CV1 How Many Stones Away?

Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

CV1 How Many Stones Away?

Post by Dilip »

Now that Facebook has acquired the oculus. big rage storm has gone and all went to their respective businesses being tired from cursing evil corp.

Big question now is how far is consumer rift? given merit to DK2 and things like it would much be same as consumer rift the only plausible upgrade i see is it will be 2K. what more can come out as if they took much long in releasing rift again some one will enter the market to eat their share of pie.

Highest Probable CV1 feature what i guess will be...

2560X1440 OLED low persistence display.
+ DK2+ Hand recognition in VR

I think till end of year wait will help in getting supported game portfolio done. My Wish list is of course FULLY SUPPORTED VR SKYRIM, VR DEAD SPACE4,VR MASS EFFECT, VR DREGON AGE though i only see first one might happen likely.
Last edited by Dilip on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Re: CV1 How Many Stones Away?

Post by Dilip »

BTW just purchased MOTOROLA MOTO G and i could say its best phone 200USD can buy.Great Super Display with Iphone buster 329PPI,4.5 Inch great ergonomics, Meaty Quadcore Qualcomm A7 1.2GHz CPU, Nice GPU Adreno 305 @ 450Mhz, Great Battery Backup, Stock Kitkat OS, 16 GB Storage but you can attach OTG, Super hardware and exactly like they say "Exceptional Phone. Exceptional Price."

Those who ever wish to buy android, that does not drill their pockets yet give them ride of Galaxy go for it its way too great only flip side is average camera thats all.

This is how i like OCULUS RIFT CV1 to be a true "CHART BUSTER"
Endothermic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Endothermic »

2K wouldn't be an upgrade as DK2 is already 2K.

When talking 4K resolution the 4K refers to the horizontal resolution (it's 3840x2160 so it's almost 4000 pixels wide hence 4K).

So if you talk resolution in terms of "K" then 1080P which is 1920x1080 pixels is 2K as it is almost 2000 pixels wide.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

oh typo i meant 2560X1440
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

right after DK2 August.
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

So whats the horizontal FOV on it?

(I forgot my trig a long time ago...)
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Libertine wrote:So whats the horizontal FOV on it?
I think current is 100 Degree Horizontal ~ 110 Degree Diagonal.

May be less FOV will produce more tight packed image (improvement in screen-door) but will reduce immersion too.

so its likely to remain same.

Though like to know if going 100 Degree to 95 Degree could improve image quality i would support such transition in interest of better quality. Is my personal opinion.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

In much aspect DK2 is too good to be called DK, i would love to accept it as CV1, Sadly no AAA Titles to use it ATM Holding me to order it right now...

Still for those who can afford and are invested in development DK2 is real 'PIECE of WONDER'.
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

I'm not so sure 1440p is the greatest plan for CV1. My 780ti sli system can't always run games at 1440p at 60hz and remember that we are targeting atleast 90hz and possibly 120hz for VR. Also, sli adds latency so probably won't be feasible for VR either. Yes, some huge advantages can be gained by writing the games specifically for 120hz (scaling back polycount until you hit 120hz is possible on almost any hardware), however, just how far do we need to scale back graphics to hit 1440p x 120hz on midrange graphics hardware? It might be more realistic to target 1080p X 120hz for now on CV1, and hold off on 1440p for a bit longer. If best quality is your goal then damn the torpedoes and head for 1440; however, if market penetration is a serious concern (as it must be with Facebook involved) then bringing as much midrange hardware into the range of VR is a must. Anybody agree with me?
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

rowanunderwood wrote:I'm not so sure 1440p is the greatest plan for CV1. My 780ti sli system can't always run games at 1440p at 60hz and remember that we are targeting atleast 90hz and possibly 120hz for VR. Also, sli adds latency so probably won't be feasible for VR either. Yes, some huge advantages can be gained by writing the games specifically for 120hz (scaling back polycount until you hit 120hz is possible on almost any hardware), however, just how far do we need to scale back graphics to hit 1440p x 120hz on midrange graphics hardware? It might be more realistic to target 1080p X 120hz for now on CV1, and hold off on 1440p for a bit longer. If best quality is your goal then damn the torpedoes and head for 1440; however, if market penetration is a serious concern (as it must be with Facebook involved) then bringing as much midrange hardware into the range of VR is a must. Anybody agree with me?
Its how u see it. Tell me will it be bad to use 1080p output on 1440p display? 1080p playback will keep frame rate smooth while 1440p pixel of display will kill screen door. Why we need 1440p is for screen door mitigation while those who have system to play 1440p can enjoy playing what their system can offer. Any thoughts?
You can alternatively turn visual candy to low and enjoy good frame rate at 1440p to. All it need is intelligence in content tell me how ps3 is playing game like call of duty black ops
3trip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3trip »

Higher resolutions will depend on if occulus is interested in making a headset that will either keep pace with current graphics hardware & software, or outpace them. If the latter, then sacrifices will have to be made in the short term to keep the FPS at 90-120, most likely graphics quality will be reduced.

