OpenTrack drifting and recentering issue

Entroper
One Eyed Hopeful

OpenTrack drifting and recentering issue

Post by Entroper »

Hi all,

I've been using Vireio and OpenTrack to get the Rift working in iRacing. It works reasonably well for a few minutes, the tracking is a little bit laggy, but playable.

Unfortunately, after more than a few minutes, drift begins to set in on the yaw axis. I can press a key to recenter the view, but the correction is falling prey to gimbal lock. As the offset becomes larger, the pitch and roll axes start to intermingle, until eventually the pitch axis is completely backwards.

You can see the effects in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGXyeCjpIok

Please don't mind my comments in the video, it was rather exciting/stressful to race under these circumstances. :)

I was using an older build of OpenTrack when the above was recorded, but I've tried again with the 2013-06-19 build and had the same results. Any ideas?
Bleppe
Cross Eyed!

Re: OpenTrack drifting and recentering issue

Post by Bleppe »

I don't have an answer to your question unfortunatly... just wanted to say that I watched your videos this weekend and it really made me wanna get a wheel and start racing :)
It looks awesome!
I hope you find a sollution to the problem, and let me know if you do :)
vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by vittorio »

I have same issues in Rfactor2 + oculus overlay + opentrack. A bit laggy, but the drift is a major problem (same behaviour as described by OP).
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

I don't know why it's laggy, it's not for me, but I am fully aware of the drift issue. I can't seem to get the magnetic yaw correction working but I'll fix the hotkey setup so that it doesn't get garbled like it does just now.

The newest version is currently here (without aforementioned fix):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/152 ... ntrack.zip

This fixes the mouse emulation issue, and adds the Razer Hydra as a separate tracker. If you set them as Tracker 1 and Tracker 2 and uncheck the Rotation options on the Hydra you can use it for position and the Rift for rotation. Make sure the Rift is centred when you press the centreing key for the position because currently they are linked and it will garble the orientation a bit if you are off centre and press the centre hotkey.

Similarly Razer Hydra orientation works, but doing a centering operation to use it at a weird angle will not work. I'm working on this but the current code is a bit hairy that is supposed to deal with this.
Tankshell
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tankshell »

Entroper wrote:Unfortunately, after more than a few minutes, drift begins to set in on the yaw axis. I can press a key to recenter the view, but the correction is falling prey to gimbal lock. As the offset becomes larger, the pitch and roll axes start to intermingle, until eventually the pitch axis is completely backwards.
I get the same problem too, it spoils an otherwise excellent experience. The sooner this is fixed the better =0) If you need any help I am willing to lend a hand and take a look at the source code.

Thanks all involved.

BTW - is there an official homepage/repository or page that always list the latest OpenTrack for download and maybe a changelog or something?
Tankshell
Software Developer & Founder of Handheld Pixels
Read My Oculus Rift First Impressions | http://timloram.me.uk | http://handheldpixels.co.uk
Tankshell
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tankshell »

Did anyone ever manage to fix the drifting and gimbal lock problems?
Tankshell
Read My Oculus Rift First Impressions | http://timloram.me.uk | http://handheldpixels.co.uk
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

I'm sorry my life caught up with me somewhat, Opentrack is getting a little core modification to support a reset callback into the tracker, which is needed for correct Rift yaw centring. This means that the hotkey re-centring will no longer suffer gimbal-lock. I'll update you very soon on this point.

The drift problem itself might become less of an issue with some poking around the new SDK version and making a manual magnetic calibration procedure to go through before playing a game. The auto calibration doesn't work at all for me in the version I have been using.
Tankshell
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tankshell »

mm0zct wrote:I'm sorry my life caught up with me somewhat, Opentrack is getting a little core modification to support a reset callback into the tracker, which is needed for correct Rift yaw centring. This means that the hotkey re-centring will no longer suffer gimbal-lock. I'll update you very soon on this point.

The drift problem itself might become less of an issue with some poking around the new SDK version and making a manual magnetic calibration procedure to go through before playing a game. The auto calibration doesn't work at all for me in the version I have been using.
Great. Let us know when the hotkey re-centering is sorted! Thanks mate!
Tankshell
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

Sorry for the huge delay, the new version of opentrack finally has working magnetic correction! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/152 ... ntrack.zip

If you have the previous version you _should_ be able to just replace the tracker plugin files here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/152 ... racker.zip instead of re-downloading the whole thing.

When you start the tracker just point the headset in 4 different directions and it will work itself out, let me know how you get on!

