War Thunder with a Rift and Joystick! (Video) VR Brotherhood

Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

War Thunder with a Rift and Joystick! (Video) VR Brotherhood

Post by Thodder7 »

So if you haven't tried War Thunder with a Rift and a joystick, it is a must! Truely amazing...

I was experimenting with a new video style, let me know what you bros think. Here are my thoughts!

Thanks for watching :)

UPDATED VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGO5c4JxAqQ

-Tyler
Last edited by Thodder7 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mattyeatsmatts
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: War Thunder with a Rift and Joystick! (Video)

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

I have the same Flightstick but everytime i boot up Warthunder i have to redo all the flightstick buttons, nightmare. Also the rift tracker was super slow for me as id look left and bout 3 seconds later the view would catch up and that was on the lowest settings(my pc can handle the game fine on high setting without the rift), dunno whats goin on. I guess ill give it another crack later. I reallly want this game to work good.
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

Hmm, what kind of hardware are you running? I run it on high settings, with no delay in picture... It is also weird that your joystick settings reset, can you possibly save the profile to reload? My buttons remain the way I configure them. Hopefully you get it working!
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Oh you can save and load control profiles? can you share yours? that would save me a lot of time and frustration. If not thats cool.
P.S I like all your vids keep em coming
Tacklebait
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tacklebait »

Only had the rift for a couple days. Man those maneuvers your doing would make me vomit. I feel ill after making strong banks with heli-hell 2!!

I really hope my guts adjust. I've been limiting myself to short stints but still come away unsettled.

great vid!
Hooves
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hooves »

hOW DO i EVEN GET IT TO WORK? I click the oculus rift box but the game does not change for me.. Help I wanna puke too!!1 :)
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

Okay so I have noticed if I have any other controller connected aside from the joystick when I launch the game, It will ask me to reset the controls. So your two options are to leave a save file of yuour set up and reload it each time, or unplug your hydra, 360 controller etc... and only leave your joystick plugged in.

I believe I have exported my configuration here for the F.L.Y. 5 Joystick... it is not purfect, still tweaking things, but enough to get you going.

EDIT: (Just tried uploading and the forums are saying .blk files are not allowed, I don't ahve a drop box, and don't know of any other free hosting places for files. If you know of one, let me know and I'll upload it for you, I've tried to register on tweo random "free hosting sites" but got no where.)

As for the Oculus Rift not working, once you have checked the box, the main screen on the game will appear normal, the Oculus doesn't take control until you are in the plane, so try launching a test flight and see if the Rift takes over. Also make sure the Oculus is on when launching the game. Hope that helps!
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

I was pumped about war thunder but after wrangling with it for 2 hours opening and closing ports to actually get the game to run, it turns out the wretched lan cable was the issue and connecting wirelessly worked, infuriating.

The biggest issue for me was scale in war thunder, it felt like i was perched on top of a giants head in a giant cockpit, it just felt terrible. Nothing at all like heli hell2 which felt amazingly realistic.

What is your desktop resolution/rift resolution and in-game resolution set to Thodder7?

Maybe the resolution is effecting the scaling in-game. I couldnt play with it much because my wireless connection kept dropping so turned it all off before i started punching holes in the plaster - its been a long long hot day.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

The biggest issue for me was scale in war thunder, it felt like i was perched on top of a giants head in a giant cockpit, it just felt terrible. Nothing at all like heli hell2 which felt amazingly realistic.
I find the 3D is totally wrong with War Thunder myself. Comparing it to Heli Hell / Heli Island, there is a massive difference in how 'real' War Thunder feels compared to how it should.
Just shows that getting 3D 'right' for VR isn't as easy as some think. You look at Tuscany, VR Cinema, or Heli Hell, they just feel 'real'. Other stuff like War Thunder, etc, just doesn't feel like the 3D is right.
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

I set my resolution to 1920x 1080. I did play around with some others, but that one works well for me. (Other resolutions may work better for others) I've noticed it seems to really be hit or miss with certain games. I found War Thunder quite good, I can play for hours, while others feel things are off.

Not sure if there are console commands you could mess with. There are some settings you can play with to make things a little better... one reccomendation is to use OpenTrack for orientational tracking, and start a foot back from your desk, and then slide forward, bringing you closer to the cockpit. That might help with the sense of scale.

