Heads-off display: Oculus Rift experiment puts players in a

GuNStArHeRo
One Eyed Hopeful

Heads-off display: Oculus Rift experiment puts players in a

Post by GuNStArHeRo »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbZhWrgtRYk

An Oculus Rift-enabled experiment to come out of the Exile Game Jam in Vallekilde, Denmark, puts players on the chopping block of a guillotine in a title dubbed Disunion.

Developed in two days by the warped and creative trio of Erkki Trummal, André Berlemont and Morten Burnjberg, Disunion's effect is further amplified by a well-timed strike to the player's neck as the guillotine performs its duty. Mean, but hilarious shenanigans ensue!

Disunion is available for download to those with Oculus Rift units, but note that hitting yourself in the back of the head as the blade touches down will not provide the same effect. It's just weird.

(Original link: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/06/heads ... in-a-guil/)
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Re: Heads-off display: Oculus Rift experiment puts players i

Post by Jose »

Hahaha. I like the karate-chop haptics. :lol:
nanicoar
Cross Eyed!

Post by nanicoar »

That is just... :woot

lol
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

Here's a great write-up of the Exile Jam: http://www.igda.dk/2013/05/06/exile-spr ... periences/

And a link to the winner of the jam, another neat Rift demo (using the Playstation Move) http://www.mimicrygames.com/core/conten ... d=30&ufr=1

I love the idea of everyone at a game jam just messing around with game mechanics, narratives, and world designs to explore VR creativity. I hope more pop up as devkits ship out... there are rumors of 7 Day FPS coming back around, and I bet some really strange first person Rift game ideas could come out of it.
Felix12g
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Felix12g »

One big immersion killer it seems to me is people twisting around to look up at the blade. From that, it seems with the more freedom people are less connected and react less, going whole hog might be too much though. That being said, an amusing follow-up to this would be a headsman scenario.

In addition to their directions to keep your hands crossed at their back, include light pressure on their back by the "chopper" to keep them in place.

Instruct them to lay with their head facing left/right.

Introduce an animated Headsman with a nice big axe, complete with a hood. Let the headsman walk up and take his time preparing to increase the anticipation, all in full view of the player.

Long wind-up with the axe and a repeat of the chopper "haptics" and compare the amount and severity of the reaction with the guillotine setup.

Then again, that might be pushing it for a "lets see what happens" test.
neverman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by neverman »

I do like them bend over……pick up the soap will ya? :woot
Oculus rift,it's here,I'm there.
neverman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by neverman »

I'm sorry,my superhero special ability: "stopping conversation" works again!
Oculus rift,it's here,I'm there.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Felix12g wrote:One big immersion killer it seems to me is people twisting around to look up at the blade. From that, it seems with the more freedom people are less connected and react less, going whole hog might be too much though. That being said, an amusing follow-up to this would be a headsman scenario.

In addition to their directions to keep your hands crossed at their back, include light pressure on their back by the "chopper" to keep them in place.

Instruct them to lay with their head facing left/right.

Introduce an animated Headsman with a nice big axe, complete with a hood. Let the headsman walk up and take his time preparing to increase the anticipation, all in full view of the player.

Long wind-up with the axe and a repeat of the chopper "haptics" and compare the amount and severity of the reaction with the guillotine setup.

Then again, that might be pushing it for a "lets see what happens" test.
Sounds great - but why not have it local co-op with a second player playing the headsman using a hydra/move? :D
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Felix12g
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Felix12g »

Heh, now that'd be fun.
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

neverman wrote:I'm sorry,my superhero special ability: "stopping conversation" works again!
wow, youre powers are increasing!!!!

Return to “Oculus VR”