Cyberith Virtualizer ODT

Discussion of tools and products that add VR physicality. Samples include VR treadmills, special hand controllers, gesture technology and more.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Cyberith Virtualizer ODT

Post by cybereality »

This is looking interesting. Certainly seems to have some advantages over previous efforts.

Now the question is: where I am going to put my growing collection of ODTs?
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

cybereality wrote:This is looking interesting. Certainly seems to have some advantages over previous efforts.

Now the question is: where I am going to put my growing collection of ODTs?
You are allowed to store one or two at my place :)
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

colocolo wrote:seems like someone wants to let shine his product in a better light than the other.
Aluminium, and all these ball bearings.... sounds to the average like 'hell this will cost the world'.
I don't think Cyberith has used here any ball bearings at all. Just normal sliding bearings.
Not to forget that Cyberith already said that they have invented a ring structure that will weigh almost
'ZERO'.
Nothing against the Omni, but i miss the neutrality here a bit.
I'm guessing a simple counterweight system would do that. Have a pulley going over the top of each post with a weight equivalent to 1/3 rd the weight of the ring (for a three post system) attached to the other end. You would still feel the ring when you go up and down due to momentum, but it would be minimal.
bornofmaya
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bornofmaya »

I personally won't mind if this is more expensive than the Omni because with the help of moving parts it will support more stances/movements. I see this as the high-end tier of the current ODTs, which are in known production.
Zoide
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Zoide »

bornofmaya wrote:I personally won't mind if this is more expensive than the Omni because with the help of moving parts it will support more stances/movements. I see this as the high-end tier of the current ODTs, which are in known production.
Please don't give Cyberith the wrong pricing ideas! Already the Omni is too expensive :o
bornofmaya
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bornofmaya »

Okay, well if it's the same price as the Omni then it's time for Jan to think about lowering the price of the Omni. :P
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Zoide wrote:
bornofmaya wrote:I personally won't mind if this is more expensive than the Omni because with the help of moving parts it will support more stances/movements. I see this as the high-end tier of the current ODTs, which are in known production.
Please don't give Cyberith the wrong pricing ideas! Already the Omni is too expensive :o
Make one yourself for cheaper then. ;-)
ziphnor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ziphnor »

Just noticed that http://www.cyberith.com is up now with an FAQ etc. Thought people might be interested.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

From the FAQ:
Is it possible to drive a car or a tank in the game?
Therefore you can use the gamepad in your hand. You drive the vehicle like you are used to do so. We want to include a possibility to sit down in the Virtualizer for situations like that.

Does that read a little weird to anyone else? What would be the advantage to sitting in the Virtualizer with a gamepad to drive a tank vs. sitting in my chair? Perhaps just thinking about games where you get in and out of a car/tank?
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

A lot of VR sims mix sitting down / walking.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
mickman

Post by mickman »

I'm interested in the vertical poles: He has used a flexible coupling or some device that allows the pole to give slightly when the user moves forward, back etc... I'm guessing that the poles don't need to be kept firmly in an upright position ?

I'm also trying to figure out the best solution for the rotating action of the ring that surrounds the user (not the harness) ... would a few skate style bearings be ok to use to attain rotation & what sort of rail would be best to incorporate ?

I am definitely going down the path of a concave style dish platform for walking & the vertical slide system for jump/crouch.

As for the poles getting in your way or falling .onto it ... a safety tether might be the go or simply pad the top of each post... the flexible coupling in each poles base would probably reduce some damage inflicted.

Perhaps each vertical rail system could incorporate a spring to take up tension if the user wanted to actually sit but once again, the flexible coupling at the pole's base might simply have you veer over to one side & you end up on your face.... This is partly why i have an interest in the pole's coupling...

Ah ok.. I just read the FAQ section.... interesting & here's a new video show casing how to sit.

cool !

[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... hhw8#at=33[/youtube-hd]
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
mhe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mhe »

Wow, that is really impressive. Also, the Tech University of Vienna is about 15 walking minutes from where I work, I'll try and mail them, perhaps I'm allowed to come over for a short test. This thing might even be better than the Omni concept so far. Will report if I get a chance to try it first hand.
adventurer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by adventurer »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhw9fdlVqBQ

so looking forward to update like this
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Any news? Thanks
Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

Since you're making a prototype, and it's still at an unknown stage, couldn't you add some sort of 2DOF of motion by motors, maybe the panel we stand on can move? Force Feedback would be crazy immersive, and compete directly to whatever comes out, since they're going to be motionless.
remosito

Post by remosito »

just saw y'all gonna be at Gamescom :-)

Very excited to give the Virtualizer a test run!!! Well, or at least have a look at it in case
you ain't doing visitor demos or line is to long!
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
Tuncay Cakmak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tuncay Cakmak »

Hey guys!

