WIRELESS OCULUS RIFT <100$ (Video up!)

Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Re: WIRELESS OCULUS RIFT <100$ (Video up!)

Post by Hornet »

Thx a lot thi is it!
RikuDesu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RikuDesu »

I haven't had any problems with overheating or LOS. It does need to be close for a better WUSB connection speed, so as long as you aren't actually running around in large circles (I'm planning to use this with the omni) you should be fine. I have the unit behind my TV so it doesn't really matter that something blocks it or not, just that both the transmitters don't stray too far from each other. IT DOES however get very hot within I say, about 45 minutes, DO NOT leave this plugged into a usb port. I haven't used it longer than 45 minutes at a time.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Ok, thanks for the info. This solution doesn't look that bad then. :P

I've searched a bit for other sources for this device (or similar ones) and it seems it's been sold by several vendors under a different name.

Here is a list of what I've found with the lowest price I could find for each :
- Cables Unlimited USB-WR2000 (USB2) : $75.00
- Cables Unlimited Wireless USB (previous version, USB1) : $39.99
- Cables To Go 29571 TruLink Wireless USB (not the same design) : $86.40
- Olidata Wireless-USB-Set : 52,90€ ($72.65)
- Q-Waves Wireless USB Data Kit : £24.99 ($40.71)

I've set up a page there with more information about these devices (drivers, reviews, etc.) and also Wireless video devices :
http://vrwiki.wikispaces.com/DIY+HMD
RikuDesu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RikuDesu »

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited- ... im_sbs_e_2

This is the one i have, REMEMBER that it needs to be able to be externally powered (not via ac adapter but some USB type batterypack [or be rewireable]) before you decide on to an alternative (thats why I have the HUB version. Make sure its actual WUSB not wifi ahaha. The dongle set doesnt come with a hub. I'm not sure how well the other WUSB ones work too since I don't have them
Polyganz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Polyganz »

Is there a specific reason you are using the LG wireless solution?

I'm asking because there are a numerous other wireless HDMI solutions for home users as well as for professional user in film.

Here are some links:

http://www.nyrius.com/products/display.php?id=122&i=4
http://www.idxtek.com/products/cw-1
http://www.startech.com/AV/Extenders/HD ... m~ST121WHD
http://www.amazon.com/WiCast-EW2000-Wir ... roduct_top
RikuDesu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RikuDesu »

Because it was the cheapest solution with acceptable latency.
Polyganz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Polyganz »

cool, makes sense :)

Does anyone of you have experience with any other wireless HDMI solutions?

Also hows the range on that thing?
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

RikuDesu, Geekmaster,
Do you happen to know if I can use the "Cables Unlimited DisplayDock Wireless...", but only to send USB wirelessly? http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited- ... WXV6NMDVN2

Other than the LOS performance, what else do I need to know about it?
-Do the drivers work on 64 bit Windows?
-What is the latency like?
-Will using only the USB ports consume less energy?

I have a Windows 7 x64 PC.

EDIT: Quick question Geekmaster, how does the computer see the USB devices connected through the wireless dock? Does it behave like a 2 port hub? My intention would be to connect the Rift(Obviously) and the hydra through those ports. RikuDesu, you had trouble connecting just the USB dongle with a usb hub and both devices right. I wonder if it would be different with the display dock Gm has.

EDIT2: To give you guys some background info. I'm asking because I have a Peerless WHDI for wireless HD video which works quite well, it also sends USB through the adapter, but it only works with KB+M. The driver is the culprit here. So I sent an email to a representative from Peerless and he replied that it had limited USB support because of the video that was using most of the bandwidth available. That is why I'm wondering how well it would work with the Cables Unlimited display dock, for which the retail box specifically states for keyboard and mouse functionality. While RikuDesu's WUSB kit uses all the bandwidth available for USB only.

EDIT3: I just found the WR2000 on eBay, and bought it immediately. :lol:
RikuDesu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RikuDesu »

It will work on x64 systems

Don't stray to far, several feet maximum.

There is a software thing that detects what is plugged in and , it shows you the wireless strength of the adapters and what is connected. It will function like a HUB, the only problem is about the data rate (lost data [tracking points]). The Oculus Tracker pretty much takes the full bandwidth, so if you plug both the hydra and the oculus in, both the head tracker and hydra will be too laggy.

The only thing about that unit is I'm not sure if it needs more than 5 volts or something. If you can find some way to get a powered USB inverter (like USB female in to USB female in) you can use it just like the other kit.

There is virtually no latency issues, it's more an issue of lost packets in the data stream (there won't be input lag but rather lost tracked points) if there is too much plugged in.

I have a different version of the Cables Unlimited thing, so let me know if i'm wrong. It's worth a shot. just make sure to look at the power rating when you're splicing cables (in the event you might need something stronger like a DC type thing, it should be at least 10v so you can power the two USB ports [assuming you use both])
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

My setup should be able to feed the adapter.

I have a DC-DC converter connected to a 20Ah battery. It converts 12V to 5V @ 5A. That is connected to a terminal block which currently feeds: .5A to the Rift; 1.5A to the WHDI receiver; and it will use .2A for the WR2000.
https://plus.google.com/114669069534799 ... QXimQUhz6S

Since the Hydra probably uses .5A to power the magnetic core, I could experiment with a powered USB hub. Because, I don't think the WR2000 is able to feed the needed current to the base, since it is designed to use only .2A

Here are the power specs for the WR2000
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6882339249

Still, I first have to get my hands on the WR2000. Let's hope the seller delivers.
RikuDesu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RikuDesu »

Hey cool! Prio VR is actually using almost the same setup!

http://forum.yeitechnology.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=140
MaxPalmer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MaxPalmer »

Fredz wrote:Ok, thanks for the info. This solution doesn't look that bad then. :P

I've searched a bit for other sources for this device (or similar ones) and it seems it's been sold by several vendors under a different name.

