Vireio Perception 1.0 Released!

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Vireio Perception 1.0 Released!

Post by cybereality »

See the front page article here:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=73

The software is not totally polished right now, but it should work good enough for people to get up and running with their DIY Rifts or upcoming dev-kits.

Have fun guys!
bobjwatts
Cross Eyed!

Re: Vireio Perception 1.0 Released!

Post by bobjwatts »

cybereality wrote:See the front page article here:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=73

The software is not totally polished right now, but it should work good enough for people to get up and running with their DIY Rifts or upcoming dev-kits.

Have fun guys!

Woo! Awesome work cyber! Congrats on v1.0 - can't wait to get home and try it out.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Great work. Bet it feels good to wipe your hands clean.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

brantlew wrote:Great work. Bet it feels good to wipe your hands clean.
Ha! Yeah. I mean I had a lot of fun working on the project, but I have also been spending all my free-time on it for months (which can be stressful).
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

cybereality wrote:
Ha! Yeah. I mean I had a lot of fun working on the project, but I have also been spending all my free-time on it for months (which can be stressful).
I hear ya! You deserve a vacation. Maybe somewhere sunny and warm. ;)
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

brantlew wrote:
cybereality wrote:
I hear ya! You deserve a vacation. Maybe somewhere sunny and warm. ;)
Ooh! You mean like Mexico? Wait, no.. Hawaii? Hmm, that can't be it. Perhaps Australia..

BTW, how long you gonna keep Austin as your location in your profile, brantlew? :P
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

good stuff! but I really do hope that Tridef eventually will offer support.
that being said- you are awesome
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Congratulations! :D
Oh you tease - I need to go and install VS and the DirectX sdk on my home machine....
Last edited by TheHolyChicken on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Mel
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Mel »

2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

MSat wrote:
brantlew wrote: I hear ya! You deserve a vacation. Maybe somewhere sunny and warm. ;)
Ooh! You mean like Mexico? Wait, no.. Hawaii? Hmm, that can't be it. Perhaps Australia..

BTW, how long you gonna keep Austin as your location in your profile, brantlew? :P
Australia is cold and rainy today, especially at Sydney Harbour.

Great work Cybereality! You've helped make the Oculus Rift a success, and given people the chance to play their favourite games with their developer kits. Well done.

I forked and cloned the repository already, but I won't have much time to add game support to it for the next few days.
bobjwatts
Cross Eyed!

Post by bobjwatts »

All up and running! Worked first go with Dear Esther.

Here come the questions :)

Is the Rift SBS setup for the 7" screen? Is there a way to adjust the separation so it can work with different size screens?
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

Great work Cyber!
Thanks for all the hard work you put in.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Great job on this one!
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Awesome work CR!
moomin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by moomin »

Hi Cyber,
I would like to thank you very much too.
We will have a chance to play with rift out of the box.
However, I wonder what does it mean "poor" in readme.
Especially I'm interrested in UT3 as this is the game which should be able to provide stable 60 FPS on older machines even when taking into consideration additonal gpu load generated by the driver.
So, I thought it is the best title for ones who ordered more than one rift.
Cheap game, don't need to have newest keplers to run it and a very nice multiplayer experience - must have.
This title would give a possibility to play some multiplayer on older hardware. Otherwise, there will be a need to pump up more pcs. And this could be huge cost hard to take just to play multiplayer. :)
In fact we were more than happy when thinking about shooting each other in the office during a brake.
Can you explain what does it mean poor? Do we have a chance to have it improved in the future?
It's a pitty I will be able to test it only tomorrow. I keen to see performance.and how.it.looks like. :)
Anyway - Cyber awesome work and big, big thanks to you.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

I'm not off to a good start so far. I ran the perception.exe but it crashed before it showed any window. So I tried Run as Administrator, and it just froze that explorer window and showed the loading cursor.

It might just be my computer, it does strange things like that sometimes. Or it might be a bug.

I'll see if I can work out what's causing the problem and submit a code patch.

EDIT: It's working now that I restarted my computer. It must just have been my computer. Although I have to run it as administrator to get the Vireio Perception logo to show up.
Last edited by 2EyeGuy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
fraherd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fraherd »

Firstly thanks for all your hard work Cyber.

The .exe works fine for me however when I run skyrim the game just loads up normal.... do i need to press a hot key to turn the 3d on for my DIY rift? Sorry I'm sure this is a stupid question I must have missed a step.
3D Visualisation Artist
http://www.FraherDesign3D.com.au
bobjwatts
Cross Eyed!

Post by bobjwatts »

bobjwatts wrote:All up and running! Worked first go with Dear Esther.

Is the Rift SBS setup for the 7" screen? Is there a way to adjust the separation so it can work with different size screens?
Well, I found the hot keys, doh. And It's awesome, 7" screen is rocking, I have just been testing Dear Esther, it. is. awesome.

