True Player Gear to offer an alternative to Oculus’ headset

cerulianbaloo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: True Player Gear to offer an alternative to Oculus’ head

Post by cerulianbaloo »

Color me skeptical until some real impressions from a prototype show up. Also echoing Gerald's distaste for the "motivation" towards the reveal. I do hope you plan on dropping that as part of your "pitch" once you guys start demoing this at trade shows and the like. Comes off a bit opportunistic and petty, and unprofessional. If you're confident enough about your product and its quality you shouldn't have to use anti facebook rhetoric as a selling point. Just my 2 cents.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Yeah, you should have capitalized on that implicitly rather than explicitly, lol
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

cerulianbaloo wrote:Color me skeptical until some real impressions from a prototype show up. Also echoing Gerald's distaste for the "motivation" towards the reveal. I do hope you plan on dropping that as part of your "pitch" once you guys start demoing this at trade shows and the like. Comes off a bit opportunistic and petty, and unprofessional. If you're confident enough about your product and its quality you shouldn't have to use anti facebook rhetoric as a selling point. Just my 2 cents.
Agree.

'Slagging off' the competition as part a marketing strategy is about as unprofessional as it gets.

Talk is cheap, demos speak volumes, also it occurred to me that if you've been working on this for 9 years you must have wasted loads of time and money as the technology must have been outpacing anything you've done.

Look where Palmer has got in 2 years!!!
thewolf20
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thewolf20 »

110 degree is a must for a immersive VR experience. I will still go with the Oculus Rift. Who say that you must use the Facebook software? I think theyve bought them so Oculus can help to have a immersive VR Chatroom (because Oculus has the most experience in VR) . I dont think that theyve bought Oculus to change the Hardware.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Well, I hope you guys have some better marketing than this. Though, I do enjoy the high school film project style. Very indie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udS8NgyP2Y4
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

V8Griff wrote:
cerulianbaloo wrote:Color me skeptical until some real impressions from a prototype show up. Also echoing Gerald's distaste for the "motivation" towards the reveal. I do hope you plan on dropping that as part of your "pitch" once you guys start demoing this at trade shows and the like. Comes off a bit opportunistic and petty, and unprofessional. If you're confident enough about your product and its quality you shouldn't have to use anti facebook rhetoric as a selling point. Just my 2 cents.
Agree.

'Slagging off' the competition as part a marketing strategy is about as unprofessional as it gets.

Talk is cheap, demos speak volumes, also it occurred to me that if you've been working on this for 9 years you must have wasted loads of time and money as the technology must have been outpacing anything you've done.
Seems to me from their first post these guys felt a certain way about Facebook, the result of whatever information they were going off of, prompting their going public now. They were wrong or right or had info based on correct or incorrect information relating to Facebook, but that opinion towards Facebook doesn't have much to do with their product.

Give em a break maybe?
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Libertine wrote: Seems to me from their first post these guys felt a certain way about Facebook, the result of whatever information they were going off of, prompting their going public now. They were wrong or right or had info based on correct or incorrect information relating to Facebook, but that opinion towards Facebook doesn't have much to do with their product.

Give em a break maybe?
Why give them a break? They saw that people were initially very upset about the Facebook deal and they came out with all this specifically to try to pick up those they think would jump the Oculus ship. If they had more than a render or something concrete, at least we could talk about that, but they truth seems to be that despite what they have developed, the announcement was made specifically because of the facebook deal.

You know how when people ask Oculus when the consumer version is coming out and they always say "When it is ready"? This seems like the exact oppisite of that. Instead of annonucing this when they had something to actually show off, they instead do it at a time of a percieved weakness in their competitor. That's a marketing move, a cheap and ineffective one at that - I mean, they chose the Oculus Rift forum of MTBS to announce it - wtf? I think that if they realized it would only take people a few days to come back to their senses and realize the facebook deal is a great thing for Oculus and VR, they'd never have attempted to capitolize on it.
Spudgy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Spudgy »

I'd like to know what sort of image quality they'll get with this method. Surely doing warping on the device is going to cause image degradation unless the games are set to output higher than 1080p.

Return to “Oculus VR”