Hydra Cover Shooter - VR FPS (Updated to v0.2)

Teddy0
One Eyed Hopeful

Hydra Cover Shooter - VR FPS (Updated to v0.2)

Post by Teddy0 »

Hello Rifters,

Here's my latest game for the Oculus Rift and Razer Hydra;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4PB1NttxQ8

Download v0.2 here: https://mega.co.nz/#!FQp3UawL!JmAiOSoc3 ... T62vWeTHfM

It's using the control scheme from my HydraDeck Demo. It has position tracking for your body (via a Hydra attached to your chest) which allows you to take cover behind columns and duck behind boxes to avoid the incoming enemy fire. The enemies are robots with plasma rifles who lay down some serious suppressing fire. To survive, you'll need to pop up from behind cover and take your shots, or blind fire around corners and hope to hit them.

The position tracking adds a tonne to the immersion of being in a virtual world. Please be careful when playing this demo, lots of people try to support themselves on the crates when they try to stand up or when leaning up against a column, but find there is nothing there!

Just like my last HydraDeck demo, players seem to get very little simulation sickness from this demo. If you do feel any, I'd love to hear from you.

As I mentioned in the video, I'm planning to release the source code and UDK level assets soon, so if anyone is interested in building some of their own levels for this I'd be glad to include them in the next versions.

v0.2 changelist
-Changed run button to joystick button (push the joystick in)
-Rewrote body tracking rotation, it will now work with the Left Hydra attached anywhere on your chest or back, facing in any direction
-Improved body tracking when leaning to the side or bending over, should match up much better
-Added new calibration step to calculate Hydra Base height (touch the floor)
-Added new calibration step to calculate offset from chest to neck/head (touch back of your neck)
-Added new Turtle enemy
-Added new Thug enemy
-Added new bullet impact effect to give you better feedback when you miss (thanks JamesMcCrae!)
-Added reload to the gun when you press rb (bumper button) NOTE: currently disabled. Turn it on in the config files to test it out
-Tweaked bots tracking of the player to be slightly less aggressive
-Tweaked bots movement speed to be faster, so they can dash between cover
-Reduced the size of the player's hitbox to more closely match your head size
-Improved positional tracking of player's gun
-Improved framerate by reducing the ScreenPercentage default value to 150
Last edited by Teddy0 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Hydra Cover Shooter - Physically based VR FPS

Post by cybereality »

Looks great, man!
IGameArt
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by IGameArt »

Edit: Fixed my issue.

This looks to be great fun. Too bad my hydra is in storage or i'd be shooting some bots :P
Last edited by IGameArt on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

Teddy, this is a lot of fun! I need to find a better way to hook my hydra to my chest, because sometimes my forward orientation gets turned alittle.... I also need to find a way to not be all tangled in cords lolol, this is insanly fun... ducking behind my desk, poping up and blasting robots! Can't wait to make some videos to promote this!
play2lose
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by play2lose »

Saw that you made the HydraDeck demo and instantly hit download.

The HydraDeck demo is probably the only demo I've tried where I FEEL like I'm there, not just see that I'm there. Although I did walk around that castle for an hour and couldn't find the 20 orbs :( lol Can't wait to try this demo out!
eshan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by eshan »

Very nice! Similar train of thought to my own quick demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko5OdLE2Msw but obviously taken much further.

Your control scheme is interesting. Say your torso faces north, but you are looking to the east and pointing the gun to the east to deal with some flanking enemy. While in this orientation, if you push "forward" on the stick in a relative sense (which is east in an absolute sense), will that move you to the north (in the direction of your torso)?

Of course, the problem with wires still remains at the moment, but that's not your fault. :-)
Teddy0
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teddy0 »

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!
eshan wrote:Very nice! Similar train of thought to my own quick demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko5OdLE2Msw but obviously taken much further.
Great minds think alike! If you're interested in seeing my source code, I'd be happy to share it with you. Just PM me!
eshan wrote:Your control scheme is interesting. Say your torso faces north, but you are looking to the east and pointing the gun to the east to deal with some flanking enemy. While in this orientation, if you push "forward" on the stick in a relative sense (which is east in an absolute sense), will that move you to the north (in the direction of your torso)?
Correct, it will move you to the north. I tried it both ways, and this one felt the most natural. I think there is a weird preconception of how a joystick will respond which is conditioned from years of gaming. I wonder which type a non gamer would prefer?
eshan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by eshan »

Correct, it will move you to the north. I tried it both ways, and this one felt the most natural. I think there is a weird preconception of how a joystick will respond which is conditioned from years of gaming.
It's a tough problem. That's why, for now, I picked a genre that didn't even require movement!
I wonder which type a non gamer would prefer?
Probably no joystick at all, but I'm not sure what the alternative is.
Xemakon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Xemakon »

