Star Citizen (Oculus Rift support for the Hangar Module)

zerax
Two Eyed Hopeful

Star Citizen (Oculus Rift support for the Hangar Module)

Post by zerax »

RSI have a 24 hour live stream now 28/6.

Channels:
http://www.multitwitch.tv/Roberts_Space ... _Ind_Ch_6/

The new 12 million stretch goals are Oculus Rift support for the Hangar Module. Releasing in August on gamescon
Game engine is Cryengine 3

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... etch-Goals

Edit:

This video explains what the hangar is:
[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDLEIBhe ... e=youtu.be[/youtube-hd]
Last edited by zerax on Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bleppe
Cross Eyed!

Re: Star Citizen (AAA Rift Game)

Post by Bleppe »

I wonder what the guys in channel 6 are smoking :lol:
Runbmp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Runbmp »

that would be a hookah and most likely smoking flavored tobbaco. Probably double apple...

One of my favorite past times, is smoking hookah while playing Civ or Simcity.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

For those that don´t know this game is going to support the Rift without reaching this stretch goal.
They announced Oculus Rift support back in their Kickstarter campaign.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

Post by ElectroPulse »

The heck is the Hangar Module? They promised Oculus Rift support for the whole damn thing back at the beginning...
Mazhurg
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mazhurg »

They did.

What was in question was whether they'd have enough resources to implement the Rift with the hangar module release (time constraints). By the time the game goes public, they will have Rift support.
ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

Post by ElectroPulse »

Mazhurg wrote:They did.

What was in question was whether they'd have enough resources to implement the Rift with the hangar module release (time constraints). By the time the game goes public, they will have Rift support.
Ah, so the "Hangar Module" is just a certain release phase then.

Ok, that's cool with me then ;) When I saw that I was getting ticked that they wouldn't be implementing it into every part of it... Serves me right for not keeping up on it that closely.
Mazhurg
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mazhurg »

Think of the "Hangar module" as a showcase for players to show off their ships as they are being released. The hangar will not have full functionality until much later in the development process. In the meantime it will be a place for players to show off their pledged ships to friends (full walkthrough)

2 stones here:
1) it will appease those players that are suffering from ADDS and,
2) makes for good advertisement to increase funding for those undecided friends.

The actual alpha pieces are not really scheduled to start until Q1/14.
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Re: Star Citizen (Oculus Rift support for the Hangar Module)

Post by Paladia »

So what happens if it doesn't reach its stretch goal? You can play the game with the Rift, but once you access the hanger it goes black? Seems pretty odd that the complete game wouldn't support the Rift.
mattyeatsmatts
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

they will definitely reach it so no need to worry
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Chris Roberts said in an interview funding issues are gone (3rd party investors). Right now plan is full Rift support, and possible flight-controller for sale optionally from the game(this was vague interview comment and probably not needed atm).
yoshithedog
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yoshithedog »

I wonder what a monstrous machine this game will demand for playing comfortably on Rift :shock:
bornofmaya
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bornofmaya »

I guess the stretch goal is to decide whether or not to give high priority for Rift support in the early version(s) of the Hanger module. They seem to be getting a lot of funding anyway.
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Chris Roberts said that they were going to build a full spaceship simulator back at the SXSW conference. Any word of this still happening?
Syko
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Syko »

only 120k left till 12mio.

And wow, they get alot of funding each day O_O
They made 550k on 29th June. Over a half million in a single day. Around 1.5mio in one week :woot
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

I think they use fairly high end gpu at RSI, probably gtx670 or around that. In the livestream they stated they won't go crazy with ship design to keep the framerate smooth. It's also a space game and tend to need to less rendering power and have bigger open maps.

This video shows how many moving parts are rendered for 1 small ship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmx7JM_vRh8
zerax
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zerax »

This game is going to push a Haswell and a SLI Titan rig to it's limit...

