Firma - Game Demo

digitaljohn
One Eyed Hopeful

Firma - Game Demo

Post by digitaljohn »

Hi:

Here is a demo of a game 'Firma' I am working on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4o5wkw72323mzfa/FIRMA.zip

Currently the game only supports an XBox 360 controller. I am curious if the controls are too complex or not.

It follows standard 1st person shooter controls as follows...

Left Analog stick = Forward, Backwards, Strafe left/right.
Right Analog Stick = Rotate left/right.
Either trigger = Thrust up.
A = Restart if you die.

Please let me know what you think... I am considering a small kickstarter campaign to support development.

Thoughts?

Regards:

John
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Firma - Game Demo

Post by GeraldT »

you could at least post a screen shot before asking people to download and try it :)
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
digitaljohn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digitaljohn »

GeraldT wrote:you could at least post a screen shot before asking people to download and try it :)
Here is a video of an older version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciEMiWmWWoo
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

wow - looks quite cool! I would dl if I had my Rift :)
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

Cool!

I saw your post on Oculus VR forums before you had a demo up and it looked really fun and arcade-y. I hope it plays just as well as "Planet 1" demo by zwickarr.

So many demos! The cockpit/vehicle demos are really good! I will try this soon.
LordJuanlo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by LordJuanlo »

I'll check it out when I get home, it looks really good. The first mission brought back memories of the training level for X-Wing, when you had to maneuver under the gates.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
Bartdesign
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bartdesign »

Awesome demo. One of the better ones yet. I love lunar lander type games. And nice map view :-)
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

Out of all the flying vehicle rift demos, firma's control (on xbox controller) feels best and made sense very quickly.

I immediately wanted to fly outside of the map boundries. Nothing about the map indicated that I would blow up when reaching the map edge. That startled me.

Immediately after spawning, flying straight up and then holding forward will eventually make two cylinders visible eventually. I have no idea what those are.

Rolling down the mountain is hilarious because the vehicle explodes at all points of impact.

I feel rewarded when hearing beeping noises. I think I'd enjoy a beeping noise or some kind of audio feedback after passing through an arch or landing on a pad.

The player body model looks really good. It looks like it's holding an invisible joystick though. I think it would be immersive if it was holding a gamepad of some sort.

There's no transition between dying and spawning. I think it would be more immersive if there was a transition. Even something simple -- like the windows fade to 0% transparency, vehicle moves to spawn point, then windows fade back to 100% transparency, all in less than 1 second -- might help.

Very cool demo! I enjoyed it a lot.
digitaljohn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digitaljohn »

Jose wrote:Out of all the flying vehicle rift demos, firma's control (on xbox controller) feels best and made sense very quickly.

I immediately wanted to fly outside of the map boundries. Nothing about the map indicated that I would blow up when reaching the map edge. That startled me.

Immediately after spawning, flying straight up and then holding forward will eventually make two cylinders visible eventually. I have no idea what those are.

Rolling down the mountain is hilarious because the vehicle explodes at all points of impact.

I feel rewarded when hearing beeping noises. I think I'd enjoy a beeping noise or some kind of audio feedback after passing through an arch or landing on a pad.

The player body model looks really good. It looks like it's holding an invisible joystick though. I think it would be immersive if it was holding a gamepad of some sort.

There's no transition between dying and spawning. I think it would be more immersive if there was a transition. Even something simple -- like the windows fade to 0% transparency, vehicle moves to spawn point, then windows fade back to 100% transparency, all in less than 1 second -- might help.

Very cool demo! I enjoyed it a lot.
Thanks Jose!

Yes... the demo is very very early in its development and a lot of things dont make sense currently...

The cylinders are actually the legs of the ship. They give the landing a nice bounce. Its a unity glitch that makes them drift and not be fully attached to the body of the ship. I am yet to figure out what exactly is going on. Any thoughts?

Your other comments make sense and ill be looking to implement them.

Regards:

John
RobisWaiting
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RobisWaiting »

First time poster!

(and I also posted for the first time on reddit about this demo...)

Just wanted to say I LOVE this demo... It really is my favorite... The sense of immersion and the sense of movement are unlike any of the other demos I've played thus far... Frankly, I don't understand why more people aren't commenting on it! I get equal parts glee from launching up high and then dropping, as well as speeding through the arches...

I think I fall into the fairly-easy-to-get-motion-sick category, and to be sure this demo will turn my stomach if I start spinning too quickly, but it's much easier on my brain than several others...

If you are looking for constructive criticism or ideas here's a couple:

I would love to see you make the back wall made of glass/plexiglass as well so that it's possible to completely turn around.
I would love to see the area made larger with a larger portion of flatish lands, so that jetting across at high speed can be sustained.
Particles or asteroids or objects to run into would be fun.
And obviously any kind of additional gameification would be welcomed...

