War Thunder Officially Rifted

mattyeatsmatts
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

War Thunder Officially Rifted

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

EDIT: Game is now Officially Rift supported witht the new latest patch 1.31, just tick the box and you are in the plane!

A couple of guys have managed to get the Rift working on the Free to play dogfighting plane game War Thunder, the instuctions and impressions are here
http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/ ... ntry401398

Install Instructions:
http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/ ... /?p=441580

Special thanks to: LtJWSimmons670th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUZaE52hAo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mImcRHsdAvk
[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqS7LXlz9GU&hd=1[/youtube-hd]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldq85czEjik

War Thunder's Devs have received their dev kit
https://mobile.twitter.com/WarThunderEN ... 72/photo/1
Last edited by mattyeatsmatts on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:15 am, edited 9 times in total.
3trip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: War Thunder (dogfighting oldschool plane game) Rifted

Post by 3trip »

awesome, can't wait to see some video!
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

I saw this earlier today on the Oculus sub reddit and tryed it but I couldn't get the game to be displayed in side by side mode.
But tracking and rendering have been working fine. If any one knows why it didnt render side by side please tell me.

(The driver for side by side rendering works fine with other games.)

Edit: I also am wondering if the servers could pickup on you using a 3rd party programm to modify the game. If so they could ban you because it violates their TOS. (There always is a certain element of danger to modding online games)

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Its a free game. Be pretty hard to ban you permanently. Just dont use it on an account you've put money against.
topas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by topas »

Wow, amazing!
I am playing this game since a couple of weeks and immediately thought "damn, this game is a perfect fit for the rift".
miFFhoe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by miFFhoe »

I did read somwhere in their forums that the developers said in an Q&A that they will fix Rift support, so it will get better :)
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

They Have Positional tracking now using the Hydra, sounding very very cool.
It works really well! I'm fine tuning the zoom, I want that to default to all the way out, then just go in from there. That takes care of the FOV issue.

Having all the axis working completes the experience :) I spent about an hour in the Hellcat doing carrier takeoffs and landings. You can look around the plane now, so it is easier to land. You can read gauges very easily, just lean forward like you would in real life. Same for zooming in to look down the gunsight.

I ramped up the head "yaw" to be a little more then 1:1 so I can look completely behind me with my head turned the whole way back as opposed to needing to rotate my upper body too.

It is really cool! Everything is intuitive now, and with the constant small motions of your head the 3D shows up more as the view changes often.

I got around the distortion by making a custom resolution to run the game in. Force it in the config.ini to 1440 x 1080 windows mode. That gets you the right aspect ration in the side by side, and fills up the whole screen. The way we were doing it before only has half the pixels, so this looks much better.

IZ3D borks the gamma, so go into post processeing and pick the lighter mode (bottom of the options, forget what it is right now, will check at home).

Attach the Hydra not to the Visor, but to the perpendicular over the head strap. The rotation sensor seems to be dead center on the controller, so get that centered on your head. I bound the Hydra and Rift cables together for a cleaner / less annoying setup.

I'll probably start a new thread here with the current best setup in it, and we can take it from there with a clean slate! Will report back in tonight!
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Install Instructions Added
http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/ ... /?p=441580

Special thanks to: LtJWSimmons670th
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

How about some video of it all in action?

I16s doing stunts, P38s buzzing a carrier fleet, and a MiG 15 going up like the space shuttle / hugging the ground at full speed :)

Formatted for the rift, just pick 1080p, full screen it and enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mImcRHsdAvk&hd=1
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

can't get IZ3D to install on Windows 8.
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Thanks mbuehler it looks incredible!
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

That looks as awesome as I imagined it would. Can't wait to try it in amongst the mountains.
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

Here's another video. Hellcats on carriers, Sabres in Korea, Thunderbolts at "Hidden Base" and gameplay from a Spitfire in Air Domination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqS7LXlz9GU&hd=1
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

Marulu wrote:I saw this earlier today on the Oculus sub reddit and tryed it but I couldn't get the game to be displayed in side by side mode.
But tracking and rendering have been working fine. If any one knows why it didnt render side by side please tell me.

