Quake3 - Ready for VR

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Re: Quake3 - Ready for VR

Post by yomer »

densohax,
So, you're modding just the render module, right? If I remember correctly, there are other games such as American McGee's Alice that use the same Id Tech 3 engine. Would it be possible to apply the same mods to those games?
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

yomer wrote:densohax,
So, you're modding just the render module, right? If I remember correctly, there are other games such as American McGee's Alice that use the same Id Tech 3 engine. Would it be possible to apply the same mods to those games?
In fact, I modified much more!

The input for the HMD, the server that now have a head tracker message, the system init to initialize oculus sdk, added a bunch of new variables to the console, will add a calibration menu soon, player model view on top of neck, separated head movement from view and from weapon/body movement, changed collision with walls since now the gun has a real depth etc..
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

Urban Terror realism based mod for Quake 3 could be fun to play around.
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

densohax wrote:
yomer wrote:densohax,
In fact, I modified much more!

The input for the HMD, the server that now have a head tracker message, the system init to initialize oculus sdk, added a bunch of new variables to the console, will add a calibration menu soon, player model view on top of neck, separated head movement from view and from weapon/body movement, changed collision with walls since now the gun has a real depth etc..
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Lol, What the hell is that!?
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Poor thing is begging for the source. ;)
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

MrGreen wrote:Poor thing is begging for the source. ;)
:lol:

Give me a little time, if you can wait for the rift, you can wait for the source! :o
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

densohax wrote:
MrGreen wrote:Poor thing is begging for the source. ;)
:lol:

Give me a little time, if you can wait for the rift, you can wait for the source! :o
Yeah I know. I just couldn't miss this opportunity to post that pic. :)

For the record, I can't wait for the rift, though.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

MrGreen wrote: For the record, I can't wait for the rift, though.
Who can! :)
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

I'm deeply impressed. I can't wait to try it out. So essentially, you're modding the source in between lines. So unless the other games use exactly the same classes/methods as quake does, tghen the mod will not be portable.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather experience QIII than nothing at all, I just instantly thought of Alice when I heard you were modding the quake engine

:twisted:
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Hydra support is done!

Btw I tried VRQuake3 in the rift at work with the device of a coworker.. It's very impressive, I didn't think I would like it the first time I try it, but really I like how the player moves in quake, to me it looks really good, and with the hydra it's gonna be awesome!
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Hydra support as in independent weapon aiming!? :shock:
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

MrGreen wrote:Hydra support as in independent weapon aiming!? :shock:
Yep.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

densohax wrote:
MrGreen wrote:Hydra support as in independent weapon aiming!? :shock:
Yep.
Dayum! You work fast!

Now if only all this stuff could be wireless...

I installed ioquake3 to begin testing my old mod and from the get go there's UI stuff not working. The map screenshots weren't showing and the launch button didn't even work. I'm off to a good start. :lol:

Obviously our PlanetQuake web site is long dead but for some mind boggling reason that escapes me, there's still a mirror here:

http://bit7.org/quake/mirrors/alliance/

Menu on top is a little fubar but all the content still seems to be there if anyone ever gives a damn. :lol:

Our last news update was on November 3, 2002. Man time sure flies.
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

Hey densohax... awesome work your doing here :D

I intend to get the Rift working with Return to Castle Wolfenstein once I get my rift, and think your work with Q3 will deffo get me a long way to achieving it !

Once RtCW is Rift / Hydra friendly I intend on getting my (very old, but have continued to dream of updating over the years) mod called "The WildWest" Rift / Hydra friendly too.

Web site for the mod is still up (but not really updated for maybe 6 years !! lol)
http://www.the-wildwest.co.uk

Cheers,

Hewster
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

Hewster wrote:
I intend to get the Rift working with Return to Castle Wolfenstein once I get my rift, and think your work with Q3 will deffo get me a long way to achieving it !
Oh god. The amount of instagib goldrush rtcw I played when I was younger is staggering. Rifted rtcw would be awesome.

On topic: this looks great. Getting impatient for my rift now xD
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Here comes the source!

Ok please don't judge me on the quality of the implementation, since I was mainly playing around the code to integrate the rift and the hydra, it's a bit hacky, I wanted to clean this up, but really I don't have much time these days, so let's put that in the hand of open source people, I'm sure you can make it much better than what I did!