Edit: I may have spoken too soon, the sensor fusion reports that magnetic correction has completed calibration but i can still force it to drift by doing the rotate and scoop action... any ideas are welcome before i implement an auto drift-to-centre on the yaw (good enough for most cockpit sims i would assume).

Here is a version of the rift tracker that will gradually drift to centre, this will stop your cockpit sim from drifting off so long as you don't want to spend the whole game at 90 degrees. Best for racing I think. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/152 ... centre.zip

This works by providing a very weak spring function (ie more correction the further away) pluus a constant drift towards 0 term which is disabled within a 1 degree deadzone of centre.
morebeat
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by morebeat »

:D Thank you very much!
Works like a charm with Dirt3. So much fun.
Tankshell
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tankshell »

mm0zct wrote:Sorry for the huge delay, the new version of opentrack finally has working magnetic correction! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/152 ... ntrack.zip

If you have the previous version you _should_ be able to just replace the tracker plugin files here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/152 ... racker.zip instead of re-downloading the whole thing.

When you start the tracker just point the headset in 4 different directions and it will work itself out, let me know how you get on!

Edit: I may have spoken too soon, the sensor fusion reports that magnetic correction has completed calibration but i can still force it to drift by doing the rotate and scoop action... any ideas are welcome before i implement an auto drift-to-centre on the yaw (good enough for most cockpit sims i would assume).

Here is a version of the rift tracker that will gradually drift to centre, this will stop your cockpit sim from drifting off so long as you don't want to spend the whole game at 90 degrees. Best for racing I think. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/152 ... centre.zip

This works by providing a very weak spring function (ie more correction the further away) pluus a constant drift towards 0 term which is disabled within a 1 degree deadzone of centre.
Thanks, will try this new version out tonight. Does it also have the gimbal lock recentering hotkey issue fixed?

T
Tankshell
raeldor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raeldor »

Hi Guys,

With this version of OpenTrack I get a crash when trying to use SimConnect. I installed the official version of OpenTrack and then copied in the Rift DLLs, but I still seem to be getting significant drift (though it DOES seem less than before).

Is there any update to this?

Thanks!
Ray
vulkan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vulkan »

Have there been any improvements? I get very bad yaw drift within 15 mins using OpenTrack (even with the latest Rift firmware). Re-centering creates the 'gimbal' drift issue.
raeldor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raeldor »

vulkan wrote:Have there been any improvements? I get very bad yaw drift within 15 mins using OpenTrack (even with the latest Rift firmware). Re-centering creates the 'gimbal' drift issue.
I wonder if OpenTrack has to be rebuilt again with the new SDK to take advantage of the drift fixes. I know some of them are in the firmware, but maybe there's some in the API layer too? I haven't heard from the devs for a long time though, unfortunately. :(
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yes. They would have to rebuilt the app with the latest SDK to take full advantage of the new drift correction.
raeldor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raeldor »

I have the Rift SDK and visual studio 2010. If someone can tell me how to build I can try and recompile the Rift DLL.

UPDATE: I installed QT and CMake, but when I make the cmakelists.txt file, it seems to make a VS2010 SLN for all projects EXCEPT the rift. Tried setting sdk_rift, but didn't seem to make any difference. :(

UPDATE2: Seemed to work when I used CMake GUI instead of command prompt and filled in the RIFT_SDK variable. I had to remove some stuff to do with MagCal, as I think the manual calibration has now been removed from the Rift SDK (please correct if I am wrong).

UPDATE3: Moved the new DLL into the opentrack directory and ran is, but it crashed, lol. Not sure why, but it seems twice the size of the old one. I attached the VS2010 debugger, and the line it seems to be crashing on is Elements = (T*)OVR_ALLOC(capacity * sizeof(T));

UPDATE4: Seems this is a known problem with Rift SDK 2.5. See (https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... =34&t=4655). I changed the SFusion variable to a pointer and initialized it in the StartTracker fuction after the pSensor = *pHMD->GetSensor() call. It seems to work! I'm going to test on Flight Simulator to see if the drift is any better. I will post the DLL here soon.

UPDATE5: Yay! I just flew a circuit without any drift. First time I've been able to do that so I think this DID make a big difference. Uploading new files to Dropbox now...

Ok, here it is. Unzip the opentrack-rift.zip files into your opentrack install directory and replace the existing rift tracker files. Let me know how you get on! :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oflndm5upl61xcf/qLXF3xKuOW
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Awesome! Glad you got it working.
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

raeldor wrote:I have the Rift SDK and visual studio 2010. If someone can tell me how to build I can try and recompile the Rift DLL.

