Quake3 - Ready for VR

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Re: Quake3 - Ready for VR

Post by densohax »

oculusfan wrote: It looks pretty good. Two things though:

1. I can't tell what the red thing is in the bottom left.

2. The gun looks like it is twice as big as it should be based on the size of the player model.
1. The red thing is the shoulder of the model

2. Well the guns are made bigger than they should be, at least that's what it feels like. Also, this is correct scaling according to the maths, so yeah, if it doesn't feel right with the rift I might adjust it correctly!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

A little bit of "window violation error" going on at the upper torso there. As you can see, the text at the surface "window" is embedded deeply into the flesh (which needs to be moved down a bit with less 3D convergence). Other than that, it is looking rather awesome!
:D
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

geekmaster wrote:A little bit of "window violation error" going on at the upper torso there. As you can see, the text at the surface "window" is embedded deeply into the flesh (which needs to be moved down a bit with less 3D convergence). Other than that, it is looking rather awesome!
:D
Haha thanks for pointing this out! :P

As you probably already know, the HUD can be disabled, and I'll probably play without it as well! I see a possible solution for the hud, I could render the hud at the same depth of the crosshair..

I do have a lot of things to fix before doing that tho, it's far from easy to adapt an old game to be VR perfect.. :)
xef6
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by xef6 »

I figure this thread might be an appropriate place to post this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdW1v9TPNYw[/youtube]
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

xef6 wrote:I figure this thread might be an appropriate place to post this:

Woooohhh this is crazy!! I wonder what renderer he used, looks very sharp.. I'm going to try using another renderer to get that kind of quality!

Btw it must be real easy to add a camera to the lens on the rift and follow the eye.. I might try it actually..
xef6
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by xef6 »

densohax wrote:Btw it must be real easy to add a camera to the lens on the rift and follow the eye.. I might try it actually..
I don't know about "real easy", but I intend on figuring out for myself too once my dev kit arrives. I've done work with eyetracking and "easy" hasn't been a word I generally associate with getting it to work in practice. IMO, the ideal setup would be one camera for each eye, which adds to the challenge. Either way, best of luck to ye!

Also, nice work yourself! It's cool that quake3 is still getting love :)
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

What I meant by real easy:

There are tons of little webcams, could also use a cheap gameboy camera that does edge detection in hardware with an atmega32 and send the coords USB1.1. I also have a 3d printer so I can make a proper len/camera embedded for the rift. Just need the rift in the end!

I meant it would fit real easy in the rift considering that people can put their glasses in (I'm assuming tho). You could place a mirror at an angle just above the eye. But yeah it would probably get in the way.
Tracking the eye doesn't seem like a big deal either, detect round blobs, get biggest blob and position accordingly.

Anyways, for now I need to update the renderer of quake3 with rend2 in ioquake3, that way I'll be able to add shaders to every stage of the pipeline.

And about focus blur, it would be a simple matter of depth filtering or even could be done software with CG_Trace
xef6
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by xef6 »

densohax wrote:What I meant by real easy
I'm not trying to discourage you or anything, but having both made a DIY HMD and put together hardware + written software for an eyetracking school project, I think you might be underselling the work necessary to make it all work together reliably. Placement of the camera is an issue when the lenses are very close to your eyes. IMO there's a significant difference between "finding a round blob" (which really is most of the work) and "works reliably all the time at a high framerate with high accuracy and no glitches". There's a reason existing commercial eyetracker hardware costs upwards of $5000.

That said, I think putting a small (very small) camera in the rift should be a breeze, assuming you have already figured out a camera that fits. If you think you can do it, I really do encourage you to tackle it. A good place to start might be http://www.eyewriter.org/
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

No don't worry, I'm hard to discourage actually... I'll value your experience tho and I'm sure it's harder the higher the resolution you want, but for quick hobby like eye tracking, I think it's not all that hard to get fast approximate results..

