How good is the 3D effect for you guys using Vireio?

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
BullittClay2
One Eyed Hopeful

How good is the 3D effect for you guys using Vireio?

Post by BullittClay2 »

Hi guys,

The games/demos that I've tried with the Rift, that have been properly made for the Rift - Tuscany Demo, TF2, UDK - have an awesome, very convincing stereoscopic 3D effect.

With the games I've tried with the Vireio drivers, the effect has 'seemed' not as strong. This is with HL2, Mirrors Edge and Dear Ester. The sense of 3D feels less apparent, or off.

I was curious to know whether this is the same for other folks, or whether I had to adjust some settings to get it to work better? I tried adducing the separation values and such like, but it didn't seem to help.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: How good is the 3D effect for you guys using Vireio?

Post by Neil »

It is if you know how to adjust the 3D settings.

Follow this guide:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=77

I don't have the games you are trying, but if you follow this guide to a tee, you should get positive results.

I know Skyrim and the L4D series get similar results.

Regards,
Neil
lnrrgb
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by lnrrgb »

I remember the days of old, trying to understand how to get the Nvidia drivers working with various hardware setups. Once you get Virieo working right, whether by accident, or by understanding what is needed, it is a very pronounced effect. You know it when it happens. If you don't "know it", make sure you test that eye-swapping key. I've spent a lot of time adjusting things, thinking I'm doing something valuable, and then accidentally hit the swap eyes button, and POOF! I realize I was wasting time because somehow that switch was thrown, and I didn't know enough to recognize it.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well the effect probably won't be as good as the native demos (since these have full control over everything) but it should still look comparable. You will have the adjust the settings, though, the defaults will not look great in some games. The settings are adjusted with the F keys (F2/F3/etc.) but I think these controls may be broken on some games. Pretty sure HL2 should work, as I tested that the other night. I think the games start with the eyes swapped, so you should press F6 to switch them back. Then mess with F2 and F3 to adjust the 3D effect.
oculi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by oculi »

After playing Skyrim last night, to me it seemed more like having an IMAX screen attached to my head. I was using the C eye cups and adjusted the separation until I got a clear image. I might try the A cups again and see how they affect my perception of the game. The Tuscany demo seems to have a more pronounced 3d effect, it feels more to scale giving the feeling of being in the environment. Having more of the vertical FOV probably helps too.
Last edited by oculi on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil

Post by Neil »

oculi wrote:After playing Skyrim last night, to me it seemed more like having an IMAX screen attached to my head. I was using the C eye cups and adjusted the separation until I got a clear image. I might try the A cups again and see how they affect my perception of the game. The Tuscany demo seems to have a more pronounced 3d effect, it fells more to scale giving the feeling of being in the environment. Having more of the vertical FOV probably helps too.

Did you use the guide? Did you try SHOCT with the convergence control?

Regards,
Neil
oculi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by oculi »

I could have very well screwed up the SHOCT implementation. I got the shortcut commands here instead of the more thorough one here.

I did end up just reverting Vireio to the default settings and slightly tweaked with f2/f3 to get a clear image.
Neil

Post by Neil »

That explains it. Unless you do the calibration the way your eyes are intended, you are going to get an underwhelming experience.

Can you confirm that the updated keystrokes work for you?

At the beginning of this thread, there is a "Release Candidate" build. The SHOCT settings as well as the image reversals are supposed to be saved now as you go from game to game. Once your IPD is saved, it's good for all games.

Regards,
Neil
BullittClay2
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BullittClay2 »

cybereality wrote:Well the effect probably won't be as good as the native demos (since these have full control over everything) but it should still look comparable. You will have the adjust the settings, though, the defaults will not look great in some games. The settings are adjusted with the F keys (F2/F3/etc.) but I think these controls may be broken on some games. Pretty sure HL2 should work, as I tested that the other night. I think the games start with the eyes swapped, so you should press F6 to switch them back. Then mess with F2 and F3 to adjust the 3D effect.
The F6 switch definitely helped - thanks. The warp on Half Life 2 also feels not quite right - but it's still great to have the driver and get a look at those games. Much appreciated.
trens
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by trens »

I noticed once I got the hang of setting up the driver for the game I was playing. The 3D effect was very very realistic and pronounced. Dear Esther made me feel very very alone while looking out over the ocean. When I was playing Dishonored, correctly setup, I would move my head to dodge stuff and I really felt like I was there a few times. The 3D in Dishonored with this driver is pretty dang intense and awesome. :)
oculi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by oculi »

Neil - The hot keys to show SHOCT worked, moving the separation lines also worked, but as others have reported with the latest build some hotkeys are not being picked up like convergence. I did have a little better luck with build 12.

After spending a couple hours at the same place in Skyrim I finally got the 3D effect and I'm no longer seeing what seemed like an IMAX screen strapped to my face. The pop out effect is working now! Unfortunately I had to manually type in the separation and convergence in the profile xml, but I feel I can still get it more finely tuned. One thing that seems to be missing for me is seeing the values when I change the separation or convergence. It felt like I was blindly changing a number without knowing if I've gone too far.

When following the SHOCT setup guide I did have some trouble deciding what would be the center position of each eye. I wonder if there are some visual clues to get that right or in general more tips on figuring that out. Finding a good spot in general to setup the convergence was hard, especially in the first few areas.
Neil

Post by Neil »

oculi wrote:Neil - The hot keys to show SHOCT worked, moving the separation lines also worked, but as others have reported with the latest build some hotkeys are not being picked up like convergence. I did have a little better luck with build 12.

After spending a couple hours at the same place in Skyrim I finally got the 3D effect and I'm no longer seeing what seemed like an IMAX screen strapped to my face. The pop out effect is working now! Unfortunately I had to manually type in the separation and convergence in the profile xml, but I feel I can still get it more finely tuned. One thing that seems to be missing for me is seeing the values when I change the separation or convergence. It felt like I was blindly changing a number without knowing if I've gone too far.

When following the SHOCT setup guide I did have some trouble deciding what would be the center position of each eye. I wonder if there are some visual clues to get that right or in general more tips on figuring that out. Finding a good spot in general to setup the convergence was hard, especially in the first few areas.

This is good news! We'll look at the keystroke problem. If those dang SHOCT lines were working for you (with the keystrokes) this would be a non-issue and be easy as pie! Maybe a future build could have different keystroke mapping options, and you just choose which mapping works best for a couple of options.

Seeing the values would probably be useless because they have different meanings for every game. Believe it or not, Baristan6 hasn't received his Rift yet. Once he does, he can create a starting point IPD based on the hardware which should make things even easier for everyone.

Regards,
Neil
gray
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gray »

Similar experience with Skyrim for me, SHOCT lines vastily improved the sense of depth. Now I just need to get convergence right!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Convergence should be very easy. If I created the game profiles (e.g. Skyrim, L4D 1 and 2), the convergence may already be set properly for you. But follow the guide and blue SHOCT lines to confirm.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “Development / General Discussion”