UPDATE: I installed QT and CMake, but when I make the cmakelists.txt file, it seems to make a VS2010 SLN for all projects EXCEPT the rift. Tried setting sdk_rift, but didn't seem to make any difference. :(

UPDATE2: Seemed to work when I used CMake GUI instead of command prompt and filled in the RIFT_SDK variable. I had to remove some stuff to do with MagCal, as I think the manual calibration has now been removed from the Rift SDK (please correct if I am wrong).

UPDATE3: Moved the new DLL into the opentrack directory and ran is, but it crashed, lol. Not sure why, but it seems twice the size of the old one. I attached the VS2010 debugger, and the line it seems to be crashing on is Elements = (T*)OVR_ALLOC(capacity * sizeof(T));

UPDATE4: Seems this is a known problem with Rift SDK 2.5. See (https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... =34&t=4655). I changed the SFusion variable to a pointer and initialized it in the StartTracker fuction after the pSensor = *pHMD->GetSensor() call. It seems to work! I'm going to test on Flight Simulator to see if the drift is any better. I will post the DLL here soon.

UPDATE5: Yay! I just flew a circuit without any drift. First time I've been able to do that so I think this DID make a big difference. Uploading new files to Dropbox now...

Ok, here it is. Unzip the opentrack-rift.zip files into your opentrack install directory and replace the existing rift tracker files. Let me know how you get on! :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oflndm5upl61xcf/qLXF3xKuOW
Is this the DLL that drifts to centre like the one above??

I can get the centre drifting one to work but when i copy the dll stuff over the opentrack folder with that latest dropbox upload, the rift options stops being an option in opentrack
raeldor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raeldor »

Mattijs wrote: Is this the DLL that drifts to centre like the one above??

I can get the centre drifting one to work but when i copy the dll stuff over the opentrack folder with that latest dropbox upload, the rift options stops being an option in opentrack
I had the recenter spring flag turned on when I did the build so yes, I think it does do the recenter.

That's odd about this one not working for you. I have it running fine. When you look in the opentrack folder you see all the rift files with a date of 10/14? You have opentrack v2.0a2?
lovelyhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lovelyhead »

raeldor wrote:
Mattijs wrote: Is this the DLL that drifts to centre like the one above??

I had the recenter spring flag turned on when I did the build so yes, I think it does do the recenter.

That's odd about this one not working for you. I have it running fine. When you look in the opentrack folder you see all the rift files with a date of 10/14? You have opentrack v2.0a2?
Hi,

I have the same problem of the Rift not being detected after putting your updated files into the opentrack folder. I have tried version 2.0a2 & also 2.0a3 but neither detect the Rift.
raeldor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raeldor »

I deleted my Rift files out of my directory. Rift was not shown as an option in opentrack. I then downloaded the same zip file from dropbox and unzipped the files into my opentrack folder. Rift appeared again in opentrack.

Are you looking in c:\program files\opentrack? Do you see opentrack-tracker-rift.dll in that directory?

Ah, also, try deleting the rift file that ends PDB and see if that helps.
lovelyhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lovelyhead »

raeldor wrote:I deleted my Rift files out of my directory. Rift was not shown as an option in opentrack. I then downloaded the same zip file from dropbox and unzipped the files into my opentrack folder. Rift appeared again in opentrack.

Are you looking in c:\program files\opentrack? Do you see opentrack-tracker-rift.dll in that directory?

Ah, also, try deleting the rift file that ends PDB and see if that helps.
I deleted my opentrack directory and did a fresh install of opentrack 2.0 a2 into c:\program files\opentrack.

I extracted the four files from your zip into that folder.

It still didn't work.

I tried deleting the .pdb file but it made no difference unfortunately.
raeldor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raeldor »

Very odd. I've zipped my entire opentrack directory and placed in the dropbox. It's called 'opentrack.zip'. Can you unzip it somewhere and try and run opentrack from that folder and see if it works? Thanks.
lovelyhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lovelyhead »

raeldor wrote:Very odd. I've zipped my entire opentrack directory and placed in the dropbox. It's called 'opentrack.zip'. Can you unzip it somewhere and try and run opentrack from that folder and see if it works? Thanks.
Sorry that didn't work either.
raeldor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raeldor »

Are you on 32 or 64 bit windows?
lovelyhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lovelyhead »

raeldor wrote:Are you on 32 or 64 bit windows?
64bit
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

raeldor wrote:Are you on 32 or 64 bit windows?
me too
lovelyhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lovelyhead »

I have a new problem now. Before I started messing with the files to add magnetic calibration I could run Tridef and opentrack at the same time and get 60+FPS. Since I added the new files when I run Tridef and opentrack at the same time I get 20FPS. If I close opentrack and restart the game using Tridef the framerate returns to 60+FPS. If I run a game without Tridef but with opentrack I also get 60+FPS.

