VR Game Design

Dr.Minky
One Eyed Hopeful

VR Game Design

Post by Dr.Minky »

Hey everyone.

Game design is a big hobby of mine and something I've done for a while, so obviously VR was something fascinating to think about. The ways it differs from normal games, things we have to take into consideration that we wouldn't before, new challenges, new opportunities: its all very exciting!

I've been posting some fairly detailed articles over on the oculus-dev forums about some of these new challenges and ideas, that may very well apply to a game you're developing. These forums seem much more active than the dev forums however, so thought I'd share them over here (and future ones) - although instead of spamming multiple posts on this forum, all the articles are linked below with a brief summary.

Very interested in any ideas people have - whether you agree or disagree with what some of the things I say, if you have feedback on these articles (I've never written things like that before) or if you think there's something specific you'd like me and everyone else to discuss (perhaps a game design problem you have with your game).

Enhanced Sound Design Realism - Two ideas on ways to better take advantage of head tracking with audio and increase immersion.
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... f=32&t=772

Full Advantages of Stereoscopic VR - Multiple different applications of using the "eyes" of the Rift in some more creative ways.
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... f=32&t=705

Inter-character Narration - Suggestion of a new system for determining character dialogue, fitting the need of story games without
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... f=32&t=672

Narrato-Ludic Dilemmas & Ludic Freedom - Problem of death breaking immersion and ludic freedom in story games
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... f=32&t=916

Cine-games - Talking about the potential crossover between cinema and gaming, the differences this will make to a games design and its implimentation
(yet to be posted)

Game Pacing and Story Progression - The changes that VR may make to the pace of a game and the progression of its story.
(yet to be posted)

Hope these are useful to someone out there! :lol:
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Email: louiswbartlett@gmail.com - Skype: louis.bartlett2
Last edited by Dr.Minky on Fri May 31, 2013 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jalaman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: VR Game Design

Post by Jalaman »

Hi Dr. Minky,

I've actually read your posts on the Oculus Developer forums and I enjoyed them, it's a good idea to link to them here since yes, it's usually a bit more active over here.

I'd love to add something more to the discussion there and/or here, but I'm more of a video guy and am preparing some VR video articles for YouTube. Forgive me if I'm a bit wary of blowing my wad on forums before I finish certain videos. ;)

And welcome to the MTBS3D forums!
NegativeCamber
Cross Eyed!

Post by NegativeCamber »

The voice reverb is a good idea, unfortunately most soundcards have huge recording latency so it's a no-go for 1st person, would be good for OTHER players, although intelligibility may suffer.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

This is kind of a wasted opportunity. I cringe when people put these super detailed posts together because posts get buried and forgotten with time, and it's a missed opportunity. You should be submitting this as an MTBS article or series of articles that have forum threads attached. PM me if there is interest. I haven't verified your articles yet, but I think some of our best stuff is material contributed by the community.

Regards,
Neil
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I haven't read them yet, but I will, this type of discussion interests me.
Dr.Minky
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dr.Minky »

NegativeCamber wrote:The voice reverb is a good idea, unfortunately most soundcards have huge recording latency so it's a no-go for 1st person, would be good for OTHER players, although intelligibility may suffer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQt1jtDBNK4

Here's an vastly improved audio system for games that a group developed, in which they're running crazy dynamic audio reverb in real time. If the same software could only process the reverb of your voice instead of your voice AND the reverb then technically it should sound just fine. Live feedback of an audio with a very short delay is very jarring, but if the delay you hear IS the reverb of the source then it should fit in without sounding strange.

Return to “Oculus VR”