To put it simply do you prefer pixels, or polygons?

More importantly, what does occulus think? Paging Dr Palmer, Dr Palmer Lucky to the VR room please...

While we're waiting for a reply, I suspect pixels is the answer, as the hardware manufacturers can always innovate & catch up. Remember what Crysis did for PC specs? I think the rift could have a greater effect than that.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

3trip wrote:Higher resolutions will depend on if occulus is interested in making a headset that will either keep pace with current graphics hardware & software, or outpace them. If the latter, then sacrifices will have to be made in the short term to keep the FPS at 90-120, most likely graphics quality will be reduced.

To put it simply do you prefer pixels, or polygons?

More importantly, what does occulus think? Paging Dr Palmer, Dr Palmer Lecky to the VR room please...

While we're waiting for a reply, I suspect pixels is the answer, as the hardware manufacturers can always innovate & catch up. Remember what Crysis did for PC specs? I think the rift could have a greater effect than that.

Don't you think screendoor is more irritative then low visual effects. You can live without bloom,stencil shadows or HDR or SSAO but "looking through mosquito-net" effect removal will be huge STEP up in favor of immersion.
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

Dilip wrote:Don't you think screen door is more irritati
ve then low visual effects. You can live without bloom,stencil shadows or HDR or ssao but looking through moskito net effect removal will be huge STEP up in favor of immersion.
Personally, yea, I think screen door is more irritating than lowering visual effects; however, I also want the Rift to enjoy enough commercial success to stay in business. If they were to release 2 CV1s with 1080p and 1440p, I'd go for 1440 in a second. I like your idea with scaled resolutions for lower quality graphics hardware. Unfortunately, with VR being so latency sensitive, you'd have to be real careful about any kind of scaling.

Another thought: Maybe they should rethink how they brand the resolutions for CV1? Consumers are used to a certainly idea of quality when they see "1080p," which will be very misleading for them if a CV1 comes out with 1080P on the box. Even listing the resolution as 960/1080 is fairly misleading due to the huge FOV. I'm not sure what the solution is here, maybe switching to a pixel per degree of FOV ratio (getting a effective resolution of around 11 pixels per 1 degree on a 1080p screen). That doesn't sound very sexy though . . .
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

rowanunderwood wrote: Maybe they should rethink how they brand the resolutions for CV1? Consumers are used to a certainly idea of quality when they see "1080p," which will be very misleading for them if a CV1 comes out with 1080P on the box. Even listing the resolution as 960/1080 is fairly misleading due to the huge FOV. I'm not sure what the solution is here, maybe switching to a pixel per degree of FOV ratio (getting a effective resolution of around 11 pixels per 1 degree on a 1080p screen). That doesn't sound very sexy though . . .
Exactly the right punchline should be "Truely immersive" which indeed it is yes but i strongly believe 1440P is where it should start with. I think intelligent development and effective resource management can surely give you good game with decent looking graphics still playable 1440P at 60+FPS @ 100Hz it really needs programing side to be looked in to.

MAY BE LOW LEVEL GRAPHICS PROGRAMING IS KEY TO NIRVANA.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7889/micr ... to-directx

(Nirvana= Attending Absolution-Being away from the path of rebirth permanently avoiding all paths of transmigration.)
Alejux
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Alejux »

CV1 should be similar to DK2, but with a custom 1440p display + some VR input controller.

I think the thing that is most likely to delay it's release, would be content, and not hardware. They really want (and should) release the commercial version with a decent amount of AAA content available, and that takes time.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

I think once dk2 is out...they will listen to what people have to say about dk2..then incorporate those new features into a developer only DV3 which wont be available to us...however it will be the same as a CK1..so...im guessing 6 months to work out bugs and to start building a new refined developer device which will be turned into a pretty consumer device...2015...will be an Amazing Year!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

I doubt CV1 will be out this year. DK2 was not considered till very recently.
My guess is Palmer wants to pursue excellence in his first CV so is now
looking to custom manufacture, and that will take some time.
So the DK2 is this years offering.

Now I am wondering if real damage has been done to Palmers enthusiasm
to this community (ie, in oculusvr.com). The massive multi-paged thread spamming toy-tossing tirade
has to have some impact.
Perhaps any subsidising offered may be curtailed by way of restricting the numbers.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

A 50$ cashback for purchase of Consumer Version with proof of kick starter backer is best FACECULOUS can offer

I also think now Facebook Funds must started flowing in how about hiring top 5 indi game producer of RIFT CONTEST and make them build DREAM TITLE FOR RIFT IN HOUSE UNDER SUPERVISION OF CARMACK?
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Can any one sense half life 3 Vr?
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Dilip wrote:Can any one sense half life 3 Vr?
John Carmack ‏@ID_AA_Carmack 16. Aug.
The new Oculus Dallas temp office space is on Haskell Ave. Is it a sign?
286px-Half-life-logo.svg.png
Haskell-logo.png

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/statu ... 2717847552
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Oculus VR”