Leak from investor. Rift is to be used for...............

Endothermic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Leak from investor. Rift is to be used for.............

Post by Endothermic »

mayaman wrote:I'm trolling? Thats just stupid, who has time for that.
So I see a thread titled "Leak from investor. Rift is to be used for..............." great i'm gonna read what the Rift will really be used for from a leak from someone actually invested in the company so it should have some actual relevance to it rather than just being someones unfounded speculation.

Yet in the post there is no mention of any actual leak from any actual investor in Oculus about what the rift will actually be used for let alone any reference to said information since it is non existant. Instead all I see is you regurgitating the same crap as in the other threads.

So how are you not trolling?

As others have said virtual storefronts are an inevitable evolution of VR. If Facebook and Oculus were non existant than guess what... we would still end up with virtual malls and advertising all over the place when VR goes mainstream. And what's wrong with that.. go into a real mall and there is advertising all over the place so what's wrong with it in a virtual mall.... and guess what again... just like you don't have to go into a real mall if you don't want to you don't have to use virtual malls with advertising in your face if you don't want to.

And yes there will likely be a Face Life or a Second Book created in all VR glory which as you postulate will also be full to the brim of adds in your face. But guess what again... you won't have to use it! just like you don't have to play Second Life now if you don't want to.

All these people going are on about ads everywhere in VR now.... well don't use the Facebook software or ad filled virtual stores or whatever if you don't want to put up with all the ads. I guess from a technical point it would be possible to make the rift so that anytime there is an internet connection available it would always connect to the Facebook servers and no matter what you are playing or doing would overlay ads in your face all the time but hey another guess what moment.... if they did then no one would use the damn thing and if no one's using it then hey they wont be selling any and making any money.

Yes there will be ads all over the place in VR but only in Facebook software and other software that the developer "choose" to implement it in, it's not going to be in everything you do just because Facebook are behind "one" of the VR HMDs that will be on the market in the near future. The only time you'll have ads in your face is if you "choose" to use something that puts ads in your face. Perhaps EA or other big publishing companies will end up putting ads in your face in their games as well which might piss you off cos its a game you like, but if they did do that then that has nothing to do with Facebook acquiring Oculus it's simply because "they" wanted to just like if they decided to do that to their games now.

I dislike Facebook almost as much as you do, but I think it might actually be good for Oculus considering all the resources they'll have available now, just as long as Facebook sticks to it's word and leaves Oculus to run itself how it wants like it has been and doesn't start butting their nose in making them do what they want.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Mystify wrote:I give as much credence to those things as a hypothetical facebook monitor that will automatically display ads.
The rift has no interface of its own to add things to.
it does not run its own program to require log in accounts
is it too tough to develop interface ? I have in past used programs which require certain hardware to be attached to computer for as long as you want to use the software ( A dongle(hardware) working as software authentication) if it can be done for software how impossible it would be to put a memory chip in rift and build a facebook interface. i am not saying 'This will happen' but 'This is likely to happen'
as facebook invested in RIFT they probably want it to be amended to have facebook family 'Face' and a way to earn handsomely out of it too.
Mystify wrote:If this was the morpheus, sure. That is built on the playstation, and so sony does have that degree of control over things. The rift is too open.
My fear is that only, as now Rift is facebook owned product, they can temper its openness and are rightful to do so.
Last edited by Dilip on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Prepare for the landslide of spam email that will force you to change your email address for all the wonderful products, pills, and penis enlargement pills they think you'll want to buy.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Also, virtual storefronts are an inevitable evolution of VR? Do you guys even know how BS that sounds?

Up until yesterday I'd gather that if you looked through every single thread on MTBS3D.com that you couldn't find a single one extolling the importance of virtual storefronts. GIVE ME A BREAK.

I know you're trying to be positive, fine, but stop already with this reach and grasping at straws.

The Rift WAS a device to play games, period. And I mean that with capitals, PERIOD!!!!!!

