The Stomping Land (Kickstarter Dino Day-Z Game)

mattyeatsmatts
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

The Stomping Land (Kickstarter Dino Day-Z Game)

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Just found out about this and I think it sounds awesome and is kinda of what I suggested would be my killer app and if it gets 200k on kickstarter they will support the rift. ps I think theyll make it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/524 ... y_launched

here is an article
http://o.canada.com/2013/05/07/the-stom ... ention-to/
strangedays
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: The Stomping Land (Kickstarter Dino Day-Z Game)

Post by strangedays »

I'm surprised this doesn't have more comments.

A few things that I would like to see in a game like this.

1. Analogue movement - stalking prey (the movement at the moment looks unrealistic). Skill necessary to actually get close enough to kill something and the skill to make the kill. (eg. wind direction, using cover, setting up ambushes, mastering skills with weaponry.) It should be a challenge.
2. Females (social aspect/property) - some kind of way to make it about building your own tribe and their protection. For example, having a cave, and building culture ie cave paintings, tribe etc, having an effect on how effective you are at hunting, allowing you to gain the ability to get closer to and target bigger and better food sources.
3. Evil massive scary looking dinosaurs.
4. Being hunted yourself and having to manage that.
5. Other tribes.
6. Making fire.

I'm a bit more sim than arcade, but I think this is a great concept. OR should not be a stretch goal. This should be redesigned for OR.

As it is, I'll be honest (hate to be THAT guy) but I probably wouldn't kick in at the moment. Looks a little too arcadey. But thats me. I'm more Rainbow Six than Counterstrike. I'm sure there will be heaps of people interested in the game as is, and wish the developer luck. It's an awesome concept.
Paintbrush
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Paintbrush »

Hm, doesn't look that appealing to me. I love the idea of dinosaurs in Rift, however I'd much prefere some kind of exploration/adventure game, where finally seeing a dinosaur would really be an event... instead of running around and shooting as many of them as possible.
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

True, an exploration of the jurassic times would be more up my alley. I want that feeling I had the first time I watched Jurassic Park back again. but this if done well still could be fun but the more I think about it I dont think a 1 man team can pull off what we need of a dinosaur game though.
remosito

Post by remosito »

yeah, would prefer a more exploration oriented dinosaur game as well.

But this looks fun enough. And having your upper torso bitten off by a t-rex while wearing a rift.
That alone is worth the entry price of 15$ to me. :woot
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
rhinosix
Cross Eyed!

Post by rhinosix »

I love dinosaurs and survival games, but this doesn't look very compelling.

It doesn't seem like there's an ultimate goal, story, or very entertaining mechanics. I'm not loving the cold plain blue and green colours.
200k for Rift support is a bit of a stretch when the original target is 20k. And it doesn't seem well suited for the Rift - flat terrain, not much detail, and lots of on-screen menus to navigate through.

The one-shot kills and that jump aren't doing much for me either. Like Paintbrush, I'd rather see a game with some atmosphere, lush jungles, exploration, and feeling of suspense.

If you really wanted to make a dinosaur game for the Rift it could be intense. You don't want to see a T-Rex scooting around in the distance. You want it to be like the scene in Jurassic Park, where you're huddled beneath a bush, you look up and see a huge foot step over you. Then seconds later hear it sniffing around, growling. And you know if you run for it at the wrong time, you're going to get spotted, chomped, and thrown into the air before you're devoured.

I think this game, also in the survival genre looks a lot more interesting:

http://survivetheforest.com/hom/
Dr.Omnibus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dr.Omnibus »

looks like a neat idea/game, but 200K for rift support? I don't see it happening. Especially when they are only aiming for 20K.
Benjimoron
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Benjimoron »

Suprised to see so many people not like the idea. I personally love it! I don't think you can watch the video and believe that's the final game and it'll look and feel exactly like that, it could well turn into something more like what you guys above describe. With regards to lack of story, how do you know there's no story? Or it could be like DayZ where the players make the story, if you've ever watched a decent DayZ video you'll know what I mean.

I also don't think that you can judge the price of the rift support compared to the 20k he's asking for the game, that's a very low amount to be asking and is obviously just enough so he can make it on his own but to do it properly would require alot more work from outside. So it's not like the other 180k is gonna be spent on the rift support!!
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

Dr.Omnibus wrote:looks like a neat idea/game, but 200K for rift support? I don't see it happening. Especially when they are only aiming for 20K.
Like he said (afaik there is no "they" its just him) in the Video, 20k is the value he needs to finish the game himself without any support, everything else is stretch goal. Better grpahics, bigger game World etc. Thus I don't see the aim of 20k as something that stops people supporting it. But I agree 200k seems a little high. On the other hand it just started and already got $31.000 (which is almost the half of what The Gallery got in its entire campaign).

I'll keep an eye on it.
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.

Return to “Oculus VR”