Introducing Vireio Perception (3D Driver for Oculus Rift)

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
TheRoggan
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Introducing Vireio Perception (3D Driver for Oculus Rift

Post by TheRoggan »

cybereality wrote: Games currently with full or partial support:
- Left 4 Dead
- Half-Life 2
- Portal 2
- Skyrim
- Mirror's Edge
- AaaaAAAAA!!!!!!!!
- Unreal Tournament 3
- Dear Esther
- DiRT 2
That is a good list, especially Skyrim is simply stunning in 3D. The most immersive gaming experience iv'e ever had! The Rift will take it to the next level!

I would love to have these added:
1. rFactor 2 (best car/racing simulation on PC, it is already 3D Vision Ready so should be easy!?)
2. Arma II / Day Z (best military simulation and Zombie survivor sim, stunning visuals and already amazing in 3D)

cybereality wrote: Just to be clear: this is a commercial product. I am still investigating pricing options, but for sure it will be under $50.
I think a commercial model is the best to ensure the optimal long term motivation for good and continuous support and improvements. The 3D experience with the Rift with good 3D driver and multiple game support will be worth every cent!!
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I'm curious about the level of support you have achieved for Dear Esther. A while back we discussed an issue that DDD and your driver was having with stereoscopic views. Has that been resolved? Also, since this a Source game, do you have head-roll in this one?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Dear Esther support is pretty much fully working as far as I can tell (as are most Source titles). The stereo looks good except for some minor things (like the skybox, which is wrong with other drivers anyway). Aspect ratio and roll seem to be working. What specific problem was there with DDD? I don't think I've ever tried that.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

In DDD, the stereo view is fine until I look down and then it shears into multiple planes. Don't know how to describe it - but it's broke. Glad to hear that Esther is fully working. A nice showcase for non-gamers.
space123321
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by space123321 »

Weird - I have played Dear Esther with my DIY Rift and DDD with no issues? Just tried it again to be sure - all is A-OK?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Just double-checked, no problems with Dear Esther.
DearEsther2.jpg
Also worked a bit more on Mirror's Edge. Got the aspect ratio fixed and also added head-tracking. A few problems remain. Mostly that using Hillcrest tracker seems to make the game super slow and laggy (like 5 second delay when moving the tracker). Totally unusable. However it is technically functioning, so it should be easy to swap out for a better tracker and have it working. Secondly, I need to find a way to increase the FOV. Because of the way DirectX calculates the FOV, by reducing the aspect ratio, it also reduces the horizontal FOV (which is not what you want). With Source engine games its been pretty easy to change the FOV with console commands, but it doesn't seem like you can do this with Mirror's Edge. I did find a trainer on the WSGF but it didn't work for me (maybe it doesn't play nice with my driver). I mean, the game is still playable right now, just not as nice of support as the Source games.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

5 second delay! That's crazy. The Hillcrest has very little latency. Any idea why you're seeing that behavior?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

brantlew wrote:5 second delay! That's crazy. The Hillcrest has very little latency. Any idea why you're seeing that behavior?
Honestly, I'm not sure. Its using all the same code that seems to work fine on other games. Will have to revisit this once I fix a few other things.
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

jf031 wrote:But, as you are aware, the Dead Space series is in third person. 3rd person cameras swing around a very large radius (sorry if this is the incorrect term) that wouldn't at all be suited for an HMD-only setup.
The solution here would be to control the camera location using the controls as with regular screen-sitting-on-your-desk gaming, but control camera orientation on top of that using the head tracker. Think of it as using the mouse/right-stick to move an invisible floating camera. On a desktop screen, you look at the image the camera is capturing. With the RIFT, you're a tiny virtual person sitting on top of this camera and looking around.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Just a layman guess here, but maybe it's causing so much lag because the sensor is overloading the driver, and it can't read it quickly enough?