More ship you have in Hangar more power you need ;) ;) ;)
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

Paladia wrote:So what happens if it doesn't reach its stretch goal? You can play the game with the Rift, but once you access the hanger it goes black? Seems pretty odd that the complete game wouldn't support the Rift.
Well the hanger will have Oculus Rift either way, this stretch goal is to have Oculus Rift support at the time of the Hanger module release :)
Virgman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Virgman »

Does anyone know if ship upgrades are 100% based on micro-transactions or is there a way to earn upgrades/buy new ships through gameplay or earned in-game currency?
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

Virgman wrote:Does anyone know if ship upgrades are 100% based on micro-transactions or is there a way to earn upgrades/buy new ships through gameplay or earned in-game currency?
Its 100% based on earned in-game, this is just to fund the game pre release. Also there will be some "pay to keep up" functionality. Everything should be possible to gain in-game, and you should not be inclined to pay to be able to get anything, and there is a limit off how much you can keep up by paying.
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

On the official servers, it's somewhat pay2win(slightly), kickstarter backers will get decent ships at start, a bigger initial hanger, extra starting funds and permanent insurance.

Insurance and upgrades should be fairly cheap if you're in an organized group doing important missions. Most the kickstarter rewards like bigger hangers and permanent insurance, will probably be offered as a micro transaction later on, or part of expansion packs, dlc etc.

One good way to make money in in SC, in theory, would be to pirate/capture expensive NPC ships, then sell it and transfer the funds to someone in your outfit without a bounty, lol (assuming you can sell ships/upgrades you control to other players, pirate NPCs. Then strip your characters who did the raid bare naked, "turn yourself in" or whatever then when your character gets out of prison , you split the money.

$$Profit

New version of 300i trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Gn_aQMBM0
Last edited by Direlight on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

Post by ElectroPulse »

Direlight wrote:Most the kickstarter rewards like bigger hangers and permanent insurance, will probably be offered as a micro transaction later on, or part of expansion packs, dlc etc.
I wouldn't count on LTI (lifetime insurance) being available after release... They're claiming that it'll only be available up until December (?) 2013. However, they lied about that once before (during the initial campaign... "Buy now before it's too late! It'll never be available again!" I spent more money than I should've because of quick decisions based on that), so there's definitely a chance they'll go back on it again.
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

If star citizen has a commodity market, you could probably amass a bunch of money, then invest it in whatever in the game consistently goes up in value. You then use those profits to pay for all or most of your ship's insurance, if insurance is cheap that is.

I'm betting it's cost effective to have a small number powerful ships of different sizes, maybe 1 or 2 for each weight class. If you get a large hanger, and manage to cram it full of expensive warships, insurance is probably going to be too much unless it's group funded hanger, which should be in the game I hope.
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

Looks like they made the 12 million mark, very excited.
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

sounds good i may have to help fund them before the end of the month then :-)
zerax
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zerax »

12 Million goal achieved

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... 12-Million

@Evenios
I recommend to back this before July 6st if you want LTI ( Life time insurance ) on your ship.
remosito

Post by remosito »

zerax wrote:12 Million goal achieved

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... 12-Million

@Evenios
I recommend to back this before July 6st if you want LTI ( Life time insurance ) on your ship.

^
|
This one gives good advise :-)
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Huh?, RSI website says LTI offer good til November 26.

Digital Mercenary package looks good, 1 ship and the game plus early access. Remember too, SC demo is confirmed for dec/jan, so not too far away.