It was a device created for us, the hard core gamer, those guys, who like Palmer and much before Palmers time have dreamed of being inside the game. Not a virtual storefront, not to be data mined, not to have endless spam from penis pumps, pills, crazy remedies, and any other piece of crap thing that will be marketed to you because of this merger.

Again, if you think that won't happen you are severely kidding yourself.

Facebook is a data mining, advertising, NSA leaking juggernaut. I don't care if the Rift ends up giving me a reach around and being the end all be all of VR that has ever been in the universe. The fact that its partnered with the company that I think represents everything that is wrong with the internet and actively violates the rights of its own users is reprehensible to me.

So you can continue to try and find the positives, great for you. The Rift will probably be the great VR headset that even aliens will come down and say WOW. But its tarnished for partnering with Facebook.

And whats up with one of the Oculus execs also sitting on the board of Facebook? This deal came out of nowhere? Right, and I have a bridge to sell you.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

mayaman wrote:And whats up with one of the Oculus execs also sitting on the board of Facebook? This deal came out of nowhere? Right, and I have a bridge to sell you.
No secret, if you pay attention to what's going on and do your research.

When Oculus announced on December 13th last year that they'd received $75m from Andreessen/Horowitz the also mentioned that they, among others had invested in Facebook, they also mentioned that both Marc Andreessen and Chris Dixon got seats on the Oculus board.

If you then did a little bit of 'Googling' or even just looked at his 'Wiki' entry it was easy to see that Marc Andreessen also had a seat on Facebook's board. No Trojan Horse, all there in black and white.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

More like a harbinger notation than anything. Sigh.

To me, while the cash infusion is fantastic for Oculus, *there is no arguing that*, the partnering with Facebook will ultimately be bad for them, their image, and gamers in general.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I don't need my brain, I don't need facts, all I need is a community of people that know and tons of memes telling the truth!!
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
realyst2k
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by realyst2k »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWtfHiQx50U

Tested said it best(paraphrase): "Anyone thinking Facebook bought Oculus just to force people to browse Facebook is showing an absolutely idiotic lack of imagination."
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

C'mon man, nobody even remotely thinks that is why they bought Oculus. Its already been stated several times in several threads what people think is going to go down. And that, while pretty funny, isn't one of them.
realyst2k
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by realyst2k »

mayaman wrote:C'mon man, nobody even remotely thinks that is why they bought Oculus. Its already been stated several times in several threads what people think is going to go down. And that, while pretty funny, isn't one of them.

You say this, and I wish it were true. Yet I still see the same thing said again and again. I recommend a watch of that video. They do a really good job breaking down most of the criticisms.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

They will try their best to sugar coat it but bottom line is they don't know any more than any of us and to be honest its in their best interest to be favorable of the deal.

Will there be people who think this? Sure, but that is just natural considering who bought them. But there have been other arguments here which touch on real concerns.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

mayaman wrote:Also, virtual storefronts are an inevitable evolution of VR? Do you guys even know how BS that sounds?

Up until yesterday I'd gather that if you looked through every single thread on MTBS3D.com that you couldn't find a single one extolling the importance of virtual storefronts. GIVE ME A BREAK.

I know you're trying to be positive, fine, but stop already with this reach and grasping at straws.
I have posted in threads about the possibility of virtual storefronts before this. Even in the early days following the rifts announcement, people had mentioned that use.
mayaman wrote: The Rift WAS a device to play games, period. And I mean that with capitals, PERIOD!!!!!!
Ha.
Hahahahahaha
haha
oh, tell me another one.
The rift was meant to be an open VR platform. Yes, that includes games, but it also includes....whatever anyone wanted to make for it. There have been many discussions about potential uses, with varying degrees of progress. We had people making virtual movie theaters, tons of discussions about virtual hangout programs, using it as a tool to visualize architectural designs, as an aid for 3d modeling, virtual tourism, therapy for phobias.... and yes, virtual stores. Saying the rift is only for games is extraordinarily closed-minded.
mayaman wrote: It was a device created for us, the hard core gamer, those guys, who like Palmer and much before Palmers time have dreamed of being inside the game. Not a virtual storefront, not to be data mined, not to have endless spam from penis pumps, pills, crazy remedies, and any other piece of crap thing that will be marketed to you because of this merger.

