Google Street View... Superb

Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Google Street View... Superb

Post by Unclebob »

Not seen this posted here and is it soaked up my Sunday afternoon I suspect others will enjoy it.

None of this is my work so credit where credit is due

Google Street view is pretty low spec, great for a laptop and New York is particularly awesome.

Use Chrome

Enable this plug in for the Rift instructions at the bottom of the page. Good for MACS as well!!

https://github.com/benvanik/vr.js

Go to

http://oculusstreetview.eu.pn/?lat=44.3 ... &heading=0

Use the map to select where you want to be.

Double click space bar to get rid of menu, double click to get it back.
Look around in 3d
To move the scene without head movement click and hold mouse button - useful to re-orientate
Double click mouse button to move down roads

I spent several evenings in Courtney Place Wellington NZ...bizarrely that was when I ended up inside some of the buildings..

Now that was a star trek teleport surprise moment

Enjoy
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
Bleppe
Cross Eyed!

Re: Google Street View... Superb

Post by Bleppe »

This will be so awesome :woot
Can't wait until I get my Rift so I can try it out.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

This was one of the first Rift demos and made the rounds briefly a few months ago. Not sure why it hasn't generated as much excitement as other things. It basically never gets a mention. But I think it's cool as sh*t, and it's in my top 3 favorite Rift applications.
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

brantlew wrote:This was one of the first Rift demos and made the rounds briefly a few months ago. Not sure why it hasn't generated as much excitement as other things. It basically never gets a mention. But I think it's cool as sh*t, and it's in my top 3 favorite Rift applications.
Yup, completely agree.

Easy to set up
Easy to get to grips with
No motion sickness
A world to explore...
UB

adventurer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by adventurer »

this type of experience is meant for VR. I think with the 1080 Rift, the oculus street view will be more popular if the ability to walk around is enable. Image the next step, google 360 video street view instead of picture street view, would be amazing :woot
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Excellent job. Looks very natural. I just noticed while testing this in my Rift that in the latest photo for my address, there is a stranger on my driveway next to the house, looking at it when nobody was home (no car in driveway). Hmm...
aikakana
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by aikakana »

adventurer wrote:this type of experience is meant for VR. I think with the 1080 Rift, the oculus street view will be more popular if the ability to walk around is enable. Image the next step, google 360 video street view instead of picture street view, would be amazing :woot
And imagine the next step being freely roamable streetview! They have all the 3D data from the laser scanners in those cars and they must be implementing a way to map the point cloud stuff back to easily renderable format. That would be so awesome! Compared to Nokia's & Apple's 3D maps this would be a huge improvement as the textures & models would be really really detailed.
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

aikakana wrote:
adventurer wrote:this type of experience is meant for VR. I think with the 1080 Rift, the oculus street view will be more popular if the ability to walk around is enable. Image the next step, google 360 video street view instead of picture street view, would be amazing :woot
And imagine the next step being freely roamable streetview! They have all the 3D data from the laser scanners in those cars and they must be implementing a way to map the point cloud stuff back to easily renderable format. That would be so awesome! Compared to Nokia's & Apple's 3D maps this would be a huge improvement as the textures & models would be really really detailed.
You can roam already... simply drag the mouse over the road and double click as usual.

For some reason you can only travel small steps but it works... :D
UB

aikakana
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by aikakana »

Unclebob wrote:
aikakana wrote:
You can roam already... simply drag the mouse over the road and double click as usual.

For some reason you can only travel small steps but it works... :D
I have a poor understanding of sarcasm and had to check if I had missed something :D
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

That abandoned Island on the last 007 bond film is now got street view coverage, including the boat ride there.

http://io9.com/japans-abandoned-battles ... -619013477

Worth checking out....

http://goo.gl/maps/jNmCu

Insane
UB

hal10000
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hal10000 »

Has anyone made a video of this working? I would love to see it in action from someone with an OR.
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

Unclebob wrote: Double click space bar to get rid of menu, double click to get it back.
Look around in 3d
Is it really 3d? It looks like 2d images to me.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

geekmaster wrote:Excellent job. Looks very natural. I just noticed while testing this in my Rift that in the latest photo for my address, there is a stranger on my driveway next to the house, looking at it when nobody was home (no car in driveway). Hmm...
That is a Rift out of body experience. It is you looking at your VR presence in the VR World.
But there is only one way I can prove this geekmaster, so answer honestly...geekmaster, Is that man wearing your pants ?...LOL
3dRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3dRat »

Paladia wrote:
Unclebob wrote: Double click space bar to get rid of menu, double click to get it back.
Look around in 3d
Is it really 3d? It looks like 2d images to me.
what you talking about? is outstanding 3d stereo!!!

just kidding... once vr takes off google will have to re-capture ALL, I hope then they does not blur faces or boobies!! :lol:
cadcoke5
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cadcoke5 »

On Slashgear they mentioned that Google Maps would work with Google Cardboard. They gave these steps to activate it,
0. Make sure your smartphone is horizontal.
1. Open a location in Street View in Google Maps.
2. Double-tap the icon in the lower-right so that the Street View image turns stereoscopic (split in two).

http://www.slashgear.com/google-cardboa ... -13373648/

I tried some of the recommended sites, but they don't appear to be sterescopic. When I close one eye and then switch eyes, I should be able to see a parallax shift between near and far objects, but I do not.

Also, you don't seem to be able to move in Cardboard mode. But, for some sites in regular view. The places like the Pyramids certainly have a small increment for movement, which I suspect is because the pictures are taken from foot. So, the pictures are closer than when done from a car. Also, if you double-tap on a more distant location, you will move further away than if you simply tap on one of the arrows.

-Joe

Return to “Oculus VR”