The demo will have stuff added to it as well, like bars etc.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

If you get a package before July 6th, you can get additional ships with LTI until November 26.
If you don't get anything before July 6th, starting July 7th any package you get will not have LTI, and you cannot buy LTI ships. LTI ships can be gifted to you by someone else though.
djesko
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by djesko »

I have started a clan called Head Mounted Domination for this which is only for Rifters.
Link is here if you fancy joining https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... -rift-clan
Star Citizen Oculus Rift clan [HMD]
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

My God I just couldn't pass it up, picked up a couple of limited edition 350r lightspeed packs for me and wifey, im a dogfighter at heart but I just couldn't stop looking at those duel vents on that race model. This game in the rift is going to be mind boggling :)
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

If you get a package before July 6th, you can get additional ships with LTI until November 26.
If you don't get anything before July 6th, starting July 7th any package you get will not have LTI, and you cannot buy LTI ships. LTI ships can be gifted to you by someone else though.
Why does the website say this then,

The United Empire of Earth appreciates your service! Star Citizen's early backers are eligible for packages which include Lifetime Insurance through November 26, 2013.
Does not mention july 6th anywhere, in fact it says til nov. 26th, so I guess either you're wrong or the website is.

If july 6th is the cut off they're going to piss off people going by website information.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Backed the Kickstarter for this game at the "Digital Scout" tier which includes both beta and alpha access.
But now after taking a look at the hanger at their official website the alpha and beta access are not listed.
Is it normal not having alpha and beta displayed in the hanger, or is this some kind of error/bug?

If this is a error/bug, I am going to contact their support.

Here are some screenshots:

Kickstarter:

Hanger:

P.S. Is the RSI Aurora any good?

Mazhurg
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mazhurg »

Error / bug

They should show up int he breakdown.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

Direlight wrote:

The United Empire of Earth appreciates your service! Star Citizen's early backers are eligible for packages which include Lifetime Insurance through November 26, 2013.
Does not mention july 6th anywhere, in fact it says til nov. 26th, so I guess either you're wrong or the website is.

If july 6th is the cut off they're going to piss off people going by website information.
It's hard to find the relevant comm-links since old site links are broken on the new site. However see this post from just a few days ago:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... iod-Update
That confirms that LTI will not be available for new backers after 7/6:

"Original Backers" = Kickstarter Backers
"Veteran Backers" = 'backers before the new site launched'. However they extended this group with a 1 week grace period. If you back by end of day 7/6, you're a veteran backer. The text you posted about LTI through 11/26 is on the Veteran Backer's pledge page. I presume on 7/6, any new users will no longer see those packages at all. Existing users will still be able to see them though (but possibly with higher prices).

I can agree that it's all a bit confusing though.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

Found the post:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... rification
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/medi ... ce/LTI.png

That chart should correspond to my description of things (except that we're currently in a 1 week grace period where new backers still fall into the Veteran Backers category).

Re: The digital scout package: New backers at the Digital Scout level do not get alpha/ beta access, so maybe that's the details that it's showing you. It probably wouldn't hurt to confirm with Support though - your Created Date for that package shows you're a Kickstarter backer, but if you melt that package, it doesn't seem like Hangar Log won't show your backing date anywhere (though they should still know from Kickstarter I guess).
remosito

Post by remosito »

Direlight wrote:

Reading comprehension!

The statement clearly says "early backers"!
If you haven't backed 8 months after the launch of the crowdfunding you are certainly NOT a early backer!
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

The statement clearly says "early backers"!
If you haven't backed 8 months after the launch of the crowdfunding you are certainly NOT a early backer!
Actually, the website is pretty misleading as is "early backer" it says veteran anyway.. Anyone who missed the old news link about the grace period, would think november is the cut-off as that's before any game launch other then hanger.

They could just update the new site I think would work, I assure you not everyone reads every news bulletin for an unreleased game.
I'm ordering on July 4th anyway, and that guy above should e-mail about the digital scout beta access thing, it's weird once again how the website says something different then another official source.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Mazhurg wrote:Error / bug

They should show up int he breakdown.
Ok, I just contacted them.
Thanks for letting me know this is a error.

Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

Oh dear I think I started off a mini war in the Star Citizen forums trying to convince the masses how good the Oculus Rift will be in that game lol

There is a lot of hard-core TrackIR sceptics, but well, you know how it is, its hard to explain what true immersion is like without witnessing it first-hand.

I tried to explain im a long-term TrackIR guy myself and you really cant compare them but you know how people set their minds :)

Return to “Oculus VR”