Again, if you think that won't happen you are severely kidding yourself.
mayaman wrote: Facebook is a data mining, advertising, NSA leaking juggernaut. I don't care if the Rift ends up giving me a reach around and being the end all be all of VR that has ever been in the universe. The fact that its partnered with the company that I think represents everything that is wrong with the internet and actively violates the rights of its own users is reprehensible to me.
Hey, I dislike facebook too. But you have a very warped sense of what things actually make sense for them to do to the rift, and what things are actually a problem. Oh no, they are going to make a program where you can go shopping in virtual reality. The Horror. Please, that does not lend you credability, it makes you sound like a panicked doomsayer. The end is nye, everything that could potentially go wrong will all go wrong, at the same time. Get upset about the things that are actually going wrong here. You think facebook is a despicable company and want to avoid the rift to avoid supporting them? Perfectly reasoanble. You start spouting about how its going to assault you with ads while tracking your every move based on them making a virtual store, and I start wondering why you haven't accused them of using the rift to brainwash people to use facebook more.

You have some nuggets of real concerns, but you portray everything in such a ludicrous overblown manner that nobody can take it seriously.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Mystify wrote:
mayaman wrote: The Rift WAS a device to play games, period. And I mean that with capitals, PERIOD!!!!!!
The rift was meant to be an open VR platform. Yes, that includes games, but it also includes....whatever anyone wanted to make for it. There have been many discussions about potential uses, with varying degrees of progress. We had people making virtual movie theaters, tons of discussions about virtual hangout programs, using it as a tool to visualize architectural designs, as an aid for 3d modeling, virtual tourism, therapy for phobias.... and yes, virtual stores. Saying the rift is only for games is extraordinarily closed-minded.
I completely agree with @Mystify, Palmer didn't just have games in mind when he wanted a VR HMD.

He didn't work for a games company prior to this, he worked at USC and projects there were focussed on telepresence and simulation iirc. He also started the ModRetro forum as he's a hardware hacker and while games is an obvious route for VR it's just part of it. Indeed the first contact I had with Palmer was to ask if he wanted one of my old HMDs for his collection. (It's the yellow Visette I you may have seen in early pictures of the Oculus office.)

I've been involved with immersive VR since the early 1990s and can assure you that most of my business hasn't been game based and were not the main applications I had in mind when I acquired my Rift DK1s and pre-ordered my DK2s

Mystify wrote: You have some nuggets of real concerns, but you portray everything in such a ludicrous overblown manner that nobody can take it seriously.
^^^^This.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

are you guys aware that you totally made my effort of putting him in my foe list worthless by quoting him all the time - come one "The Rift WAS a device to play games, period. And I mean that with capitals, PERIOD!!!!!!" and you are still feeding him?
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I can't resist debating with people on forums. It has been a constant wherever I go.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

GeraldT wrote:are you guys aware that you totally made my effort of putting him in my foe list worthless by quoting him all the time - come one "The Rift WAS a device to play games, period. And I mean that with capitals, PERIOD!!!!!!" and you are still feeding him?
...it's fun though... :D
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

yeah - I know the urge, but I really try to keep it down here and visit Reddit for a fix :mrgreen:
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

sad
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

GeraldT wrote:... not having to visit the supermarket can only save fuel and resources (especially the most important resource: time)
Mystify wrote:Even if this is true, it will not be the primary use of VR, and such uses would occur no matter who is running occulus. ...
Yeah, just like the primary use of electricity will continue to be for video games, eh? ;)

When VR is an APPLIANCE that everybody just takes for granted, it will be used for almost everything, and gaming will be just a small part of that, like electricity is today, IMHO.

Yeah, TIME, the most precious nonrenewable resource, until "they" release telomere reset technology (after global depopulation, of course)...
mickman

Post by mickman »

What the Fun !!! :woot

Nothing wrong with vitamins & a little protein.... Compared to death threats... Lucky, he got it easy.

