Yeah, another FB+Oculus thread, but hold the rage

realyst2k
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Yeah, another FB+Oculus thread, but hold the rage

Post by realyst2k »

ss248 wrote: Nice "shortly after" (7 months +) then.
Relevance? I misjudged, it may have been after it was concluded or when it was first delayed, who knows. I'm still entertained how you think this makes any of my points less valid. Ad hominem is rarely attributed to intelligence or cogency, I should warn.
ss248 wrote: There are two points of view going around when someone is telling people not to freak out
It's not possible to use the Oculus Rift for Ad/Spying purposes
You're fool.
I trust Facebook not to use the Oculus Rift for Ad/Spying purposes
You're FOOL.
*sigh* More trumpetting of this paranoid sillyness. Exactly HOW will this be used for spying purposes? And in what way can it be used for ad purposes that isn't tied directly to the game developer? Seriously, how? Clarify, please. Otherwise you are simply arguing from ignorance.
ss248 wrote: I'm tired of this bullsh*t already. I'm out.
Promise?
realyst2k
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by realyst2k »

Tone wrote:A bit of dissonance: The acquisition PR leads one to believe that the Zuck deal came out of the blue in the last couple of weeks. Somehow doesn't ring true when you realize that one of the major VC investors, Marc Andreessen, also sits on the board of directors of Facebook. Gets a bit incestuous when Marc A snags a big chunk of Mark Z's $2B. This also seems to clarify just why Marc A put $75m into Oculus. Did the Facebook deal really come out of thin air?

To be fair, Oculus have indicated they may have been discussing things months ago

http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/oculus-joins-facebook/
Tone
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tone »

realyst2k wrote:To be fair, Oculus have indicated they may have been discussing things months ago
http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/25/facebook-oculus-deal/

Facebook’s deal to buy Oculus VR for $2 billion happened relatively quickly and the negotiations were hammered out over the last five days during the industry’s Game Developer Conference in San Francisco, according to sources familiar with the deal. Mark Zuckerberg had been by Oculus’s Southern California offices just once before to hang out earlier this year...
realyst2k
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by realyst2k »

Finally, a citation! :)

Yeah, I was mainly referring to previous talks about acquisition/merger though.

The deal(aka: money offer) seems to have been done rather quickly according to that Tech Crunch article. Not terribly surprised. I don't think I'd linger either if someone showed me a cheque with that many zeros on it.
Tone
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tone »

realyst2k wrote:Finally, a citation! :)
My bad! The OP was citation-free and I was just going with the flow... http://www.mla.org/store/CID25/PID341
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Tone wrote:A bit of dissonance: The acquisition PR leads one to believe that the Zuck deal came out of the blue in the last couple of weeks. Somehow doesn't ring true when you realize that one of the major VC investors, Marc Andreessen, also sits on the board of directors of Facebook. Gets a bit incestuous when Marc A snags a big chunk of Mark Z's $2B. This also seems to clarify just why Marc A put $75m into Oculus. Did the Facebook deal really come out of thin air?
That occurred to me.

That said maybe it came out of thin air for Oculus but there was a bit of 'inside knowledge' being used after discussions in the Facebook boardroom?

Getting even more conspiratorial maybe this is an even better deal for Facebook than it looks with a large percentage of the stock staying in the Facebook 'family'?

All supposition of course and I actually don't care as long as Oculus stays on track and produces the goods.
realyst2k
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by realyst2k »

Tone wrote:
realyst2k wrote:Finally, a citation! :)
My bad! The OP was citation-free and I was just going with the flow... http://www.mla.org/store/CID25/PID341

Lol, sorry, just a bad joke. I was seeing so many people throwing "They will do [insert awful thing]" as fact without any citation. You corrected my theory with an actual citation. It was refreshing is all :)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

As many i don't get the logical connection between facebooks and oculus doings (social interaction connectivity vs virtual reality and gaming). Isn't there a possibility that suckerman got too drunk at an occasion and in the state of a temporary brainfart he promised to buy oculus the next thing once he's sober?
Things like that happens all the time but most often in slightly smaller scale. :lol:

Note: There is no source for any of the above.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
realyst2k
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by realyst2k »

