Kraken - Sea Horror demo

rat2255
One Eyed Hopeful

Kraken - Sea Horror demo

Post by rat2255 »

Hey Guys, I just finished my first demo app for the Oculus rift!

It's a horror game that plays off of the fear of the sea.

What do you think?

Download:
Kraken Windows
Kraken Mac (may freeze after startup, I'm looking into this)

some screenies:
anthonyp461
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Kraken - Sea Horror demo

Post by anthonyp461 »

Hi,

I tried your demo on my OR and found it very dark and wasn't sure where to go or what to do? I came out the cave but couldn't see much? :)
rat2255
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rat2255 »

there is a lighthouse in the distance right when you come out of the cave. ;)
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

Unable to try this on the Rift yet but tried it on a monitor , yes it is a little dark in places but looks interesting and im looking forward to trying it RIFTED
Thanks for sharing your demo with us rat2255 8-)
And as far as a first demo go's i would say thats pretty awesome.
Joeyjoe9876
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Joeyjoe9876 »

Just tried this out on my Rift.
saw the lighthouse, but the entire thing is really dark. after seeing the lighthouse I'm not really sure what I was supposed to be doing so I just walked around in the darkness for a bit.
rat2255
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rat2255 »

Joeyjoe9876 wrote:Just tried this out on my Rift.
saw the lighthouse, but the entire thing is really dark. after seeing the lighthouse I'm not really sure what I was supposed to be doing so I just walked around in the darkness for a bit.
Try walking towards the lighthouse, make sure you have headphones on though.
cerulianbaloo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cerulianbaloo »

Aziz light!
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

AMG I FINALLY FINISHED IT - SPOILERS AHEAD RAWR ...

So like, I get out of the cave and see the lighthouse. So I start walking to the lighthouse and the waves gradually overtake me. I then finally end up in pitch black with bubbles occasionally.

At this point, I really have no idea if im moving forward. I spent a while trying to see if i could swim back to the surface, but you can't. So eventually I figure i'm supposed to walk to the lighthouse. So I line myself up before I drop in the water too far and basically press forward.

and forward

and forward

and I'm starting to wonder whats going on...so i keep pressing forward...

and the music gets weird but I really can't tell if i've hit the lighthouse already it's basically pitch black, can't swim and can't really do anything other then press ..you get it forward

and the music gets weirder, i can't figure if its because it's on a timer or i'm getting somewhere...so i press forward still pitch black

and more forward

and i peak out of my rift to see if i'm missing something or it crashed, nope! forward we go

and finally something happens...okay so SPOILERS alert

faint eyes appear. They are locked to the head tracking so it appears more like UI then something actually in the water (suggestion #1, shouldn't be locked to your headtracking)

The eyes get larger and brighter...music stronger and more ambienty...

You still can't move, the eyes are still locked to your head tracking so might as well be a HUD item. Then they are in your face game over.

So suggestion list:

1) Eyes from I guess monster at end should be an object that can be looked at properly..or something other then locked to your headtracking like a UI or menu would be

2) Some indicator something is going on or shorten up the whole ocean thing. It took me 4 tries before I finally told myself no matter how bored i get i'll sit through the experience waiting for something to happen

3) I spent a great deal of time assuming something was wrong because I couldn't swim, jump or do much other then walk head first into the ocean. Some indication that this is normal and no action is needed would help (even if it's just a control scheme in the readme that shows me theres no jumping or stuff)

4) Music was ambient enough, no problems there. Bubbles were good, about the only indicator i knew something was going on heh.
rat2255
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rat2255 »

defactoman wrote:AMG I FINALLY FINISHED IT - SPOILERS AHEAD RAWR ...

So like, I get out of the cave and see the lighthouse. So I start walking to the lighthouse and the waves gradually overtake me. I then finally end up in pitch black with bubbles occasionally.

At this point, I really have no idea if im moving forward. I spent a while trying to see if i could swim back to the surface, but you can't. So eventually I figure i'm supposed to walk to the lighthouse. So I line myself up before I drop in the water too far and basically press forward.

and forward

and forward

and I'm starting to wonder whats going on...so i keep pressing forward...

and the music gets weird but I really can't tell if i've hit the lighthouse already it's basically pitch black, can't swim and can't really do anything other then press ..you get it forward

and the music gets weirder, i can't figure if its because it's on a timer or i'm getting somewhere...so i press forward still pitch black

and more forward

and i peak out of my rift to see if i'm missing something or it crashed, nope! forward we go

and finally something happens...okay so SPOILERS alert

faint eyes appear. They are locked to the head tracking so it appears more like UI then something actually in the water (suggestion #1, shouldn't be locked to your headtracking)

The eyes get larger and brighter...music stronger and more ambienty...

You still can't move, the eyes are still locked to your head tracking so might as well be a HUD item. Then they are in your face game over.

So suggestion list:

1) Eyes from I guess monster at end should be an object that can be looked at properly..or something other then locked to your headtracking like a UI or menu would be

2) Some indicator something is going on or shorten up the whole ocean thing. It took me 4 tries before I finally told myself no matter how bored i get i'll sit through the experience waiting for something to happen

3) I spent a great deal of time assuming something was wrong because I couldn't swim, jump or do much other then walk head first into the ocean. Some indication that this is normal and no action is needed would help (even if it's just a control scheme in the readme that shows me theres no jumping or stuff)

4) Music was ambient enough, no problems there. Bubbles were good, about the only indicator i knew something was going on heh.

awesome review!!, the ever increasing music was supposed to be an indication of progression throughout, although I don't think many picked up on that and quit before the ending, I was trying to go for the whole, pitch black psychological unease aspect. I just uploaded the newest version which has a few surprises, and a better (creepier?) way of indicating progression throughout.
Lookforyourhands

Post by Lookforyourhands »

Thanks for the awesome demo !

