how to get vsync on RIFT, not monitor???

Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

how to get vsync on RIFT, not monitor???

Post by Mattijs »

This is about the same discussion as the DVI splitter or NO DVI splitter...

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... 3066#p2259

...where i learned that it should indeed be possible to get the rift to have the sync instead of the main monitor it is duplicating with.

I have tried putting it in the nr1 position on the gpu etc...but i can't get the vsync to sync to the rift...No tearing and solid 60fps on the monitor, very predictable (positionwise) creeping tear on the rift.

Does anybody know the procedure to let the nvidia gpu know the rift is the dominant monitor in the duplicating scheme. There isn't such a thing anymore as a Nr1 monitor in duplication mode so i thought the first dvi connector would be it...but it isn't.

I know some might say leave vsync off altogether...i can't...it's so annoying. Only in situations like vireio where the injection of the head movement gets a significant latency boost with rising framerate (or so it seems)...then i'll turn it off but i have the feeling that the tracking in unity and udk doesn't benefit. The sole benefit then would be to have the bottom of the rift screen display more current information than the top of the sreen because of the tear(s). Not worth it imo.
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Re: how to get vsync on RIFT, not monitor???

Post by Lilwolf »

I have mine setup as cloned, but with the RIFT as the primary display and I don't get any tearing...

Note: I DO get tearing when I play a game outside of the rift. Or watch videos outside the rift.
Note2: I don't use VSync, but haven't had any tearing issues on the rift

but it only takes a second to switch back/forth if I need.

NVidia Control Panel
Extend Display
Make Primary on display you want
Clone with (1)
Apply

The apply only at the end is important. Otherwise I've had the control panel show up on the rift alone, and had to take the eye pieces out so I could drag the control panel into my main monitor so I could change the settings.
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

Lilwolf wrote:I have mine setup as cloned, but with the RIFT as the primary display and I don't get any tearing...

Note: I DO get tearing when I play a game outside of the rift. Or watch videos outside the rift.

NVidia Control Panel
Extend Display
Clone with (1)
Apply

The apply only at the end is important. Otherwise I've had the control panel show up on the rift alone, and had to take the eye pieces out so I could drag the control panel into my main monitor so I could change the settings.
If you don't use vsync...it kind of implies you must have tearing. Maybe you have a fast GPU and you're framerate is that high that you get multiple tears per frame which makes every tear very minimal and maybe imperceivable to you OR you have vsync forced somewhere by mistake and have succeeded in getting it to sync with the dvi connected to the rift (= my goal). Either way...no vsync and no tearing is impossible imo
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

Agreed.

The VSync should now be according to the Rift as it's the primary display.

I just haven't found a huge need to do it and haven't had tearing issues after I did the change. (btw, I'm running a quad core 2.66ghz c2 processor with a nvidia 560... not a super powerhouse anymore, was decent a few years ago)
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

Lilwolf wrote:I have mine setup as cloned, but with the RIFT as the primary display and I don't get any tearing...

NVidia Control Panel
Extend Display
Clone with (1)
Apply

I will try this though...and see if it is different from what i do...i have a feeling though that when the monitor is the primary and the desktop gets extended...you HAVE to apply first to even be able to assign the rift as the primary.
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

Lilwolf wrote:Agreed.

The VSync should now be according to the Rift as it's the primary display.

I just haven't found a huge need to do it and haven't had tearing issues after I did the change. (btw, I'm running a quad core 2.66ghz c2 processor with a nvidia 560... not a super powerhouse anymore, was decent a few years ago)
I have an I5 3.4ghz and a gtx480...not the powerhouse it used to be...but significantly more grunt i think than a 560.
I just bought lunar flight on steam...there the problem was really obvious because of the cockpit beams running vertically.
I noticed it too very much when i just got my rift in tuscany... I might have used it for an extended period without vsync maybe and turning it back on for lunar flight made it so apparent that i really want to get it sorted and syncing on the right screen.

I hope your procedure gets it that way but as i said...i have a feeling my drivers may be newer or something and my nvidia properties thing will not allow your procedure.
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

i couldn't get the vsync to work properly...even with the rift as the primary screen before you duplicate them.

