Rift need more eyebrow and cheekbones friendly design

neverman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Rift need more eyebrow and cheekbones friendly design

Post by neverman »

EDITED: it's good,it's the future ,but it's not an instant miracle,it need to be build on,it need us.

today I received my oculus rift and of course I put it on right way .

Picture my face as P.S.Y(the guangnam style singer.)

The first thing I notice is FOV is not as wild as I assumed(left and right panel all the way down make sure it get as close as it can)
Then I try to push the headset close to my eyeballs.but before that my cheek is already hurt.unlike 3d glasses.the weight doesn't come down to nose,but the cheek. At this time my cheek and eyebrow hurt but my eyeballs are no where close to "eyelash brush glass"

FOV aside, if I want to keep my cheek relaxed,I have to loose the HMD until it won't play along with my head,that means if move head look around,it won't move with my head 100%.

I think this is caused by my big-wild face with high eyebrow and cheekbone. So when oculus rift finally come to Asia as a cusumer product. Make sure you find some Asians to try it. It's just like the first gen Xbox controller ,not so fit. Only this time the oculus rift is a little small.

As other impression,other rifters already put better words.
Last edited by neverman on Wed May 15, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oculus rift,it's here,I'm there.
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Re: Rift need more eyebrow and cheekbones friendly design

Post by Rickardo69 »

well this is great
After hearing you go on and on about not being able to wait untill you get your hands on it , and with all the mix up with destination address for it.
You finally have it and the first words about it are negative . Unbelievable.
Philpax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Philpax »

Rickardo69 wrote:well this is great
After hearing you go on and on about not being able to wait untill you get your hands on it , and with all the mix up with destination address for it.
So? First impressions are important, and he's suggesting a very real issue here: that it doesn't necessarily fit on certain facial structures. The more information Oculus gets about this issue, the more they can use to help rectify the issue for later HMDs.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Good of you to post the constructive critic, maybe that really is an issue they are not aware of and that needs addressing with the Asian market. Maybe the solution could be as simple as changing the form of the cushions.
You might want to take good photos of your face after wearing it a while, so you they can see where too much pressure was applied and then send them over to Oculus.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Rickardo69 wrote:well this is great
I think his complains are justified and it is exactly what Oculus VR needs, they need suggestions on how to improve the device for the consumer version.
This was for me personally the first time hearing this specific complain about the Rift.
I really think that these minor complains are going to help the consumer version in the long run.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

neverman wrote:... Then I try to push the headset close to my eyeballs.but before that my cheek is already hurt.unlike 3d glasses.the weight doesn't come down to nose,but the cheek. At this time my cheek and eyebrow hurt but my eyeballs are no where close to "eyelash brush glass"

FOV aside, if I want to keep my cheek relaxed,I have to loose the HMD until it won't play along with my head,that means if move head look around,it won't move with my head 100%.

I think this is caused by my big-wild face with high eyebrow and cheekbone. So when oculus rift finally come to Asia as a cusumer product. Make sure you find some Asians to try it. It's just like the first gen Xbox controller ,not so fit. Only this time the oculus rift is a little small. ...
I agree that this is a valid complaint, however there is a quick potential fix that I will suggest:

You may want to try removing the foam like I did (carefully so it can be glued back on later). That frees up a lot of space near the cheekbones and eyebrow ridges, and I am certain that it will fit your face much better with little or no remaining foam. In my experience, you will probably still need a little foam between the eyebrows to maintain a perpendicular view through the lenses, and you may need to back the lenses away from your eyes a little with the coin-slot adjustments on the sides.

To block light entry, you can attach the foam around the outside of the facemask, so it rests against your skin but NOT between the facemask rubber and your skin. And you can always reattach the foam later if you are careful removing it.

Beware that getting your face farther into the Rift DK may put some extra pressure on your nose. You can trim the offending rubber gasket at an angle a bit if that will help relieve some of the pressure.
Last edited by geekmaster on Wed May 15, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
neverman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by neverman »

As I said, others put better words on other side,such as FOV, Blury,tracking ,UDK.
I can only provide some new information on this problem,and maybe ,this issue effect only a few people,I don't know.
I believe as a oculus rift backer, a developer for this kit. I need to be honest and point out any possible issue for the design team.
Okay,I think I need to put a few words before all those I said above.

