Quake 1 on the Oculus Rift [download inside]

Chaoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Quake 1 on the Oculus Rift [download inside]

Post by Chaoss »

One of the games I grew up with, and that got me into gaming and game development was the original Quake 1 game, it got me through some very tough times when growing up. I used to play it online a lot and create maps and textures, eventually I moved onto full conversion mods before growing up into game development.

I always dreamed of virtual reality but sadly it didn't exist, and the closest thing we had was Second Life.... But today I bring you Quake 1 with full Oculus Rift support and head tracking. What an experience it was to play Quake again in full 3D... I never knew how big those shamblers really were lol

http://phoboslab.org/log/2013/07/quake-for-oculus-rift

mgood
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Quake 1 on the Oculus Rift [download inside]

Post by mgood »

Thanks!
Bleppe
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bleppe »

This is awesome :) Good job!
Deffinatly gonna try it out when I get my Rift.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Getting insta crash when I run r_oculusrift 1 in console on xp :(
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
zacherynuk
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by zacherynuk »

Nice one mate - works a treat :) You posted this over at the developer forums too ?

Be nice to see Q2 done also - more colourful :)

It's amazing how much you remember of these games, I must have played & dreamt Wolf3d, doom and quake so much it's all like reflexes and auto-memory of the maps - love it :)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Nice!
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

Why is there a shotgun on my nose?
MSat

Post by MSat »

I just tried this out yesterday :D

I do find enemies to be extremely blurry and there's a ton of aliasing. Is it possible to run it above the Rift's native resolution?

While looking for this I also found a java port of the Q2 engine so I'm going to try that next. All I need to do now is find my Q2 disk!
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

Very cool, nice work !
Finally face to face with the old demons ! ^_^
Chaoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chaoss »

It won't work on XP... also why are you using a decade old OS? maybe you should consider upgrading?

It's quake... it was made in 1996 so of course enemies and textures will be blurry along with the super low poly enemies. But I spent so much time playing Quake in my past that I looked right on past that.

I run my Oculus Rift at 1920x1080 and the Rift's control box downscales the resolution. Make sure you add a custom resolution in your graphic adapters control panel.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Chaoss wrote:It won't work on XP... also why are you using a decade old OS? maybe you should consider upgrading?

It's quake... it was made in 1996 so of course enemies and textures will be blurry along with the super low poly enemies. But I spent so much time playing Quake in my past that I looked right on past that.

I run my Oculus Rift at 1920x1080 and the Rift's control box downscales the resolution. Make sure you add a custom resolution in your graphic adapters control panel.
I am using XP because there hasnt been a worthwile upgrade available yet. Its only as time goes by and more small things are made with no backwards compatabilty that make me consider going to 7 sometime in the future. Im not a fan of the perpetual upgrade cycles... In other news, why are we discussing a 2 decade old game? 8-)
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Okta wrote:Im not a fan of the perpetual upgrade cycles
Xp was 12 years ago. I think you're well past the "perpetual upgrade" phase and into the "why the hell is he still using X" phase.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Bleppe
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bleppe »

I read some news yesterday that if we wanna use direct x 11.2 we will have to upgrade to win 8.
Microsoft won't make it available for win 7 users. I'd rather not use win 8 at all... ever... It's f'in worse than win ME.
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

runs well on win7

how do you controll?

* Keyboard?
* Razor Hydra?

ps: the dogs are huuuge.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

So, uh, has anyone successfully compiled this for OS X? I'm not sure how to do it, though I have Xcode installed -_- Will try Google a bit more, but I'm getting impatient, haha. And yes, I only have access to a Mac right now :/ very limited in getting my Rift fixes...
Okta

Post by Okta »

TheHolyChicken wrote:
Xp was 12 years ago. I think you're well past the "perpetual upgrade" phase and into the "why the hell is he still using X" phase.
There hasnt been a real reason to update XP yet obviously, and i NEVER format my HDD, i maintain an OS for as long as possible, because I roll with 100's of installed programs and dont dig the months it would take me to get back up to speed. Call me a horder.
MSat

Post by MSat »

Okta wrote:
TheHolyChicken wrote:
There hasnt been a real reason to update XP yet obviously, and i NEVER format my HDD, i maintain an OS for as long as possible, because I roll with 100's of installed programs and dont dig the months it would take me to get back up to speed. Call me a horder.
You could always get a removable HDD tray. That's how I go between Linux and Win7.
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

I tried this out the other day and was very impressed! It worked perfectly "right out of the box" for me with no additional configuration other than the initial cvar. I remember when this game came out back when I was in highschool and I played the crap out of it, it's been so long but all the maps seemed familiar, it was really cool to actually step inside them and see how big everything is!

Very well done man, excellent job! Look forward to some more stuff from you.

We have some key ID games playable on the Rift now, the only thing we are missing is the original Doom 1 & 2. Who is up to task? I would love for these to be made Rift compatible!
alekki
Cross Eyed!

Post by alekki »

drgroove101 wrote:
We have some key ID games playable on the Rift now, the only thing we are missing is the original Doom 1 & 2. Who is up to task? I would love for these to be made Rift compatible!
I'm surprised nobody has made a Rift version of Doom yet. Probably every single one of us has dreamt of Doom in VR for 20 years.

Anyway, great job getting Quake supported! I'll try it tomorrow.
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

I've been talking with the guys in charge of gzdoom about implementing the rift and sadly they are VERY against it to the point where just mentioning it causes a brash response full of terms like "gimmick," "fake 3d," "migraines" and so on. Seems to me that they havent done their research on the device and think that it's merely a headached inducing fake 3d screen that you strap to your face. However i've downloaded the gzdoom source with the hopes to see how far I can come adding rift support.
Voxters
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Voxters »

Hello there,

i just hope this thread isnt to old to be reanimated ;) (and im german, so please ecxuse my spelling)

At first, im no coder at all. Im just an 3D Artist and making some money with 3D Animations and logos.
And now i fell in love with VR for my Projekts. Its damn easy to create some VR Stuff from Scratch.
But as an simple mouse-mover i got no chance to create Games.

So.... i wonder if this version of Quake is able to run "without" Rift.
Is there a way to activate the "crosseye" view just on the main screen?
Or does the Rift SDK work like some kind of an "driver" which recalculates two player positions with
an offset.

I almost found something near im looking for, for Quake ll.
http://www.lewcid.com/lg/download/SIRD/q2/index.html

For my understanding as a Noob, the rev_soft.dll also needs two different degrees to recalculate the
new vision.
I just need another result. Not the "magic book" one.
Or is this an different way of "creating deep field". Please teach a noob ;)

And i dont like it myself to just leech help with no offers... so if you need any Kind of 3D models, scenes
meshes or whatever. Just ask and ill help! (maybe for an Rift 3D Doom with oldscool look but meshes)

Greez

Voxters

Return to “Oculus VR”