What height do you recommend positioning the base station at?
Teddy0
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teddy0 »

Xemakon wrote:What height do you recommend positioning the base station at?
I have mine on my desk, which is about 70 cm off the ground. If you have yours at a different height, you can adjust it in an .ini file. Full details are in the Readme.txt
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

I made a strap to hook the hydra to my chest (Actually my girlfriend made it for me) and after changing the height of my desk, and distance from my left hydra to my eyes in the confige file, I find the game a lot better. The only thing is sometimes I feel like the gun isn't where my actual hand is, I try moving the base around and get it alittle better, but not sure what I can do to improve this. Teddy, does the gun seem to line up well for you?
Teddy0
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teddy0 »

The gun mostly matches up, but I find the further away from the Hydra Base you get, it gets less accurate. That's why I put the laser sight on it in the end, originally I was only using the iron sights but it got too hard to aim.

Also, check if the Oculus has drifted out of calibration by looking down at your feet. The black arrow shows the direction you body is facing. If it gets out, just look straight ahead and press the start button on the right Hydra
garagebattle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by garagebattle »

Best demo so far. Actually feel like you're there.

Issues:

Drift
Hand isnt where my hand 'is'
Why do we need to point both hydras at the base when one should be on our chest?
Can you offer a 1,2,3,4 on calibration steps
Hitting the recalibrate button on the right controller doesnt put the hand back correctly

Otherwise brilliant.
Teddy0
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teddy0 »

garagebattle wrote:Best demo so far. Actually feel like you're there.

Issues:

Drift
Hand isnt where my hand 'is'
Why do we need to point both hydras at the base when one should be on our chest?
Can you offer a 1,2,3,4 on calibration steps
Hitting the recalibrate button on the right controller doesnt put the hand back correctly

I'm working on the hand drift to see if there's much I can do, but I suspect some of it is due to inaccuracies in the Hydra itself. I'll keep you posted.

The pointing the hydras at the base is part of the hydra sdk, it enables the hemisphere tracking. This allows it to get correct positions if you move below the hydra base (e.g. under you desk, etc)

The recalibrate button on the right hydra just matches up the Oculus's rotation with your bodies rotation from the hydra. So when you do it, make sure you're standing up straight and looking forwards
Teddy0
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Hydra Cover Shooter - VR FPS (Updated to v0.2)

Post by Teddy0 »

I've just uploaded v0.2, you can download it here;
https://mega.co.nz/#!FQp3UawL!JmAiOSoc3 ... T62vWeTHfM

I've made some changes to the calibration which should fix some people not being able to play it properly and improve the tracking for everyone. There's also a few new enemies and some tweaks to AI. Let me know how you like the Turtles ;-)

Here's the full changelist;
v0.2
-Changed run button to joystick button (push the joystick in)
-Rewrote body tracking rotation, it will now work with the Left Hydra attached anywhere on your chest or back, facing in any direction
-Improved body tracking when leaning to the side or bending over, should match up much better
-Added new calibration step to calculate Hydra Base height (touch the floor)
-Added new calibration step to calculate offset from chest to neck/head (touch back of your neck)
-Added new Turtle enemy
-Added new Thug enemy
-Added new bullet impact effect to give you better feedback when you miss (thanks JamesMcCrae!)
-Added reload to the gun when you press rb (bumper button) NOTE: currently disabled. Turn it on in the config files to test it out
-Tweaked bots tracking of the player to be slightly less aggressive
-Tweaked bots movement speed to be faster, so they can dash between cover
-Reduced the size of the player's hitbox to more closely match your head size
-Improved positional tracking of player's gun
-Improved framerate by reducing the ScreenPercentage default value to 150
garagebattle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by garagebattle »

Brilliant! I made suggestions on the Oculus forum for you. I want to throw money at the screen to keep you working on these.
Trabbi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Trabbi »

Looks really great!

Is it possible to use the Razer Hydra for positional and headtracking at the same time?
I don't have my rift yet, but I have a Razer Hydra and a Sony HMZ-T1.

