http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nft4IxNIbj0

http://www.animazoo.com/content/igs-glove
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: IGS Glove

Post by colocolo »

how cheap can this possibly be?......
most cheapest variant to think of only 22 IMU for 2$....44.....->100$
wouldnt bending sensors be much cheaper and convenient?
anyway, nice that finger tracking is coming along.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I'd expect much more expensive prices. This looks like its designed for those needing accuracy.
Bend sensors etc don't really read the joint angles etc, they just approximate them - this looks like it accurately models fingers, so supports side/side movement of fingers etc. Much more sophisticated.

Its kinda like a PrioVR for the hand from the sounds of it.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

WiredEarp wrote:I'd expect much more expensive prices. This looks like its designed for those needing accuracy.
Bend sensors etc don't really read the joint angles etc, they just approximate them - this looks like it accurately models fingers, so supports side/side movement of fingers etc. Much more sophisticated.

Its kinda like a PrioVR for the hand from the sounds of it.
the question would be: do we need that accuracy, since we dont feel any objects, say pushing a button or so.
yeah, sure thats anyway the ultimate goal, but for now i would be pleased by a simple,very cheap only-grab input device without pushing a button on a control or so.
perhaps one IMU on the index finger (for pushing button, pointing)and a bend sensor to detect grabbing. i mean VR needs a Input device(hand should be the most natural) thats cheap and can be implemented in games next year already and not in 3,4 years.
for what do i need thousands of joints if i cant interact with my bare hand.... :o
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

According to the website the primary target is ppl doing mocap, so then it makes sense to have high accuracy.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

These are expensive bits of kit.

A single glove is £16k (UKP) for wired and £22K (UKP) for wireless.

The body suits without the gloves are from $23k (USD) for a 15 sensor wired suit with an 18 sensor wireless @ $48k (USD)

Software is extra.
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

Haven't seen accuracy like this before, so the price fits. And the latency is superb! Good to know it's possible and potentially "consumerized" somewhere alone the line. Ideally combining that with haptic texture vibration throughout, not to mention Cyber-Glove-like resistance and simulated weight. Extremely expensive, but no reason it couldn't work today. Wow.

For the short term, Sixasis and Tactical Haptics have argued that when playing modern games your hands aren't usually empty, and actual object manipulation is done through some weird telekinesis. Some outliers like Penumbra/Amnesia allow for direct opening of doors and flipping of switches which is way more immerse for VR than pressing x to win, and simple enough for motion controls to do well. So gloves may detract from the experience of holding a tool or weapon without resistance. Although the more games become less about blowing stuff up and more about problem solving with and without tools and especially non-verbal communication, gloves would make a world of difference.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

For those prices V8Griff, I suggest the PrioVR guys should look at this as their next thing ;)

Mocap has traditionally been expensive, but I think that we will see a big boom in lower cost 'good enough' mocap with the Rifts popularity.

@ colocolo: thats for VR - VR input devices can be much less complex than motion capture. I understand where you are coming from, for example stuff like side to side movement of fingers, or even individual joint sensing, is not really required - the bends can be approximated etc. I personally think you'd want the IMU on the back of the hand, not the finger, and just use a bend sensor for the finger.

One of the most important things for immersion is being able to hold your hand in front of you and wiggle your fingers. It doesn't matter so much if the fingers dont bend side/side or aren't 100% accurate.

If you want a cheap glove, P5 gloves are low cost and have 5 bend sensors already. You just need to mount a decent tracker to the back. I'd suggest Hydra...
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

@ WiredEarp:
the P5 seems to be very decent for this purpose. and a STEM on the back...would be ideal.
it would be kind of nice to have your hands free, first for comfort, second for grabbing a STEM gun.
if STEM gun overall tracking/aiming would be precise enough? one could imagine cheap plastic gun doubles
(perhaps even 3D printed for some) on which you only have to mount your STEM - haptic/touch feedback included if you imagine holding the gun to your cheek bone for iron sight.
EDIT: it could be a problem to hold a gun to a cheekbone since the Rift now is on your head.... :roll:
anyone tested it?
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

WiredEarp wrote:For those prices V8Griff, I suggest the PrioVR guys should look at this as their next thing ;)

I've done a comparison between the solutions offered by Animazoo/IGS and YEI (The guys behind PrioVR) and their full suit is 10% of the price of the Animazoo offering and I can see little or no difference in accuracy or latency. The YEI offering also includes software and drivers which appears to be extra with the Animazoo. I can only suggest that the Lycra suit is the expensive part ;)

So a YEI full body suit with one of these might be a good alternative 5DT Data Glove
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

@ colocolo: If you use the P5 glove, you can easily use it with guns etc as well - it doesn't prevent you using other objects with that hand.

I imagine you are correct and that there will be all sorts of devices that use the STEM like this, similar to the way there are all those Wiimote guns etc...
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Hah, you guys think that a glove loaded with IMUs is good?

Take a look at this one powered by 6dof electromagnetic trackers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhi4ssWPU8Q
*note: finger pose acquired by optical fibers

Return to “Oculus VR”