AR-Rift demo is worth seeing

Flassan
Cross Eyed!

AR-Rift demo is worth seeing

Post by Flassan »

If you missed Neil's article on the front page I recommend taking a look at this http://youtu.be/Bc_TCLoH2CA
You can find further info at www.http://willsteptoe.com/. I haven't met Will personally but have heard him mentioned often.
It may be the sight of an avatar stood in the same room right next to you but something about this makes AR a lot more compelling than I've seen previously.
I'm also still curious to know if mixing real video of the room with the image on a Rift (kinda like a half silvered mirror arrangement) would prevent sim sickness?
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Re: AR-Rift demo is worth seeing

Post by blazespinnaker »

I was looking forward to him walking around the room / avatar. Ah well, next video!
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
Flassan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Flassan »

blazespinnaker wrote:I was looking forward to him walking around the room / avatar. Ah well, next video!
I have to agree. Feedback like that can be really useful.
I had to view it again because I couldn't remember seeing the screen door effect on the real video. It could be that display resolution isn't as important as texture quality and natural looking motion blur. Not only does the background video of the room look better than the Tuscany part but those I showed it to found that caused more nausea, even though he moved his head around a similar amount. Little defects like the wrinkles in the grey material on the walls add to the realism too. I also liked the little touch where he puts on the virtual Rift.
doktor3d
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by doktor3d »

Hi, I am the guy who made this. There is a longer thread on Reddit in case anyone is interested: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... immersive/

Feel free to ask more questions though.

Thanks for the comments, I will do more walking around in the next video :)
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

I was able to try this at the London VR Developer meetup this week. It took a little bit of getting used to, because the camera pass-through isn't as nice as your own vision - it felt very odd to crouch down or stand up, as your brain would panic a little bit as it was not seeing what it expected to see due to the latency/framerate. We're going to need better cameras before this is an experience that people are going to want to use. That all said, it was a very very impressive proof of concept, and the 6DOF tracking and tracked gloves was a really amazing way to interact with a GUI. Can't wait to see this tech develop as it's going to be truly amazing in the not-too-distant-future. :D
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

Return to “Oculus VR”