Thanks Cyber!
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

It's working well now. I had a go at Portal 2 with anaglyph. Very impressive.

Warning: Don't use Alt+Tab. You won't be able to Alt+Tab back again.
Mel

Post by Mel »

0 for 2 for me so far.
Dear Esther starts OK in Rift mode, but the SBS images have no warping at the top, and the bottom of the screen does this weird cascading waterfall of color thing.
LFD2 starts up to a permanently black screen with audio. Tried starting from game directory, as instructed -- same thing. Haven't tried the patch yet as I don't know where to get it from.
Will report back with fixes...when they come.
laast
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by laast »

fraherd wrote:Firstly thanks for all your hard work Cyber.

The .exe works fine for me however when I run skyrim the game just loads up normal.... do i need to press a hot key to turn the 3d on for my DIY rift? Sorry I'm sure this is a stupid question I must have missed a step.
So how is Skyrim using your rift and Vireio? :shock:
If it does not work, maybe you need to put the D3D9.dll in the game folder.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

fraherd wrote:Firstly thanks for all your hard work Cyber.

It's automatic. You need to have Vireio Perception running, and have a 3D method chosen in the drop-down box, when you start the game and while you play it.

I think Vireio Perception needs to be run as administrator. Right click the icon and choose run as administrator. When I don't do that, it doesn't display the Vireio Perception logo at the top of the Vireio Perception window.

For best results in Skyrim you need to edit your config files:
README.txt wrote: Skyrim: Disable shadows by finding "SkyrimPrefs.ini" in "My Documents\My Games\Skyrim" and setting the following: "fShadowDistance=0.0000 fInteriorShadowDistance=0.0000 fShadowLODStartFade=0.0000". Open the developers console and use "FOV 110".
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

bobjwatts wrote:
bobjwatts wrote:All up and running! Worked first go with Dear Esther.

Well, I found the hot keys, doh. And It's awesome, 7" screen is rocking, I have just been testing Dear Esther, it. is. awesome.

Thanks Cyber!
Hmm... that gives me an idea...

*Tries the same trick with 15" laptop screen*

That actually worked. Well done Cybereality! I used F4 and F5 to adjust the convergence until the separation between far away objects matched my IPD, then I used F2 and F3 to adjust the amount of 3D. (And Shift+F6 resets it if you mess things up).

Except Aperture Science apparently uses 3D monitors, and they use the same convergence settings as my screen, so Wheatley's monitors look weird when I do that.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Mel wrote:0 for 2 for me so far.
Dear Esther starts OK in Rift mode, but the SBS images have no warping at the top, and the bottom of the screen does this weird cascading waterfall of color thing.
LFD2 starts up to a permanently black screen with audio. Tried starting from game directory, as instructed -- same thing. Haven't tried the patch yet as I don't know where to get it from.
The Valve video at the start doesn't play in Portal 2, so it looks like a black screen, but it works once that video finishes. And don't alt-tab away and then back or you get a permanently black screen.
alekki
Cross Eyed!

Post by alekki »

Awesome! Your hard work is very much appriciated! Now where can you donate?

Someone still needs to get it to support the Rift tracker, right?
laast
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by laast »

2EyeGuy wrote:
For best results in Skyrim you need to edit your config files:
README.txt wrote: Skyrim: Disable shadows by finding "SkyrimPrefs.ini" in "My Documents\My Games\Skyrim" and setting the following: "fShadowDistance=0.0000 fInteriorShadowDistance=0.0000 fShadowLODStartFade=0.0000". Open the developers console and use "FOV 110".
You can also try to set "bDeferredShadows" to 0 to fix shadows without having to entirely disable it. Works great with 3Dvision kit at least.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

alekki wrote:Awesome! Your hard work is very much appriciated! Now where can you donate?

Someone still needs to get it to support the Rift tracker, right?
It already supports the tracker in the original Rift prototype (but maybe not the 250Hz version?), but since they changed to their custom Adjacent Reality Tracker they haven't released the SDK or information needed to work with it. We can't add support until they release it.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

Issues for me on Windows 8 64 bit, if I run Perception.exe as an Administrator the window never shows up. Event Viewer shows this for the crash info:
Faulting application name: Perception.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x510571e1
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x00005e61
Faulting process id: 0xa08
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdfe379720b0ed
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Vireio\Perception\bin\Perception.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Vireio\Perception\bin\Perception.exe
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

cybereality, where do you prefer to keep track of defects / issues?
In this thread? In a separate topic? Or in GitHub issue-tracking?

