RIFTED HAWKEN IS HERE!!! WOOOOOOOOU \o/

shiva
Cross Eyed!

RIFTED HAWKEN IS HERE!!! WOOOOOOOOU \o/

Post by shiva »

One year in the delay but this is THE game that I was waiting to play in the Rift!! It's visceral, brutal, the maps are gigantic and you can FLY and sh*t
The next update called Ascension will be playable in two days and includes Rift support, I just came in my pants and am not ashamed.
We're pleased to announce that this update will include alpha level Oculus Rift support! This feature is very much still in development, and we're looking forward to hearing your feedback!
https://community.playhawken.com/topic/ ... tch-notes/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u514PkETgY

Also, badass new jungle map. Oh yeah. That's the stuff.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: RIFTED HAWKEN IS HERE!!! WOOOOOOOOU \o/

Post by virror »

That jungle map looks like a really cool map to experience in the rift : )
mickman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mickman »

just started the DL.

I'm a bit blown away that Hawken still only supports windows... no prob. since I have Boot Camp Win. 7 anyways
note: my call name is " MICKMECH "

This update will not be available until the 5th Sept. so still a couple of days to wait....
[EDIT] patch now delayed till 10th Sept.
Last edited by mickman on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
whelanweb
Cross Eyed!

Post by whelanweb »

I've been waiting for this.

I'll review once I get to play it for a couple of days and post back here.
shiva
Cross Eyed!

Post by shiva »

yup, this is gonna be awesome as hell, can't wait to explore that badass jungle map in my mech
not sure that playing this in the rift will give us a competitive advantage though, pretty sure the first games postpatch will see a sh*tload of mechs just sitting around and looking at the scenery while rockets fly in their contemplative faces :mrgreen:
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Will be really interesting to see if the rift is a pro or con when it comes down to the actual competitive performance : )
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

I find it interesting howeven with the power off my rift will send control signals to Hawken. I had to unplug the usb in order to play./
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

blazespinnaker wrote:I find it interesting howeven with the power off my rift will send control signals to Hawken. I had to unplug the usb in order to play./
The power button on the control box only powers of the display, the tracker is being powered to 100% by the mini usb port on control box.
So It is never truly powered of until you unplug that mini usb cable.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
mickman

Post by mickman »

HAWKEN Patch is delayed until the 10th Sept. :(

They've run into a few problems BUT they also say....
In order to ensure the success of this test, we will be granting all pilots temporary access to the current HAWKEN: Ascension build.
So this weekend Hawken will be going through a testing period ... + they'll be providing bonus XP for those who take part .. very cool.

note: If you wish to test Hawken this weekend , make sure you have e-mail notifications turned on in your profile settings.... this will allow allow Hawken admin to add you to the testing period. I believe this will have Oculus support as they're testing of the Ascension patch on their servers.

MickMech out !!!!
Image Image

blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

I found it was a little overwhelming for my new computer.

Secondlife has higher FPS...
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
shiva
Cross Eyed!

Post by shiva »

Yeah, that delays sucks :p
Anyone playing with a xbox360 controller btw? I wanted to switch from KB to gamepad but it doesnt work, it's recognized fine in the keybindings options, the game sees it and lets me assign each button, but it doesn't work when I launch a game, only keyboard and mouse are working :?:
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Would never try to play this game with a pad : p
shiva
Cross Eyed!

Post by shiva »

Yeah, KB&mouse has always been 20 times more precise than any gamepad ever, but I simply can't use those when my head is in the Rift and Im blind as a bat :mrgreen:
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Haha, you do have a point there : )
I will probably try to learn to use the kkeyboard anyway, not many keys except for wasd
mickman

Post by mickman »

So I downloaded the Ascension Patch.. Played a few death Matches... there's no Oculus Rift Support :(

just a single grayed out button " Oculus Rift Aiming " in settings

This game is going to be damn hard to play without x-Box controller.

Pity really ....
Image Image

Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Post by Leahy »

One solution instead of using an xbox controller is to use a hydra like one with the right analog stick emulating the mouse for large movements and the motion control added for fine adjustment of the mouse. It takes a little tweaking to get in your comfort zone but I am slowing getting to prefer it over the mouse/keyboard. The problem I have yet to figure out is analog walking which should be entirely possible yet not insofar as much as I've figured out with Motioncreator
shiva
Cross Eyed!

Post by shiva »

mickman wrote:So I downloaded the Ascension Patch.. Played a few death Matches... there's no Oculus Rift Support :(
Yeah, I guess we have to wait for the 10 september to really get the Rift support :evil:
Do you also have trouble making it work with an xbox controller? What's strange is that the first time I played Hawken, I also tried it with the gamepad, and it worked no problem.
Now it's a few months later since I last played, and I dunno, maybe they changed something in the last updates, but no luck so far with the xbox controller, I'm trying to figure it out with the support team
angrybob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by angrybob »

mickman wrote:So I downloaded the Ascension Patch.. Played a few death Matches... there's no Oculus Rift Support :(

Pity really ....
Someone on the reddit thread posted instructions for getting it working: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... ly/cc393u4

But I warn you, it's not great yet. The menus are impossible to read, the in-game HUD elements are all screwed up, and yaw drifts like a mofo with no recenter option. Seems like it could be cool when they finish support though.

