New to Perception, question about stereoscopic 3D

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Hiradur
One Eyed Hopeful

New to Perception, question about stereoscopic 3D

Post by Hiradur »

Hey,
I use a DIY Rift and want to get a stereoscopic 3D image. It's working well with the games with exisiting profiles. I use side-by-side 3D for now. But there is something that I didn't find a clear answer to yet. I want to use Perception with games not in the profiler like Unreal Tournament 99 and GTR 2. I get 2 images side by side but they are identical so there is no 3D effect. When playing with settings in BRASSA menu nothing happens. Is it correct that I need a VRBoost profile to receive stereoscopic output?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: New to Perception, question about stereoscopic 3D

Post by cybereality »

Only DirectX9 is supported. So older games (like UT99) probably won't work.
Hiradur
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hiradur »

There is a DX9 patch for UT99 out there. GTR2 has native DX9 support.

My question still hasn't been answered. Do I need to have a VRBoost profile for real 3D stereoscopy or do I have to do something else in games not listed in the Perception Profiler?

EDIT: Do I need shader profiles for real 3D instead of VRBoost profiles as I thought before? If I use rFactor's shader profile GTR 2 works.

EDIT2: I didn't know that the release version comes with documentation since I was using a nightly build. That clears everything up, sorry for my question. Maybe you should leave a note for newcomers just like me who start right away with a nightly build instead of a release version where the documentation can be found.
DrBeef
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by DrBeef »

Sorry, I intended to answer a while back, but failed. Glad you figured it out.

Just for supplemental info: VRBoost is direct memory modifier used to control orientation tracking rather than using mouse emulation. It means it is lower latency and works a lot better as you don't end up looking at your feet when your head is still pointed straight ahead. As you now know, it has nothing to do with the stereo separation, that is handled by the shader profile, which tells Vireio the projection matrices it needs to modify for each eye to get proper stereo rendering.
Cercata
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cercata »

Hiradur wrote:EDIT2: I didn't know that the release version comes with documentation since I was using a nightly build. That clears everything up, sorry for my question. Maybe you should leave a note for newcomers just like me who start right away with a nightly build instead of a release version where the documentation can be found.
Hey, nice to know that !!! Full Doc !!!! :woot

Return to “Development / General Discussion”