I'm looking at this chip : http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/ ... 4282fp.pdf

It's low res and have noise (analog data) but have edge detection on board and I have it laying around..
xef6
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by xef6 »

densohax wrote:No don't worry, I'm hard to discourage actually... I'll value your experience tho and I'm sure it's harder the higher the resolution you want, but for quick hobby like eye tracking, I think it's not all that hard to get fast approximate results..
Oh, I totally agree with you on that. Getting quick hobby like results is pretty easy, and I'm sure you'll be able to do it with little trouble. All I was trying to say is that making it reliable in the long run can be a PITA. My impression is that errors in tracking inside a VR experience might be jarring. Controlling the illumination of the eye inside the rift is much easier, so maybe I'm wrong and it'll end up being way easier than how my experience went (in my group's project, eyes were open to the world which has tons of lighting changes). Either way, yay eyetracking in VR!
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

xef6,

Yeah well I guess we'll see when we get hands on our rift! If you want to play with eye tracking with me later, I'd be happy to do it with someone that have the experience of it!

Will you get your rift in the first batch btw!?
xef6
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by xef6 »

densohax,

Sure! As far as I'm concerned, with eye tracking it's the more the merrier! Sorry to semi-hijack your awesome 3DQ3 thread, but I take any opportunity I can to link that guy's video. I'm order ID ~5100, so I'm certainly hoping to be in the first batch! I'm honestly just super happy that people are starting to take a more serious look at eye tracking for video games. :shock:
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

No problem, I'll post a quake update tonight to put that back on topic XD
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Dev Update:

- Fixed Weapon collision with walls! The gun backs up when hitting the wall instead of going thru it!
- P5 Glove SDK included in VRQuake3, I am in the process of integrating it for Weapon movement, stay tuned!

- Still need to fix gun clipping with curved walls tho.

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rat2IQgZ-u4[/youtube-hd]
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

Nice video. Being able to see your legs and feet really does help immersion a lot - jumping down at 0:27 was cool even just the 2D capture.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

mscoder610 wrote:Nice video. Being able to see your legs and feet really does help immersion a lot - jumping down at 0:27 was cool even just the 2D capture.
Hey thanks!

I'm trying to find a way to record my post processing warping stereo but it doesn't work. But anyways people get the idea anyway :)
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Little Dev update (these took me a while to fix actually, I think I'm losing too much sleep waiting for the Rift to ship, thus my lack of concentration) :

- Fixed curved wall clipping
- Smoothed gun backing (feels more natural)
- Smoothed viewport transition on wall collision (does not "snap")
- Fixed cinematics not rendering correctly
- Bigger console fonts to be readable on the RIFT
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

I love seeing this thread updated. When they announced that Doom was being bundled I always wished it was Quake.
Looks fantastic.

Seeing that video makes me think of the TF2 release where they mentioned that the speed of the character was a little overwhelming. I wonder how Quake will fare?
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Pingles wrote:Seeing that video makes me think of the TF2 release where they mentioned that the speed of the character was a little overwhelming. I wonder how Quake will fare?
Well I think it's really a matter of being acclimated to VR personally. At first, almost everything will be overwhelming, but with time I'm sure people will be able to cope more and more with speed.

I don't see a reason that would limit our VR training.

I guess that varying the stereo separation would also provide an easy way to evolve to higher and higher VR effects and not be overwhelmed at first?

I'm also anxious to try vertical drops, that will be amazing!
Without even playing in VR when I am in the zone playing quake3, I can feel the falling effect; having this feeling with the Rift amplified a 1000 times must be really scary and really great at the same time!
I just cannot wait to feel the Rift!
Frito
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Frito »

densohax wrote:
Pingles wrote:Seeing that video makes me think of the TF2 release where they mentioned that the speed of the character was a little overwhelming. I wonder how Quake will fare?
Well I think it's really a matter of being acclimated to VR personally. At first, almost everything will be overwhelming, but with time I'm sure people will be able to cope more and more with speed.
Great mod densohax

Lets say it IS a little too much on the speedy side, could it be modded? or is it hardcoded?

Railgun trail will look awesome in 3d :mrgreen:
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Frito wrote:
densohax wrote:
Great mod densohax

Lets say it IS a little too much on the speedy side, could it be modded? or is it hardcoded?

Railgun trail will look awesome in 3d :mrgreen:
Well since it's technically not an add-on to quake but a real modification to the engine, yes it can be adjusted. I know that depending on the field of view, the speed of the game change. For example, when I play (I still play often) I play at 140 fov, it seems as if the player was running at 100 mph. But at 110 - 90 fov, I feel it's sluggish..

The speed of the player is all managed by a module, so it's doable.

In fact, I'll add that to my feature list :
- Make a console variable to adjust the speed of the game.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Thank god guys, I have a friend here at EA-Bioware that is in the first shipping batch for the Rift, I'll be able to test VRQuake3 far sooner than I thought!