Edit: I also am wondering if the servers could pickup on you using a 3rd party programm to modify the game. If so they could ban you because it violates their TOS. (There always is a certain element of danger to modding online games)
Did you get this sorted? I grabbed this last night and everything seemed to work except I also couldn't get side by side working.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

museumsteve wrote:
Marulu wrote:I saw this earlier today on the Oculus sub reddit and tryed it but I couldn't get the game to be displayed in side by side mode.

Did you get this sorted? I grabbed this last night and everything seemed to work except I also couldn't get side by side working.
Yes i did get it to work, you have to edit a profile in iZ3D and change it to the exe of War Thunder and you have to set War Thunder as the name of the application.

museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

Marulu wrote: Yes i did get it to work, you have to edit a profile in iZ3D and change it to the exe of War Thunder and you have to set War Thunder as the name of the application.
Thanks mate..I'll have another look this weekend :)
miahallen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by miahallen »

This looks really amazing....looking forward to giving it a shot :)
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

If you need any help setting it up, just ask. My favorite Riftable game by far now (airplane guy though so that adds some bias :) ).
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

Maybe a pointer with the IZ3D profile bit..I cant see where the profiles are in the IZ3D folder :?
3dcoffee
Cross Eyed!

Post by 3dcoffee »

I have wasted couple of hours on it last week, and could not get it working, so uninstalled and am waiting on the official rift support.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

I seem to have everything working except SBS :(
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

museumsteve wrote:Maybe a pointer with the IZ3D profile bit..I cant see where the profiles are in the IZ3D folder :?
You don't have to edit a file in order to edit/create a profile, you can do that in iZ3D itself.
Open iz3d control panel and click on profiles in the site bar.
All you have to do there is just take a profile of another game and change the name of the files to the war thunder files.

museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

Marulu wrote:
museumsteve wrote:Maybe a pointer with the IZ3D profile bit..I cant see where the profiles are in the IZ3D folder :?
You don't have to edit a file in order to edit/create a profile, you can do that in iZ3D itself.
All you have to do there is just take a profile of another game and change the name of the files to the war thunder files.
Tried that and it didn't help me.
I chose world of conflict, changed the name to War Thunder and the exe to aces (or whatever it is as not at that PC right now).
It didn't seem to do anything when I hit APPLY. Also, if I apply, would it save it for next time I open it?
Everything else is fine..even in game I can zoom in and out with overlay so I know most of it's done.
I'll try again tomorrow ;) Be patient with me :lol:
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

museumsteve wrote:
Marulu wrote:
Tried that and it didn't help me.
I chose world of conflict, changed the name to War Thunder and the exe to aces (or whatever it is as not at that PC right now).
It didn't seem to do anything when I hit APPLY. Also, if I apply, would it save it for next time I open it?
Everything else is fine..even in game I can zoom in and out with overlay so I know most of it's done.
I'll try again tomorrow ;) Be patient with me :lol:
Yes, the profiles are being saved, try running both the game and iZ3D as administrator.
If this doesn't work I am going to send you a few files to inject the 3D rendering directly using .dll files.

RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

ok, oculus head tracking work since 2...3..4 hours. But i didnt get it working in War Thunder...
IZ3d should produce the side by side image on the main desktop
Thats the reason why... but:

NO NO NO! .... it doesnt work!! .... i am sorry for the puplic game players. I was the freak crashing the aiplane all the day.

I am new to IZ3d. I tested Serios Sam HD. Start the programm - and i get side-by side view. All perfect. But with war thunder i dont know whats wrong... :(

I am tired. Good Night!
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Guys, did you into the launcher options, and set up the custom graphics as in the document?

If you did, in that same pane, change 'Render: ' to 'winXP' in the 'Debug Settings' bit.

That got it going for me.
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

You have it working? What do you think? What seperation settings are you using? We're looking for feedback to keep updating the setup page, thanks!
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

WiredEarp wrote:change 'Render: ' to 'winXP' in the 'Debug Settings' bit.

That got it going for me.
ok, with this setting i get side-by-side view iZ3D. I will test the Oculus Rift support later.

