(Rift Demo Download) Architectural Visualization

Brouchoud
One Eyed Hopeful

(Rift Demo Download) Architectural Visualization

Post by Brouchoud »

Here's the demo download: http://archvirtual.com/2013/05/28/rift- ... alization/

Ever since my dev kit arrived, I've been having a blast doing architectural visualization demos. This one is a residential project we recently completed. If you know any architects or real estate developers who might enjoy this, please send it their way! We're looking for our next gig.

Cheers,
Jon Brouchoud

Arch Virtual
http://www.archvirtual.com

mattyeatsmatts
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: (Rift Demo Download) Architectural Visualization

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Very Cool I was hoping the rift would get used like this. I started modelling my own dream house a couple months back in sketchup and imported the progress of it into Unity and it worked very well but yeah my Unity skills are poor so mite scrap it and start playing with your application.
Last edited by mattyeatsmatts on Tue May 28, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

This looks cool, thanks for sharing it :)

...I may wear my rift every time I come home and pretend this is my house. Much cheaper than moving ;)
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

I like the "consumer v1 concept" rifts on the table, and the Oculus eye rug.
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

thanks so much! i been waiting to see people come up with stuff like this. I think that would be a great use for the Rift since you really get a since of space.

i has a requests makes lots more of these ok? heck maybe you could make a virtual neighborhood of various houses and buildings that a user could walk in and explore or something :-)

I honestly think the Rift would be great for just exploring places. Even strip out the "gameplay elements" Like as they say you really feel like your in the world so ...the idea of being able to explore places and houses and things like that to me i think would be awesome.

I mean lets face it you have a cool game with nice graphics and all but how much time do you really spend exploring it? Sure you may look around in games like skyrim and say ooh this is pretty but its really just an image on a flat screen. even in 3d its nice but you really dont get a since of "scale" because its still on a screen. having a wide feild of view and being able to physically look around i think would make you feel more in the world. the evirioment itself feels like a charterer :-).

great stuffs please make as many of these if you can really i would love to see more! this is the stuff i think the Rift would be awesome for!
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

OMG, wrong thread. Whoops.

edit: Well, since I'm here... I have downloaded this, and it will probably be one of the first things I try with the Rift. I really like visiting interesting places (main reason I bought the dev kit Rift), and seeing architectural designs in first person is a really good use of VR. I wouldn't be surprised if the architect community is the first industry to widely adopt consumer VR.
NeoCortex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NeoCortex »

In my opinion the ability to "really be in there" is what makes the combination of architectural models and the Rift such a wonderful combination.
I wouldnt call it "the killer application" but it might for sure kindle a widespread interest in VR.
Coming from the worlds of second life and opensim i really hope some guys will tackle the hurdle of bringing Rift support to the viewers for those environments soon (those are usually openGL based and come in flavours for Windows, Linux and Mac's).
This would literaly open thousands of existing worlds to 3D visitors!
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Also glad to see this. Architectural Visualization is one of the most practical and best uses of the technology that I can think of and potentially a game-changer for the real estate industry.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Is there something similar to Sketchup or Homestyler that a young couple with limited money can use together with the Rift? The ArchVirtual stuff looks amazing, but at least one of their blog posts said it cost ~$12K to create the visualization for a building. I'm guessing their market is big commercial developers, not tinkerers on a budget :P
Brouchoud
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brouchoud »

Zoide wrote:Is there something similar to Sketchup or Homestyler that a young couple with limited money can use together with the Rift? The ArchVirtual stuff looks amazing, but at least one of their blog posts said it cost ~$12K to create the visualization for a building. I'm guessing their market is big commercial developers, not tinkerers on a budget :P
If you have SketchUp pro, you can export a design out as .FBX and bring it into Unity fairly easily. From there, you just drag an OVR prefab player into the scene and build it. There's certainly a learning curve, but something a dedicated tinkerer on a budget can pull off! =)
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Brouchoud wrote:
Zoide wrote:Is there something similar to Sketchup or Homestyler that a young couple with limited money can use together with the Rift? The ArchVirtual stuff looks amazing, but at least one of their blog posts said it cost ~$12K to create the visualization for a building. I'm guessing their market is big commercial developers, not tinkerers on a budget :P
If you have SketchUp pro, you can export a design out as .FBX and bring it into Unity fairly easily. From there, you just drag an OVR prefab player into the scene and build it. There's certainly a learning curve, but something a dedicated tinkerer on a budget can pull off! =)
Wow... $590 for SketchUp Pro :( I was hoping for a very basic tool like Autodesk Homestyler (which is free) which would let you walk inside the room/house. Thanks, though.
Brouchoud
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brouchoud »

Zoide wrote:
Brouchoud wrote:
Wow... $590 for SketchUp Pro :( I was hoping for a very basic tool like Autodesk Homestyler (which is free) which would let you walk inside the room/house. Thanks, though.
I wonder what formats Homestyler can export out to? If it can do FBX, you might be in business.
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

Zoide wrote:
Brouchoud wrote:

There are routes from basic sketchup to get fix using an in between app to convert
dbuckvs
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by dbuckvs »

Zoide wrote:
Brouchoud wrote:
The free sketchup can export to Collada (.dae) which imports into unity fine.
got a rift and a hydra? check out a thing it's a hot mess of control schemes and ideas, but it's fun.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

dbuckvs wrote:The free sketchup can export to Collada (.dae) which imports into unity fine.
Interesting! "All versions of SketchUp can export DAE and KMZ files."

Thanks a lot, I'll try that when I get a chance. :)
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

One thing to note with sketchup files are that they are very unoptimized and work fine for apps like this but should not be used for game assets : )
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

I'd be interested in any tutorials that might help with this kind of workflow (sketchup -> unity -> visualisation). Unless it would be something covered in any basic unity beginners guide?
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

You pretty much only need to export your model as collada and then import it to Unity from what i know.
And if you really need fbx you can use blender to convert the model.

Return to “Oculus VR”