In that case, the new tracker would be even worse.
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

Awesome work Cyber! Great to see the Rift inspired you to make the VR driver you always talked about making one day! :)
Support for Unigine Heaven Benchmark would be cool as you can change it from camera fly through mode and just walk around the cool steampunk environment of floating islands joined by rope bridges, it would be a great non game VR demo for the Rift, I quite often use it to demo my Nvidia 3D Surround setup to people who don't play games ;)
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

EdZ wrote:
jf031 wrote:But, as you are aware, the Dead Space series is in third person. 3rd person cameras swing around a very large radius (sorry if this is the incorrect term) that wouldn't at all be suited for an HMD-only setup.
The solution here would be to control the camera location using the controls as with regular screen-sitting-on-your-desk gaming, but control camera orientation on top of that using the head tracker. Think of it as using the mouse/right-stick to move an invisible floating camera. On a desktop screen, you look at the image the camera is capturing. With the RIFT, you're a tiny virtual person sitting on top of this camera and looking around.
I agree.
I believe too many people assume controlling the camera in 3rd person view is similar to controlling the camera in 1st person view, when it just isn't.
In 1st person view, the camera is fixed, you control where you point the camera at. Head tracking is very similar to how people are used to control the camera, and you could replace mouse/joystick aiming with head tracking.
In 3rd person view, it's the opposite, the camera always point at the same thing (usually a virtual point above your character's head or shoulder), you control where the camera is located. Head tracking here cannot be used to replace the traditional camera controls : head tracking adds more freedom to camera movement.

In my opinion there is no problem with playing 3rd person games with head tracking, provided you don't do the mistake of using head tracking to emulate the mouse/joystick camera control these games would really benefit from detaching the camera aiming from the game's aiming : I think that with proper support, these games would be just as immersive or more immersive than 1st person games.
In fact even with mouse control I usually find 3rd person games more immersive than first person games due the player usually having more advanced animation and interactions with the world than 1st person camera without a body, (or completely out of screen body in the rare few FPS that provide a body for the player).
Using real games as examples : I found 3rd person games like Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider games more immersive than Mirror's Edge. (even though I really liked Mirror's Edge)
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

Hi CyberReality,

Firstly great work - I can wait for my dev kit and to but your drivers. Ive seen a few things lately about the Hillcrest tracker. As far as I heard the Oculus Rift is now using the Adjacent Reality 9DOF tracker rather than the Hillcrest. Will this cause any issues?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@baggyg: I'm using the Hillcrest right now mainly for testing. I hope to have support for the final Rift tracker at launch (or shortly afterwards).
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

cybereality wrote:
cybereality wrote: Also worked a bit more on Mirror's Edge. Got the aspect ratio fixed and also added head-tracking. A few problems remain. Mostly that using Hillcrest tracker seems to make the game super slow and laggy (like 5 second delay when moving the tracker). Totally unusable. However it is technically functioning, so it should be easy to swap out for a better tracker and have it working. Secondly, I need to find a way to increase the FOV. Because of the way DirectX calculates the FOV, by reducing the aspect ratio, it also reduces the horizontal FOV (which is not what you want). With Source engine games its been pretty easy to change the FOV with console commands, but it doesn't seem like you can do this with Mirror's Edge. I did find a trainer on the WSGF but it didn't work for me (maybe it doesn't play nice with my driver). I mean, the game is still playable right now, just not as nice of support as the Source games.
All non-online unreal games should have an ----engine.ini or something similiar. Look for FOVAngle .You probably tried it but figured it was worth a shot.
A game Id recommend looking at as far as great 3D experiences is Legend of Grimrock. Its not popular and I honestly found gameplay wasnt for me(its before my time style rpg). But its very beautiful and is definetly a showcase 3D title. Immersion offered by the occulus Id imagine to be quite high. It may be difficult though since Shadows cant be turned off in option and 3D vision as an example renders them 2D.
Of course the most obvious title that everyone seems to be forgetting is Bioshock 1/2 :P (Dont worry about DX10... It offers barely anything)

Its awesome about your S3D Driver. I was always optimistic about the rift because I knew it needed an engine because relying on just developers is a bad idea. Anywho amazing job, I will definetly pick up a unit now.
Out of curiousity though, what do you need to look for as far as a title that will work well on the rift. I know people are already listing games they want to play on the rift but I imagine it needs a few things. Like FOV and I guess 800x600 resolution. I havent really thought about it till now tbh.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@eqzitara1: I did try a bit to get Bioshock working, but in the end I wasn't able to get it looking good. Its still on my list though, so I may revisit it.