The instructions for setting that up can be found here: http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/ ... tup-guide/

A lot of these problems have been brought up on the dev forums, and will be worked on. Oculus Rift support is fairly new, and hasn't been fully implimented, it will take some time to tweak the settings. I think the next update will give players a bit more customization to allow correction for those who find things off now.

All I can say is keep checking back, because for me, this game is top notch... by far the best game I've tried so far!

Best of luck!
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Thodder7 wrote:Okay so I have noticed if I have any other controller connected aside from the joystick when I launch the game, It will ask me to reset the controls. So your two options are to leave a save file of yuour set up and reload it each time, or unplug your hydra, 360 controller etc... and only leave your joystick plugged in.

I believe I have exported my configuration here for the F.L.Y. 5 Joystick... it is not purfect, still tweaking things, but enough to get you going.

EDIT: (Just tried uploading and the forums are saying .blk files are not allowed, I don't ahve a drop box, and don't know of any other free hosting places for files. If you know of one, let me know and I'll upload it for you, I've tried to register on tweo random "free hosting sites" but got no where.)

As for the Oculus Rift not working, once you have checked the box, the main screen on the game will appear normal, the Oculus doesn't take control until you are in the plane, so try launching a test flight and see if the Rift takes over. Also make sure the Oculus is on when launching the game. Hope that helps!
Hey Thodder you can use http://www.wikisend.com/ you dont have to login and the file will be deleted in 7 days. ( I tested it and works great)
Still not sure whats happening with my war thunder game, its running at 60fps and every bout 5 secs it drops to 1fps for about 2 seconds and then back up to 60fps... this makes you very ill in the rift. Its only been happening since ive had my rift.
rrrobot!
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rrrobot! »

War Thunder has been an incredible experience for me. Unfortunately it is quite hard to play due to low res, but looking around from the cockpit to see the landscape zooming away is crazy.
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

Alright Matty, try this! http://wikisend.com/download/535284/F.L.Y. 5 cyborg.blk

Not sure why the drop in frame rate?.. does it happen with all games or just War Thunder?
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Thanks for that Thodder. My PC is dying :( having random reboots and gets caught it a weird boot loop where the fan spins like a maniac then beeps, stops and spins again for hours on repeat unless I turn it off at the big switch and wait a few hours. I think its the power supply. Still cannot get War Thunder to work properly which is devastating as it was working fine 2 days prior to my rifts arrival.

P.s with your configuration how do you start the planes engines? im pretty sure i pressed every key and button.
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

I would open your PC up and spray out the dust if you haven't... sounds like its over heating. A can of "Dust off" is fairly cheap and will do the trick!
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

Does anybody know if it is possible to set your ipd in war thunder?
HappyHimitsu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HappyHimitsu »

The 3d in this game seems all wrong to me. In Rift mode I get parts of the plane rendering at the wrong depth, as well as distant objects don't seem 3d at all. Is this normal??
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

HappyHimitsu wrote:The 3d in this game seems all wrong to me. In Rift mode I get parts of the plane rendering at the wrong depth, as well as distant objects don't seem 3d at all. Is this normal??
It is known on their forums the cockpit scale is all screwed up but it was their first release. It feels like the IPD is far too close together, like an ant peering out through a giants eyes, a massive cockpit and weird warping of the plane when you turn your head.

Im sure they will fix it but I think its normal at the moment, its fantastic they have already included the rift as an option though :)
ripcurl123
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ripcurl123 »

HappyHimitsu wrote:The 3d in this game seems all wrong to me. In Rift mode I get parts of the plane rendering at the wrong depth, as well as distant objects don't seem 3d at all. Is this normal??
im getting the same problem the 3d is crap did you sort it at all
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

What is currently the best way to play War Thunder with the Rift dev-kit?

In-game support?
Drivers?
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

Tridef is the best way I've seen so far. Use that with Opentrack for head tracking, and you will have very good 3d, much sharper picture, correct scale, and all menus / etc working. It is nearly perfect this way (I play it often).
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Re: War Thunder with a Rift and Joystick! (Video) VR Brother

Post by Thodder7 »

Now that the menu's have been changed it is harder to get working, but still do-able. I've updated to a new video.

Enjoy!

-Tyler

Return to “Oculus VR”