My XBox gamepad seems to work pretty well actually, except I can't hover. Weird. edit: OK I'm an idiot, rebinding the hover button fixes this .
mickman

Post by mickman »

good news regarding the x-box controller :)

I also have the Razer Hydra so'll give it a try later in the day.

I only played Hawken for approx. one hour last night & I must admit its one hard game to pick up using keyboard input.
I'd be a mess using keyboard + O.R

I'm guessing there must be a few players with flightstick style controllers. This could be the better method.

Office Chair Mech Sim:
I wonder if its possible to mount the Razer Hydra controllers to each arm of an office chair.
A simple cheap office chair that swivels left / right & slightly pitches up & down.

I'd love to add actuators etc... but at this early stage of the game I'm happy with simply pushing with my feet.

Simple cheap & effective....
Image Image

virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Very cool idea, but i guess it will be a bit hard with the big turns. But would be cool to try : )
mickman

Post by mickman »

yeah... its definitely not an attempt to create a realistic authentic mech sim, more a simple way to add a sense of "Mechness" to a game.
Normally when you first begin to rotate or move in any direction there's that slight jolting in the opposite direction as the turret movement begins. similar to the typical signature gait of most large Mech's.... the upper limbs & torso sway slightly countering the movement.

Occasionally while playing Doom or similar games that require walking/running I simply shuffle my feet while seated... gives a slight feeling of walking... not quite up to par with the Omni but close enough & its free ;)

I sure hope we get to run Hawken in Oculus mode real soon... Mech sims are well suited for V.R. but I must admit, Hawken is a fast paced game & many of these quick motion games promote motion sickness in the Rift. I was really hoping that Hawken would be slightly more realistic with slower moving Mech's ... don;t get me wrong I love the graphics & features of each Mech..... but the game's more geared towards fast paced arcade death matches . Perhaps eventually there'll be an option to slow the kinematic movement of each Mech down & have special matches dedicated to O.R users only.
Image Image

Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

So this is noa about 16 hours in the future :)
I need to bring my rift to someone who has a good enough computer to play this :) (I temporarily only have a laptop :( )
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

wanted to try it on my rift...
Can't even get the game to install...the installer app basically does nothing. Seems to work for a while judging by the blue circle pointer...then nothing?
Anybody has any idea why this is happening???
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

They are currently updating the game with the current patch so most systems are down.
Wait until they are done and try again, check their webpage for announcement.
shiva
Cross Eyed!

Post by shiva »

There's already some infos on the oculus dev forums about how to make it look better with the Rift, here they are just in case the Rift implementation still looks broken with the official patch when it gets there:

Enable OR mode:
a) run it in extended mode, not duplicate monitor mode.
b) find the file HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping.exe, make a shortcut to it, and add a -vr to it
Better cockpit view and targeting:
In defaultengine.ini add a new line in [Engine.Stereo3D]
EyeDistance = 0.0315 (that's for 63ipd, 0.032 is 64ipd. For me this helped with the size of the cockpit immensely)

[Engine.Oculus]
bUseDotCrosshair=True
CrosshairSize=20.00000 (this gives you a blue circle target in 3d space)

you can also adjust CrosshairMinDistance to push it further out in space if you wish:
[HawkenGame.R_Oculus]
bShowVisorInRift=false
Oversampling the resolution to make it look better:
edit the DefaultSystemSettings.ini file and change:
ScreenPercentage=100.0 to 150 or 200.
seems like it introduces a UI bug, but you can still get in game by double clicking the gametype.
How to disable the HUD:
in DefaultEngine.ini under [Engine.Oculus]
bEnableHud=False;
To remove the double crosshair:
First look here to set the - vr parameter:
https://community.playhawken.com/topic/ ... rift-help/
Its important to play with the extended monitor setup - dont use the cloned!

Go in defaultengine.ini ( \MeteorEntertainment\HawkenAdvanceBattalion\InstalledHawkenFiles\HawkenGame\Config\ )
and change the settings in this way:

[Engine.Oculus]
bUseDotCrosshair=True
CrosshairSize=20.00000

[HawkenGame.R_Oculus]
bShowVisorInRift=false
Last edited by shiva on Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Is this the game that was used to demo pre dev kit gaffer tape HMD and was plastered all over the Rift Kickstarter? It has sure come a long way :roll:
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
mickman

Post by mickman »

Can't believe the Hawken servers are still down.