Can't wait!
eidahl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by eidahl »

Bioware has one? Woh.

Let us know ASAP how many VR Quake jumps you can handle. :twisted:
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

eidahl wrote:Bioware has one? Woh.

Let us know ASAP how many VR Quake jumps you can handle. :twisted:
No no! I know guys that work there that will receive the rift, I have absolutely no idea what bioware do.

And I'm sure I can rocket jump all day long in quake3 vr! :)
Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

densohax wrote:
eidahl wrote:Bioware has one? Woh.
No no! I know guys that work there that will receive the rift, I have absolutely no idea what bioware do.
MDK3 confirmed excursively for VR!!!

/wishful thinking
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Just bought a Hydra, so I'll integrate that to quake if it's not already working right out of the box!
sth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sth »

densohax wrote:Just bought a Hydra, so I'll integrate that to quake if it's not already working right out of the box!
Nice!

If you don't know these links already:
Here's an updated driver that supports multiple input configurations for Quake3: http://sixense.com/products/motioncreator
The official SDK can be found here: http://sixense.com/developers
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

HmM I'm trying to build Q3 with the Oculus SDK but since the Oculus SDK is using C++ and Q3 is not, I have kind of a big problem making it work.. I have a mismatch between the tools used to build a part in C and the other in C++ .. I tried to separate the C++ side in another compile unit but it cannot link..

If someone has a good idea to mix C and C++ project please tell me !
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

I think I could do it by creating an external DLL and using it inside quake, I would isolate the OVR SDK from quake that way.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Success !
IGameArt
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by IGameArt »

Congrats! :P
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

Okay I've found 30 minutes to work on this, it's done.
Head Tracking is done (well I don't have a rift to test, but in theory it will work; Forcing values do what it should).

Still need to implement the correct Shader with the rift parameters now, I think I will wait for my rift before doing that, as I don't have values for all the perspective matrix adjustment..
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

densohax wrote:Okay I've found 30 minutes to work on this, it's done.
Head Tracking is done (well I don't have a rift to test, but in theory it will work; Forcing values do what it should).

Still need to implement the correct Shader with the rift parameters now, I think I will wait for my rift before doing that, as I don't have values for all the perspective matrix adjustment..
I can test it. Where can I download it? Or PM me...
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

I'd like to start working on a CTF mod based on Alliance CTF, a mod I spent 2 years of my life on back in the day.

Of course the point would be to make it for the Rift so I'd love to get my hands on your code, Densohax. Thanks!
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

densohax wrote:Dev Update:

- Fixed Weapon collision with walls! The gun backs up when hitting the wall instead of going thru it!
- P5 Glove SDK included in VRQuake3, I am in the process of integrating it for Weapon movement, stay tuned!

- Still need to fix gun clipping with curved walls tho.
:woot I haven't seen "P5 Enabled" on a game for a long time.

BTW, I made the P5 Glove SDK. (And I didn't make it very well, sorry.) So let me know if you want any help with it.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

2EyeGuy wrote:
densohax wrote:Dev Update:

:woot I haven't seen "P5 Enabled" on a game for a long time.

BTW, I made the P5 Glove SDK. (And I didn't make it very well, sorry.) So let me know if you want any help with it.
Haha sorry 2Eye but I decided to not do it, I have a hydra now, which is better for these kind of things :)
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

MrGreen wrote:I'd like to start working on a CTF mod based on Alliance CTF, a mod I spent 2 years of my life on back in the day.

Of course the point would be to make it for the Rift so I'd love to get my hands on your code, Densohax. Thanks!
Someday I'll have my rift and will finish this project, since then, if you want to ship me your rift so I can finish this, I'll gladly send you the source :)
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

No Rift here yet either, damnit. :cry:
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

densohax wrote:Someday I'll have my rift and will finish this project, until then, if you want to ship me your rift so I can finish this, I'll gladly send you the source :)
We don't have our Rifts either. :(
That's not really the open source spirit (even though it's allowed).
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

2EyeGuy wrote:
densohax wrote:Someday I'll have my rift and will finish this project, until then, if you want to ship me your rift so I can finish this, I'll gladly send you the source :)
We don't have our Rifts either. :(
That's not really the open source spirit (even though it's allowed).
Please call the open source police! :lol:

But really you are wrong, I will put that on github, just not now, I don't want to upload a half baked source with full of hacks.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”