The only way to reliably have good vsync is extending the desktop and using -adapter 1 for unity games and demos after the exe with a .bat file
or with a shortcut. I haven't actually found the difference between exe's shortcuts denoted in the pointer with "someexe.exe" or without.
When the '' '' aren't there you can't add -adapter 1 behind the shortcut. Weird. Managed to get them all working though.

Source engine goes to rift always so that's good. Now i have to find out how to get udk working and
overclock the heck out of my rift screen for 71hz vsynced goodness :)
Popopinsel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Popopinsel »

In Clone Mode there is no primary or secondary display since they get cloned to act like one display.

In Extended Mode however, you need to make the Rift your primary display so it shows the Windows start button. In this mode VSync will work. Of course you have to make sure it's not disabled via your driver's control panel but activated through it or the game itself.

Unfortunately it's a mess to work with the Rift as the primary display since applications will generally open up on the primary display. But you can bring up the applications context menu by right-clicking its taskbar preview and choose Move. Now push an arrow key on your keyboard once. After that you can move the application to your secondary display by just moving your mouse (no clicking required).
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Popopinsel wrote:In Clone Mode there is no primary or secondary display since they get cloned to act like one display.
No. There is still a "clone from" or "clone source" option - the equivalent of the 'primary display' - which dictates which display the others should be cloned from. It is important that the Rift is set to be the clone source.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

TheHolyChicken wrote:
Popopinsel wrote:In Clone Mode there is no primary or secondary display since they get cloned to act like one display.
No. There is still a "clone from" or "clone source" option - the equivalent of the 'primary display' - which dictates which display the others should be cloned from. It is important that the Rift is set to be the clone source.
where???
I really really can't find it!

The extended mode with -adapter 1 (for unity - Source engine knows where to put the content) does work very well though and when full screen is chosen there isn't supposed to be an added latency according to https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... =20&t=1758.
Only windowed content shown on the extended desktop monitor will suffer a 10 ms penalty. I can't get half life 2 to go full screen though when i'm not duplicating...
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

With the Linux NVIDIA driver there is an environment variable that can be used to control whether swaps are synchronized to a display device's vertical refresh. Another variable can specify to which display device OpenGL should sync.

See 11C. VBLANK SYNCING :
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux ... README.txt
The __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK (boolean) environment variable can be used to control whether swaps are synchronized to a display device's vertical refresh.

o Setting __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0 allows glXSwapBuffers to swap without waiting for vblank.

o Setting __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1 forces glXSwapBuffers to synchronize with the vertical blanking period. This is the default behavior.

When sync to vblank is enabled with TwinView, OpenGL can only sync to one of the display devices; this may cause tearing corruption on the display device to which OpenGL is not syncing.

You can use the environment variable __GL_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE to specify to which display device OpenGL should sync. You should set this environment variable to the name of a display device; for example "CRT-1".
Maybe such environment variables are available as well on MS Windows for NVIDIA GPUs ?
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

I've actually just settled with the fact that in the long run i''l buy a dvi splitter and for now i windowskey-p so that the rift is the only monitor once in the game (requires going back to the desktop though..far from ideal...but does guarantee smooth vsync )
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

Mattijs wrote:
TheHolyChicken wrote:
where???
I really really can't find it!
At least with the Nvidia control panel you can specify which display should be used as the "clone source" when cloning.

I tested it and it seems to work exactly as desired. When I clone my desktop to both Rift and Sony monitor and I set my Rift as the "clone source", I can run a game with v-sync and the Rift has no tearing while the Sony does. If I set the Sony to the clone source, the Rift gets tearing and the Sony doesn't.

See attached screenshot for where this is set for Nvidia.

Apparently with ATI in catalyst, under desktop management, you can right click the screen for Rift DK and select 'preferred screen'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

At least with the Nvidia control panel you can specify which display should be used as the "clone source" when cloning.

I tested it and it seems to work exactly as desired. When I clone my desktop to both Rift and Sony monitor and I set my Rift as the "clone source", I can run a game with v-sync and the Rift has no tearing while the Sony does. If I set the Sony to the clone source, the Rift gets tearing and the Sony doesn't.

See attached screenshot for where this is set for Nvidia.

Apparently with ATI in catalyst, under desktop management, you can right click the screen for Rift DK and select 'preferred screen'.

By golly...you are right...it works on my machine at work...i hope it works back at home.
Never figured out how to do this.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Nice fix tmek.

Return to “Oculus VR”