What the WHAT?...

LazloTheGreat
One Eyed Hopeful

What the WHAT?...

Post by LazloTheGreat »

Oculus, please have a baby with Avegant...

http://news.cnet.com/1606-2_3-50156727.html
MyCrtFellOnMe
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: What the WHAT?...

Post by MyCrtFellOnMe »

I wonder what the FOV is on it... I doesn't seem like it would do much to isolate peripheral vision. Interesting nonetheless!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

FOV is like 45 degrees. Might be cool, but not for immersive VR.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

They haven't described their tech in any detail, but from the magical mumbo jumbo they talk about, wouldn't it be relatively easy to scale up the image with some bigger lenses and modifications to the way it scans/renders the image?
Lookforyourhands
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Lookforyourhands »

Yeah come on guys don't downplay this. It's exactly the tech. Oculus should use for their consumer version.

As if there's not a way to increase the FOV!!!! There has to be..

Oculus, use some of that damn money you got and buy these guy out ! haha :D
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

What IS the tech exactly? Is it just a DMD based HMD, or is it a true retinal laser scanner?

When they say stuff like 'it projects light into your eyes', I really dont see how that differs from ANY display. Everything we see involves light being projected into our eyes. I guess the difference is the no screen bit?

It seems from the video that the real feature is this uses reflective technology, and doesn't have a conventional screen - which could be good. May be able to make things much smaller this way, since i imagine the screen wont be limiting shrinking the screen down.

The details are very sparse currently unfortunately. I agree with CyberReality that without a higher FOV, its no use for immersive VR.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Came across a nice article

http://m.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/av ... -steroids/

From what mentioned here in preview like 'advance micro mirror array' and 'images being generated by reflected rather then emitted light' suggests this glasses may be nothing other then 'set of super pico DLP projectors studed in specs' to project display in your iris rather then projecting on screen, dlp chip may be enlighted with SMDs, also the heat went on specs sides ,thickness of frame and back side of PCB visible through transparent shell along with selection of words suggested this :idea:

BTW this is my wildguess,if it turnout to be true I won't be amazed as in past when i I read review of Epson Moverio point at time this idea came to my mind too. but I don't have deep technical knowldege and RnD backers. so let's see what this thing turn out to be.this will be revolution if all turn out well executed as we have software end ready but they got to be same presize as little movement will cause scene out of vision moreover there are hell many ipds we are talking about to be taken care of, even ipd adjusting system has to be strong enough to not to get loose over short time use. But good implementation must say if all go well.

Return to “Oculus VR”