Just noticed when I initially jacked into your demo, it seems to have wayyy less motion blur
than any other demo I've tried so far. The head tracking is like perfect.
Then again I read on another demo posted recently to use the DVI port instead of the HDMI with your Rift so I
switched it to a HDMI->DVI adapter and I swear the experience is better with every thing I've tried.
But most noticeable in your demo. I really felt like I was in a cave, I just stood there for 5 minutes looking
around.. Even expected the water to be cold ! Anyway, really like the creepy element of going under water. haha
It's definitely one of my fears (deep water and strange sea creatures) I found myself saying "no, no I don't want to
as I was going under" haha :lol:
rat2255
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rat2255 »

Lookforyourhands wrote:Thanks for the awesome demo !

Just noticed when I initially jacked into your demo, it seems to have wayyy less motion blur
Then again I read on another demo posted recently to use the DVI port instead of the HDMI with your Rift so I
switched it to a HDMI->DVI adapter and I swear the experience is better with every thing I've tried.
But most noticeable in your demo. I really felt like I was in a cave, I just stood there for 5 minutes looking
around.. Even expected the water to be cold ! Anyway, really like the creepy element of going under water. haha
It's definitely one of my fears (deep water and strange sea creatures) I found myself saying "no, no I don't want to
haha, I'm glad you enjoyed it! the realisticness might be because of the limited poly count which boosts the frame rate,
and at the beginning the wave sounds are recorded using a binaural microphone, which gives them an extra hint of realism ;)
That DVI trick sounds pretty neat, although, I'm developing this demo on my laptop so all I have access to is HDMI at the moment.
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

the problem I had were fixed in 1.2.

I still don't relate to the character, but this time i was not in the dark for +5mn.
^_^

On a side bug note :

SPOILER

At the end, the last pair of eyes, if you move your head, you can see the other pail behind them on the edge when you turn your head around.
The compression is too visible on the last pair. (up rez or use the same bigger for each eye)

In case you are open to suggestions :
If you use a simple poly like that, why not getting a little life into them. (another black billboard to simulate blinking or a mask volume, etc...)
For the light house cone of light, use a Fresnel shader mask on the cone to give the cone soft edge. It's a trick that works perfectly.
Adding floating or glowin plancton/life could simulate a sense of depth also. Even a barely visible gradient color.
If you can swim (up adn down feeling) (with a button) losing that ability (to swim) when you go under will reinforce the feeling of danger and oppression.
A lot of bubbles when going under to simulate that event.

Keep it up ! Lots of potential !

Cheers
Last edited by OlivierJT on Thu May 23, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rat2255
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rat2255 »

OlivierJT wrote:Well the experience didn't work for me at all:
(this is a all good mood post, this is just so the experience can work)
^_^

I went underwater, couldn't swim or stay afloat... ok so there are no controls... just forward L/R/B, no swimming, let's go forward then ! (Xbox usb controller)
Consequence ?

My character doesn't need to breathe, it doesn't need to stay afloat or swim... so it's not a character, it's not me...
He goes in the dark 100% dark, nothing... faint bubbles... some sound...
15 s...
1mns.... still in the dark...

Ok got pulled out the experience by : errr i am in the complete darkness something doesn't work, or I did something wrong...
That pulled me out...

let's start again...
Round 2 :
I went all around the island (strange eyes on the rocks ^_^) and then i went to toward the light house.
Let's go to the lighthouse...

Same thing my character goes under... just like that... not a character, no life, not caring about my self. (it's just a camera then...)
Pitch black... same thing...
Some stull are floating on the water... (oh not. it's some transparency blending issues)
forward... 15s
forward.... 40s bubble sounds !
forward... 1mn
I pull the rift off and continue using my computer screen...
for..where ? 3mn...
nothing to give you a up and down beside faint bubble... no distance to gauge
where ? 100% black. 4mn40 strange squeaking scorching sounds... (maybe my sample rate is not set correctly...)
forward...
4mn45...
5mn...
5mn 08...
Ok let's stop right there...

Mmmm....
Mmmmm.... ??

(Just in case you are wondering my pc works perfectly fine)

I tried 5 times, to check things (if controls are working or if there are any swimming button ... the space bar got me surprised ^_^)
Well so nothing to see for me...
I look forward (!) to see something though ^_^
--------------------
FYI : (output log)
(Filename: Line: 1441)
[mecanim]: BindSkeleton: cannot find Transform 'Stone_3_LOD1'
[mecanim]: BindSkeleton: cannot find Transform 'Stone_3_LOD2'
---------------------
strange, it seems like the initial event did not trigger for you at all, There was a bug where if the music stops for any reason (including changing windows, then the events restart) That might have happened to you. I just finished uploading version 1.2 which fixes that bug. The output log should have a bunch of numbers in it. If you don't see anything within the first minute and a half something is not working.
jis
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jis »

I hope we'll get some rationale about this DVI/HDMI stuff.
Lookforyourhands

Post by Lookforyourhands »

rat2255 wrote:
Lookforyourhands wrote:Thanks for the awesome demo !

haha, I'm glad you enjoyed it! the realisticness might be because of the limited poly count which boosts the frame rate,
and at the beginning the wave sounds are recorded using a binaural microphone, which gives them an extra hint of realism ;)
That DVI trick sounds pretty neat, although, I'm developing this demo on my laptop so all I have access to is HDMI at the moment.

Nope every demo I get consistant 60fps and it doesn't go lower or higher.
OlivierJT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OlivierJT »

I edited my previous post to reflect 1.2 change.

Return to “Oculus VR”