There seems to be some incompatibility with the two programs.

The weird thing is I have tried going back to earlier versions of Opentrack but I still get the same problem even though I completely deleted the opentrack folder. :(
raeldor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raeldor »

I just removed open track, deleted the directory and did a fresh install of 2.0a1. I then copied the rift files, and it works perfectly. I'll be honest, I'm pretty stumped at this point.
lovelyhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lovelyhead »

raeldor wrote:I just removed open track, deleted the directory and did a fresh install of 2.0a1. I then copied the rift files, and it works perfectly. I'll be honest, I'm pretty stumped at this point.
I just had one more go.

Uninstalled Opentrack via add/remove programs. Deleted the folder. Reinstalled 2.0a1. I then opened Opentrack and the Rift is listed as a source. I then closed Opentrack and copied over your Rift files. I reopened Opentrack and the Rift is no longer listed.

Have you tried installing it on a different computer?
raeldor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raeldor »

lovelyhead wrote:
raeldor wrote:I just removed open track, deleted the directory and did a fresh install of 2.0a1. I then copied the rift files, and it works perfectly. I'll be honest, I'm pretty stumped at this point.
I just had one more go.

Uninstalled Opentrack via add/remove programs. Deleted the folder. Reinstalled 2.0a1. I then opened Opentrack and the Rift is listed as a source. I then closed Opentrack and copied over your Rift files. I reopened Opentrack and the Rift is no longer listed.

Just installed fresh on a different computer and it also works fine. Both are on Windows 7, one is 32-bit, the other is 64-bit.
lovelyhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lovelyhead »

raeldor wrote:
lovelyhead wrote:
I just had one more go.

Just installed fresh on a different computer and it also works fine. Both are on Windows 7, one is 32-bit, the other is 64-bit.
Strange. We will need some more people to try it and see if it is just my computer.
raeldor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raeldor »

Strange. We will need some more people to try it and see if it is just my computer.
Is it possible it's being blocked by some kind of virus software? If you right click on the DLL do you get any message about it being blocked or anything like that?
lovelyhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lovelyhead »

raeldor wrote:
Is it possible it's being blocked by some kind of virus software? If you right click on the DLL do you get any message about it being blocked or anything like that?
I'm not running any anti virus software. Only the windows firewall.
raeldor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raeldor »

lovelyhead wrote:
raeldor wrote:
I'm not running any anti virus software. Only the windows firewall.
Not sure if it will make any difference, but I added a new zip file to the dropbox called 'opentrack-rift-release.zip'. Could you try those files please?
lovelyhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lovelyhead »

By jove I think you've done it!

I pasted those files in and the Rift is in the list. Will test now.
lovelyhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lovelyhead »

Yes I can confirm that the release version of your files work on my computer!

They work really well! I played about 6 laps of Monza in GTR2 and there was absolutely no drift at all. Very impressive! Before I was having to re-centre the view at least once a lap.

A couple of small bugs still exist though. When you use a keyboard shortcut to centre the view (not that you need to!) it crashes opentrack. Also when you stop the tracking process by clicking the stop button in opentrack, it also crashes.

Apart from that though this is superb work.

I will be pointing a lot of people from the sim racing community to this thread!
raeldor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raeldor »

That's great! Not sure what the difference is. I compiled for release instead of debug. Weird. Maybe the debug version is somehow loosely coupled to something.

Does it always crash when you hit stop, even if you hit stop soon after you hit start? Or is it only when you play the game inbetween?

I can take no credit for this work. I only compiled for the new release of the SDK and fixed a couple of things that needed changing because the SDK changed. All the credit goes to the original guys who wrote this stuff (whoever they may be :P).
lovelyhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lovelyhead »

raeldor wrote:That's great! Not sure what the difference is. I compiled for release instead of debug. Weird. Maybe the debug version is somehow loosely coupled to something.

Does it always crash when you hit stop, even if you hit stop soon after you hit start? Or is it only when you play the game inbetween?

I can take no credit for this work. I only compiled for the new release of the SDK and fixed a couple of things that needed changing because the SDK changed. All the credit goes to the original guys who wrote this stuff (whoever they may be :P).
Yes it crashes every time even if I hit stop straight away after hitting start. I started and stopped all the other sources and none of them crashed.
raeldor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raeldor »

Can you confirm you updated your Rift firmware to 0.18?

Return to “Oculus VR”