low screen resolution and really low frame rate (sorry, I didn't measure the frame rate, but I would estimate it at somewhere between 10 and 20 FPS).

My machine: Window 7/64, Core i7 @ 2.67GHz, 6Gb RAM, Geforce GTX-285.

Not a stellar machine, but no slouch either. Hopefully MaterialDefender's 'driver' can remedy the frame rate problem.
miFFhoe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by miFFhoe »

Mel wrote:
WiredEarp wrote:@ miFFhoe: I'll be using it with FSX etc. However, I suspect it will be too hard to read gauges etc due to the resolution, and unfortunately due to the complete VR coverage, we wont be able to use external gauges etc either, so will have to rely on zoom.
FWIW: I tried FS-X on my DIY Rift, in conjunction with DDD and TrackIR 5, and didn't have any problem reading the gauges if I leaned towards them a bit. The two big issues with FS-X were the less than optimal out-the-window views due to low screen resolution and really low frame rate (sorry, I didn't measure the frame rate, but I would estimate it at somewhere between 10 and 20 FPS).

Not a stellar machine, but no slouch either. Hopefully MaterialDefender's 'driver' can remedy the frame rate problem.
Well that seems pretty awesome :) I've got TrackIR5 to so leaning towards the instruments in the NGX wont be a problem for me:) How awesome is it to fly with that kind of view ? :D
I've got I7 2600k@4,4GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX580 and get around 30fps in 1080p, hopefully i'll get higher fps with the lower res so.. :)

Will it be a big problem integrating Rifts tracking into FSX?
bobjwatts
Cross Eyed!

Post by bobjwatts »

Mel wrote:I purchased Free Space 2 to use with my DIY Rift (for, like, $3.00), and discovered that it's a non-DirectX game. Apparently there's a DX9 conversion for it somewhere, but I was unable to find it. Does anyone know anything about this 'patch'.
I have had some success with older games with this http://sourceforge.net/projects/gldirect/ Quake 3 on the DIY was a novelty.

I got FS-X working but it was laggy and I got motion sickness when the plane banked. :?
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

@ Mel: what driver were you using for your DIY Rift? Is it a warping driver that is causing the frames to drop that low, or just your system rendering FSX in 3D? What vid card do you have?
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

@ bobjwatts: that looks cool, but the site says its only for XP max. Do you know if theres a version or equivalent that works on Windows Vista/7?
Mel

Post by Mel »

miFFhoe wrote:
Mel wrote:

Well that seems pretty awesome :) I've got TrackIR5 to so leaning towards the instruments in the NGX wont be a problem for me:) How awesome is it to fly with that kind of view ? :D
I've got I7 2600k@4,4GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX580 and get around 30fps in 1080p, hopefully i'll get higher fps with the lower res so.. :)

Will it be a big problem integrating Rifts tracking into FSX?
I would not call the FS-X experience awesome, by any means. For the two reasons given, it was more like 'just OK'. If you're only getting 30FPS at 1080p, then I'd guess that you probably couldn't expect much better than 20-25FPS at 1280x800, stereo.
Mel

Post by Mel »

WiredEarp wrote:@ Mel: what driver were you using for your DIY Rift? Is it a warping driver that is causing the frames to drop that low, or just your system rendering FSX in 3D? What vid card do you have?
I used DDD in SBS mode, so no warping and no aspect correction. Low framerate is strictly from a lack of PC horsepower for the stereo render.

MaterialDefender

Regarding FSX: VorpX works with FSX, this is something I really wanted for myself too. It has the usual ~10% performance loss.
Mel

Post by Mel »

MaterialDefender wrote:Regarding FSX: VorpX works with FSX, this is something I really wanted for myself too. It has the usual ~10% performance loss.
That's great news, performance-wise.

Given that the current state of motion sensing (from Oculus, at least) does not include translation, how do you handle head-tracking is FS-X? TrackIR-5 is good in that you can lean closer to the gauges to get a better look (read: better clarity due to the 'zoom' effect achieved simply by putting your head closer).
MaterialDefender

Nothing I can do about positional tracking, unfortunately. That's a restriction of the devkit, but will be taken care of for the consumer version of the Rift if I understood that correctly. With the devkit you will have to use something like TrackIR additionally.
Mel

Post by Mel »

MaterialDefender wrote:Nothing I can do about positional tracking, unfortunately. That's a restriction of the devkit, but will be taken care of for the consumer version of the Rift if I understood that correctly. With the devkit you will have to use something like TrackIR additionally.
But if the devkit APIs did provide translation data, would it be usable as far as your re-projection technique is concerned?
MaterialDefender

VorpX has functionality for mapping sensor input to mouse movement. Adding TrackIR functionality to this might be possible, that's not connected to the way the 3d effect is created. But this is nothing I will look into now, since it doesn't make any sense for the devkit.

Provided the Rifts consumer version will get positional tracking, I will look into that for sure.
bobjwatts
Cross Eyed!

Post by bobjwatts »

WiredEarp wrote:@ bobjwatts: that looks cool, but the site says its only for XP max. Do you know if theres a version or equivalent that works on Windows Vista/7?
Yeah I'm using it in Win7 64 without any issues.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

It makes sense for the devkit because your eyes don't rotate around their combined centre when you yaw, pitch, and roll. You roll with your neck and torso, so it is really leaning around the cockpit. Your eyes also move down and forwards when you pitch down. So even with a 3DOF tracker, you should be sending 6DOF TrackIR input to the game, based on a head, neck, and torso rotation model. Unless they have an actual TrackIR.
hammerbot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by hammerbot »

Hi MaterialDefender.

Would this driver be compatible with Silent Hunter 5 by any chance? There is a pretty big community over subsim.com who would absolutely love to be inside their submarine.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Congratulations on your achievments!
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
backstaia
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by backstaia »

Since we are already compiling a wishlist for supported games, i have another rather exotic game which i would love to experience in VR
Star Wars Republic Commando. Its a quite nice FPS, the guys are wearing helmets ;-) its not demanding from a hardware perspective, DirectX i guess, fantastic star wars atmosphere and sound and theres a demo to play around
a man can dream :)

Return to “General Discussion”