If you are not planning to actively maintain the code, I understand you would prefer the forums. But keeping it close to the code is also useful. Not all people using the drivers will be using these forums. It's possible to add collaborators in GitHub giving them access to the repository. If you have volunteers who like to maintain the code (or merge pull-requests) you could add them to the project.
zeroxygen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zeroxygen »

@cyber Great news! Thanks!
Mel

Post by Mel »

2EyeGuy wrote:
Mel wrote:0 for 2 for me so far.
The Valve video at the start doesn't play in Portal 2, so it looks like a black screen, but it works once that video finishes. And don't alt-tab away and then back or you get a permanently black screen.
Thanks. The secret for L4D2 was to start up from game folder, then hit the spacebar once you hear the video playing.

Great work, Cyber! Many thanks.
So...where's the DONATE button?
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Just some Questions...

So who else here is going to help work on this driver? Can we get a list of names?
How should we organize this section of the forum as a newer version is released?
Should everyone focus on the more popular games on the list and work our way down?
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

I have tried to load Perception unders administrator as well and received this windows error message.
any ideas?

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Perception.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 510571e1
Fault Module Name: Perception.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 510571e1
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00005e61
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

sweet! got it going. cyber, you are the man.

notes: had to copy all .dll from the /bin file to the folder where the skyrim executable was, and run both vireio and skyrim as an admin (on windows 7 64 bit with nvidia).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zino
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zino »

squibbfire wrote:I have tried to load Perception unders administrator as well and received this windows error message.
any ideas?

Exception Offset: 00005e61
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
So, latest version of Windows 7. Pretty much the same I just tested on without problems. There are no PDBs included in the current release, so that is perhaps something to add for the next one. I haven't had to debug Windows programs in many years, but if I'm reading that and the decompilation correctly 0x405e61 is main.cpp:frame_window line 219-ish, ie SelectObject(paint_dc, This->logo_bitmap);

The best you can do is to get a compiler/debugger up and running so you can singlestep it yourself and print out the variables. That or wait for someone to get minidump support in so you can send something a bit more debuggable.

edit: Did an off-by-one error when reading the disassembly. Ignore anything I said about "bitmap".
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@bobjwatts: The F2-F3 keys adjust separation. And the F4-F5 keys adjust convergence (basically the overlap of the images). If you have a larger screen you probably want to mess with the convergence to get a comfortable picture.

@moomin: UT3 has a pretty bad bug where the screen freezes for a second or two when full-screen shaders are used (for example if you get hit with certain guns). I did try for a bit to fix it, but I couldn't get it working. I left it in there cause I thought some people may want to try it, but its not really a great experience (hence why its listed as poor).

@2EyeGuy: I didn't have any problems with the exe on my 3 computers, but I did know there were some issues if you weren't an administrator. Hopefully its just a random bug and not something too serious. And yes, I forgot to mention that ALT-TAB will crash the game.

@fraherd: For Skyrim, try launching the "SkyrimLauncher.exe" from the game's directory. That should work.

@Mel: I have seen those problems. I think it was related to a recent Steam update, since everything was working fine for a while up until the update maybe a week ago. You might want to try running the games as administrator, maybe that will help. You can also try creating a desktop link and seeing it that makes a difference. Also, with L4D you may see black screens on the loading, but just click the space bar or wait and it should load.

@mscoder610: I have only tested on Windows 7 64-bit. Its possible that the app does not work on Windows 8, or maybe some other problem, I'm not sure. Can you also list you system specs, GPU, etc.? Thanks.

@mahler: I'd like the discussion to stay on MTBS. If you find a bug, just make a thread for it and we can track it here. At least for now that is the best thing.

@squibbfire: Can you list you system spec and OS, etc.? Thanks.
fraherd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fraherd »

cybereality wrote:@fraherd: For Skyrim, try launching the "SkyrimLauncher.exe" from the game's directory. That should work.
Hmm, tried that, still the same. I'm downloading 'Dear Esther' now so I"ll see how that goes. :o
3D Visualisation Artist
fraherd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fraherd »

jayoh wrote:notes: had to copy all .dll from the /bin file to the folder where the skyrim executable was, and run both vireio and skyrim as an admin (on windows 7 64 bit with nvidia).
Thats what it was.... I had to run the SkyrimLauncher.exe as admin. Thanks for the pointers!
3D Visualisation Artist
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Unfortunately I can not get this application to run! When I launch it, it crashes right away and I don't see a window or anything. I'm wondering if this version is not compatible with Windows 8.

My specs;
Windows 8 64bit
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560

I've tried running changing compatibility settings to run as administrator and also tried to put it in windows 7 compatible mode, and win XP SP3 compatible mode, all with no luck! The program will not launch.

Has anyone got this to work on Win 8 yet? If so anything you can share that might help me out?

Thanks!
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

With mirror's edge the distortion + side by side works but I have a black screen on the actual world. Hud appears but nothing else.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”