3dtv.at Stereoscopic player now supports Oculus Rift

baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer

3dtv.at Stereoscopic player now supports Oculus Rift

Post by baggyg »

Hi,

I don't remember seeing any news about this but just randomly came across it. 3dtv.at's stereoscopic player (which should be familiar to a lot of you) now supports Oculus rift as an output. Its good to see a well established company / software adding support. I already use this for watching videos on a 3Dtv so this is excellent news.

http://www.3dtv.at/Downloads/Index_en.aspx

Nvidia actually distribute a branded version of this to 3D Vision / 3DTV play users so will be interesting to see if the update gets added there as well.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: 3dtv.at Stereoscopic player now supports Oculus Rift

Post by Likay »

Nvidias player only supports what the nvidia 3d-vision support. I don't know if oculus are ready to pay nvidia the fees necessary to add riftcompability to their solution so i'd say no at this moment.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
LordJuanlo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by LordJuanlo »

I already tried the demo a couple of weeks ago. It works fine as long as you don't move your head, the lack of headtracking makes it a bit uncomfortable if you move. VR Cinema 3D is way better in this aspect, but it lacks options that Stereoscopic player has, like choosing any movie file or different 3D file formats besides left/right sbs.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

LordJuanlo wrote:I already tried the demo a couple of weeks ago. It works fine as long as you don't move your head, the lack of headtracking makes it a bit uncomfortable if you move. VR Cinema 3D is way better in this aspect, but it lacks options that Stereoscopic player has, like choosing any movie file or different 3D file formats besides left/right sbs.
I'm looking forward to give the VR cinema a try when my rift arrives. I must admit even using Sony's HMZ I often find myself trying to move me head to see some action on the periphery. I imagine this must be even worse on the rift (without headtracking).
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Headtracking and movies? While i can understand that it's possible to "do" i doubt it will be done in a feasible way. Wouldn't the image be skewed/distorted enough to make you turn off a feature like headtracking (i am talking about movieviewing now though).
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

Watch a Movie and nothing happens when you move your head is... uncomfortable.
It works really well with Headtracking. Its like you watch at a huge screen in front of you.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Ok. Isn't the loss of resolution and scaling artifacts annoying enough to turn it off?
IGameArt
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by IGameArt »

Likay wrote:Ok. Isn't the loss of resolution and scaling artifacts annoying enough to turn it off?
I dont think you understand what he means. Quite literally if you were to move our head without the view in the rift changing you could very easily get motion sick. Without it, its possible that you might actually not be able to see parts of the movie that go into your periphery. Motion tracking isnt just some feature that you can or should disable. It's something essential to keep you from feeling ill.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Oh, i do understand. My point is that moviewatching is technically very different from playing a game or reside in another kind of virtual environment.
A movie will present you to a scene but practically you can't move around that scene like in a computed virtual world because the scene is fixed. The camera has a fixed location which of obvious reasons can't be altered once the movie is shot.
It's probably possible to make a tracking software which can manipulate a moviescene but practically i would not expect something better than an automatic 2d-to-3d conversion.
So: While tracking is necessary to provide a good and realistic experience in games or other virtual worlds it seems rather pointless to implement in a mediaplayer (unless the screen is so big that it uses the whole fov and tracking will be necessary to see what happens in the eges of the screen, pretty much like sitting in the first row in a cinema). I'm kinda curious of VR Cinema 3D's practical use of headtracking.
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Likay wrote:Oh, i do understand. My point is that moviewatching is technically very different from playing a game or reside in another kind of virtual environment.
A movie will present you to a scene but practically you can't move around that scene like in a computed virtual world because the scene is fixed. The camera has a fixed location which of obvious reasons can't be altered once the movie is shot.
It's probably possible to make a tracking software which can manipulate a moviescene but practically i would not expect something better than an automatic 2d-to-3d conversion.
So: While tracking is necessary to provide a good and realistic experience in games or other virtual worlds it seems rather pointless to implement in a mediaplayer (unless the screen is so big that it uses the whole fov and tracking will be necessary to see what happens in the eges of the screen, pretty much like sitting in the first row in a cinema). I'm kinda curious of VR Cinema 3D's practical use of headtracking.
I dont think anyone is talking about being able to look around a scene.

Without headtracking watching a movie on the rift is like going to a cinema but then having your head clamped so you can only look dead ahead and even if you look down at your popcorn you still see the movie in front of you - a little bit disorientating to say the least. The movie is played at a certain plane in front of you. Head-tracking allows you to adjust your view of that plane rather than adjusting the camera angle of the shot. You are right that this is not the same as a game where effectively you are the camera, but I believe needed nevertheless.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Thank you! We're on the same track.

Return to “Oculus VR”