Likay wrote:As many i don't get the logical connection between facebooks and oculus doings (social interaction connectivity vs virtual reality and gaming). Isn't there a possibility that suckerman got too drunk at an occasion and in the state of a temporary brainfart he promised to buy oculus the next thing once he's sober?
Things like that happens all the time but most often in slightly smaller scale. :lol:

Note: There is no source for any of the above.
If that later comes out in a Memoir, it will be a thing of legend ;)

I wonder if Linden Labs is being eyed for a takeover now ;)
3trip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3trip »

realyst2k wrote:
ss248 wrote: Nice "shortly after" (7 months +) then.
Relevance? I misjudged, it may have been after it was concluded or when it was first delayed, who knows. I'm still entertained how you think this makes any of my points less valid. Ad hominem is rarely attributed to intelligence or cogency, I should warn.
ss248 wrote: There are two points of view going around when someone is telling people not to freak out
It's not possible to use the Oculus Rift for Ad/Spying purposes
You're fool.
I trust Facebook not to use the Oculus Rift for Ad/Spying purposes
You're FOOL.
*sigh* More trumpetting of this paranoid sillyness. Exactly HOW will this be used for spying purposes? And in what way can it be used for ad purposes that isn't tied directly to the game developer? Seriously, how? Clarify, please. Otherwise you are simply arguing from ignorance.
ss248 wrote: I'm tired of this bullsh*t already. I'm out.
Promise?

You bet your butt there will be tons of spyware in any software Facebook makes for the rift, the hardware, no.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

3trip wrote:You bet your butt there will be tons of spyware in any software Facebook makes for the rift, the hardware, no.
Hopefully they will keep the Facebook stuff separate from the usual games and VR apps.

I'm still coming to terms with what a big deal this is. It's global news now, and on all the news channels.

Makes you think doesn't it - if you have a good idea for a product, always chase your dreams and try a Kickstarter or something.
With the right amount of determination and talented people around, you never know where it may lead. :)

Honestly, I really wish I had applied for a job at Oculus, even though I'm not exactly qualified, and I'd have to somehow move to the US.

OzOnE.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Honestly, I really wish I had applied for a job at Oculus, even though I'm not exactly qualified, and I'd have to somehow move to the US.
You may not have seen this quote by Palmer :
Palmertech wrote:We have not gotten into all the details yet, but a lot of the news is coming. The key points:
2) We can afford to hire everyone we need, the best people that fit into our culture of excellence in all aspects.
It's now more than ever the moment to apply for a job at Oculus VR.
Drewbdoo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Drewbdoo »

Fredz wrote:
It's now more than ever the moment to apply for a job at Oculus VR.
Don't tempt me. I think I would quit my job and move across the country to be a janitor there sometimes. Most of the time... Most of the time I'm at work...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Think of it this way: why would Facebook waste $2B if they were just going to run Oculus into the ground? It doesn't make any sense.

Obviously they spent the money because they believe the Rift is going to be a huge runaway success (which it will be) and they want to be a part of it. This is not just about making people login with Facebook or displaying in-game ads. Granted, I'm sure there will be opportunities to leverage existing Facebook infrastructure, but I think it would be more of a benefit to Oculus than anything.

As far as I know, Oculus still has control over development of the product. Our plans haven't changed much, except to maybe give us more access to better components and for possibility less money. I can understand how it looks from the outside, but I really think this will work out.

Also, Android was an acquisition by Google and look what happened with that.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

I think we all VR nuts initial reaction to the news is WTF! I'll be frank that I'm not so fond of facebook and Oculus is born through the passion of VR and the sharing of ideas and information. If you look from the hobbyist point of view, we prefer things born out of passion, not just for profit. But we are the minority and in order for VR to succeed, we can't look away from profit and bigger market to average consumer. I still believe Palmer is neutral in this case as he is quite open to the community. He is willing to share the information he had with the community and encourage them to build their own VR device. The hurdle they face now would be something that just can't be solve with passion and off the shelf items. It need to be custom build for VR purpose and I think with the cash infusion, this could be a good thing as they have stronger bargaining power.