Feels like an eternity :(
Image Image

Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Okta wrote:Is this the game that was used to demo pre dev kit gaffer tape HMD and was plastered all over the Rift Kickstarter? It has sure come a long way :roll:
Tell me about it. I got into this game in the first place because of its promised rift support. Started playing it in January and kinda got a little bored with it, though it is a fun game. I finally tried the Ascension trial over last weekend and FINALLY got it to work (Extended wasn't working for me until I realized I had to physically disconnect my other secondary monitor, even though it was already disabled) and I couldn't believe they hadn't even gotten the hud working. I've kinda gone full circle with these guys from excitement to "well, let's give them time to properly intergrate the rift" to "flippin' seriously? has anyone actually been working on rift integration this whole time or just new mech armor flair?"

C'mon Hawken

mickman

Post by mickman »

I hear ya.... I was also under the impression Hawken would debut for the Rift within a month or two of the Dev. Kit's release but so far, nothing...

It's going to be real interesting to see what's actually available with this Ascension Patch.. I'm not holding my breath on this one as I'm starting to think they simply jumped on the back of Oculus Rift throwing the name around to gain a little exposure to their game.

we shall see, judgment day is nigh..... :)
Image Image

Lark
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lark »

Patch is online and does not automatically enable a stereo warped image nor is there a menu option that I saw. It looks like its the same as the test version of the patch.
che
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by che »

So, i played the last patch just now and i must say.Total crap!!!
Cmon, 1 year after they said it would be rifted and they cant figure out the drift?
I was upside down and seconds later going backwards, and tried unpluging the rift usb and when i plugged it back the screen went nuts.
The crosshair is all screwed up.
REally,?Thats what you can do 1 year after that banner on the front page of the oculus kickstart campain? Not mentioning the Rift itself with that (worse then a 1990 vga monitor) screen.Total crap also.
I feel sorry for those guys that bought the rift for some fun, not the developers thenselves, expecting at least some decent games to play with it like Doom?!Hawken?!
What a joke.
Unity sdk is much better implemented.

BTW, i also was VERY disapointed with the awesome new crap LEAP motion.
Im gonna stay away from new technology for a while until someone serious makes a decent review saying actually that the new thing actually does what it was suposed to do.
mickman

Post by mickman »

Well I just tried the " Oculus Support " in the latest Hawken release "ascension "

What a load of crap.... I laughed so hard at how stupid they've been over the past year making so many promises & now they deliver this crap....
It's just such a shame they carry on making statements that hype the game up and follow through with pure crap...

Please prove me wrong & update that patch to have better Oculus support than that piece of shiet...
Image Image

Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Here's something that just boggles my mind and shows they have only put marginal effort into this. Part of this new patch, and the naming is just a smack in the loving face, is the VR trainer. You suck at hawken? No problem, get better with the tutorial and a fight against bots. However, when you try the tutorial, the thing CALLED VR TRAINING FOR THE SWEET BABY JEEEBUS"S SAKE - the tutorial information is not there. I found you could still pass through the info options by hitting spacebar because I'd tried the tutorial in 2d earlier. But I hadn't finished it. Hawken actually turned into an interesting guessing game where I had to figure out what the tutorial level was trying to teach me and how to perform what it wanted to get to the next layer of training, all the while blind to parts of the hud etc.

The fact that they spent so much time adding these offline elements, AND FRIGGING NAMED IN VR TRAINING, and they add it to the patch that includes rift support and the experience IN the rift is that piss poor?

At least I see why they call it "alpha" support. Maybe they just think the whole experience is crap until we get a higher rez consumer rift? In any event, it's a huge let down for now.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

It seems Hawken is just trying to drum up support by claiming it would have Rift support. I don't really see any excuse for there not being decent support by NOW.
They have had ages to implement it, its just obviously not a priority for them. Funny, since they have probably done ok out of CLAIMING to have this support.

@ che: I haven't been too happy with my Leap experiences either yet. I don't think i'll be backing any more companies that are unproven. Sixense at least have been around for a while, so I will have no problem backing the STEM system.
shiva
Cross Eyed!

Post by shiva »

Yeah thats a f*cking shame
F*ck all this nonsense, I'm going back to Half Life
che
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by che »

Okay, i took my pills.Its nice to see im not the only one flipping out with all this crap.
D3n
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by D3n »

Yeah, it's pretty lame (to put it mildly) to benefit from free publicity for your game and then not deliver.
Aldous
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Aldous »

what a colossal mess up.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Just FYI: the Rift support is still being worked on and should be improved with a future patch.
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

After applying the settings posted above I've had a lot of fun with this game! I'll continue to play as is but I cannot wait for future Rift updates :)

Now if there was only a way to enlarge the menu fonts and stop the Cockpit texture popping I'd be very happy!

I haven't seen many games get Rift implementation spot on just yet, HL2 is just too fast to play with a keyboard or game pad with a Rift, Strike Suit Zero completely breaks if you try and use flight sticks and pedals in Rift mode, so overall I do not think Hawken is that bad after a few ini tweaks. Lunar Flight has to be one of the best for Rift support thus far.
Last edited by CylonSurfer on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Oculus VR”