Looks like we have the first development of lOl Enterprise ... won't be long till the Sixers show up.... R.P.1

The worst part about all this is the fact the kid's got no idea about the true essence of gaming... He was not even thought of in 1976 when pong, asteroids, space invaders etc.. first hit the scene... But I do give the kid cred in bringing VR back into to the lime light... Just sad he's gone to the dark side so soon.

Here's something interesting.... I friend was chatting to the developer of Eye Mirror. ( Gopro 360 ) not long ago. He helped Lucky design the Oculus .. I believe the lenses ( but don't quote me on that ) & he's pretty pissed ATM. I won't go into detail

I wonder if this thread will stay in place or perhaps It will disappear due to higher forces having influence over a forum... We shall see. Dare I say it but it won't be long till we see a surge in underground VR... Hackers going against the grain. Anti lOl

Let's get real people... Lucky it wasn't McDs. or Coke... Perhaps Google or Apple might have been a slightly better choice.

Welcome to the Dark Side... Lucky... it's not me. 8-)
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
yautjacetanu
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yautjacetanu »

The worst part about all this is the fact the kid's got no idea about the true essence of gaming... He was not even thought of in 1976 when pong, asteroids, space invaders etc.. first hit the scene... But I do give the kid cred in bringing VR back into to the lime light... Just sad he's gone to the dark side so soon.
Actually this is one of the best things about Palmer which is why I think Oculus will succeed.

Palmer has said a bunch of times that he is a hardware guy not a software guy and so he doesn't want to make games. Now Oculus has moved more into actually making and publishing content, Palmer has responded by hiring people who really do get games to do the games stuff.

I mean they have Carmack, Abrash and David De Martini. These guys GET games.

The humility to be at the head of something like this, know where your gaps are and allow other people who are better then you to do their Job is what means I think Palmer has a chance to go far. I also think this is REALLY HARD to do. Torvalds talks about how there will always be people smarter then you, you can either use them or fight them, its better to have them on your side. Palmer seems to be great at consistently letting people who are wiser, more experienced and more intelligent them him do the things they are good at whilst Palmer gets to focus on what he is actually good at.
I wonder if this thread will stay in place or perhaps It will disappear due to higher forces having influence over a forum... We shall see. Dare I say it but it won't be long till we see a surge in underground VR... Hackers going against the grain. Anti lOl
I agree GeraldT about feeding trolls. I don't think you're actually trolling but conspiracy theories like this really kill rational discourse so my hope is that, if you respond, it will be to the actual arguments I've provided. However, even if you don't I think should re-iterate my intentions of this post. Its not to convince you of anything. Instead its to highlight something I find interesting.

TL;DR: A perceived weakness in Palmer (lack of experience) is actually a strength of Palmer because of the way he has publicly approached his weakness and dealt with it. That shows a character that is likely to do the same thing again and again maintaining oculus' success.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

The essence of leadership is to surround yourself with people smarter than you, and keep them one step ahead of the crowd. The crowd does the steering, and the leader just provides gentle nudges from time to time. Two steps ahead just makes you a target, so be careful to not push a goal "too far into the future" (a skill I have yet to master).

Somebody like Palmer can go a long way if he just keeps on "keepin' on"... He has come a long way already. VR has a bright future, if we can just solve that persistent queasiness problem (especially for newcomers to VR). The DK2 helps with that a lot, compared to the DK1, so we seem to be on the right track there...
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

mickman wrote:What the Fun !!! :woot

Nothing wrong with vitamins & a little protein.... Compared to death threats... Lucky, he got it easy.

Looks like we have the first development of lOl Enterprise ... won't be long till the Sixers show up.... R.P.1

Here's something interesting.... I friend was chatting to the developer of Eye Mirror. ( Gopro 360 ) not long ago. He helped Lucky design the Oculus .. I believe the lenses ( but don't quote me on that ) & he's pretty pissed ATM. I won't go into detail

Let's get real people... Lucky it wasn't McDs. or Coke... Perhaps Google or Apple might have been a slightly better choice.

