Oculus to be rebranded: hardware, interface and logo changed

Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Oculus to be rebranded: hardware, interface and logo changed

Post by Attreyu »

http://www.slashgear.com/oculus-vr-face ... -26322238/

There’s a big change going on at Oculus VR this week. After announcing that they’d been acquired by Facebook for $2 billion USD in stock and cash, the team felt some relatively significant backlash from the internet-based public. Now they may be in for a second wave as word - the anonymous type, mind you - suggests that Facebook’s plans are to rebrand Oculus with a new interface and logo.

Word comes from a sufficiently prefaced "a person involved in the deal who was not allowed to speak publicly because he was not authorized by either company" speaking with the NY Times. It’s there that the following blip of information is shared. Take this one with a relatively large grain of salt, if you will.

"According to a person involved in the deal who was not allowed to speak publicly because he was not authorized by either company, Facebook eventually plans to redesign the Oculus hardware and rebrand it with a Facebook interface and logo."

The deal Facebook and Oculus VR are working on now includes $1.6 billion in stock options as well as $400 million in cash. Facebook has also included $300 million more in cash dependent on Oculus VR’s performance in the near future.

As a bit of an opposite view on the above quote is a note from Oculus VR board member Antonio Rodriguez. He suggests that Facebook "promised" that Oculus VR would be able to "operate largely anonymously within the larger company." He also suggested that Facebook representatives suggested they’d be able to operate much as Instagram and WhatsApp do now, both having been acquired over the past year by the social media giant.
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Oculus to be rebranded: hardware, interface and logo cha

Post by mayaman »

This just gets better and better.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

To be fair, Oculus was having trademark problems.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

What does it even mean to rebrand a VR headset with a facebook interface?
realyst2k
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by realyst2k »

Word comes from a sufficiently prefaced "a person involved in the deal who was not allowed to speak publicly because he was not authorized by either company" speaking with the NY Times.

[....]

rebrand it with a Facebook interface and logo.
Sounds legit (not really). I'll ask Satoshi Nakamoto what his opinion is ;)

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Oculus changes trademark, I remember hearing that was a thing in the past. The name was commonly employed elsewhere. That said, I hope they don't, I rather like the name.
zebrastealer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zebrastealer »

All joking aside, the word on the street is that the rebrand will be a co-branded term. The Foculus Rift

Sad. your face is now F'd. Thanks Zuckerburg.
Damn! I just realized I am one of the first Users on MTBS3d. Joined April 2007 - the month after MTBS3d first opened its doors.

Occulus Rift dev kit, waiting for the release version or a good screen hack....
3 x 24 inch monitors running nVidia surround 3d
Endothermic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Endothermic »

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/26/facebook-oculus/

"Facebook has officially denied a claim by a New York Times source saying the social network will plaster its logo and interface onto the hardware of its new $2 billion acquisition Oculus."

Return to “Oculus VR”