Here is the newest Video of the Virtualizer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orgfapUwtOA

We are working hard on the development, so if you have any desires, feel free to write me info@cyberith.com

We are not building the Virtualizer for us, we are building it for the VR community, we are building it for you guys!!

Im very excited about the future of gaming.... I want to play some nice FPS with you guys in VR!!!

Our next steps are: Game-City Convention in Vienna at 27. - 29. September, Development of the software for analog movements like analog walking,running.... analog crouching; planning and preparing for crowd funding

- Tuncay Cakmak, BECAUSE REALITY IS NOT ENOUGH.....
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Have you thought about experimenting with a dish format? If you have, why do you think the flat surface is superior?

There's a long history of ODTs using the dish format (omni is definitely not the first, there's a movie from 90's that was using it).
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

you inspired me also to post a proposal.
have you thought of building a simple wooden matrix in which big marbles (2-3cm) would fit in?
perhaps this way walking slowly will get easier. you would have to use shoes,sure :D
if you lay felt onto the wooden bottom sides of the matrix the marbles also should glide better.
perhaps they have to be much bigger, approx. the size of mini billard balls....
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This is looking really good. It seems to have a more natural gait than the other contenders.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

colocolo wrote:you inspired me also to post a proposal.
have you thought of building a simple wooden matrix in which big marbles (2-3cm) would fit in?
perhaps this way walking slowly will get easier. you would have to use shoes,sure :D
if you lay felt onto the wooden bottom sides of the matrix the marbles also should glide better.
perhaps they have to be much bigger, approx. the size of mini billard balls....
I've tried that actually, it's hard on the feet, especially if you're pretty big.

There's some nice things about the cyberith, but I have to admit, my back still aches just watching him bending over in the video like that.

Might be good for some VR rickshaw game though...

Zoide

Post by Zoide »

LOL

That is *exactly* what walking looks like with the Virtualizer (sorry guys!). Like many others have said, I think having a dish-shaped surface would help reduce the perceived effort required for each stride.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Zoide wrote:LOL

That is *exactly* what walking looks like with the Virtualizer (sorry guys!). Like many others have said, I think having a dish-shaped surface would help reduce the perceived effort required for each stride.
or mini billard balls (or with lower diameter) in a low friction matrix.
the working mechanism in the virtualizer is fairly simply. ive tested basically the same with silicon spray on my floor (with socks) and pushing me back with my hands from a wall. running on the spot is really smooth(youdont need even a support). but when it comes to walking slowly on the spot it becomes much tougher.
so thats why i think balls (on a flat surface) could do the job here.

EDIT: whats more attractive about it is that eventually it could be a machine easy to build for everyone. And thats what VR actually needs so badly. a cheap DIY ODT to overcome motion sickness and making it accessable to the masses. ANd of course muchmuch more fun! :lol:
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

I think something people don't appreciate is long term usage. 5 minutes here or there is fine, but when you play TF2 at high speeds for 1 hour (or even more) straight, small things like these flat surfaces or marbles or whatever can become very large, painful things.

I have to admit, as unnatural and dangerous for newbs as the wizdish was, it is probably somewhat easy on the body ergonomics wise.
JohnyX
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JohnyX »

Regular threadmill at costco is at $ 700...
Working on my odt I can see it is possible to build a true "ergonomic" apparatus at this price tag.....with use of quality hardware. The problem is $700 price tag does not include ...other very important whistles and bells like hmd, sound, force feedback, haptics, ambient exiters like wind blow pressure......did I mention motion tracking?
At present state such feat already possible........in a range price of good sim setup.
pheroton
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pheroton »

They've uploaded a new video playing GTA IV in first person, looks awesome!

[youtube-hd][http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRyOzyTta24[/youtube-hd]
ziphnor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ziphnor »

A little bit surprised this thread hasn't seen any activity after the Virtualizer kickstarter started, but perhaps the discussion is just happening elsewhere? It definitely looks like it will be successful with 87% funding and 32 days to go.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

ziphnor wrote:A little bit surprised this thread hasn't seen any activity after the Virtualizer kickstarter started, but perhaps the discussion is just happening elsewhere? It definitely looks like it will be successful with 87% funding and 32 days to go.
I think there's been more discussion over at Reddit and the Oculus forums.
ziphnor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ziphnor »

I have been following it on the oculus forums but hadnt thought about reddit. This particular subforum seems a bit dead overall :)

Return to “Physical VR Tools”