In terms of the type of games that would work well on the Rift, I think obviously first-person games will have benefit. Especially games with minimal HUD elements (Mirror's Edge is great in this respect). Games with simple controls, or that work with game pads are nice too (for people building stand-up setups). And games that allow you to change the FOV also will look better. I did try to alter the FOV with the driver, and it did sort of work, but it had too many problems with objects disappearing so I had to take it out.
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

Thank you, that does clear up alot. I wasnt sure but I thought so as well but have not been involved in HMD scene. Many people in other threads are listing games which are very "odd". You probably already thought of it but I imagine games that work well with headtracking solutions like trackir are probably a good idea.

Also this suggestion that is definetly ODD. Games with FPS mods. I actually dont think anyone ever tried this in 3D, I am gonna check it out soon. If your interested, ill probably make a video. The resident evil series stopped being horror after 3. People never accepted that and bash it because its no longer its horror roots. But how amazing would it be if you played it as a fps shooter in 3d on an HMD?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHTKWAdFUZg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REnsuS9EGDk
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Here is an update on Mirror's Edge using the Racer_S FOV mod:

Cross-eye photo:
MirrorsEdge3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

I finally mastered cross-eyed free-viewing! Thanks to cybereality's image he just posted. It's the first time I got it to work! It was a bit weird at first, it kept going in and out of focus, but I finally got it. Cross-eyed viewing is a bit strange with the huge amount of pop-out, but it's good. Now I can do both parallel and cross-eyed 3D viewing without glasses, although I still need to hold up a finger at the start for cross-eyed and it takes a few seconds. I can do parallel effortlessly. Sorry for going off-topic, but I had to share my excitement after viewing that screenshot.

Anyway, your driver is looking really great. But why are there black bars at the top and bottom?
Yoder808
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Yoder808 »

eqzitara1 wrote:Thank you, that does clear up alot. I wasnt sure but I thought so as well but have not been involved in HMD scene. Many people in other threads are listing games which are very "odd". You probably already thought of it but I imagine games that work well with headtracking solutions like trackir are probably a good idea.

Also this suggestion that is definetly ODD. Games with FPS mods. I actually dont think anyone ever tried this in 3D, I am gonna check it out soon. If your interested, ill probably make a video. The resident evil series stopped being horror after 3. People never accepted that and bash it because its no longer its horror roots. But how amazing would it be if you played it as a fps shooter in 3d on an HMD?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHTKWAdFUZg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REnsuS9EGDk
I actually got my DIY Rift finished this weekend, and have been playing GTA IV, with ENB Mod (IceNhancer), real cars, high-res textures, and first person mods, and it's AMAZING. It's great, because if you want to demo your HMD, it's easy to just walk around and see the sights. I'll post a FRAPS video when I get a chance. You can even correct the aspect ration in the graphics menu (mines set at 5:4, seems to look the best).
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Yoder808 , that sounds great. What about the distortion and headtracking?
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@2EyeGuy: Yeah, it took me a little while to get used to cross-eye. For the longest I could *only* do cross-eye, now I can do parallel also. Just takes practice.

The black-bar letter-boxing is part of the game when using the FOV mod (not my driver). I just extend whatever is on the edge of the screen, in this case black. I may be able to fix that, but its probably is not that big a deal on the Rift's massive vertical FOV.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Yoder808 wrote:
I actually got my DIY Rift finished this weekend, and have been playing GTA IV, with ENB Mod (IceNhancer), real cars, high-res textures, and first person mods, and it's AMAZING. It's great, because if you want to demo your HMD, it's easy to just walk around and see the sights. I'll post a FRAPS video when I get a chance. You can even correct the aspect ration in the graphics menu (mines set at 5:4, seems to look the best).
That's awesome, Yoder808! Can you please post any and all pertinent info about how you have GTA IV set up? Are you using DDD, and what rez do you have the game running at? I have never noticed the aforementioned aspect ratio adjustment in any menus...I'll have to investigate.