I would just like to get a taste of how headtracking and positional tracking feels like, never used any tracking before
Teddy0
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teddy0 »

garagebattle wrote:Brilliant! I made suggestions on the Oculus forum for you. I want to throw money at the screen to keep you working on these.
Thanks! I'm hoping a few other people will download the editor and make some maps for it. I plan to work on this for another 2 weeks before I start work on my next demo, but if other people want to carry on with it I'm happy to send them all the assets and code.
Trabbi wrote:Is it possible to use the Razer Hydra for positional and headtracking at the same time?
It's possible, but not with UDK. All the headtracking code is built into the engine, so I can't modify this to work with another HMD. Hope you get your Rift soon :)
Trabbi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Trabbi »

Teddy0 wrote:
Trabbi wrote:Is it possible to use the Razer Hydra for positional and headtracking at the same time?
It's possible, but not with UDK. All the headtracking code is built into the engine, so I can't modify this to work with another HMD. Hope you get your Rift soon :)
yeah, can't wait to try all this out. My ordernumber is 57699 but I have the bad feeling that I'm not in the next eu batch :/

I also just watched your playthrough video, looks really cool and intense. I think it would be great to limit the ammunition and add some points where you can pick up new ammo. I know it's just a demo I'm sure its not easy, but add some weapons! :D
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

You should really consider adding a body and arms. I love those demos that have the body rendered, its such an improvement for immersion. You will have to estimate how the person is holding the gun, but could probably be accurate enough
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

CyberVillain wrote:You should really consider adding a body and arms. I love those demos that have the body rendered, its such an improvement for immersion. You will have to estimate how the person is holding the gun, but could probably be accurate enough
I was under the impression that Teddy0's goal was not to make the world's best game, but just to experiment and attempt to create the very best control scheme possible for VR, that could then be adopted by others looking to actually create games. A body and arms is something I would like, sure, but I would categorise that as a "visual nicety" unrelated to his goal.

I could be totally wrong, of course :P
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Well the estimation part of the body skeleton could fall under that category dont you think?
Still having a body with skeleton thats responsive to the way you move would be huge to the immersion level
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

Adding a body with only hand tracking would be far more complex, because you would need algorithms to guess the positions of upper arm, lower arm and elbows.
Surgeon Simulator is a good exempla for how having a body can actually be less immersive.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

I can not for the life of me get this to calibrate properly. I'm having essentially the same problem that I had with v.1 except now my gun is off on its own AND i'm about half the correct height. Sometimes it tells me to point both controllers at the base and pull the triggers, sometimes it goes straight to "Attach left hydra to chest." Once I got the "put the hydra on the floor at pull trigger" but that did not seem to calibrate where the floor was at all. At one point, the gun was actually where I was holding it and I could play for about a solid minute, even though I was 2 feet tall. I really want to play this, but just like v.1, I pretty much did all I could to get it right until I just ragequit. Any ideas what's going on here? My hydra's work fine in any other demo.
garagebattle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by garagebattle »

Drewbdoo wrote:I can not for the life of me get this to calibrate properly. I'm having essentially the same problem that I had with v.1 except now my gun is off on its own AND i'm about half the correct height. Sometimes it tells me to point both controllers at the base and pull the triggers, sometimes it goes straight to "Attach left hydra to chest." Once I got the "put the hydra on the floor at pull trigger" but that did not seem to calibrate where the floor was at all. At one point, the gun was actually where I was holding it and I could play for about a solid minute, even though I was 2 feet tall. I really want to play this, but just like v.1, I pretty much did all I could to get it right until I just ragequit. Any ideas what's going on here? My hydra's work fine in any other demo.
sure you are using the left and right controllers, as left (boddah) and right (gunny).
Dnhkng
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dnhkng »

Drewbdoo wrote:I can not for the life of me get this to calibrate properly. I'm having essentially the same problem that I had with v.1 except now my gun is off on its own AND i'm about half the correct height. Sometimes it tells me to point both controllers at the base and pull the triggers, sometimes it goes straight to "Attach left hydra to chest." Once I got the "put the hydra on the floor at pull trigger" but that did not seem to calibrate where the floor was at all. At one point, the gun was actually where I was holding it and I could play for about a solid minute, even though I was 2 feet tall. I really want to play this, but just like v.1, I pretty much did all I could to get it right until I just ragequit. Any ideas what's going on here? My hydra's work fine in any other demo.
I'm glad its not just me then! I haven't been able to get this calibrated either. Occasionally it asks me to touch the controller to the floor, but most of the time it doesn't. When I do get past calibration, the gun is often behind me. Also, I notice that rotating the body controller moves me 2-3 meters in-game.
OutatimeTV
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OutatimeTV »

I have tried it today with v0.2 and the game is really good. Thank you.
I feel like really in the action and the gun is good animated.

The calibration is not working well but in the end what still helps is the "Start" button reset.
I think that's all I need. Move the right Hydra, press it again until the gun is in the correct "your hand" position. :)

As for the enemy shooting:
I found myself mostly hiding behind these blocks. I don't like the enemy laser pulse guns.
I think it would be better if they shoot one faster beam (like a railgun) and not that often so one has a chance to get out of cover.