As for the fear of ads instrusion from facebook, I still don't think it is feasible serve ads in VR environment. I mean facebook is meant to be somthing simple to access and post update. If at some point facebook try to integrate ads into VR and we could always vote with our wallet. I wanted VR to happen big time for the longest time and can see it's happening now. Lets see how it goes first before throwing in more assumption. If they manage to push out the product with game developers support next year, I would be very happy.

As for the Oculus team to hit a jackpot in investment, I don't see anything wrong to profit something out of passion. How many of us are willing to leave our current job to pursue a dream?
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Yep, the Google / Android thing was mentioned, cyber, and it's a very good point.

The success of Android around the World is kind of indisputable now.

btw, did you have any say on the Facebook acquisition, or allowed to sit in on any of the meetings?

I now think this is a great thing, it just took time to get over the initial shock.
For me, it's mainly because I loved the idea of Oculus being a small (mainly) independent start-up which grew from Palmer's great work.

Initially, it felt like we were all a part of Oculus in some way, no matter how small.
And now it seems we have to let go of that concept.

I second what pierreye said - Oculus felt like it was a company made by the VR fans for the VR fans, but the Facebook thing has killed some of that passion slightly.

Also, you must admit that this is a bit of a "set back" for a lot of the early supporters and KS pledgers who thought they were investing in the original concept of Oculus as a trailblazer in VR?

All in all, it sounds like the correct contracts have been signed, and this can only be a good thing for VR as a whole.

It has seriously made me think about cancelling my DK2 order, as the CV1 is promised to be much better now.
I'll keep on with the order though, as it sounds like a cool piece of hardware to own, and may even be a historical thing to own one day.

I still hope for good things to come. Palmer's comments on reddit have given me renewed hope that all will turn out for the best. :)

OzOnE.

btw, cyber, Oculus / Facebook has been on practically every major news channel today. Sky News, Fox, CNN, BBC, you name it. :D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I do agree that Oculus maybe lost the image of the garage start-up, bedroom hacker, thing. However, we are still the same group of people. We are still just as excited about VR. And our plans for the future have not changed. I think everyone that was part of the start of the company on Kickstarter, and either bought or developed for the hardware, should be really proud of what happened. It's probably the biggest crowd-funding success of all time, and likely will be something for the history books. We should all be happy to have been, and to continue to be, a part of it.
FR3D
Cross Eyed!

Post by FR3D »

In the german news Zuckerberg stated that he is seeing the Rift as platform for virtuell communication and advertising . :evil:

NO WORD THAT THE RIFT WILL BE FOR GAMING. :evil:

best ragards ...
best regards FR3D
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

FR3D wrote:In the german news Zuckerberg stated that he is seeing the Rift as platform for virtuell communication and advertising . :evil:
Of course he does, VR in general is a platform for virtual communication and advertising since it's what we do IRL so naturally we would do it in something pretending to be, so it makes sense that he sees a product which is VR as being a platform for that.
FR3D wrote: NO WORD THAT THE RIFT WILL BE FOR GAMING. :evil:
Why does he need to give word that the rift will be for gaming? Being a platform for something doesn't exclude it from another and it's already obvious that it will be for gaming as it is the stated primary goal of Oculus for the rift CV1 to be a seated gaming experience and it already has so many "game" developers developing games for it, no need for someone that just acquired the company to repeat the obvious.
jeremyc9
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jeremyc9 »

FR3D wrote:
I believe the Rift being used for gaming is pretty common knowledge, and shouldn't have to be spelled out for you. Zuckerberg, like most people, knows that social media sites can only stay afloat for so long before the ship sinks. So why not jump on another ship with the potential to make even more money on something that has a much, much longer shelf life?
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

I guess if you find it really so terrible that he didn't mention gaming then here http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/8 ... 1/riftbook

Zuckerberg has said, himself, in the statement:

“Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won’t be changing and we hope to accelerate.”

There feel better now?
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

FR3D wrote:In the german news Zuckerberg stated that he is seeing the Rift as platform for virtuell communication and advertising . :evil:

best ragards ...
Very annoying when people selectively quote to promote their own inaccurate take on what's been said

This is a quote from Zuckerberg when posting on FB about this, I just thought I'd highlight one or two words for you so you don't miss them

Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.

