Tutorial: Integrating a Rift Mounted Leap Motion into Unity

zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Tutorial: Integrating a Rift Mounted Leap Motion into Unity

Post by zalo »

Hey MTBS, This is meant as a quick start guide for getting the new Skeletal SDK up and running for Rift Mounted Leap Controllers.
Hopefully this will enable developers to experiment with radical new modes of gestural input; I'm excited to see what everyone does with it!

After you (use tape or superglue to) affix your Leap sensor to the front and center of your headset, watch this video to see how to get the integration working:
[youtube-hd]http://youtube.com/watch?v=gMHtBae897I[/youtube-hd]

1. Get the Skeletal SDK: https://developer.leapmotion.com/downlo ... letal-beta

2. Download the Quickstart File: https://app.box.com/s/n6i7uhpn1uy83q0hg8u5

3. Import all of the file into your Oculus Project

4. Attach the HandController prefab in the Assets directory to the Right Camera in your Oculus Rift Camera.

6. You're done!
  • NOTE:
  • Make sure Optimize for Top Down Tracking and Auto Orient Tracking are ticked in your Leap Tracking Settings.
  • Tracking is also spotty if you're looking at your desk, so try looking (sideways or backwards) into open space and you will just much better tracking results.
Check out the other Leap examples included in the Quickstart file for ideas and code.
Last edited by zalo on Wed May 28, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Tutorial: Integrating a Rift Mounted Leap Motion into Un

Post by MSat »

Tracking looking pretty good. How much have you played with it?
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Tutorial: Integrating a Rift Mounted Leap Motion into Un

Post by zalo »

I've played with it a good amount; when you're positioned properly it works surprisingly well.

Like I mentioned in the post, you have to look away from your desk to get the really good tracking. Even with the "Optimize for Top-Down Tracking" checkbox enabled, it was nearly useless while looking facing my desk and monitor. Facing away into open space, reliability of gestures went from 50% to 90%. So it will be really useful for doing things like navigating menus or fine spacial interactions.

When it's on your table, you just have to make sure there's nothing in your environment (above your hands) so it can get a really good silhouette (the light it emits is really bright). My desk is under my bunk bed so sometimes the light from the leap will reflect off of my bedsprings and cause a little trouble (but putting a towel up there fixed the issue(interestingly, even black towels appear bright white under infrared)).

Another trick I recently learned is that you can detect when the thumb is touching the side of your hand, and have that activate an event on your index finger. So it lets you move around with precision and click items on the screen. This gesture is extremely reliable in both table and HMD modes :)

Return to “Oculus VR”