Can't stress enough how much I dig this demo though... Makes me so excited for what's to come...
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Tried this one last night for the first time. I liked it a lot. Its very 'helicopter controls' which I like, and it gives a real sense of movement. Good work!

To improve it, i'd make the map MUCH larger, and remove the maximum height limit - apart from those minor issues, its a great demo and will be added to the list of ones I used to show off my Rift.
digitaljohn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digitaljohn »

RobisWaiting wrote:First time poster!

(and I also posted for the first time on reddit about this demo...)

Just wanted to say I LOVE this demo... It really is my favorite... The sense of immersion and the sense of movement are unlike any of the other demos I've played thus far... Frankly, I don't understand why more people aren't commenting on it! I get equal parts glee from launching up high and then dropping, as well as speeding through the arches...

I think I fall into the fairly-easy-to-get-motion-sick category, and to be sure this demo will turn my stomach if I start spinning too quickly, but it's much easier on my brain than several others...

If you are looking for constructive criticism or ideas here's a couple:

I would love to see you make the back wall made of glass/plexiglass as well so that it's possible to completely turn around.
I would love to see the area made larger with a larger portion of flatish lands, so that jetting across at high speed can be sustained.
Particles or asteroids or objects to run into would be fun.
And obviously any kind of additional gameification would be welcomed...

Can't stress enough how much I dig this demo though... Makes me so excited for what's to come...
Wow... hearing your enthusiasm almost brought a tear to my eye. I was starting to feel a bit demotivated after the minimal feedback the demo has been getting.

I plan on adding lots. Some maps will require intricate maneuvering on a small area and some will be a speed run over miles of terrain!
kt9mango
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kt9mango »

Downloading this, will test and let you know how I get on ;)
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

digitaljohn wrote:Wow... hearing your enthusiasm almost brought a tear to my eye. I was starting to feel a bit demotivated after the minimal feedback the demo has been getting.

I think there is a higher percentage of us than you think without an XBOX controller.

I am very excited for this game and have been vocal about it before but I don't have an XBOX controller.
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

Wow, Thanks digitaljohn, please continue this demo. I would support a kickstarter for further development. Certain demo's on the RIFT feel less like a game, and more like an experience. This is one of them... incredible. My only suggestion at this time, is to transition to a fade for the respawn. The more "lost" you are in an experience, the more jarring it is to have things change rapidly,... With it being in early development, i don't really have much critisium, as I'm sure you plan on polishing it up. Keep us updated on development, and keep adding updated download links! =D
WhoIsRich
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WhoIsRich »

Out of all the applications I have tried so far, I enjoyed this the most. The controls were simple to understand but also provide a challenge, and the head movement is done well causing very little motion sickness compared to other stuff. The only weird thing is looking down and seeing crossed hands where I expect an xbox controller.

You need to make a bigger course with some moving hoops for me to fly through! :)
digitaljohn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digitaljohn »

Hey people:

Ive been making some progress. Updated models, added a gameplay mechanic etc... Ill post an updated demo soon.

For now heres a teaser of how its looking:

Regards:

John
LukePoga
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LukePoga »

cool john. i am downloading now.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Teaser image looks superb. Can't wait to try this - when I get my Rift, that is :)
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Bartdesign
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bartdesign »

Excellent, can't wait to try out the new version.
WhoIsRich
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WhoIsRich »

Looking forward to trying the new version.

It would handy if you put a date in the file name or under the link, so we know when the download is a newer version.
chispy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by chispy »

I got to try this yesterday at digitaljohns place and it is awesome and HARD. I am a novice rifter and experienced some nausea but that was likely because I haven't done it before. The sense of flying is really great and I recommend everyone to try it!
digitaljohn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digitaljohn »

Update...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsp2Yx4PPto
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

Wow! Firma is starting to look really polished.

I would like to try out the latest version, if that's ok with you.
zacherynuk
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by zacherynuk »

Where's the latest download mate ?
mrgrey
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mrgrey »

Wow, looks really cool. Cannot wait to try this out when my rift arrives

#584xx UK
whoisonline
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by whoisonline »

This is great, I love it, the controllers are easy to use, don't feel sick unless I start to do 360's etc.
It works and it works well.
I've posted on
http://virtualreality.com.au/2013/08/04/demo-firma/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr-hAR4-9yc
Paintbrush
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Paintbrush »

Where can we find the updated demo?
goodl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by goodl »

I don't think it's released
whoisonline
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by whoisonline »

Hi .. looks like a few of my youtube subscribers are busting for an update or something .. hopefully it comes soon.

Return to “Oculus VR”