---
First Feedback:
* Above Setting was the Problem and Solution.
* It Works! - i can Fly Airplanes! :D - and Shot Airplanes! :twisted: *holy poop*
* In my IZ3D there is no "Status and Methods" - its called "Direct X"
* In my IZ3D there is no "Disable Driver" - its called "Disable Stereo"
* In my IZ3D there is no "Enable Driver" - its called "Enable Stereo"

atm the Settings are the Problem - cant find the following. (But i was somehow able to activate Head-Tracking... 0_o)
9.) Launch War Thunder. Under Menu -> Controls
Choose Use Zoom With Head Tracking
Under Zoom Axis set Relative Control to Yes
I try the fine-tune some settings and want to get familar with the game. ;)

Ladies and gentlemen please fasten your seatbelts // Lets see what is out there - Engage!

More later...
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

Excellent! I will double check those other settings and adjust the guide. We may have a better resolution to try too (1910 x 1070).
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Hey guys, this game might soon have native Rift support, the devs of the game tweeted a picture of their dev kit using the official WarThunder twitter account.

museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

I'm really close...SBS works by changing render to winXP but for some reason, even after changing the resolution to 1280x1080 my PC defaults to 1024x768 :? and this seems to throw the images out. Why shouldnt the res be 1280x800 (out of interest)
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Did you make the cfg file read only?

I've gotten it going but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Tonight! :)
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

Yeah..I set it to 1280x1080 and read only yet it always comes up 1024x768. I just tried saving it as 1280x800 and it showed 1280x800 when i started the game...but the res is no good for the game.
I'm trying this on a Vaio i7 laptop. Maybe I'll try again on a different PC this week.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

@ Marulu:
Hey guys, this game might soon have native Rift support, the devs of the game tweeted a picture of their dev kit using the official WarThunder twitter account.
That would be great - its a bit of a PITA to setup currently.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

WiredEarp wrote:@ Marulu:
That would be great - its a bit of a PITA to setup currently.
It also is currently against their TOS and could get your account suspended :/

mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

Marulu wrote:
It also is currently against their TOS and could get your account suspended :/
No guarantees, but they know we've had ours for awhile, and they are aware of what we are doing (and our progress). They haven't told us to stop it yet, so I think we are OK for now.
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

Use resolution 1440 x 1080. That has been working very well.

One last video. Ventured out of custom missions and into the main Arcade. It is a lot of fun! No radar, virtual cockpit hard to use (but go real anyway as it is MUCH cooler!), but you can still do quite well. Haven't had this much fun with video games, dare I say ever :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_AFBKOIZPE&hd=1
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

I got this up and running at last and have had some fun but sure I need some tweaks :)

I don't seem to be able to get a good screen ratio...the plane/cockpit seems too stretched/tall. I can't get my FOV far enough back and don't know how to change it. I think I may have a hydra/tracker setting wrong cos I assumed the hydra would alter the FOV.
Also I can't get the IZ3D hotkeys to work so I cant tweak any of the settings. I don't have a numpad on the keyboard I'm using so I changed the keys but didn't make any difference.

Whilst it's not 100% for me right now, it felt so much better than the racers I tried (and I prefer racers to flyers)...I'll dig out my Saitek X52's tomorrow
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

Go back to 1240 x 1080. The distortion seems MUCH less there with only a little detail loss.

The profile we came up with for OpenTrack should zoom you back when you center up the game. I'm still looking for a way to sit just a little further back in the game. One of the tabs (at work, can't see at the moment) in OpenTrack lets you set the starting point at center for any given access. Look to see if that is in your setup if you aren't using the config from the guide.

IZ3D makes a profile for every game you play. If you look in the list, you'll see aces. Choose that one from the list, then make changes (like the hotkeys, show onscreen display, etc) and it will work. It sounds like you are just changing the default profile (which is what tripped me up for awhile too).
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

I've given up for now...I seem to be going in circles and just getting frustrated, so I'll come back to it in a week or so...I'll give my rift a week off and get back to racing for a bit (on screens)

Return to “Oculus VR”