Descent into the Rift (D2X-XL)

Mouseplay
One Eyed Hopeful

Descent into the Rift (D2X-XL)

Post by Mouseplay »

Don't know if you guys knew, but the author of the D2X-XL port recently added native Rift support (see here). Descent 2 in the Rift should produce some proper stomach churning. :mrgreen:

Now I've been having problems getting it to work and it seems to be impossible to register a new account on the D2X-XL forums, so I decided this would probably be the next best place to post. I've followed the installation guide on the D2X-XL site (see here) and installed all the neccessary files in the correct locations. The game starts, plays the videos and shows the menu, but as soon as I try to get in game (after loading the level), I get this error:

These are the last 4 lines in the game's log file:

Code: Select all

finished building optimized polygon model data (61 models converted)
               creating cameras
               creating spheres
         +++ Memory access violation
It doesn't matter if the Oculus Rift is enabled or not in the 'Render Options', if it's connected then the game crashes. Now if I simply disconnect the HDMI cable from the Rift, then the game works fine. I've got a nVidia GTX 670 and am using drivers 314.22. (Not the latest, I know. I've just gotten good results with these drivers and I highly doubt D2X-XL needs the latest drivers.)

Anybody got any ideas besides updating the drivers?
Anybody know how I can register on the D2X-XL forums?

(I apologize in advance if this is the wrong subforum for this post)
3trip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Descent into the Rift (D2X-XL)

Post by 3trip »

I find this very interesting!

Edit: after reading the change log, I now know what will be my first title on the rift I can't wait!
cegli
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cegli »

I have the exact same problem. Unplug the USB tracker and everything runs. Plug it in and crash.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I don't know the answer, but I had a similar crashing problem with Metro Last Light when playing with Nvidia 3D Vision (NOT on the Rift). The game would crash on start after about 3 seconds. If I unplugged the HDMI cable for the Rift, then everything worked fine. In my case, this was a solution since I only wanted to play with the Nvidia glasses. Still not sure why it happened.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

It also permanently crashes on my end.
On my end everything works fine until I start to load a level.

It either zooms into one eye and crashes, or it only shows the right eye.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
karx11erx
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by karx11erx »

Hi,

the Rift API has had some nasty changes. I have tried to adjust the code, but I don't have the Rift hardware anymore to test it.

I may be purchasing the 2nd gen developer hardware. The Rift API is still subject to significant changes anyway, so I could implement that in D2X-XL.

Right now, you can only register on the D2X-XL forum by asking an admin by e-mail (write to karx11erx at hotmail dot com).

karx11erx (D2X-XL maintainer)
Mouseplay
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mouseplay »

Thanks for the reply karx. Hopefully the API will mature to a stable state and you'll be able to implement it again. Descent is one of those games that I have no doubt is amazing in the Rift. :woot
karx11erx
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by karx11erx »

D2X-XL forum registration is open again now.

Btw, D2X-XL had a bunch of bugs when you tried the Rift with it. You may want to give it another shot, it's way more stable now.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

oooo Descent...good memories of that game!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
Mouseplay
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mouseplay »

I was going to register but I need to answer this question: "What is the name of D2X-XL's light player ship?"

I haven't played the game in a million years, so I've forgotten pretty much everything about it. Google doesn't have the answer.

Embarassing. :oops:

Return to “Oculus VR”