Follow my lead with the comments. It was mainly bookmarks for me to quickly find items in the source.
The source is based on ioquake3 and I didn't change a whole lot, but I hacked a bit here and there. A cleanup is necessary. If nobody cleans it up, I will do it when I get a chance.
Feel free to enhance this. It also supports the hydra!

Oh and the vc project is probably hardcoded to a path on my PC, feel free to fix that :P

Oh and search for vr_ it will show you the console variables that I add to ioquake3.
Last edited by densohax on Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sth »

Thank you! :D
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Hmmmmm, looks like I forgot to add libovrwrapper in the tree. I will do that tonight when I'm at home!
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Awesome news!

Now if only they could ship my Rift! :D
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

@densohax

Thank-you for sharing your code :)

Now, I'm not any kind of professional programmer, however you seem to have not included a header file:

libovrwrapper.h

??

Or am I being dumb.

I think I may need a little help getting this compiled successfully !

Cheers,

Hewster
IGameArt
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by IGameArt »

That's a part of the OR sdk, you can get that on the developer site in a matter of minutes.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Yeah sorry, for some reason this didn't get commited, I am commiting it as we speak. It's actually not part of libovr, it's a dll that bridges the calls for libovr and sixense sdk!
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

@densohax Thank-you.

I've got it to compile and run :)

However, I'm getting a few graphic glitches and control problems (I'm using Hydra but not Rift atm).
So before I delve into the code, could I request that you upload your compiled binaries ?
This would allow me to see if the problem is my end or something else.

Cheers,

Hewster
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Hewster wrote:@densohax Thank-you.

I've got it to compile and run :)

However, I'm getting a few graphic glitches and control problems (I'm using Hydra but not Rift atm).
So before I delve into the code, could I request that you upload your compiled binaries ?
This would allow me to see if the problem is my end or something else.

Cheers,

Hewster
It's most probably your q3config.cfg and the fact that you need to run without internal vm!

I've commited workdir folder, you have what is needed to run with hydra and hmd.

You need this command-line, it is the content of RUN.bat in the workdir:
ioquake3.exe +set sv_pure 0 +set vm_ui 0 +set vm_game 0 +set vm_cgame 0
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

densohax wrote:
It's most probably your q3config.cfg and the fact that you need to run without internal vm!

I can put q3config.cfg on github. As for the command line, this is what you need :

I've commited workdir folder, you have what is needed to run with hydra and hmd.
I am running with that command line already.

If I could have a copy of your binaries would help me I think ...
And a copy of your confg would be useful too :)
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Hewster wrote:
densohax wrote:

I can put q3config.cfg on github. As for the command line, this is what you need :

I am running with that command line already.

If I could have a copy of your binaries would help me I think ...
And a copy of your confg would be useful too :)

As I said, the config is in baseq3 on github.
Your binaries are most probably alright already!
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

Ok, tried your config...

Am getting same issues.. portal skys and zooming causing "hall of mirrors" and unable to turn character with mouse (view moves slightly, then snaps back to original view)

Getting odd effects with hydra too... player seems to turn upside down after firing !!

Thanks for your help, will see if I can find what I'm doing wrong.

Hewster
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Hewster wrote:Ok, tried your config...

Am getting same issues.. portal skys and zooming causing "hall of mirrors" and unable to turn character with mouse (view moves slightly, then snaps back to original view)

Getting odd effects with hydra too... player seems to turn upside down after firing !!

Thanks for your help, will see if I can find what I'm doing wrong.

Hewster
Disconnect hydra to use mouse.
Don't Zoom, it doesn't work.
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

Still no joy with mouse.. I wonder.. is it because I don't have a Rift connected?
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Hewster wrote:Still no joy with mouse.. I wonder.. is it because I don't have a Rift connected?
CG_OffsetVRView function in cg_view.c controls the view of the player and the mouse should control the refdefViewAngles[YAW] and refdefViewAngles[PITCH] when there's no head tracking.

Break point in OVRDetected and you'll see what happens.

OVR_ search in all the solution will point you to the library calls that controls sixense and ovr.
Searching for //*** will give you an idea of the bookmark and changes I made in the source.
Get yourself a fresh ioquake3 source copy on github and compare my source with it to get an idea of the mods I made.

cl_input.c takes inputs from hmd and sixense and mouse, so you can dig in there as well.
lukexi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lukexi »

I'm having similar trouble - as soon as I spawn, it seems like the player is being controlled simultaneously by AI and input, and I'm inside the middle of the body model : ).

