Private Eye - Rear Window inspired psychological thriller

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
silentslack
One Eyed Hopeful

Private Eye - Rear Window inspired psychological thriller

Post by silentslack »

Hi MTBS community,

I'm the creative director of a new game for the Oculus Rift called Private Eye. Private Eye will be a cinematic, psychological thriller where the clues to catching a killer will be as much about spying on your neighbors as it will be about exploring your own mind. Inspired by great psychological games such as the Silent Hill series and by classic film-noir movies we hope to produce an original, atmospheric rift experience.

The first incarnation of Private Eye was as a VR Jam entry that went on to make the finalist list. The vouyeristic element was there but the gameplay was nothing more than a simple "find-an-object" type scenario. It got tired pretty quickly and so we aim to really improve on this aspect in the new game. For the past 2 months we have worked very hard on creating an original and compelling narrative and fleshed out the characters that you as a player will watch over. We haven't got a huge amount to show right now but we hope that will change over the next couple of weeks. We hope that we can get the support of the VR community on this project and would love to hear what you think of Private Eye or what you liked/didn't like of the original Jam effort.

We have just launched a website http://www.privateeyevr.com where you can find updates about our game.

Many thanks, Jake & the Private Eye team!
Creative Director of Private Eye - A cinematic, psychological thriller for the Oculus Rift, where voyeurism meets mystery, played out against a 1950's New York city backdrop.
Official site: www.privateeyevr.com
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Private Eye - Rear Window inspired psychological thrille

Post by cybereality »

Awesome! Really loved this game.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

silentslack wrote:The vouyeristic element was there but the gameplay was nothing more than a simple "find-an-object" type scenario. It got tired pretty quickly and so we aim to really improve on this aspect in the new game.
Can I ask what kind of inputs and player interactions you're considering for the full game? Obviously if you're intending to progress the gameplay from "find-the-thing", you'll probably need new interactions!

I also see that our protagonist is still wheelchair-bound - does that mean he will be stationary? Perhaps he could be.... taken on a journey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip2YjGmom8Q
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
silentslack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by silentslack »

We don't want to give too much away right now, more will be revealed in the coming weeks, but the player will be encouraged to discover and explore his own memories; memories before the accident and before you were crippled to a wheelchair. What you dig up from the past will relate to the present and vice versa. The focal binocular view will be more about interpreting what you are seeing, analysing people's behavior, observing (or indeed missing) narrative unfold and how it all relates to a bigger story.

Love the idea that you are forcefully wheeled around and out of your control. I'd imagine the player feeling totally powerless and vulnerable in such a situation. hmmmmm....
Creative Director of Private Eye - A cinematic, psychological thriller for the Oculus Rift, where voyeurism meets mystery, played out against a 1950's New York city backdrop.
silentslack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by silentslack »

We have just finished putting together this teaser trailer for Private Eye:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03oGL9J7knE

It's purpose is to help demonstrate the cinematic, moody vibe of the game. Although we are a small studio we are attempting to create polished, cinematic story and an experience that audiences can really be affected by. We will be showing some ingame bits shortly and will have a gameplay demo ready for our Kickstarter in December.

Thanks for watching!
the_wretched
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by the_wretched »

Yes! I am so glad you are continuing development on this idea. :D

I loved the VR jam entry and I am very much looking forward to a full game and the Kickstarter!
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Eager to see more details - the trailer looks to be of very high quality.
silentslack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by silentslack »

Hey guys, very please to say that development for Private Eye is still going strong and we're gearing up for our Kickstarter campaign - should have plenty of content to bring you very soon.

For the moment let us know what you think of this concept art for the player's primary view in the game? We're considering expanding it although doing less with more detail is better? Be great to know what you guys think?

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Looks great!
silentslack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by silentslack »

The Oculus Share demo is nearly completion and here is very sneak peak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbIzyqeeizI
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

This is looking better and better.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Wow, new trailer looks great! Really evocative. The wheelchair is just so ideal for a seated VR experience - I wonder how many other future titles might adopt the same idea. You're the only one I know of so far.
silentslack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by silentslack »

Finally, a section of the Kickstarter demo is up for grabs. Head over to our official site: http://privateeyevr.com to grab a copy. Cheers!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”