Post by mattyeatsmatts »

If you havent seen it yet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIkarGwxKpk
[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h54Nfm-8Md8&hd=1[/youtube-hd]
[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwdssKgtMXY&hd=1[/youtube-hd]
Setup Guide:
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... 272#p14272

Thanks to mbuehler & ammonthenephite
Last edited by mattyeatsmatts on Wed May 29, 2013 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
museumsteve
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: F1 2012 Rifted (video) thanks to mbuehler & Co

Post by museumsteve »

Amazing work chaps :)
My primary gaming is racers and this is awesome news. Is it a safe bet that any of the Codies games will do the same?
Now just need some friendly people to do the same with rFactor based games and Simbin racers and I wont need to wait for vorpx
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

museumsteve wrote:Amazing work chaps :)
My primary gaming is racers and this is awesome news. Is it a safe bet that any of the Codies games will do the same?
Now just need some friendly people to do the same with rFactor based games and Simbin racers and I wont need to wait for vorpx
It seems a safe bet you can get any of them working using a variation of this method. If you can get the game into Side by Side mode you are home free. IZ3D was too unstable, kept crashing. I'd tried Tridef earlier (and failed) but Ammonthenephite gave it a second go and found the way around the problem. It works quite well, and makes the racing (especially Monaco!) quite fun. Tridef supports a TON of games, so I think any game will work at this point (visually anyway).
Chris 180°
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chris 180° »

I wonder how the 3D effect is working, because it seems to me, that left and right is swapped (like in the Crysis3 VorpX demo video).
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

Chris 180° wrote:I wonder how the 3D effect is working, because it seems to me, that left and right is swapped (like in the Crysis3 VorpX demo video).

My IPD is over 70, so if you have a notably smaller spacing, this will look odd if not outright broken, sorry! Folks with 60 see notable doubling in the background.
museumsteve
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by museumsteve »

mbuehler wrote:
museumsteve wrote:Amazing work chaps :)
It seems a safe bet you can get any of them working using a variation of this method. If you can get the game into Side by Side mode you are home free. IZ3D was too unstable, kept crashing. I'd tried Tridef earlier (and failed) but Ammonthenephite gave it a second go and found the way around the problem. It works quite well, and makes the racing (especially Monaco!) quite fun. Tridef supports a TON of games, so I think any game will work at this point (visually anyway).
Thanks for the reply :)
I started having a play around last night with Game Stock Car 2012 (rFactor based) and Project CARS, both with varied results but heading in the right direction.

Is there a thread just for this stuff...seems to be a good way forward for some.
Chris 180°
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chris 180° »

mbuehler wrote:
Chris 180° wrote:I wonder how the 3D effect is working, because it seems to me, that left and right is swapped (like in the Crysis3 VorpX demo video).

My IPD is over 70, so if you have a notably smaller spacing, this will look odd if not outright broken, sorry! Folks with 60 see notable doubling in the background.
IPD is not the point. Lets say you want to look as far right as you can with just one eye. Which eye would you use? I'd take the right one.
In the first video however, the left eye (left side image) is capable of seeing more content on the right side. You dont need to start the video to see it. Just compare the FOV of both images.
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

Chris 180° wrote:
mbuehler wrote:

IPD is not the point. Lets say you want to look as far right as you can with just one eye. Which eye would you use? I'd take the right one.
In the first video however, the left eye (left side image) is capable of seeing more content on the right side. You dont need to start the video to see it. Just compare the FOV of both images.
If I put my Rift on right now, that will be in 3D (perfect for me, as it is a FRAPS capture of me driving with my settings). If ammonthenephite watches it, it is 3D for him too, but strains his eyes.

I've seen several ways of Side by Side 3D working. With even spacing (moving both eyes apart) to increase seperation, moving just the right eye and moving just the left eye. Tridef (used for this one) moves one eye, and lets you swap witch is "dominant". When we did War Thunder, we used IZ3D, which moves both eyes apart, so the images appear more similair, yet in fact are still equally different.

I sort of prefer IZ3D, as it seems Tridef makes me look like I'm sitting a little to one side or the other, not dead center.
vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by vittorio »

You can setup tridef too to move both eyes via the on screen display. I have always used this mode in tridef, for interlaced mode though, but i'm sure it's there for SBS too (I can't be more precise cause I don't have access to windows right now).
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

How did you get the warping with TriDef? What about the aspect ratio?
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

cybereality wrote:How did you get the warping with TriDef? What about the aspect ratio?
Somebody over at OculusVR.com made an overlay a few months back. You can specify a region of the screen, in this case where we have side-by-side video running, and it will mirror and lense it onto the rift. It has been an absolute gold mine for getting games working that Vireio wasn't compatible with (War Thunder is another).

It has a surprisingly high frame rate too. The setup is a lot trickier then Vireio, but it will hold us over until newer versions of that come out that work with those games.

Aspect ratio has been trial and error. Not a big deal in Formula 1, but in War Thunder where you can roll the whole plane over, you need to get it right or the distortion will make you ill quickly :)

Return to “Oculus VR”