Connecting the Hydra seems to be mistaken for the Rift's tracker, and the actual Rift tracker doesn't have an effect (though the split view & barrel distortion seem to be good!).

Super pumped that you're working on it though!!
sth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sth »

Same problem here – the player is constantly turning and shooting after spawning, no matter what input devices are connected.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

lukexi wrote:I'm having similar trouble - as soon as I spawn, it seems like the player is being controlled simultaneously by AI and input, and I'm inside the middle of the body model : ).

Connecting the Hydra seems to be mistaken for the Rift's tracker, and the actual Rift tracker doesn't have an effect (though the split view & barrel distortion seem to be good!).

Super pumped that you're working on it though!!
I am not working on it.

Here everything is fine, so it's in your hands to trace the issue!

I am commiting my binaries, so, try it with those, if it works, there must be something different in the source on github.

*** everything is similar in my sources and those on github. I recompiled and everything works fine.

You are either not running with the provided q3config.cfg, or the q3config.cfg has been overwritten because you didn't run with the proper command line. Just running ioquake3.exe will trash the q3config.cfg and it won't work anymore.
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

@densohax Thanks for uploading your binaries...

Ok, It seems my problem is with my compilation of your libovrwrapper.dll
When I simply swap mine for yours, all is ok... I will investigate ... it could be that I had tried using the release build.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Hewster wrote:@densohax Thanks for uploading your binaries...

Ok, It seems my problem is with my compilation of your libovrwrapper.dll
When I simply swap mine for yours, all is ok... I will investigate ... it could be that I had tried using the release build.
Hmm this is strange.. I build with Visual Studio 2010 (loboverwrapper) and I tried both, debug and release and it worked.
I build quake with visual studio 2008 tho :)

Let me know, glad it's fixed, I was starting to feel I didn't do a good job there :P
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

I should say that I think you have done a great job with this project :)

The issue is a minor one really....(although still awaiting my rift to test head tracking)

Hydra integration is working on both release and debug, its just if you use the release version,
its as though the software (might even be the sixsence dll's) thinks the Hydra is connected even when its not ... debug version does not have this "minor" problem.

I've upgraded the OVR SDK to the latest version (0.2.1) and the sixthsense SDK (062612) too ... not sure what version you built with.
Also built my own SDL.dll (1.2.15) and GLew.dll (1.9.0) for good measure.

So thanks again for all your work on this, I hope to start getting Return to Castle Wolfenstein Rift compatible soon, and am sure the work you've done with Q3 is gona help a LOT !
(although am wondering if I'm gona have to get the rend2 engine integrated into RtCW to get the warping working)

Cheers,

Hewster.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Hewster wrote:I should say that I think you have done a great job with this project :)

The issue is a minor one really....(although still awaiting my rift to test head tracking)

Hydra integration is working on both release and debug, its just if you use the release version,
its as though the software (might even be the sixsence dll's) thinks the Hydra is connected even when its not ... debug version does not have this "minor" problem.

I've upgraded the OVR SDK to the latest version (0.2.1) and the sixthsense SDK (062612) too ... not sure what version you built with.
Also built my own SDL.dll (1.2.15) and GLew.dll (1.9.0) for good measure.

So thanks again for all your work on this, I hope to start getting Return to Castle Wolfenstein Rift compatible soon, and am sure the work you've done with Q3 is gona help a LOT !
(although am wondering if I'm gona have to get the rend2 engine integrated into RtCW to get the warping working)

Cheers,

Hewster.

Hey thank you very much! :)

Honestly, I could have done it better, but it's a proof of concept. I think the scale is the show stopper, we need to rescale things so that they seem real on the rift. Right now, it's not very immersive because you immediately understand that it's a game. At least, for me it's non-immersive as if, even if stereo works correctly. I seem to be quite sensitive to the details when I use the rift.

As for the release/debug issue, well I'm not sure exactly why it doesn't work, I may have only tested the debug build ..

And I'm not using rend2 right now, but I tried a couple other q3 engines without success.. So there must be a better renderer for q3, feel free to replace the renderer with the one you want!
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

Can't wait to test with the rift so I can fully understand the problem with scale.

re:rend2 engine .. I thought ioquake3 had it integrated by default (Well just presumed because I saw the rend2 folder in the code), but having just looked through the solution it seems it is not.. thats actually good news then :)

I'll start a dedicated thread here when I start my RtCW efforts (hard to get motivated without an actual rift to test with!)
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Can someone tell me if this mod is fully working with head tracking at the moment?

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”