Oculus Rift in Wired Magazine.

budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Oculus Rift in Wired Magazine.

Post by budda »

Hi,

It seems every magazine is covering the Oculus Rift this month - I counted three so far. Time magazine must not be far off ....

Heres the recent edition of Wired with Palmer Luckey on the cover looking like he lost his favourite pair of thongs.

http://www.wired.com/2014/05/oculus-rift-4/

Thanks.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Oculus Rift in Wired Magazine.

Post by V8Griff »

Mostly good article but lets hope that some magazines actually do some research and realise that VR didn't start just over 2 years ago and that this isn't the first time there has been no nausea in VR.

I played a 1992 vintage restored Virtuality 1000CS unit several times a couple of weeks ago with all it's low resolution LCD screens, blocky graphics, narrow field of view and latency and suffered absolutely no nausea at all. Neither did any of the other non game playing people who had a go.

All down to well integrated full 6DOF tracking with rotational and positional tracking, including the weapon in your hand and the body that you could see if you looked down.

I think sometimes history has something to tell.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

are those web magazines very popular over there in US?
i always here the people cheering about them, though of course i have no clue what they are as a german.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

colocolo wrote:are those web magazines very popular over there in US?
i always here the people cheering about them, though of course i have no clue what they are as a german.
I think Wired is still a print magazine as well?

I'm sure I still see it on the magazine store shelves in the UK as well.
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

I think Wired is still a print magazine as well?
Wired is a long running newstand magazine.

What struck me about the printed article was the multipage spread showing the inside of the Crystal Cove prototype.

Don't get too excited .... but that is what I think I saw. :?

The magazine was fairly expensive, express delivered, so I was surprised to see most of it published online.
Endothermic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Endothermic »

V8Griff wrote: All down to well integrated full 6DOF tracking with rotational and positional tracking, including the weapon in your hand and the body that you could see if you looked down.
The narrow FOV probably played a role in it too.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Endothermic wrote:
V8Griff wrote: All down to well integrated full 6DOF tracking with rotational and positional tracking, including the weapon in your hand and the body that you could see if you looked down.
The narrow FOV probably played a role in it too.
Possibly but experience in the wider FOV (60degree H, 46.8 degree V) in the Visette II was also free from Nausea.

Return to “Oculus VR”