Very exciting. :)
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

cybereality wrote:@2EyeGuy: Yeah, it took me a little while to get used to cross-eye. For the longest I could *only* do cross-eye, now I can do parallel also. Just takes practice.
I can drop into cross-eyed at the drop of a hat, but havin real problems with freehand parallel. I've managed to get into it by going really close to the screen, and trying to ease out, but it's hard to find focus.
bjoernchristian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bjoernchristian »

What graphics Chips work best with your current driver, AMD or Nvidia ? Or are they equal ?

I am waiting for my rift and think about upgrading ;)
If your driver is ready in december I buy it without hesitation.
Yoder808
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Yoder808 »

Mel wrote:
Yoder808 wrote:
That's awesome, Yoder808! Can you please post any and all pertinent info about how you have GTA IV set up? Are you using DDD, and what rez do you have the game running at? I have never noticed the aforementioned aspect ratio adjustment in any menus...I'll have to investigate.

Very exciting. :)
I'm using the Tridef driver in SBS parallel mode (there's no warp correction, but I don't notice that much). For headtracking, I'm using mouse-emulation with GlovePie, driven by a Wii with MotionPlus. I'm running the game at 1280x720 (my VGA/HDMI board doesn't report 1200x800 :cry: ) I can't remember what verison of GTA IV I'm running, I THINK 1.0.4.0 - Rockstar changed the available graphics options going from 1.0.4.0->1.0.7.0.

Here's the link for the first person mod. I'll try to record a FRAPS video soon.

Here is a link to someone else's first person video (not stereo though) with basically the same setup as me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mmz2Oxmgn8[/youtube]

Modding GTA can be a real pain. There's no mod manager (such as NexusMM for Skyrim), and one rogue mod can break the whole thing. I keep a backup folder of vanilla 1.0.4.0 just in case.

Cyber, any chance of adding support for GTAIV? :D Also, are you taking preorders for your driver?
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

Yoder808 wrote: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mmz2Oxmgn8[/youtube]
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but that video looks horrible. For one thing, if there is that significant an overuse and lack of differentiation in the black areas of the scene (from the settings that guy is using; I've used IceNhancer before and came up with some proper settings, but my computer is already struggling due to being dual core), what's the point? The original game looks better than that.

edited to add: hopefully that "black crush" is mostly due to using an improper codec with less-than-ideal settings, is what I'm saying. It can be fixed in the IceNhancer settings, anyway, but, how blind is the guy who uploaded the video if that is what it actually looks like?
marbas

Post by marbas »

Codec quality aside, that gta4 mod is awesome. I would love to get this going on my rift devkit :P
Mel

Post by Mel »

Yoder808 wrote: I'm using the Tridef driver in SBS parallel mode (there's no warp correction, but I don't notice that much). For headtracking, I'm using mouse-emulation with GlovePie, driven by a Wii with MotionPlus. I'm running the game at 1280x720 (my VGA/HDMI board doesn't report 1200x800 :cry: ) I can't remember what verison of GTA IV I'm running, I THINK 1.0.4.0 - Rockstar changed the available graphics options going from 1.0.4.0->1.0.7.0.

Here's the link for the first person mod. I'll try to record a FRAPS video soon.

Here is a link to someone else's first person video (not stereo though) with basically the same setup as me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mmz2Oxmgn8[/youtube]

Modding GTA can be a real pain. There's no mod manager (such as NexusMM for Skyrim), and one rogue mod can break the whole thing. I keep a backup folder of vanilla 1.0.4.0 just in case.

Cyber, any chance of adding support for GTAIV? :D Also, are you taking preorders for your driver?

Great, thanks. Looking forward to trying this out once I get my HMD built.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

It must be, and I must have a "black crush".

I love those deep blacks in the clip, I think it will help the game look & feel more real, when used with a RIFT than a mushy washed out grey/black.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@bjoernchristian: To be honest, I have only been testing with Nvidia so far. However there is nothing tying the app to any one brand. It should work fine with AMD also (I will test more before launch of course).