Here is a list of what I've found with the lowest price I could find for each :
- Cables Unlimited USB-WR2000 (USB2) : $75.00
- Cables Unlimited Wireless USB (previous version, USB1) : $39.99
- Cables To Go 29571 TruLink Wireless USB (not the same design) : $86.40
- Olidata Wireless-USB-Set : 52,90€ ($72.65)
- Q-Waves Wireless USB Data Kit : £24.99 ($40.71)

I've set up a page there with more information about these devices (drivers, reviews, etc.) and also Wireless video devices :
http://vrwiki.wikispaces.com/DIY+HMD
I have the Q-Waves Wireless USB Data Kit and the ASUS Wavi (that transmits HDMI and USB). Has anyone had any success getting these working under Windows 8. Both seem to require Windows 7 which is a pain in the butt for me!
RikuDesu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RikuDesu »

Yeah, to run the older WUSB devices, you'd either need to rewrite the driver to work with it or use windows 7. I've tried getting it to work with windows 8 by changing the installer checks and driver checks for os versions but it still didn't really work. You'd need to downgrade your system :/
MaxPalmer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MaxPalmer »

I was almost ready to give up on a wireless rift on Windows 8, but I tried a few extra ideas and now have it working on Windows 8.1 with the Rift!

I've got a really neat cable/power set up on the wireless side: one battery pack, the WAVI the Rift and control box, a USB power lead, a 12V power lead and an HDMI lead. I have no idea about latency, but the rift makes me sick no matter what I do (roll on DK2!).

Here's what I did:

First install the WAVI on a Windows 7 system and then copy the Wavi drivers folder from C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository - open the .inf file inside the most recent folder, it should be for the WAVI Once identified the correct folder copy all the files in this folder to your Windows 8 machine.

Next, try to install the WAVI I software on Windows 8.1 (the latest Windows 7 x64 software in my case). When you plug in the WAVI, you should see an issue with a Wireless N device in device manager (no drivers could be found). Look at the properties of this device and then try to update the driver. Browse to the copy of the driver folder from the Windows 7 install. The drivers will then install under the Network adapters node (in my case I now see 4 items in device manager: ASUS WAVI wireless USB adapter, Intel (R) Ethernet Connection I217-V, RangeMax Wireless-N USB Adapter WN111v2, VirtualBox host only ethernet adapter).

Hope this helps someone!
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Brace yourselves, I don't believe there are any commercialy available WHDI adapters working @ 75Hz and 90Hz. So, no wireless DK2 on release. :(
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

DK2 also works at 60Hz, but with full persistence.
MaxPalmer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MaxPalmer »

MaxPalmer wrote:I was almost ready to give up on a wireless rift on Windows 8, but I tried a few extra ideas and now have it working on Windows 8.1 with the Rift!

I've got a really neat cable/power set up on the wireless side: one battery pack, the WAVI the Rift and control box, a USB power lead, a 12V power lead and an HDMI lead. I have no idea about latency, but the rift makes me sick no matter what I do (roll on DK2!).

Here's what I did:

First install the WAVI on a Windows 7 system and then copy the Wavi drivers folder from C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository - open the .inf file inside the most recent folder, it should be for the WAVI Once identified the correct folder copy all the files in this folder to your Windows 8 machine.

Next, try to install the WAVI I software on Windows 8.1 (the latest Windows 7 x64 software in my case). When you plug in the WAVI, you should see an issue with a Wireless N device in device manager (no drivers could be found). Look at the properties of this device and then try to update the driver. Browse to the copy of the driver folder from the Windows 7 install. The drivers will then install under the Network adapters node (in my case I now see 4 items in device manager: ASUS WAVI wireless USB adapter, Intel (R) Ethernet Connection I217-V, RangeMax Wireless-N USB Adapter WN111v2, VirtualBox host only ethernet adapter).

Hope this helps someone!

The wireless range is pants though!
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Fredz wrote:DK2 also works at 60Hz, but with full persistence.
Well, the main feature is LP, so there is no point in going wireless with FP.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Have you guys ever thought of maybe doing a kickstater to make a bunch of these?
It seems a handful of people have done wireless rifts. Maybe make it modular so you can switch it out or switch out the battery pack.
Im sure a nice professional product could be made really fast if the right amount of money is raised!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

I have my own DIY kit, but these guys from Nefes are working on a solution which is/was going to be published in HWTrek. He recommended using retail WHDI kits for video. But no matter what, the problem we're facing now is that there is no wireless solution that can transmit a 1080p @ 75 Hz signal wirelessly. There appears to be no current spec used by the WHDI chipset vendors that allows this mode. So we're stuck at using the DK2 with full persistence.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Yes it seems i have only seen 60 hz or less..
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
bteitler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bteitler »

Has anyone been able to get DK2 to work wireless even at 60Hz? I've tried 4 different products that all work fine with DK1 and none of them work. I'm assuming it is some complexity introduced by the native portrait mode of DK2. Anyone have a work around for this?
RikuDesu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RikuDesu »

because of that gosh darn portrait mode, we'd need a custom HDMI scan rotator that Oculus uses to demo thier things at shows (like the one they used at E3 and Anime Expo) if someone could please start manufacturing them they'd make a lot of money off of us...

Return to “Oculus VR”