Can someone with a rift test my vr pong? [hydra + rift]

boone188
Cross Eyed!

Can someone with a rift test my vr pong? [hydra + rift]

Post by boone188 »

It seems that everyone wants me to work on roller coaster sims, but there's far too many ideas to be explored. I can't stop dreaming up ideas and there's just not enough time to try them all. This VR pong demo I've been working on seems like a smooth introduction into rift + hydra. I demoed it at work this afternoon and several dozen people were able to pick it up and start playing with no instruction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUhSgnU9WhY

A few notes:
- Try to line up the hydras with what you see in the rift (extend your arms all the way out) when calibrating
- Make sure the hydras aren't docked when you start the game (otherwise it will skip the calibration step)
- You really have to reach for those corners (i kind of like that, but let me know if its too annoying)

DL: https://s3.amazonaws.com/RiftCoaster/RiftPong.zip
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Re: Can someone with a rift test my vr pong? [hydra + rift]

Post by Leahy »

I don't have my Rift so can't test it yet but this looks like it could be a lot of fun once it's fleshed out. I can imagine it having better physics so you can bounce it off the walls and make it more like ping pong with four tables
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

This reminds me of Valve. You know the company working on tons of projects except the only one people cares about (Half Life 3).

It also reminds me that good things can come from this, like Portal.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

No Score/Highscore System ? *buuh* :x

It looks like a lot of potential - and fun. I also like "Pulse Rifter". I will try it later ;)
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

This cries out to be a two-player game. For that to work well across the interent, you need some P2P NAT-traversal code. I have some in my collection.
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

I definitely plan on making this PvP. Also plan on adding score keeping. That should be done this week. Plenty more planned for this.
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

So i tested it and want to write something about the lack of calibration! :x - and the orientation of the plates to the hydras feels not good (i hold them something like reverse / wrong angle). But now i re-read the first post and realise:
- Try to line up the hydras with what you see in the rift (extend your arms all the way out) when calibrating
- Make sure the hydras aren't docked when you start the game (otherwise it will skip the calibration step)
:roll: ...yes, i try it once more... :roll:
ThomasH
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ThomasH »

I love the idea of pong being the first real computer game for the masses, and having pong first on zero day of vr. BUT...please, we need more immersive stuff really for day zero vr I belive.... How about ping pong?
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

ThomasH wrote:I love the idea of pong being the first real computer game for the masses, and having pong first on zero day of vr. BUT...please, we need more immersive stuff really for day zero vr I belive.... How about ping pong?
I'm not sure what you mean by "more immersive stuff"... I have tried ping pong and it's actually less immersive than this. You can't really judge the "immersiveness" until you try it.
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

Is it just me, or is there no sound? We need some sound effects and a folder to put music files!

Make sure to let us know when an update is available. Would like some visual effects, some change in color or something.

Awesome so far!
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

Thodder7 wrote:Is it just me, or is there no sound? We need some sound effects and a folder to put music files!

Make sure to let us know when an update is available. Would like some visual effects, some change in color or something.

Awesome so far!
Yeah there are no bells and whistles in this release. Sound will be the first thing added.
the_wretched
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by the_wretched »

Surprisingly fun! Add sound and scoring and you've got yourself a nice little game here! I played for about 10 minutes and encountered 2 bugs:
1: First time the calibration fot he right Hydra ticked out and movement was inverted for some reason (so when I moved the Hydra up it'd go down), 2nd time worked fine
2: After a few rounds the opponent managed to hit the ball in a way that it left the playfield through the wall, then decided to go after it and never returned - game over I guess. ;-)

This also demonstrates well what a sense of scale the Rift offers. Watching it on the screen you expect a small narrow tunnel, when jacked in it suddenly seems like a pretty large room and I was quite surprised I could actually reach the walls with my "hands" in the game. This also reminds me of how great the Hydras are in VR (hadn't used them in over a week), nothing beats the feeling of actually reaching into the VR world. OT: they NEED to make them wireless soon, or somebody is going to get themself strangled while playing an immersive VR game down the road. The cables are a real mess...
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

the_wretched wrote:Surprisingly fun! Add sound and scoring and you've got yourself a nice little game here! I played for about 10 minutes and encountered 2 bugs:
1: First time the calibration fot he right Hydra ticked out and movement was inverted for some reason (so when I moved the Hydra up it'd go down), 2nd time worked fine
2: After a few rounds the opponent managed to hit the ball in a way that it left the playfield through the wall, then decided to go after it and never returned - game over I guess. ;-)

This also demonstrates well what a sense of scale the Rift offers. Watching it on the screen you expect a small narrow tunnel, when jacked in it suddenly seems like a pretty large room and I was quite surprised I could actually reach the walls with my "hands" in the game. This also reminds me of how great the Hydras are in VR (hadn't used them in over a week), nothing beats the feeling of actually reaching into the VR world. OT: they NEED to make them wireless soon, or somebody is going to get themself strangled while playing an immersive VR game down the road. The cables are a real mess...
Thanks for the feedback! I still have some work to do on the calibration. I have experienced issue 2 several times. I should be able to fix it pretty easily.

Return to “Oculus VR”