Welcome to the Dark Side... Lucky... it's not me. 8-)
What a bunch of bullshit. Today's GAME DEVELOPERS have major problems with not only knowing about bar setting classics like space invaders *laughter*, they often don't even know where the bar is set on basic elements of the game they are making that occurred within a few years... From that we keep getting a lot of "3 steps forward, 2 steps back" games.
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

colocolo wrote:2 billion for nothing??? Sounds too good to be true
If i'll see an Advertissement in VR i will throw myself out of the window.
Personally, I'll just install adblock :)
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Realistic product placement, highway billboards, and TV commercials really ADD to the immersion and suspensiono of disbelief, just like in the movies. Identifying with the main character gets a bid difficult when he opens a generic can of "Good Food" to chow down. Despite all the incessant whining since the Facebook affair, my experience suggests that such advertising CAN be tastefully done, in a way that makes VR better than without it. No ads at all would make a VR world "too good to be true" where modelling accuracy requires a realistic life-like sense of truth (including the ads we perceive every day in the real world).

I am more concerned about the negative side effects of data mining, such as when co-workers might see NSFW google ads on my screen, or in my search results. Luckily I telecommute and do not have shoulder surfers at the moment. But still, it creeps me out and that feeling in VR will hurt immersivity. Perhaps we need generic ads such as we see in real life (not on our computer screens), and a minimum of targetted advertising potentially betraying our data privacy. Facebook will need to keep that in mind when they adjust the ad relevancy variables in our Facebook-sponsored VR worlds.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

facebook is 'mobile cash flow' that has to move to where and what the market is. It has to use it's funds to either create functional companies that take advantage of the given current memes in society or to buy companies who express them, and grow those companies.

Facebook can buy companies and force them into some sort of compatible format for the existing Facebook model, but that is shortsighted and would kill the 'cash flow' model of doing business. That it will die on the vine.

This is about money moving around and growing, nothing more, nothing less.

In the meantime, as Oculus grows and Facebook changes, the test of Facebook and VR via Oculus made hardware WILL take place, but if Facebook begins to fail, which is inevitable (as all models come to an end, eventually), then Oculus is to be a cash cow FOR the Facebook money train. Sooner or later, it will finally come time for the extant and emergent Oculus model to come to an end. But it is still very much on the upswing, right now, death of that model might be a good decade away, with lots and lots of growth in between now and then. There will come a time when the Oculus money will move to a different location, company,and direction. If it is smart enough to make it through that decade, in good shape and to invest in the right things are the right time, when they come along. Just like Facebook funding did with Oculus.

And that's how simple and straightforward it is.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
3trip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3trip »

geekmaster wrote:Realistic product placement, highway billboards, and TV commercials really ADD to the immersion and suspensiono of disbelief, just like in the movies. Identifying with the main character gets a bid difficult when he opens a generic can of "Good Food" to chow down. Despite all the incessant whining since the Facebook affair, my experience suggests that such advertising CAN be tastefully done, in a way that makes VR better than without it. No ads at all would make a VR world "too good to be true" where modelling accuracy requires a realistic life-like sense of truth (including the ads we perceive every day in the real world).

I am more concerned about the negative side effects of data mining, such as when co-workers might see NSFW google ads on my screen, or in my search results. Luckily I telecommute and do not have shoulder surfers at the moment. But still, it creeps me out and that feeling in VR will hurt immersivity. Perhaps we need generic ads such as we see in real life (not on our computer screens), and a minimum of targetted advertising potentially betraying our data privacy. Facebook will need to keep that in mind when they adjust the ad relevancy variables in our Facebook-sponsored VR worlds.
I agree, and I'll add it's a lot easier to ignore bill boards and signs in real life & VR, than adds on your computer screen, with one exception, pop ups, they will be vastly more annoying than before. Thankfully, I've only seen 1 pop up in the last year thanks to add block.

Return to “Oculus VR”