First round 875 points.
I still got motion sick after the second round. Damn.
Teddy0
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teddy0 »

TheHolyChicken wrote:I was under the impression that Teddy0's goal was not to make the world's best game, but just to experiment and attempt to create the very best control scheme possible for VR, that could then be adopted by others looking to actually create games. A body and arms is something I would like, sure, but I would categorise that as a "visual nicety" unrelated to his goal.

I could be totally wrong, of course :P
You pretty much got that right, but to convince people a control scheme is good you need to make a fun game for it.

On the subject of body & arms, I've looked into this a bit (it's the most requested feature) but I don't think it's possible with the current Hydra setup. I've only got the position of your chest and where the gun is, I don't even know which hand it is in! So it's virtually impossible to get the arms to match up, let alone all the weird positions you get into when you're crouching and leaning.

I think to do this properly will require a different position tracking solution.
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Hey Teddy just a small request for this demo, Can you put more boxes across that walkway to block the user off because at the moment I run into that backroom where enimies spawn and it makes getting a high score really easy and I feel like a cheat haha.

Also if I hold the hyrda in an orientation as if I was holding a real gun, the ingame gun is pointed at the floor. So yeah I think it would feel better if the gun was tilted upwards a bit. Unless it is and mine is just buggy.
Gameinator
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Gameinator »

This is my most favorite Rift Demo so far, and everyone said I wasted my money on the Razer Hydra. Currently downloading the editor from your thread on the Oculus Dev forums. cant wait to start building my own levels.
Looking forward to see what you have planned for the next version.
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

great game/demo.... :shock: :shock: i see so much potential.... :o

I just tryed/get used/played it for about 45min and now i totally sweaty. Need a rest....

I stay at the first chapter. (In front of the door) The little Bomb-Turtles kill me. I am not really able to aim correct or hit them correct?!? max points something about 1300

* i hate not beeing able to shot/aim the turtles correct
* little screen refresh issue (like i know from vsync off 10 years ago?!)
* where is the "start" button to recenter? ^^
* i need to do more sport... :roll:
* This was v0.2 --> v0.3 is https://mega.co.nz/#!ZBQURK4T!YiZGPSATS ... agp85vzOio (will try later)
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Great game! Up there with ZOTH. I still have calibration issues however. I turn forwards, press 'start' but it just gives me a line pointing off at a weird angle?

The turtles were a great surprise, gave me quite a scare when they first appeared.

I'd like the option to turn off the laser sight however, I think it kills VR immersion a little. Would be way cooler just aiming down the sights. However, the calibration issues could make this difficult at present.
whoisonline
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by whoisonline »

Fantastic work on this demo :-)
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

Thanks for releasing the editor Teddy, I used it to make this Map Pack:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1k7hLQ ... edit?pli=1

It's really just a "franken-build" of the HydraCoverShooter 0.3 UDK editor and one from 2010 with some cool maps that people probably won't have seen in the Rift before. Most of these maps couldn't be played in the standard Oculus UDK, or Teddy's 0.3 editor, due to various issues which I've done my best to fix. There's not much game-play but I really enjoyed exploring these beautiful maps in VR with positional-tracking, I hope you do to. 8-)

[youtube-hd]www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WCDs_VgjiQ&rel=0[/youtube-hd]
[youtube-hd]www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fi3k2LZf80&rel=0[/youtube-hd]
[youtube-hd]www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLNq8YKmpF0&rel=0[/youtube-hd]

It also contains the Epic maps (including SandStorm & Sanctuary which weren't in recent UDKs), and a few others.

IMHO HydraCoverShooter is still the best standing VR experiance out there, I was hoping to have seen some more demos based on it by now... :( Sadly I'm not a developer, I've only been playing with UDK for a few weeks so I only tried to add bots to one map, and they don't do very much I'm afraid. Their current locations aren't very well thought-out, but if you move them around and play with the spawn delays in Kismet you can still have some fun.

I was originally hoping to try and get Multi-player HydraCoverShooter working but all that world replication stuff makes my brain hurt, so I gave up. How about it Teddy!? ...or maybe we should just wait for the awesome multi-player UE4 demo you're definitely already busy working on! :P :D
ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

Post by ElectroPulse »

Nice demo! I haven't tried many (I left the country for ten months within a week of receiving my dev kit, and just recently returned), but that was by far the most immersive I have tried.

My dad tried the Tuscany Demo last summer, and had to quit early due to motion sickness (he can't play FPSs on a regular monitor due to motion sickness (I'm guessing it would be classified as simulator sickness?) either). However, when he tried it out he only felt mildly motion sick when finishing. I'm guessing it's the motion tracking and the limited area of movement.

Return to “Oculus VR”