Anyone test the Hillcrest FSM-9 Module tracker?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Goldwarrior
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Goldwarrior »

"FSM-9 supports libfreespace which is open source API for Windows and Linux (http://libfreespace.hillcrestlabs.com/) for USB connections and a fully documented SPI interface if you would prefer to connect via that method. There is mouse emulation as well which uses our award winning cursor algorithm that is in millions of consumer electronics devices today.

I expect that Freepie will work with it with a little modification of the existing driver. There was a driver floating around for the USB-2 with Freepie that should be available on Freepie’s site. The API has changed a little bit with the FSM-9, but the changes should be small. We also support VPRN. If you use that API let me know and I can provide the necessary changes (I have not checked in the changes required for the FSM-9 to their repository).

We have been told that the FSM-9 accuracy and stability is very good compared with competing modules. The USB-2 was nice, but it did not have a magnetometer so the yaw orientation was not long term accurate. The FSM-9 also supports faster update rates."

Any comments?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Anyone test the Hillcrest FSM-9 Module tracker?

Post by cybereality »

I used the older Hillcrest sensor. It was OK. I mean, it did the job but I guess I'm spoiled after using the Rift tracking system.

Also, $300 seems outrageous for just a tracker.
mellott124
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Anyone test the Hillcrest FSM-9 Module tracker?

Post by mellott124 »

I have the FSM-9 module. It's the best MEMs head tracker I've used so far.
Less drift then the YEI 3-space module and doesn't overshoot. Hillcrest did a nice job.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”