It's good ,it's the future ,but it can't become a miracle instantly .it need us.
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

I did jump on that post hastily i must admit sorry neverman
Its true that all information gathered especially the negative comments , Oculus can learn from and improve future products.
Measure twice cut once, read twice post once :oops:
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

This was an issue that Virtuality identified in the 90s and iirc they actually did or researched Asian versions of the faceplate to allow for the different bone structures.

As suggested above this kind of feedback is essential for Oculus not just the same old comments about screendoor etc etc that are already identified. I'd suggest neverman emails his comments to Oculus if he hasn't already.
neverman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by neverman »

geekmaster wrote:
neverman wrote:... Then I try to push the headset close to my eyeballs.but before that my cheek is already hurt.unlike 3d glasses.the weight doesn't come down to nose,but the cheek. At this time my cheek and eyebrow hurt but my eyeballs are no where close to "eyelash brush glass"

I think this is caused by my big-wild face with high eyebrow and cheekbone. So when oculus rift finally come to Asia as a cusumer product. Make sure you find some Asians to try it. It's just like the first gen Xbox controller ,not so fit. Only this time the oculus rift is a little small. ...
I agree that this is a valid complaint, however there is a quick potential fix that I will suggest:

You may want to try removing the foam like I did (carefully so it can be glued back on later). That frees up a lot of space near the cheekbones and eyebrow ridges, and I am certain that it will fit your face much better with little or no remaining foam. In my experience, you will probably still need a little foam between the eyebrows to maintain a perpendicular view through the lenses, and you may need to back the lenses away from your eyes a little with the coin-slot adjustments on the sides.

To block light entry, you can attach the foam around the outside of the facemask, so it rests against your skin but NOT between the facemask rubber and your skin. And you can always reattach the foam later if you are careful removing it.

Beware that getting your face farther into the Rift DK may put some extra pressure on your nose. You can trim the offending rubber gasket at an angle a bit if that will help relieve some of the pressure.
Thank you! But I won't do this right now for some reasons:
1: it's a signed version
2: My face is typicall Mongoloid race face, but not my friends. They may not need this. I want they try so I can provide more details on this subject

So what I am going to do,is to order another.
neverman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by neverman »

Rickardo69 wrote:I did jump on that post hastily i must admit sorry neverman
Its true that all information gathered especially the negative comments , Oculus can learn from and improve future products.
Come on,rifter! We are all good!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

neverman wrote:... Thank you! But I won't do this right now for some reasons:
1: it's a signed version
2: My face is typicall Mongoloid race face, but not my friends. They may not need this. I want they try so I can provide more details on this subject

So what I am going to do,is to order another.
Yeah, if mine were signed, I would be hesitant to mod it too.

Now I like your attitude: if the first one doesn't fit, then order another one! Yeah! :D

To be honest, I usually buy two of just about anything so I can hack one of them, but I only have one Rift DK. The only thing special about it is that I received it before GDC 2013, in that first batch of 300.
usb247
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by usb247 »

How big are your eyebrows?
Visual Knight
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Visual Knight »

neverman wrote:
I understand China limits people on browsing certain websites due to political and culture reasons. Is MTBS3D and Oculus China friendly?- can you still continue as a developer in China having no problems?
AMD 8 Core 8150FX CPU OC'ed to 3.9Ghz / XFX AMD 7990 6GB Video / 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM / 256GB Kingston SSDNOW Sold-State Drive / Windows 7 64-bit / Sony 3D monitor
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Hahah lets not even go there Visual Knight, don't want to get our friends blocked! ;")
neverman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by neverman »

Visual Knight wrote:
neverman wrote:
I understand China limits people on browsing certain websites due to political and culture reasons. Is MTBS3D and Oculus China friendly?- can you still continue as a developer in China having no problems?
Yes , both mtbs and oculus dev center china friendly !
China block some site , for they can spread information too fast to control . Like…YouTube Facebook twitter bbc
As suck as it already is , sometimes the GWF(great firewall for official , but we call its great fxxxxxx wall) block some sites for no reason . IMDB …Vimeo…
I will be heading back to China in 3 days. The last two months I spend in U.S are unforgettable . Beautiful country , friendly faces everywhere. I will be back for sure !
"We will meet again, don't know where ,don't know when...but I know we will meet again in a sunny day!"

Return to “Oculus VR”