Is it possible to use VIREIO with any directx9 game?

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
motherbrain
One Eyed Hopeful

Is it possible to use VIREIO with any directx9 game?

Post by motherbrain »

Hi! I've been using VIREIO with Skyrim and I LOVE it.

Now, I'd really like to dive into Final Fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn. Which still uses Directx 9.0c.

Is it possible to use VIREIO to see this game through my Oculus DK2? Man running this pretty MMO in VR would be wonderful ...

Thanks for the infos!
DrBeef
Vireio Perception Developer

Re: Is it possible to use VIREIO with any directx9 game?

Post by DrBeef »

Give it a go, see if it works, you'll need to create an entry for it in profiles.xml, and set the game_type to be correct, rather depends on the engine:

Code: Select all

SOURCE = 100,              /**< Source is a 3D video game engine developed by Valve Corporation. */
		SOURCE_L4D = 101,          /**<  !! */
		SOURCE_ESTER = 102,          /**<  !! */
		UNREAL = 200,              /**< The Unreal Engine is a game engine developed by Epic Games, first illustrated in the 1998 first-person shooter game Unreal. */
		UNREAL_MIRROR = 201,       /**<  !! */
		UNREAL_UT3 = 202,          /**<  !! */
		UNREAL_BIOSHOCK = 203,     /**<  !! */
		UNREAL_BORDERLANDS = 204,  /**< Borderlands(TM) */
		EGO = 300,                 /**< Ego Game Technology Engine (more commonly referred to as Ego Engine or EGO, stylised ego) is a video game engine developed by Codemasters. */
		EGO_DIRT = 301,            /**<  !! */
		REALV = 400,               /**< Real Virtuality is a proprietary computer game engine developed by Bohemia Interactive (BI), originally called Poseidon. */
		REALV_ARMA = 401,          /**<  !! */
		UNITY = 500,               /**< Unity is a cross-platform game engine with a built-in IDE developed by Unity Technologies. */
		UNITY_SLENDER = 501,       /**<  !! */
		GAMEBRYO = 600,            /**< Gamebryo 3D and LightSpeed engines are owned by Gamebase Co., Ltd. and Gamebase USA and have been used by several video game developers. */
		GAMEBRYO_SKYRIM = 601,     /**< Skyrim’s Creation Engine still has at least some Gamebryo in it. */
		LFS = 700,                 /**< Live for Speed (LFS) is a racing simulator developed by a three person team comprising Scawen Roberts, Eric Bailey, and Victor van Vlaardingen. */
		CDC = 800,                 /**< Proprietary game engine developed by Crystal Dynamics. */
There's a good chance it won't work without some tweaking required in the code, but it's worth a try, you have to start somewhere..
Cercata
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cercata »

I just tested it with Test Drive Unlimited 2, and it seems to be working ... yeah, it's worth trying !!!!!
peteo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by peteo »

How about a directX 11 game? Frostbite engine game?
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Only DirectX 9 I'm afraid.

If you want DX11 then VorpX might work for you.
DevilMaster
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DevilMaster »

DrBeef wrote:Give it a go, see if it works, you'll need to create an entry for it in profiles.xml, and set the game_type to be correct, rather depends on the engine:
Do these drivers work with the listed engines only?
In particular, I'm a big fan of the Irrlicht engine, which is not listed. Does this mean that the Vireio drivers won't work with any software that uses the Irrlicht engine as a renderer?
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Theoretically they should work with any engine that is based on DX9, since that is what they hook into. Internally there are some tweaks and adjustments on a per engine/game basis, however that doesn't prevent them working with other engines, it just means there is a chance you might get some rendering anomolies. If you do get them, then you can simply try to see if any other game type from the list resolves it.

There's only really one way to find out...

Return to “Development / General Discussion”