@Yoder808: I am not taking pre-orders, but you will know when it is available. Its pretty close to being ready, I just need to finish the auto-updating system, that way people will be able to always have the latest version (as I make updates). Then I won't mind releasing with a few things missing, if its going to be easy for people to get the updates.
tripletrouble11
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tripletrouble11 »

Hi Cyber Im really looking forward to buying your driver when I get my Oculus Rift dev kit Im just curious to know how well does Half-Life 2 perform with your driver? I know its an old game but can you give me an idea of how good it performs does it have any minor issues? Thanks
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Half-life 2 is well supported. I have not noticed any major problems.
torc
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by torc »

Hi, i wonder if this software can be used for FS2Open engine: in my opinion freespace 2 is one of the best space''sim'' ever and there is a great evelopers community that works improving the engine and did a lot of good mods.

I am a developer of FS2 mod inspired by Battlestar galactica called ''Diaspora''...and would be great using the oculus into this game.

Thanks in advance for the support :)
stinkvis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stinkvis »

Since FS2 is open source there's no need to use an injection driver to add rift capability to the game, it can be directly added to the game's rendering code. I was actually thinking of doing this myself if no one else does, as freespace 2 is one of my favorite games of all time :)
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

Hate to be that guy, but there's a few great first person games that could use a bit more love, especially on the Rift. I've actually sent an email to Ice-Pick lodge, a great Russian studio hoping they'd support their amazing and strange titles The Void and Pathologic. Also Psychonauts, through 3rd person, would be incredible with the added immersion. And the other bizzare indie First Person game Zeno Clash could be fantastic with support.

Also more thanks for working on this, the more unique environments we can show people as soon as possible, the more people will begin to see the absurd potential of VR gaming!
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

heyho!
I know I already asked you if you will support Killing Floor, in the other Thread.
Lately I just wanted to make clear that I would sign the Petition for Arma II / DayZ support as well (even more important that KF ;))
(I'm watching the the Walking Dead Series right know so that theme really gets me :D )

How will you sell the software? With a serial system? (so the user has to have internet on the PC he want to install it?)
Will there be a free version (like test it for 30min and buy it if you like it?)

Oh and, will I be able to write a config for my favorite game myself?
(Which includes the question: can I try to run officially unsupported source Games/mods with the HL2 config for example or do I have to wait for you to support it?)
Something like that thing for the Wiimote would be cool, where everyone can write his own code for any game and share it with other users. But I guess thats to far, since this is a commercial product? (but since you don't want an pay per game way, it could be an option couldn't it?)

thats all for know, thank you.
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@unsilentwill: Zeno Clash is a Source game, so it may be easy to get working with minor tweaking (maybe it already works). Will have to check this out.

@Dakor: Right now I am probably not adding any more games for the December launch, but I can look into that afterwards. I don't really like DRM, so I don't think I will be putting any on my software. I will be using a 3rd party site for e-commerce, so if you buy it you will get a special link to download the software (the link expires after a certain amount of time, or after a certain amount of downloads). I don't think I will be able to make free version, but I will put a number of pictures and videos on the site so people know what they are buying. The game configs are editable with XML, so you could technically try to add a profile for a game. The thing is it probably won't work without special support coded for the specific game.
polipluff
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by polipluff »

How does mirrors edge and skyrim look?

What are the limitations to your product in comparison to those a games intended to be made with oculus support?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@polipluff: Mirrors Edge looks pretty good. The only problem is I couldn't get convergence working, but otherwise its fine. Skyrim is mostly working except for the shadows (you have to turn them off). Both games need some work for the headtracking, but I should have that finished soon.

No question a game specially made for the Rift will look and play better than what I am doing here. One problem is how I am rendering stereo which creates a 1 frame delay between the left and right image. You also need to turn vertical-sync off, so you may get some tearing as well. The head-tracking roll causes a strange distortion. Pitch and yaw are using mouse emulation, so will have additional lag than if it were directly controlled in the engine. Though even with all this, its still a playable experience and hopefully I can fix these things over time.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”