But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.

Pretty clear I'd say.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

prepare for a non stop flood of spam for products, you will have to change email addresses. This will happen.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Tone wrote:Somehow doesn't ring true when you realize that one of the major VC investors, Marc Andreessen, also sits on the board of directors of Facebook.
Does this mean facebook slowly begin to infiltrate Oculus with their VC arm. weaken them from inside by monetary obligation then bring them to knees to sign evil pact, having no way to refund those funds in gun point short notice?

Is this what you sense, it could be true too pal history has many lessons including kind of TROJANS.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Dilip wrote:
Tone wrote:Somehow doesn't ring true when you realize that one of the major VC investors, Marc Andreessen, also sits on the board of directors of Facebook.
Does this mean facebook slowly begin to infiltrate Oculus with their VC arm. weaken them from inside by monetary obligation then bring them to knees to sing evil pact having no way to refund those funds in gun point short notice?

Is this what you sense, it could be true too pal history has many lessons including kind of TROJANS.
Are you being serious here? If you're not you missed the smiley..... ;)

If you are being serious then WTF? Why on earth would anyone spend $2bn and then try to screw the company?

They don't need to do anything by stealth they own the company.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Ah, i missed past tense in first half of sentence and it did changed the meaning of what i meant.

What i doubt is Marc Andreessen was 'Undercover' Facebook Agent provided venture capital to oculus in its 'Second round' of funding. Then kept close eye on their developments, once oculus face shortage of money forced them to get oculus sold to Facebook thus completed ulitmate goal.

Which is now done. And they won't screw them anymore they as indirectly did and purchased the company.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Its part sad. part hopeful story now.

If they won't put restrictions on oculus. let palmer and his team drive their product to its ultimate destination with CV-1,2..So on and keep only their interest in Communication and VR Socializing F# stuff and allow gamers and entertainment enthusiast to be in peace.

They can also bring GUDY GUDY Things like Sleek Device, 2K/4K Screen, Great Games and Movies that are under close quality control and funding of FACECULUS palmer was talking about.

Sad part will begin if they implement Facebook Store Exclusive device, running nothing other than whatever being sold by Facebook or Given at discounted price at cost of 5 Advertisement/1 Hour of game play.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Dilip wrote:Ah, i missed past tense in first half of sentence and it did changed the meaning of what i meant.

What i doubt is Marc Andreessen was 'Undercover' Facebook Agent provided venture capital to oculus in its 'Second round' of funding. Then kept close eye on their developments, once oculus face shortage of money forced them to get oculus sold to Facebook thus completed ulitmate goal.

Which is now done. And they won't screw them anymore they as indirectly did and purchased the company.
When Oculus announced on December 13th last year that they'd received $75m from Andreessen/Horowitz they also mentioned that AH, among others had invested in Facebook, they also mentioned that both Marc Andreessen and Chris Dixon got seats on the Oculus board.

If you then did a little bit of 'Googling' or even just looked at his 'Wiki' entry it was easy to see that Marc Andreessen also had a seat on Facebook's board.

Oculus were plainly aware that MA had big Facebook connections so while their interest in actually buying Oculus may have come out of the blue I think everyone there is smart enough to realise that Facebook knew what was going on and that Mark Zuckerberg didn't just 'drop in' on a whim a month or so ago and were probably hoping for some sort of partnership.

I know if Mark Zuckerberg 'popped' into my office (unlikely more's teh pity) I'd be looking for some sort of angle.
realyst2k
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by realyst2k »

cybereality wrote:I do agree that Oculus maybe lost the image of the garage start-up, bedroom hacker, thing. However, we are still the same group of people. We are still just as excited about VR. And our plans for the future have not changed. I think everyone that was part of the start of the company on Kickstarter, and either bought or developed for the hardware, should be really proud of what happened. It's probably the biggest crowd-funding success of all time, and likely will be something for the history books. We should all be happy to have been, and to continue to be, a part of it.

That's the part that gets me. You're now garage startup bedroom hacker types with 2 billion dollars and a giant warchest. That's awesome! ;)

Return to “Oculus VR”